Wagoner: Weinke A Big Fan of Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Will have more later but just spent some time with new Rams QB coach Chris Weinke. Extremely impressive, full of energy.

Weinke a big fan of Sam Bradford. Said other than Andrew Luck, Bradford is best QB he's evaluated coming out of college.

Weinke said he's always wanted to move up, had set a goal of 5 years at IMG before advancing. Five years would've been 2 months from now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, I'm a fan of Weinke being a fan of Sam, so I got that going for me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We're all big Bradford fans when Sam is on the field, we just need some hope for durability. What I really want to know is what Weinke thinks about the likes of Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty and Garrett Grayson?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Adding Chris Weinke important for Rams' QB pursuits
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...g-chris-weinke-important-for-rams-qb-pursuits

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- One way or another, the St. Louis Rams are going to add a young quarterback at some point this offseason. With that in mind, coach Jeff Fisher wanted to talk to former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke.

"There's going to be a time whether its here in two months or three months or whenever that we're going to have a young quarterback," Fisher said at last week's combine. "I don't think there is anybody better qualified to coach a young quarterback than him."

So it was that Weinke arrived in Indianapolis as the director of the football program at IMG Academy and left as the Rams quarterbacks coach. In some ways, it's entirely possible that adding Weinke to the mix might be one of the best moves the Rams will make this offseason.

Although this is Weinke's first foray into coaching at the NFL level, the type of experience he does have might be more beneficial than if he had been working in the league for the past five years. Working at IMG afforded Weinke the chance to come to St. Louis with perhaps the most diversified portfolio of any quarterbacks coach in the league.

"At the end of the day, I've been able to touch a lot of different guys with a lot of different skill sets coming from a lot of different backgrounds," Weinke said. "You have to adapt and you've got to be able to understand the importance of every quarterback as an individual. You may be able to understand something visually or you may have to write it down. I need to know what my quarterbacks can handle. So I will coach every quarterback with certain fundamentals, let them have some flexibility within that but then understand how they learn because that's the most important thing."

Along the way, Weinke worked with Carolina's Cam Newton, who came from a system that asked very little in terms of regurgitation and playing under center. For eight weeks in 2011, while the NFL was in a lockout, Weinke spent his mornings teaching Newton the finer points of taking snaps and basics like how to take a play call and spit it out in a huddle rather than look to the sideline for a number or a signal.

When those sessions were done, Weinke would turn his attention to working with another incoming rookie, Christian Ponder. He helped both essentially install their new offenses while their pro coaches weren't allowed to even have contact with their rookie quarterbacks.

The list of quarterbacks to work with Weinke also includes Seattle's Russell Wilson, Minnesota's Teddy Bridgewater and Miami's Ryan Tannehill, among others. The detailed Weinke draws on his many years as a quarterback -- he's kept every note and game plan he's ever taken from Pop Warner to now -- to adapt to whatever style of quarterback he's working with.

The key, according to Weinke, isn't trying to reinvent the wheel so much as tweak it to become more efficient.

"I think when you look at all the different styles I've seen, what i do is not try to create a robot," Weinke said. "That's not what I'm trying to do. I want these guys to be able to play with confidence. I'm not going to try to change somebody's throwing motion. That's not what I'm in the business of doing. I'm going to take it and maybe tweak it a little so we can maximize whatever the good Lord gave him. So at the end of the day, I always said when you were a kid and picked up a rock and threw it in the lake, that's your natural throwing motion and you've been doing that your whole life. So who am I to think now at 20, 21, 22 years old that I'm going to change that? That's not a very smart move."

Instead, Weinke's focus is on fundamentals, starting with footwork and building from there up.

"It's hard for a one-legged man to be in a kickboxing fight, right?" Weinke said. "So understand you have got to have balance. How do we throw the football with maximum power from a good platform and be consistent and throw with accuracy? At the end of the day, we all understand that you must throw the football with anticipation in the National Football League."

In St. Louis, most signs point to Weinke working with Sam Bradford. Bradford is the only quarterback under contract and though his agent Tom Condon is in a serious game of chicken with the Rams at the moment, it still seems likely he'll be in St. Louis when all is said and done. Weinke and Bradford had dinner before Weinke was hired and Weinke has nothing but good things to say about Bradford.

"Love him," Weinke said. "I look back and every guy that I've evaluated coming out of college, a few years ago when Andrew Luck came out, they said who would you compare him to? And the closest I would see is Sam Bradford."

But even if Bradford is on board, the likelihood remains that the Rams will spend a relatively high pick on a new quarterback. Before Weinke, it was fair to wonder whether they had the coaching staff in place to take on a project from a spread system like UCLA's Brett Hundley or Baylor's Bryce Petty and develop him into a functional NFL quarterback.

With Weinke in place, you'd be hard-pressed to find a quarterback bringing something to the table he hasn't already seen.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Weinke is high on Bradford
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0790b625-a067-5ebd-9842-c9f4aafeb8dc.html

No sales pitch was necessary to get new Rams quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke on board with Sam Bradford.

“Love him. Love him,” Weinke replied when asked about the Rams’ presumptive starting QB for 2015. “Historically, I look back at every guy that I’ve evaluated coming out of college.

“A few years ago when Andrew Luck came out they said who would you compare him to? And I said the closest I would see is Sam Bradford.

“And I say that without knowing Sam. I’d never met Sam until this process. Looking at his physical skill set. And then obviously talking to people and understanding his mental capacity and his football IQ, and all those different things.

“Sam by far has had the best pro day out of any guy I’ve ever evaluated from a physical standpoint. And he was coming off an injury at that point in time. So when you look at a guy who’s a pure passer of the football from a physical standpoint, he’s as good as anybody I’ve ever evaluated.”

