Wagoner: RT Rodger Saffold injures shoulder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9552025/rodger-saffold-st-louis-rams-injures-shoulder-cleveland-browns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/s ... and-browns</a>

St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold's first experience playing right tackle ended after just two plays Thursday night when he suffered a left shoulder injury.

Rodger Saffold's shoulder injury set off a round of "here we go again" among Rams faithful, writes Nick Wagoner. Blog

Saffold, who spent his first three years playing left tackle for the Rams, landed awkwardly on his arm as he attempted to block Cleveland linebacker Paul Kruger.

Saffold walked to the locker room after the play and did not return.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher initially indicated that Saffold would be all right during his halftime interview on the team's broadcast.

"Rodger is going to be OK," Fisher said. "He's going to be all right. X-rays were negative, so he'll be all right. He's going to be a little sore, but he'll be OK."

Saffold later returned to the field with his arm in a sling and Fisher was a bit more cautious in his description of the injury, telling the team's radio broadcast that Saffold "may miss a little bit of time," adding, "How much, I don't know."

Injuries for the Rams' offensive line have loomed as a concern heading into the season. Saffold missed six games in 2012 with a knee injury and seven in 2011 with concussion, ankle and pectoral injuries.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lesson said:
Shit. Has Barksdale played RT before?
I dont know,but i thought he played pretty well at RT in relief tnite.

I wonder if Saffold just doesn't have an NFL body. What a bummer,even under best case scenario and he's okay...a trend is a trend.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Lesson said:
shyte. Has Barksdale played RT before?

He played it last year for a few games... Can't remember if he started tho but I know he played and played well. Actually it was LT he played

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Anyone hear anything else yet? How much time will he miss if any?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Time to get Barry Richardson on the phone. Is he playing for anyone else ?

Thank God we signed Jake.

V3

Hall of Fame
Any teams with depth at RT? I'll trade them Pead straight up for one of their backups. I wasn't impressed with whoever filled in for Saffold after he left.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
via Jim Thomas: More tests for Rams RT Rodger Saffold on Fri in StL, but even best-case scenario probably has him missing a week or two w/shoulder injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profiles/2011/Joseph-Barksdale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Pro ... -Barksdale</a>

This draft profile has held true. In reference to the questions on Barksdale playing ORT in the NFL? He started two games last yr for the Rams @ LEFT OT that was it when the starting ORT Richardson was hurt Boudreau did not send in Barksdale he sent in Wayne Hunter & Chris Williams. He was drafted as a starting ORT for the Raiders in 2011 but could not win the position. He dressed for the 2011 16 games but never saw action @ ORT. He was counted on to win the RIGHt OT position in 2012 but once again was beat out by a journeyman OT and was one of two reserve OT's but he was unable to hold on to that spot and was released.

LSU recruited him as a DT but he was not aggressive enough so the moved him to OT in 2007 where he was a reserve ORT. In 2008 season he started all 13 games for the Tigers at RIGHT OT. The 2009 season he started 12 games @ RIGHT OT. In 2010 Barksdale was Switched from right tackle to left tackle as a senior, starting all 13 games for the Tigers at that position. The most positive thing I can say about Barksdale is he was NEVER injured while playing OT for LSU very dependable in this area but so was Saffold.

I have been hoping since last yr that Boudreau would NOT use Barksdale @ the Rams main ORT back up. He is not the answer as a starting ORT in the NFL.

The Saffold injury puts Saffold behind in his learning grade to play and be an effective NFL Right OT. He continued to have legitimate issues with Chris Long & William Hayes for the entire training camp. Missing one to two weeks of pre-season is NOT good but that's what Saffold has been doing as a Ram since his rookie 2010 season. Saffold's back up thus far has been Ty Nsekhe who has been manhandled @ ORT. Ty play much better on the left side. Barksdale has been mostly on the LEFT side playing part time with the #1's in place of Jake Long who has been held back some along with Wells. The other ORT's Braden Brown has been injured for most of TC and Terrell Brown was released. OT Sean Hooey is nothing but a camp body. OT Graham Pocic is a new arrival little is known at this time. The best hope IMO @ this time is to move Barksdale from OLT & Harvey Dahl from ORG to get some action @ ORT. If your starting OT is Rodger Saffold you better have several back up OT's ready to start for him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Selassie I said:

Don't you mean Rastah? :ww:

But yeah ,thank sumbuddy

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thordaddy said:
Selassie I said:

Don't you mean Rastah? :ww:

But yeah ,thank sumbuddy

I used to say Thank Jah... but I think I confused people.

Jah = God

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Bulaga is out for the season at RT for the Pack and if there was anything decent out there he would be gone already. So don't look for much help there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I bet Snead is in his office looking over street free agents right now.

This is kinda discouraging.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think I may have a solution...
down.png

:ww: :ww: :p :p

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Probably to steep of curve for Jones to be ready any time soon even if he is everything we hoped for.
OT is one of the most vulnerable positions on our roster along with QB and maybe DB why it was no addressed through FA I can't say but Wow what a blow this could be.