Wagoner: Safety Competition Just Getting Started

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Safety-Competition-Just-Getting-Started/c80f7a67-d354-47a2-974c-89cc61ae39ce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... cc61ae39ce</a>

McLeod_Feature_660_405_June13.jpg

All across the Rams defense, at nearly every position, you can find a strong mix of veterans and youngsters, players in their prime and those headed in that direction.

Every position, that is, except for one. After an offseason makeover in which veteran starters Quintin Mikell and Craig Dahl moved on, the safety position became one of the most inexperienced position units on the youngest team in the league.

Darian Stewart was the “grizzled” veteran of the group, entering his fourth season in the league, until the team signed eight-year veteran Matt Giordano last week.

The cast surrounding Stewart and Giordano – the duo combined for all of the NFL starts amongst Rams safeties – are Matt Daniels and Rodney McLeod entering their second year in the league and a group of rookies headed by third-round draft pick T.J. McDonald.

Out of the group, only McDonald and Giordano are drafted rookies. But just because they might not be overloaded with experience doesn’t mean the group in place has expectations any different from the rest of the defense.

“I think it’s great motivation,” Daniels said. “You look around the entire defense; the safety position might actually be the youngest within the team, especially on the defense. We are stout at all positions but everyone does question the safety spot. But I don’t question it at all and neither do the coaches or the guys that play the spot. We are looking for the opportunity to go out and make an impact quick and show them just how good we actually are. It’s going to be fun come camp time to go out and see who really shines and who is willing to go out and make the plays.”

Indeed, the competition at safety figures to be one of the team’s most hotly contested by the time training camp kicks off at the end of July. As the roster is currently constructed, the Rams have a total of seven safeties on the roster.

In addition to Stewart, Giordano, Daniels, McLeod and McDonald, the Rams also have undrafted free agent rookies Cody Davis and Cannon Smith.

Through the organized team activities, the Rams began with Stewart and McDonald getting most of the first-team work but a soft tissue injury to Stewart opened the door for McLeod.

Daniels is still recovering from a knee injury but also figures in the mix upon his return. So while it might take a bit to sort out who belongs where, Rams defensive coordinator Tim Walton believes the talent in place can be successful.

“I’m excited so far,” Walton said. “You’ve gotten a chance to see T.J. come in and get a lot of reps right now. He’s been able to step in and pick up things fast. Then you have Rodney McLeod that’s showing a lot of good things. He was on the team last year and showed his athletic ability. I’m impressed by the way guys pick things up, the learning curve of those guys. Then you have (Darian) Stewart, that’s the same way. Those three guys, we think that we’ll have a great group of guys that will be able to help us a lot.”

Although Stewart and Giordano figure to get much of the attention based on experience and McDonald as well based on his draft status and ability to adapt quickly, the two undrafted rookies from last year’s class figure to be wild cards in the competition.

The 5’10, 183-pound McLeod was something of a revelation in last year’s training camp, quickly catching the staff’s eye for his ability on special teams and his speed and coverage skills on the back end of the defense.

Although he wasn’t well known when he arrived in St. Louis, he fought his way to a roster spot and finished the season as the team’s leading special teams tackler with 16.

That’s a role McLeod knows he must fill again but he’s setting his sights on something bigger given the available opportunity at the safety spot.

“I was more so just a special teams player last year,” McLeod said. “I am going to be the same guy this year but I’m looking forward to competing for possibly a starting spot or just having a bigger role on the defense this year.”

By the end of the season, McLeod had played in every game on special teams but had just a handful of snaps on defense. The offseason changes coupled with Stewart’s injury allowed McLeod to get on the field and give coaches a glimpse of what he can do.

While McDonald, Stewart and Daniels provide bigger, perhaps more physical options, McLeod brings a little different element to the table with his speed and coverage skills. The notion that he could fill a nickel corner role if injuries occur has also been kicked around. That could potentially make him an intriguing option should the Rams look for a more skill-diverse safety tandem.

Having started as an undrafted free agent himself, McLeod has no intention of relaxing or getting comfortable knowing that others could be coming for his spot.

“Coming in last year as a free agent, it’s almost like being a walk on in college,” McLeod said. “You have got to prove everything and every single day you have to prove yourself. I feel like this year it’s the same thing. Even though a lot of us are second year players we still have a lot to prove in this league.”

As McLeod got more comfortable as the season went along from his playing experience, his fellow rookie safety Daniels spent the second half of the season on the long road to recovery after he suffered a torn right Anterior Cruciate Ligament on Oct. 28 against New England.

For Daniels, who came to the Rams with a reputation as a smart, hard-hitting type, the injury came just as he was starting to get settled into his position and a previous knee injury was nearly fully healed.

Like McLeod, Daniels’ role to that point had been exclusive to special teams but seemed poised to be more involved before the injury hit.

“I was really starting to get to a point where my knee was starting to feel 100 percent,” Daniels said. “The swelling went away and I was getting a lot more playing time as far as special teams was coming along and making plays there and coaches were really starting to trust me and put trust in me. So I was feeling really great about where I was at and where I was going but football you are one injury away from being sidelined and on I.R. That’s exactly what happened.”

Daniels has been working furiously to rehabilitate the injury but through OTAs had not yet been cleared to return to football activities. For most of the workouts, he was present on the sidelines doing some running.

For now, Daniels feels confident enough in the knee to run full speed in a straight line but is still working on developing the confidence for the cutting and change of direction needed for his position.

Watching as his teammates went through the offseason program was especially frustrating for Daniels given the opportunity to thrust himself into the mix for a spot.