Keep in mind, Weinke was talking about what he saw in Bradford as an NFL prospect when he turned pro in 2010. Not anything that’s happened in the pros. One more thing: Weinke didn’t begin evaluating college QBs in earnest until the year Bradford came out because that’s the same year Weinke became director of IMG Academy — a training/performance facility in Bradenton, Fla. So it’s not like Weinke is talking about a long period of time.

As part of Weinke’s interview process in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago, Weinke had dinner with Bradford. New Rams offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti also attended.

“I flew in on a Monday, Frank picked me up at the airport, and we went and met Sam for dinner,” Weinke saiid. “We spent about 3 ½ hours together.”

Weinke approached the dinner as more of a getting-to-know-you session, as opposed to him interviewing Bradford or vice versa.

“It was comfortable from the get-go,” Weinke said. “What we shared at that dinner was simply, hey, who are you? Who am I? Can we work together? What would this environment look like if I was the guy in that room coaching you?”

Bradford is the only quarterback currently under contract on the Rams’ offseason roster. So, yes, Weinke’s excited about having the opportunity to work with Bradford in 2015. He also put in an unsolicited plug for last year’s Rams backup, Shaun Hill, who is a pending free agent.

“I see a guy that I would love to have back,” Weinke said. “I don’t make those decisions, but Shaun is a consummate pro, and a guy that I actually played with in San Francisco in 2007.”

Weinke was in the final season of his seven-season career in ’07. Hill was in his fifth season, but had not thrown an NFL regular-season pass until playing in three games and making two starts in ’07 for the 49ers.

The San Francisco quarterbacks coach that year was none other than Cignetti. Weinke wasn’t signed that year until early December. In fact, he was at that year’s Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York when he got the call.

“I had a tuxedo on, and I got a call from Scot McCloughan, the general manager,” Weinke recalled. “He said, ‘(Trent) Dilfer just had a concussion, we need you out here for three weeks.’ I jumped on a plane from New York, went right to San Francisco.”

Even though he was with Cignetti for only a few weeks at the end of that season, they stayed in touch and have maintained a relationship over the years. So knowing Cignetti should help make it a smoother transition for Weinke. And should Hill get re-signed by the Rams, Weinke will have another familiar face in the building at Rams Park.

As for Bradford, he and Weinke already have some common ground. They’ve both won Heisman trophies — Weinke in 2000 and Bradford in 2008 at Oklahoma.

So what did Weinke like about that Bradford pro day in the spring of 2010 that left such a lasting impression?

“The ability to throw the ball with ease,” Weinke said. “And put maximum revolutions on a football and throw with great accuracy. That’s a key, obviously, at this position.

“When you looked at it, he never looked like he was trying to muscle a throw. He never looked like anything was too hard for him. He was able to make all of those throws with ease and great accuracy. And those are the key points.”

Weinke said you can see the veins popping out of the neck of quarterbacks who try to put too much on the ball.

“Because they’re trying to throw the football hard,” he said. “That’s not what we’re going to do. That’s not how we’re going to operate.”

During his dinner with Bradford, Weinke said he talked about the confidence that he would instill in Rams quarterbacks. Echoing comments made by Cignetti two weeks ago about simplifying the playbook and the offense overall, Weinke told Bradford he would simplify the game for him.

“Know where we’re throwing the football, and have some fun with,” Weinke said he told Bradford. “So I think it was refreshing for Sam, maybe not knowing who I was as a person, and how I was gonna coach.

“I think he got a little excited about the fact that my whole goal is to get him to play with confidence. That’s it. Or whoever the quarterbacks is, right?”

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I really like this hire. Weinke seems to be ready for the season to start tomorrow!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sounds like a solid choice for our QB coach. Weinke's experiences from college to his coaching duties at IMG Academy sure seem to be very impressive.

I like Fisher's thinking on this hire.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Keep in mind, Weinke was talking about what he saw in Bradford as an NFL prospect when he turned pro in 2010. Not anything that’s happened in the pros. One more thing: Weinke didn’t begin evaluating college QBs in earnest until the year Bradford came out because that’s the same year Weinke became director of IMG Academy — a training/performance facility in Bradenton, Fla. So it’s not like Weinke is talking about a long period of time."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"Keep in mind, Weinke was talking about what he saw in Bradford as an NFL prospect when he turned pro in 2010. Not anything that’s happened in the pros. One more thing: Weinke didn’t begin evaluating college QBs in earnest until the year Bradford came out because that’s the same year Weinke became director of IMG Academy — a training/performance facility in Bradenton, Fla. So it’s not like Weinke is talking about a long period of time."
I know. I zeroed in on that qualifier too.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, J.T.

And this is the other part that people will stick to like glue:
“I think he got a little excited about the fact that my whole goal is to get him to play with confidence. That’s it. Or whoever the quarterbacks is, right?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So it was that Weinke arrived in Indianapolis as the director of the football program at IMG Academy and left as the Rams quarterbacks coach. In some ways, it's entirely possible that adding Weinke to the mix might be one of the best moves the Rams will make this offseason.

So I will coach every quarterback with certain fundamentals, let them have some flexibility within that but then understand how they learn because that's the most important thing."

"Love him," Weinke said. "I look back and every guy that I've evaluated coming out of college, a few years ago when Andrew Luck came out, they said who would you compare him to? And the closest I would see is Sam Bradford."

Music to my ears.... Its just going to be great to say Weinke

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Sam, you can have my ACL. It's only 22 years old, perfect condition with no injuries and 10 years of martial arts. Free tickets for life or B/O.

Seriously though, I would give anything for him to stay healthy. I really like this hire. I hope it works out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There's going to be a lot of pressure on Weinke to perform.:sneaky: