Wagoner: Rams sign 19 undrafted free agents, including Junior Seau's nephew

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams sign 19 undrafted free agents, including Junior Seau's nephew

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Rams signed 19 undrafted free agents on Thursday. Here's a closer look at each player:

Taylor Bertolet, K, Texas A&M: The Rams are seeking competition for kicker Greg Zuerlein and coach Jeff Fisher has indicated that whoever is brought in would be more than a camp leg. Bertolet was 22-of-31 on field goals in 2015 and was once Rivals.com's No. 1 rated high school kicker. Bertolet is known for a strong leg but accuracy has been an issue -- which sounds a lot like Zuerlein.

Brandon Chubb, LB, Wake Forest: Wake Forest's leading tackler in 2015 with 107, Chubb was on his way to a spot on the All ACC first team. He's a cousin of Georgia running back Nick Chubb, the star runner who replaced the Rams' Todd Gurley after his injury in 2014.

Morgan Fox, DT, Colorado State-Pueblo: The Rams have had success finding gems from smaller schools on the defensive line recently with guys likeMatt Longacre and Ethan Westbrooks. Could Fox be next? He had 17 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss at the Division II level last year.

Rodney McLeod andJanoris Jenkins. He was a four-year starter for the Razorbacks and had 67 tackles and an interception in 2015.

Aaron Green, RB, TCU: Perhaps one of the more intriguing players on this list, Green rushed for 1,272 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2015. He joins a crowded backfield but given Tre Mason's legal woes, there might be a chance to stick.

Nicholas Grigsby, LB, Pittsburgh: Grigsby had 66 tackles, including 9.5 for loss in 2015 and was considered a leader for Pitt's revamped defense. There's room for depth at linebacker on this roster but based on the numbers, there will be plenty of competition.

Darren Herring, LB, Vanderbilt: Speaking of linebacker competition, Herring brings a smart, productive piece to the mix after starting for three seasons and posting 226 tackles in his college career.

Cory Littleton, LB, Washington: Littleton showed some pass rushing chops in 2015, posting six sacks and 11 tackles for loss in his final college season. He'll join Chubb, Grigsby and Herring in the quest for a roster spot, likely through special teams, an area he's excelled in the past with 19 tackles there.

Michael Jordan, CB, Missouri Western: Not to be confused with the basketball legend or even the famous actor, this Jordan split time between corner and safety in his collegiate career. He flashed a nose for the ball in both spots, finishing his career with 16 interceptions.

Jordan Lomax, S, Iowa: Like Jordan and Gaines, Lomax should add more competition at safety, where jobs seem available. He had 96 tackles, including a string of three straight games in double digits in his final season for the Hawkeyes.

Paul McRoberts, WR, Southeast Missouri St.: McRoberts made plenty of plays in the Ohio Valley Conference, including 76 receptions for 940 yards and nine touchdowns last season. There's room for help at receiver if McRoberts can have similar success in training camp.

James Murphy, OT, Northwestern Louisiana: Murphy was a starter for the better part of three seasons, twice earning All Southland Conference honors along the way.

Marquez North, WR, Tennessee: Another one of the more intriguing talents in this group, North didn't do much last season because of injury but he's listed at 6-foot-3, 229 pounds and ran a 4.48 second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine and was clocked by a scout at 4.39 seconds at his pro day.

Kache Palacio, DE, Washington State: The Rams are listing Palacio as a defensive end but he's listed at 6-foot-2, 231 pounds, which means he's more likely to compete at linebacker. He had 27 tackles for loss and 17 sacks in his time with the Cougars.

Brian Randolph, S, Tennessee: Another name to toss in the mix at safety, Randolph had some college success blocking kicks which could make him appealing from a special teams perspective. He started 47 games for the Volunteers and clocked a 4.4 in the 40 at Tennessee's pro day according to at least one stop watch.

Winston Rose, CB, New Mexico State: Rose will be returning to Los Angeles after spending two seasons at Los Angeles Valley College and growing up in Inglewood, California.

Ian Seau, DE, Nevada-Reno: The nephew of Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau, Ian Seau led the Mountain West Conference with 10 sacks and also had 18.5 tackles for loss in 2015. He's undersized to play defensive end but will have a chance to earn his way as a movable pass rushing piece.

Nelson Spruce, WR, Colorado: Spruce set the Pac-12 Conference record for career receptions with 294 and had 105 catches for 1,198 yards and 12 touchdowns in his best collegiate season as a junior. NFL.com compared him toformer Rams receiver Danny Amendola.

Jordan Swindle, OT, Kentucky: Swindle come to Los Angeles with no shortage of experience after starting three seasons for the Wildcats, two on the right and one on the left. According to his bio from Kentucky, Swindle can solve a Rubik's cube in about a minute.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ted-free-agents-including-junior-seaus-nephew

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I also read were the Rams are bringing in a LS by the name of Jeff Overbaugh from San Diego State.
I want to hear more about him, because, according to the article at NFL.com, he " Camped amongst ' Kodiak Bears' as a kid." I want to hear the whole story about this!(y);):)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My guy to make the team is Jordan Lomax who was a converted CB so he should be a natural free safety that for some reason seems like the Rams truly don't have one on the roster, also how can you not like Winston Rose? Great name, needs to add some weight, but ran a sub 4.4 and was a special team phenom for the Aggies.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ian-seau?id=2556146

Looks like 6 to 7 rookie Lbers to me:
Forrest 6-3/249
Grigsby 6-0/220
Chubb 6-1/245
Palacio 6-2/231-(FB)
Herring 6-2/232
Littleton 6-3/238
Seau 6-3/250-(DE)

To go with our other 6 LB'ers Ogletree, Ayers, Barron, Hager, Lynch, Wells. Looks like a extra eaxtra large LB'er Cadre for only 2 usual on field positions?