“There’s a big opportunity at the safety spot and it is frustrating at times knowing I can’t be out there to seize the opportunity that is in front of me but training camp comes around and it’s wide open,” Daniels said. “The best will play; it’s as simple as that. So all I can do at this point is just focus on getting 100 percent healthy and once I am healthy just go from there and do whatever it is I have to do.”

Daniels said he and the team’s athletic trainers expectations are that he’ll be ready to go by the time training camp starts and if he’s not he’ll at least be able to ease his way back into the mix.

Having missed the offseason program with a meniscus injury last year and still accomplished enough to make the roster, the idea of entering camp with something to prove is not foreign to Daniels.

Still, Daniels plans to spend all of his offseason time right here in St. Louis working to get back to full speed.

“For the next six weeks I am here,” Daniels said. “I don’t want to go away and come back not 100 percent and then they are sitting there wondering what I was doing. I’d rather put my health in their hands. I know this training staff will do what they need to do to get me back right and on the field.”

When that time comes and all of the Rams get back on the field in full pads with contact permitted, the competition at safety will only heat up further.

Considering the makeup of the safety group – largely underrated players who have earned every chance they’ve had at this level – it’s safe to say nobody is going to back down from the challenge.

The hope for the Rams is that competition will yield a group ready to contribute as much as any other position on the defense.

“A lot of people may think that us being younger is negative but we take it as a positive,” McLeod said. “A lot of guys are hungry and that’s one thing as younger guys, we have fresh legs and we are all just looking to compete, get better and prove people wrong. Even though we are young and may not be as experienced, we are tough and talented young players.”

…..

Legend
I can confidently say I feel no better about our Safety position now than i did before reading the article.

We have a rookie, a couple (Giordano, McCloud) special team aces, a couple UDFA's, and brittle Darian Stewart ( who doesnt seem at all like a 4th year player) to strike no fear in opposing teams.

yay!

nighttrain

Legend
Dog said:
I can confidently say I feel no better about our Safety position now than i did before reading the article.

We have a rookie, a couple (Giordano, McCloud) special team aces, a couple UDFA's, and brittle Darian Stewart ( who doesnt seem at all like a 4th year player) to strike no fear in opposing teams.

yay!
no way it can be worse than last season, there is that
train

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My thought is this...

At least we will no longer be relying on Dahl. That would be far worse in my eyes.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think we will be ok. i hope mcleod is a ball hawk. I think it will be mcleod and mcdonald

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Stewart can stay healthy I like him and IMO he fell out of favor with this coaching staff because he's not the best special team player, however, Stewart does showcase ability on defense.

Now if Stewart can't get out of the tub I feel confident that Rodney McLeod is ready and might be the best option as far as coverage. McDonald will lay the lumber and with him in Stewart they're will be some big hits and if Fisher, DC Tim Walton & DB Coach Chuck Cecil are confident in this group than so am I because all three of them are former DB's.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well here's the thing, and we're all aware of this.

1. We couldn't rebuild the entire roster in 2 offseasons, so we have/had to do it in units.
2. While there were a few safeties available, which one of them was going to "solve" the problem?
3. If you have a surplus of young talent and good coaching, you'll get someone to emerge.
4. Who's not better than Dahl? Instant upgrade.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X doing what he often does, nailing it:

1. We couldn't rebuild the entire roster in 2 offseasons, so we have/had to do it in units.
2. While there were a few safeties available, which one of them was going to "solve" the problem?
3. If you have a surplus of young talent and good coaching, you'll get someone to emerge.

:plus1: :bn:

…..

Legend
X said:

LOL....FINE then.

I'll take number 3 for 500, Alex. :ww:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
My busy arse time of the year quick hit...

Coaching Coaching Coaching...This Rams D is gonna smack u in da mouth..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:
My busy arse time of the year quick hit...

Coaching Coaching Coaching...This Rams D is gonna smack u in da mouth..
Yup yup.

[vimeo]54319081[/vimeo]
<a class="postlink" href="http://vimeo.com/54319081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://vimeo.com/54319081</a>

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Two things I will add here.

First.......I think they did upgrade at safety a little bit, and it was probably pretty far down the priority list. With the DBs and front four I'm not that worried that the defense is going to be exploited.

Second....... we need to put a note on the door to remember to close it.....Eastram snuck in. :nono:

nighttrain

Legend
Dog said:
X said:

LOL....FINE then.

I'll take number 3 for 500, Alex. :ww:

I agree totally with the Dude. Dahl was horrible, and Mikell, while good in the box, not so good in coverage.

I think having the Tree at LB will help immensely, our two safeties will both be cover guys that run, but can also blitz
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see much improvement this season over last year as far as talent pool. Fisher went with five safeties- Mikell, Dahl, Stewart, McLeod & Daniels. I, for one, am not unhappy with the absences of costly$$ Mikell & Dahl. Good Move by Snead & Fisher.

Rodney McLeod has the chance to fill many spots in this secondary. I could easily see Rod performing in the capacities as:

#1-Top Reserve Safety...
#2-Top Gunner on all special teams..
#3-Reserve Nickle behind Finnegan...
#4-5th Corner spot on 53 player roster...

I have concerns with the UNhealthy condition of Darian Stewart! His unhealth gave us Craig Dahl as our 16 game starter @ safety. This ongoing issue may be the reason Fisher has been scraping the FA's bowl and came up with ex Colt & Raider 30 yr old Giordano. Stewart if healthy should nail down a starting position with his biggest trial being that...thus if not his roster spot could be TAKEN by a healthy Giordano. This bares watching. I really doubt that Fisher will put up with Stewart being unable to get on the field on a regular basis this season.

At safety Fisher has two vets, three second yr players & three rookies in a free for all. I wonder how much the training camp & pre season performance of corners Steeples & McGee will have on the safety cadre? I am just fine with these 8 safeties.