Wagoner: Tuesday News and Notes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2012/09/04/ ... and-notes/

- Just a little bit of housecleaning here today before we get to the real action starting tomorrow.

- The entire roster and coaching staff attended a luncheon benefiting the United Way in downtown St. Louis today. Before and after, they will have some meetings and some film work to handle as preparation begins for Detroit.

- The Rams roster churn seems to have stopped for now though the Rams do have one practice squad spot remaining. The seven current members of the practice squad are: RB Chase Reynolds, LB Aaron Brown, TE Cory Harkey, G Brandon Washington, WR Nick Johnson and DE Mason Brodine.

- Recently released TE Michael Hoomanawanui signed with Washington’s practice squad Tuesday. Interesting to note that the Redskins released Deangelo Peterson, another former Ram, to make room for Hoomanawanui.

- The Rams sent out their game release today and included in it is the first depth chart of the regular season. Now, it’s important to remember that this is UNOFFICIAL, it by no means guarantees anything. But there are a few interesting things to note from it should you be into that kind of thing.

- First, Rokevious Watkins is listed as the 1LG. We don’t know if he’ll start. Heck, he was announced as the starter in pregame in the final preseason game then it was actually Robert Turner. But there’s no doubt that the Rams have been grooming Watkins for the job since the day he arrived. Coach Jeff Fisher has no qualms playing youngsters and Watkins getting a chance would be no surprise. The guess here for now is that Watkins gets the chance. We’ll see how the week goes.

- No surprise here but Rocky McIntosh is listed as the starting SLB. He started the final two preseason games at that spot and appears to have won the job over Mario Haggan, who is listed as the backup and will be a special teams contributor.

- The safety position is also interesting. As it stands, this is how it looks:

SS – Darian Stewart, Craig Dahl, Matt Daniels
FS – Quintin Mikell, Rodney McLeod

Stewart is listed as the starter above Dahl, who got most of the work in the preseason. Again, it very well may not be that way on Sunday in Detroit but it seems Stewart could get the first crack at starting next to Mikell if he’s healthy enough to play.

- Some notes on numbers changes that come with the roster shuffling.

- New additions and their numbers: OT Ty Nsekhe (No. 69), G Shelley Smith (No. 66), RB Terrance Ganaway (No. 42) and DT Kellen Heard (No. 96).

- Also, Rocky McIntosh switched to No. 50 after sharing 59 with Turner in the preseason.
- McLeod switched from 38 to 23.

- Aaron Brown, who had been No. 50 in the preseason, is now No. 54 on the practice squad.
- Brandon Washington, who is on the practice squad, is wearing No. 70.

- That’ll do it for today. The Rams hit the practice field on Wednesday and we’ll have all kinds of updates throughout the week. Thanks for reading.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First, Rokevious Watkins is listed as the 1LG. We don’t know if he’ll start. Heck, he was announced as the starter in pregame in the final preseason game then it was actually Robert Turner. But there’s no doubt that the Rams have been grooming Watkins for the job since the day he arrived. Coach Jeff Fisher has no qualms playing youngsters and Watkins getting a chance would be no surprise. The guess here for now is that Watkins gets the chance. We’ll see how the week goes.

That'll be quite the accomplishment if Rok is the start LG on opening day.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
First, Rokevious Watkins is listed as the 1LG. We don’t know if he’ll start. Heck, he was announced as the starter in pregame in the final preseason game then it was actually Robert Turner. But there’s no doubt that the Rams have been grooming Watkins for the job since the day he arrived. Coach Jeff Fisher has no qualms playing youngsters and Watkins getting a chance would be no surprise. The guess here for now is that Watkins gets the chance. We’ll see how the week goes.

It appeared that he played well enough to get a chance to start, but never got in with the one's, which is a little perplexing for where I sit. Keep in mind, he probably rotated in with the one's in training camp practices, or At least I hope so. On the other hand, Turner, who's a nasty little bugger, like Dahl, can easily step right in and play any of the three interior positions, and IMO, play them very well.

The line played the best in that last game, although, of course, it wasn't against the one's. Still, it was a beautiful thing to see.

Agreed.

Especially if Watkins can hold down the fort this whole year...and learn in the process!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
SunTzu.v.Camus said:
Agreed.

Especially if Watkins can hold down the fort this whole year...and learn in the process!!
I'm really excited about the line and the Rok. It may a take a little while to jell, but IMO, this is the best o-line from one to done in a while. Rok and Turner have really surprised me in a good way. Saffold appears to be on track for a real solid year, his new technique has appeared to stick, but we will have to see when he gets tired, if he falls back to old muscle memory.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
X said:

It appeared that he played well enough to get a chance to start, but never got in with the one's, which is a little perplexing for where I sit. Keep in mind, he probably rotated in with the one's in training camp practices, or At least I hope so. On the other hand, Turner, who's a nasty little bugger, like Dahl, can easily step right in and play any of the three interior positions, and IMO, play them very well.