Last edited:

Limey

Rookie
I'm hopeful on Rose and Randolph. I also think one or more of the WRs could stick (maybe via PS) but keep changing my mind as to which is the most intriguing. I actually like our current LBers (except Wells, who I don't know) so I'm as surprised as Bonifay that they grabbed so many. I guess the best STer will stay.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The RB Green has the best shot I think. He ran through some huge holes at TCU so need to see if he can adjust but if he does I think he could stick. The real quality at RB for the Rams is their 1-2 in Gurley/Cunningham, after that it's meh and I include Mason in that so I suspect they'll try to feature him in early preseason then trade him.

Obviously the LBs have the best shot since the Rams didn't address it with picks and those guys do well on teams usually. Gotta think at least one of them cracks the roster.

My favorite darkhorse in this UDFA group is Seau. He has that blindside rush potential, so even though he's oversized the Rams probably would like to have a RDE type behind Quinn. I really like Longacre and all but he's more a left side guy, doesn't have that natural bend and instincts for the corner. Seau does. Question is can he not be a liability in the run on early downs and his teams contribution.

IMO the receivers are facing a stacked deck. Normally beating out a 4th and 6th rounder for a roster spot at a depleted position is a good thing, but in this case the 4th and 6th rounders are of high quality. Gonna be tough for them IMO. If any of them make it, I think it'll be the guy who has actual production and a lot of it. It's just too hard to estimate whether his route running is good enough to make up for his lack of speed. Talkin about Spruce here btw, so if I'm him I'd be busting my butt as a gunner or some other spot on teams to make their decision a tough one.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The RB Green has the best shot I think. He ran through some huge holes at TCU so need to see if he can adjust but if he does I think he could stick. The real quality at RB for the Rams is their 1-2 in Gurley/Cunningham, after that it's meh and I include Mason in that so I suspect they'll try to feature him in early preseason then trade him.

AARON GREEN

TCU

Running Back

RS Senior

Ht: 5'11"

Wt: 202 lbs

Strengths:
  • Very good long speed
  • Agile, light on his feet
  • Decisive runner
  • Good instincts in space
  • Good balance
  • Cuts with the best of them
  • Capable pass catcher
  • Physical pass protector
Weaknesses:
  • Inconsistent decision maker, middling vision
  • Timid runner, no finishing ability whatsoever
  • Not going to break any tackles
  • Small and skinny frame

Overview:
Aaron Green is a very fun collegiate player. A Nebraska transfer, Green emerged in 2014 as the top RB in TCU's backfield, ending the season with an impressive 7.1 YPC. In 2015, Green started and ended the season as the workhorse back.

As a prospect, there's a lot to like about Green. He's an explosive, speedy runner with light feet and balance. He's a quick mover who can get to his top speed in a flash, and he frequently embarrasses defenders with an array of awe-inspiring cuts. He appears to be a good receiver, and he is surprisingly capable in pass protection.

However, there are some real issues with Green that will seriously impact his draft status. Green is as timid of a runner as you find, often going as far as turning his back to the defender to avoid direct contact. He goes out of his way to avoid contact, even when it's to the detriment of the play. It's unclear whether he has a semblance of the physicality necessary to be a productive back in the NFL, and that, even with all of his physical gifts, should make teams refuse too spend anything more than a lottery ticket on Green.

But Green has many more flaws than just physicality. He doesn't show the necessary vision to excel at the NFL level, and even if he sees the right hole he makes some seriously flawed decisions in regards to which path to take.

Overall, Green is a prospect who is extremely likable. He will test well, and his tape showcases a player who looks like he could embarrass NFL defenders. But, while his lack of physicality and vision might have not hurt him that badly in the college game, those two things will hurt him to the point where I can't imagine a scenario where Green is a de facto starting running back in the pros.

Alex Jacobson is an NFL Draft writer for Pro Football Spot. You can follow him on Twitter,@AlexJacobsonPFS

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Looks like a extra large LB'er Cadre for only 2 usual on field positions?
If you are including AO it is almost 3 positions (two and a half?)... If AO is replacing JL then he's on the field 100% so remove him from the list. Then I think we see Barron on the field almost all the time, and Ayers is the one that comes off 50% of the time. So I see it as 3 spots that need backups/special teamers, but yeah could cut down to 2 depending on final roster numbers. Hager & Lynch have a leg up, Wells maybe, but it should be a great open competition to watch.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Is it just my imagination, but doesn't it seem like this crop of UDFA's is a particularly good one for us?

Seems like 8-10 of them are fan favorites and might have a decent shot at making the team.