Wagoner: Rams Sign LB Etienne Sabino

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

In addition to CB/PR Greg Reid, Rams also signed LB Etienne Sabino over the weekend. Sabino listed at 6'3, 237 pounds, played collegiately at Ohio State. Was not on NFL roster in 2013.

A55VA6

Legend
I asked Nick about him on twitter and said he's a camp body, and will most likely compete for a special teams role.

Alan

Legend
Getting their UDFA shopping done early this year it appears.

Well now we don't have to draft an OLB either. :)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Man this has been an exciting day! The rams have plugged almost all there holes no reason to even go to the draft now!

A55VA6

Legend
Here's his draft analysis for those interested in reading about his skill, like myself:

STRENGTHS
Well-built, athletic linebacker who plays on the strong side and in the middle. Fights through blocks in the hole, and is capable of using violent hands to shed and grab running backs. Brings a powerful punch to pulling guards and fullbacks in the run game, and is tough to keep out of the backfield on A-gap blitzes. Shows enough speed to flow with stretch plays outside to make the stop, and hustles to the ball when there’s any chance to make a play.

WEAKNESSES
Lateral movement might be an issue if playing outside; he might not stay on the field in nickel situations unless he proves the short-area quickness to do so at the next level. Plays with a high pad level, failing to break down in the hole against quicker ballcarriers. Must get his hands up consistently when attacking blocks, whether on the edge or against running backs on blitzes. Underwhelming career.

NFL COMPARISON
Na’il Diggs

BOTTOM LINE
Sabino is versatile prospect capable of rushing the passer, handling tight ends, and holding the point as a strong side ‘backer and also works hard to plug holes when lined up inside. Sabino still has upside, but will need to prove he can play on special teams.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Uh, all teams sign these kind of guys for camp. Every once in awhile, one pans out. It's actually smart to sign them now so you get a chance to get to know them and maybe coach them up. I'm sure the Rams have a plan and will be bringing in a couple more well known FAs before the draft. The longer you wait, the cheaper the price tag. And we all know the Ram's cap account isn't bubbling over. They have to be thrifty right now. Patience grasshopper!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Getting their UDFA shopping done early this year it appears.

Well now we don't have to draft an OLB either. :)[/QUOTE

Thank's Ogletree, wish you could have stayed longer but the Rams have Sabino now. Good luck on the waiver wire.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
James just needed back-up when he is dissing Michigan to Jake.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I wanted this guy day 1 of FA... ;)

LOL!

Dam Snisher...

If I wasn't so happy we got Saffold back then I'd be very upset right now. None the less, I'm happy. :D

fearsomefour

Legend
Kind of what they have been doing with the O line. Searching for talent. We need depth at LB as well so certainly nothing wrong with this.
For every however many of these guys you might find a Barksdale.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Look at the bright side, Sabino was a very sought after recruit out of High School.

I doubt coaching was the issue with him in college, so coaching isn't going to help much.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams add linebacker Etienne Sabino
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7026/rams-add-linebacker-etienne-sabino

The St. Louis Rams have made a habit of bringing in former Ohio State linebackers over the years, and added another to the list Monday when they signed former James Laurinaitis backup Etienne Sabino.

Much like the signing of cornerback Greg Reid, Sabino falls into the "who's that?" category amongst free agents, an off-the-radar addition the Rams likely hope can earn a spot and provide some depth. But hoping for much more than that is likely a setup for failure.

Sabino was a backup to Laurinaitis early in his career but eventually worked his way into the starting lineup for the Buckeyes. As a senior in 2012, he started eight games at strongside linebacker, missing four games with a fractured fibula. He posted two sacks and 45 tackles and managed an invite to the NFL scouting combine.

When the 2013 draft arrived, Sabino didn't get drafted, but signed with the New York Giants soon after the draft. He didn't make the team but apparently made a good impression on the coaching staff during training camp and the preseason.

Sabino had some workouts during the season, but never caught on to an active roster.

In St. Louis, Sabino has an uphill climb to make the roster. Though the Rams have a bit of a need at linebacker, they are mostly set at the starting spots with Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree and Jo-Lonn Dunbar. In terms of backups with the ability to contribute on special teams, Ray Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates were difference-makers on coverage units, especially after reigning in the penalty issues from early in the season.

The Rams did carry six linebackers in 2013, and veteran Will Witherspoon remains unsigned as a free agent. Theoretically, that would leave a spot open for someone like Sabino or Philip Steward, an undrafted rookie the team liked well enough to keep after he suffered a season-ending injury. It's also entirely possible the Rams will look to add another linebacker in the draft who could compete for more serious playing time.