Wagoner: Rookies Report for Duty, Roster Moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted by nickwagoner on July 24, 2012 – 3:39 PM
http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2012/07/24/ ... ter-moves/

- The Rams will officially open their 2012 training camp on Sunday afternoon with the full squad but the pieces are beginning to fall into place as their rookie class reports for camp today.

- That group will have some meetings and things today but will kick into action on Wednesday with their first practice. The rookies are set to practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before the veterans report on Saturday.

- A couple of quick roster updates to know before camp begins: Offensive lineman Michael Hay was released on Tuesday morning. Hay was with the team throughout OTAs and the minicamps. I wrote a piece on Hay and all he’s been through early in camp. Here’s wishing him the best of luck in the future.

- Also, CB Jeremy Caldwell has decided to walk away from the game. Occasionally a player sees the writing on the wall and opts to pursue other opportunities. Caldwell is moving on with his life. Best of luck to him as well.

- As for the rookies that WILL be coming to St. Louis today, there are still two players that remain unsigned from the rookie class. Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson have yet to come to terms on deals. The reasons are different in eachcase but the Rams still expect to have both players in camp sooner than later.

- In fact, it’s likely Johnson and the Rams will get something done in the next 24 hours and he’ll be on the practice field tomorrow.

- There is hope that the same will be true for Jenkins as well. Either way, the Rams remain confident their entire rookie class will be signed and ready to roll by the time the real thing starts on Sunday. At the latest.

- As for what these next three practices will look like for the rookies, they don’t figure to be anything too substantial. The Rams haven’t done anything like this before really but the idea is to get the rookies here and get them a quick refresher course on what they learned in the spring so when the veterans arrive they are as prepared mentally as can be. Each practice is expected to last about an hour.

- It’s also probably not a bad idea to get the rookies used to the oppressive summer heat here in St. Louis. With temperatures consistently soaring in the 100 degree range, the rookies will have a difficult enough time adjusting to the heat and the physical nature of a NFL practice.

- One thing to keep in mind, though: Coach Jeff Fisher wants his teams to be tough and physical but he’s not one of those coaches who will have his team in pads full time and going live on a regular basis. He’ll make sure they’re tough and sharp but he’s not going to run them into the ground.

- A quick retrospective along those lines, if you don’t mind: In 2008, the Rams trained in Nashville with the Titans for a week. The one thing that stood out immediately was how well conditioned the Titans were and the energy they constantly played with in those practices. They were physical, crisp and boisterous. A big part of that was Fisher kept his players fresh. He didn’t do too many two a day practices (of course the CBA limits that now anyway but Fisher wasn’t really using them before) and he doesn’t keep his team in full pads all the time. When they do go to full pads, it’s fair to expect some intensity but just know that every day of practice doesn’t figure to be some sort of hard hitting, over the top battle.

- Anyway, welcome back to the blog. We’ll have updates here every day moving forward with everything from daily news bits to roster updates to weather and camp updates. Thanks for reading.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Why not take the team inside for practice if there's enough room? Seriously, I never understood this shit with any of the past coaches. If there's not enough room then do rotations. They play in a fakin dome, and it's not like it's going to be 100+ when they play anyway. Practicing in 100+ degree weather to "build character" or something is just dumb. Just puts guys health at risk. This isn't directed at Fisher, and I have no doubt in his coaching style I'm just saying/venting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
Why not take the team inside for practice if there's enough room? Seriously, I never understood this shit with any of the past coaches. If there's not enough room then do rotations. They play in a fakin dome, and it's not like it's going to be 100+ when they play anyway. Practicing in 100+ degree weather to "build character" or something is just dumb. Just puts guys health at risk. This isn't directed at Fisher, and I have no doubt in his coaching style I'm just saying/venting.
Yeah, I agree. I mean, having it outside builds stamina and all, but what's the point? They play in a dome, the Cards play in a dome, and the other two NFCW teams are on the west coast in what's largely considered mild weather. If anything, go inside and crank the AC down to 10 degrees to prepare for road playoff games in the snow.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It may have something to do with the public/media not being able to see practice idk. I'll say one thing if they could work it out to where the fans could come inside they would have a hell of a better turnout. If not, I guess too bad. Just let the media guys in er sompin.

Agree with turning it down to 10 degrees btw. Isn't ameren one of their sponsors? I'm sure they won't mind footing the bill :cheese: . Still let the fans in too.

Be right back, going to get my hot chocolate I have boiling in the 195 degree sun outside.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Username said:
Yeah, I agree. I mean, having it outside builds stamina and all, but what's the point? They play in a dome, the Cards play in a dome, and the other two NFCW teams are on the west coast in what's largely considered mild weather. If anything, go inside and crank the AC down to 10 degrees to prepare for road playoff games in the snow.

Remember last time when they played the Bucs and they had to wear their home jerseys from the heat? Those players were exhausted, and that last drive by the Bucs really showed how badly. Just totally out of gas.

Practice for the worst really.... But maybe someone should invent a faster way to get the team up north so they can practice for some snow games in northern Canada...

Speeps

Starter
Username said:
Why not take the team inside for practice if there's enough room? Seriously, I never understood this shyte with any of the past coaches. If there's not enough room then do rotations. They play in a fakin dome, and it's not like it's going to be 100+ when they play anyway. Practicing in 100+ degree weather to "build character" or something is just dumb. Just puts guys health at risk. This isn't directed at Fisher, and I have no doubt in his coaching style I'm just saying/venting.
Practicing outside truly prepares the players for the season. You have to prepare for the worst. Most teams in the NFL play in a stadium, not a dome. Prepping this team to play in stadiums is big. On top of that, it truly helps with their conditioning.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Send 'em up to Montana. :cheese: Dry heat in the mid 80's to low 90's this time of year. And at night it cools to below 50. But what will really get them into shape is the altitude. We are a mile high in altitude. :swoon:

GO RAMS! :cheers:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I went to training camp last year, back when I was visiting St. Louis. It was freakin' hot. Ridiculously hot. Make your mamma cry hot. I couldn't even think about having to practice in that heat.