Wagoner: Rams hoping to find more help from undrafted rookies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...ping-to-find-more-help-from-undrafted-rookies

Rams hoping to find more help from undrafted rookies
7:59 PM ET
  • Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer

Since coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead took charge of the Los Angeles Rams' roster in 2012, identifying, signing and developing undrafted free agents who can help the team is one of their top priorities.

Along the way, the Rams have found important contributors, such as running back Benny Cunningham, defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks, safety Cody Davis, former starting safety Rodney McLeod and All-Pro punter Johnny Hekker after the draft has concluded. Just last year, the Rams' roster at various points included running back Malcolm Brown, linebacker Cameron Lynch, defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat, defensive end Matt Longacre, receiver Bradley Marquez and offensive tackle Darrell Williams.

This year, the Rams had a smaller draft class than usual (six players) after trading away three second-day picks to move from No. 15 to No. 1. That meant finding potential undrafted gems took on an even greater importance.

“It’s an important process," Snead said. "Obviously a larger subset of players come into the league through college free agency, but if you look at data, if a college free agent gets on the field and actually plays, let’s call it one percent of the offensive or defensive snaps, that player is going to go on and play just as much as any fourth-rounder. So it’s important when you do find one to two to three to four a year that can get on the field, and if they do get on the field, they usually go in to play just as much or more than like the fourth-rounders, fifth-rounders, sixth-rounders. Even though it’s less sexy, it’s still an important part of the process."

Brandon Chubb, LB, Wake Forest: There might not be much flash to Chubb's game, but he was consistently productive for the Demon Deacons. There's no shortage of opportunity here, either, as the Rams still need depth at linebacker. With competition from the likes of Lynch, Bryce Hagerand fellow rookie Josh Forrest, Chubb could carve a path to the roster by proving capable on special teams first.

Michael Jordan, DB, Missouri Western: An under-the-radar player from the Rams' former home state, Jordan split time between corner and safety in college. The Rams could use some depth at both spots, but they earmarked Jordan before the draft was over as a possible contender for a job at cornerback. Jordan had 16 interceptions in his college career, which means he is often around the ball. He'll have to adjust to playing better competition, but he's got a chance to push players like Marcus Roberson for a job.

Brian Randolph, S, Tennessee: Really, you can take your pick between Randolph, Jordan Lomax and Rohan Gaines as a contender for the team's needs at safety. All were productive college players, but we're giving Randolph a little bit of a head start because of his ability to contribute on special teams, the quickest way to make a roster after going undrafted. Randolph had a knack for blocking kicks for the Volunteers, a skill that can help break ties when it comes to formulating a 53-man roster.

Paul McRoberts, WR, Southeast Missouri State: Like the other positions listed above, there's room for an unheralded player to step in and make the roster at wide receiver. The competition could be tough, though, as the Rams brought in others such as Marquez North, Nelson Spruce and Duke Williams to add to the mix. But McRoberts is a guy the Rams eyed from up close while still in St. Louis and they liked his combination of size (6-foot-3) and college production. McRoberts will have to answer questions about the level of competition he played in college but if he can adjust quickly, he'll have a chance. The Rams used a second-round pick in 2012 on Brian Quick, who profiled in a similar way to McRoberts, albeit with better physical traits.

Morgan Fox, DT, Colorado State-Pueblo: A defensive lineman from a small school who posted outrageous, video game-like numbers in his final college season. Sound familiar? That's how the Rams found Longacre and Westbrooks. The need for depth on the defensive line isn't all that pressing, but if there is a need, it's inside. As it stands, the only backup with any experience is Westbrooks, and he's been playing both end and tackle. Fox will be up against Trinca-Pasat, another undrafted rookie the Rams found last year, and Doug Worthington for a possible job. If he follows in the footsteps of Longacre and Westbrooks, it's not that far-fetched that he could stick.

Psycho_X

Legend
Out of the listed above I really like the Fox pickup. He'll probably be a practice squad guy for his first year but he could be in the mix down the line.

Jordan looks like a possibility given our depth issues at CB and I'm not completely sold on Roberson personally.

Chubb and Randolph seem like special teams fodder but we need a couple new bodies there. I don't see McRoberts making it past the first cuts but it might just be my Brian Quick syndrome of small school WRs with no NFL knowledge.

Should be good competition across the board though which is never a bad thing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Morgan Fox is 6'4 259 so if he's going to play inside as Nick Wagoner suggests, he will have to spend time with strength and conditioning coaches Rock Gullickson & J. Aggabao.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
Randolph is more than fodder. He will compete for reps. He produced in SEC and his measurable a are ridiculous.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Fox looked slow off the snap. My guess is they land one LBer, Two WRs, a Safety, and a Corner from this crop, as several year contributors.

Snead really has a way of finding these UDFAs that can help.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fox will be up against Trinca-Pasat, another undrafted rookie the Rams found last year, and Doug Worthington for a possible job. If he follows in the footsteps of Longacre and Westbrooks, it's not that far-fetched that he could stick.
My money is on Trinca-Pasat! I Love his attitude!!(y)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Out of the listed above I really like the Fox pickup. He'll probably be a practice squad guy for his first year but he could be in the mix down the line.

Jordan looks like a possibility given our depth issues at CB and I'm not completely sold on Roberson personally.

Chubb and Randolph seem like special teams fodder but we need a couple new bodies there. I don't see McRoberts making it past the first cuts but it might just be my Brian Quick syndrome of small school WRs with no NFL knowledge.

Should be good competition across the board though which is never a bad thing.

I wouldn't go to sleep on McRoberts just yet, Psycho.

They thought enough of him to give him a $10,000 UDFA signing bonus, after all.

Right now, it looks impossible to handicap these new WR's via UDFA. But it certainly looks like the competition is gonna be fierce.

What a great year to be featured on Hard Knocks.

Psycho_X

Legend
I wouldn't go to sleep on McRoberts just yet, Psycho.

They thought enough of him to give him a $10,000 UDFA signing bonus, after all.

Right now, it looks impossible to handicap these new WR's via UDFA. But it certainly looks like the competition is gonna be fierce.

What a great year to be featured on Hard Knocks.

It is looking like one of the better years for WR competition that is true. McRoberts certainly has an opportunity here but will probably come down to how fast he can learn the intricacies of the NFL and whether he can do anything on special teams. I would be more inclined to bet on him being on the practice squad this year. But you never know. I'm just thinking Tavon is a lock obviously, Cooper and Thomas are probably locks, and Britt is more than likely here at least one more year due to our lack of experience at the position. That only leaves one guaranteed spot at WR... possibly 2 but Fisher isn't one to keep 6 WRs on the team generally speaking. If we do keep 6 it'll be because that 6th one shows a huge upside on special teams.

Off the top of my head that leaves McRoberts, Bailey, Quick, Marquez, Williams, and about a half dozen other unlikely candidates vying for one spot. If we do keep a 6th due to special teams I'd put money on Marquez nabbing it as he showed a lot of upside in that department last season as well as making a few nice catches here and there.

So anyway, I kind of babbled there and made this longer than it needed to be but any of the rookie WRs (outside the draft picks) are going to have to really blow the coaches away to make the final 53 this season barring injury problems.