Wagoner: Rams To Wait And See On Backup Qbs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/112705/rams-to-wait-and-see-on-backup-qbs

Rams to wait and see on backup QBs
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

It's become a sort of yearly NFL scouting combine tradition for St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher to be asked about the team's backup quarterback situation.

In 2013, Fisher wasn't shy about offering the team's plans behind starter Sam Bradford. Young Austin Davis spent a season under the apprenticeship of Bradford and Kellen Clemens in 2012, and the Rams had high hopes that he could become the developmental prospect that would serve as the primary backup in 2013.

i

Clemens

When asked about Clemens' future with the team then, Fisher indicated that Clemens' future was up in the air.

"Well, we've got Austin Davis," Fisher said. "I was really happy with his progress. Still there's a possibility that we would bring Kellen back. Kellen's an outstanding locker room guy, and very competitive. And if that were the case we'd probably flip things to where Austin would be (No.) 2, Kellen would be 3."

Before even waiting to see how Davis was progressing in Organized Team Activities and the offseason program, the Rams opted to bring Clemens back to the fold. From there, Davis never really seemed to take hold of the No. 2 job and make it his own.

Davis and Clemens competed throughout training camp and the preseason with Clemens ultimately winning the job and Davis released. It wasn't until Bradford suffered a season ending knee injury against Carolina that Davis came back, and actually became the No. 2 ... behind Clemens.

This time around, Fisher offered nothing even remotely detailed on what the Rams hope to do behind Bradford, though the position again figures to be up for grabs.

"We've got obviously two different ways to solve that second-to-possibly-third quarterback position, and that's our free agency process and also through the draft," Fisher said. "So we're just discussing."

All signs still point to the Rams adding a quarterback in the middle rounds of the draft. Someone like Georgia's Aaron Murray or Wyoming's Brett Smith might fit the mold of the mid-level signal caller the Rams could invest in.

Clemens is to be an unrestricted free agent. After his better-than-expected performance in Bradford's stead, bringing Clemens back cheap would be a logical move.

From my perspective, Clemens is worth bringing back because of his knowledge of the offense, locker room presence and ability to step in should Bradford find himself injured again. But the ideal plan would be to have Clemens helping groom a drafted quarterback who could eventually surpass him as the No. 2 quarterback at some point in 2014 and possibly even push Bradford in future seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/rams-discussing-backup-quarterback-possibilities/

Rams “discussing” backup quarterback possibilities
Posted by Josh Alper on February 26, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

162b9deac7d52e079f8e7f14f62e4e22-e1393451788826.jpeg
AP

The Rams have made it clear that Sam Bradford will be their starting quarterback next season as long as he’s fully recovered from the torn ACL that drew his 2013 season to an early end.

With that injury fresh in their minds, the identity of the backup quarterback is also sure to be of some interest in St. Louis. Kellen Clemens performed a bit better than expected when he took over for Bradford, but he’s a free agent and coach Jeff Fisher didn’t make any bold statements about wanting him back when he said the team was “discussing” the possibilities.

“Well, we’ve got Austin Davis,” Fisher said, via ESPN.com. “I was really happy with his progress. Still there’s a possibility that we would bring Kellen back. Kellen’s an outstanding locker room guy, and very competitive. And if that were the case we’d probably flip things to where Austin would be [No.] 2, Kellen would be 3.”

The Rams gave Davis a shot to beat out Clemens for the backup job last year, but wound up cutting him after camp and only brought him back after Bradford was lost for the season. Clemens would give them someone experienced as a starter in the offense while also opening up the possibility of drafting a new developmental prospect who could upgrade the overall talent at the position.

There are other options for the Rams to pursue, of course, but Bradford’s knee injury and likely need for a limited practice schedule heading into next season could make rolling with Davis a risky choice.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Is it me or did PFT just pull this quote from last year and make it sound like Fisher used it recently??? Ugh, that site......

“Well, we’ve got Austin Davis,” Fisher said, via ESPN.com. “I was really happy with his progress. Still there’s a possibility that we would bring Kellen back. Kellen’s an outstanding locker room guy, and very competitive. And if that were the case we’d probably flip things to where Austin would be [No.] 2, Kellen would be 3.”

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Can't wait for either garappolo, mettenberger or Murray. Those are my three

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be quite happy if we came away with Brett Smith. Criminally underrated.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I have faith we bring in young, developmental talent but I hope we don't need to use him for a few seasons...

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Is it me or did PFT just pull this quote from last year and make it sound like Fisher used it recently??? Ugh, that site......

Yeah that is deinitely from last year. Some great journalism from those guys at times.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I like what i read about Carr ,he's a perfect blend of height and athleticism IMO I bet someone nabbs him first round though, I think the rumor Cleveland wants him could be true.IMO he suffers from his big brothers failure on a team that wasn't ready for a franchise QB.

A55VA6

Legend
I like what i read about Carr ,he's a perfect blend of height and athleticism IMO I bet someone nabbs him first round though, I think the rumor Cleveland wants him could be true.IMO he suffers from his big brothers failure on a team that wasn't ready for a franchise QB.
I'm not sure I feel good about Carr. He just lacks some ability imo.

BadCompany

Rookie
Call me crazy (you're crazy!) but am I the only one thinks it's a bit of a wasted draft pick to go for a developmental quarterback in the mid-to-late rounds? Let's face it, any QB we get in the mid-to-late rounds is probably going to be a longshot to ever be a starter, never mind an impact, or star player. Sure, you could catch lightning in a bottle, but the odds say you're looking at a mediocre QB down the line. So why waste a draft pick on a potentially mediocre QB, who will just have to be upgraded on if and when he ever becomes the starter? Wouldn't it be better to get a guy who can play special teams, or rotate in and out in special packages every game, as opposed to MAYBE being a mediocre starter a few games in a few years?

The way I see it (again, you're crazy!) if our 4th or 5th round QB ever becomes a starter then one of the following has happened:
  • We've caught lightning in a bottle. Way to go scouting staff!
  • Bradford has flopped, either through injury or just bad play.
The first option seems unlikely, whereas if the second option happens then we're going to have to expend a future 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB anyways. So why the "need" to get a developmental QB now? What are the odds of one being better than Clemens or a veteran free agent pickup?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah I agree Montreal, if we;re really thinking of developing a QB 2-3 round is the latest I expect it to be fruitful. anything lower is like you said just dumb luck that no one else saw what you did or you have a GREAT QB coach like Martz or Belicek.