The line played the best in that last game, although, of course, it wasn't against the one's. Still, it was a beautiful thing to see.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Rok got the job. IMO he was the best option at LG physically, but I thought the staff would hold him back awhile because of his rookie status.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Really happy to hear that Rok and Stewart are starting.

How in the hell is Hoomanuwanui eligible for their practice squad? Must be a misprint?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
smram said:
Really happy to hear that Rok and Stewart are starting.

How in the hell is Hoomanuwanui eligible for their practice squad? Must be a misprint?

Nah its not.

Rams wanted him on the PS here too. He played in 8 games as a rookie and 8 games in his 2nd year. Had he played in 9, he would be inelegible, from my understanding.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be eligible, a player has to have not been on a team's 46-man active game-day roster for more than eight games in any accrued seasons. Hoomanawanui played in exactly 8 games both of his years in the league. IOW, he's barely eligible.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Both of you are right. It sure seemed like he was on the roster, even with his injuries, for more but just flew under the radar.
Hopefully Peterson lands our last PS spot. He looked really fluid running routes and showed good hands as another move TE. I liked what I saw with him.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 0f31a.html

Hoomanawanui to 'Skins practice squad
1Print Email 2012-09-04T12:02:00Z Hoomanawanui to 'Skins practice squadBY JIM THOMAS stltoday.com
9 hours ago • BY JIM THOMAS1Loading…Even though he played in eight games in both the 2010 and 2011 seasons for the Rams, including a total of 11 starts, tight end Michael Hoomanawanui still had practice squad eligibility.

After releasing Hoomanawanui from the active roster Sunday, the Rams had hoped to sign him to their practice squad. Instead, Hoomanawanui is taking the "change of scenery" route and is signing today with the Washington Redskins' practice squad according to league sources.

To free up a practice squad spot for Hoomanawanui, the Redskins released another tight end who was with the Rams this preseason _ undrafted rookie Deangelo Peterson.

A fifth-round draft pick by the Rams in 2010 out of the University of Illinois, Hoomanawanui had 20 catches for 229 yards and three touchdowns in his time with St. Louis.

Practice squad players work with the team in practice, but cannot appear in games.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
If it doesn't work, we can always just sign him off their PS and take him back.

Id be shocked if we ever saw Hoho is a Rams uni again. He obviously doesnt want to be here.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
libertadrocks said:
bluecoconuts said:

Id be shocked if we ever saw Hoho is a Rams uni again. He obviously doesnt want to be here.

Has he specifically commented? I may have missed it. I'm not of the opinion necessarily that he'll be back, I just had no idea that there was any more to it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
libertadrocks said:
bluecoconuts said:

I was just teasing really. I liked the talent, but he's not healthy enough. Sort of like DX.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
smram said:
libertadrocks said:
bluecoconuts said:

Has he specifically commented? I may have missed it. I'm not of the opinion necessarily that he'll be back, I just had no idea that there was any more to it.
I don't think it's just about Uh-oh not wanting to be here. It looked in preseason like he was getting the same kind of treatment as Salas, and we know where that went. Cutting him in favor of the rookie (McNeil) may have been one of those lightbulb things, and he may have realized that he wasn't so much in Fisher/Schotty's plans.

To be on the Rams's roster for 2 years, then relegated to the PS may have been a hard pill to swallow. Somewhere else, not so much.

I'd rather he stayed a Ram, since I don't imagine the Rams staying with 3 TEs for very long.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ram Quixote said:
smram said:
libertadrocks said:
bluecoconuts said:

I don't think it's just about Uh-oh not wanting to be here. It looked in preseason like he was getting the same kind of treatment as Salas, and we know where that went. Cutting him in favor of the rookie (McNeil) may have been one of those lightbulb things, and he may have realized that he wasn't so much in Fisher/Schotty's plans.

To be on the Rams's roster for 2 years, then relegated to the PS may have been a hard pill to swallow. Somewhere else, not so much.

I'd rather he stayed a Ram, since I don't imagine the Rams staying with 3 TEs for very long.
I was listening to Fisher talk about the limited amount of reps available vs getting players ready, and it seemed like a real tough numbers game. Someone will be getting a very decent player in Hoomanawanui if he can stay on the field. I wish it would have been here, but they became real enamored with Mike McNeil. I am anxious to see what he will do.