Wagoner Rams Chat Highlights: Robinson at LT Before Saffold?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—Bradford Fully Healthy? He’s not “fully” healthy but he’s well on his way. He’s going to do some stuff in OTAs and should be closer to full strength around training camp.

—Fisher views Joyner primarily as the nickel corner.

—Austin Davis wouldn’t have been a Ram last year if not for the injury to Bradford. He simply didn’t take the steps forward they’d hoped he would from year one to year two. And he really struggled in preseason and camp last year. At best, he’s probably got an uphill climb to stick around.

—Joseph Signing A Reflection of Concern About Long’s Recovery? I don’t think it means that. But I do think it gives them insurance in case that does play out that way. And yes, if Long can’t go, I think Robinson will be considered as the LT before Saffold. The Rams really want to commit to Saffold as a guard considering how well he played there last year.

—I think Mason will work his way into the mix early on but his role will depend on Zac Stacy’s ability to avoid nagging injuries that hit him last season. Benny Cunningham shouldn’t be discounted in the mix, either.

—Saying that you’ve been told to compete for the job doesn’t tell me much. The coaches want competition at every position. I think Mason becomes a factor but I’m not sure there’s a full on open competition for the starting spot. Fisher has told the media that he wants to use Mason as a change of pace to spell Stacy. I still expect Stacy to have first crack at the job.

—I think Carrington will be used similar to how Donald will be where his primary role will be as a pass rusher situationally but he’ll be in the rotation and I fully expect him to be active on gamedays. Intrigued to see him and catch up with him at OTAs next week.

—Focus of OTA’s? Staying healthy is always first. But I’m intrigued to see how Gregg Williams acclimates to his new talent. There’s a bit of a feeling out process when you’ve never coached players before. For example, Williams may want to be more aggressive in coverage schemes but he also might see his corners and think that’s not how they’re best utilized. The only way to know is to work with them.

—Leap for Quick this Year? It depends on what the leap is. If you mean consistent, 1000 yard type of WR, that’s unrealistic. I think he can contribute more than he has in the past. If nothing else, he’s probably running low on chances so he needs to make the most of whatever opportunity he does get.

—Quick strikes me as a smart guy who wants to learn but has had a steeper learning curve than others in part because of where he played and some other factors. I think he can “get it” because I’ve seen him dazzle on the practice field. But I’ve said it many times, it’s a matter of consistency with him. He needs to bring the same thing every day. When he does, that’s when we’ll know he “gets it.”

—Any Vet FA’s To Be Added? I think at this point, LB is the most likely. Maybe if a safety of intrigue pops up like they did with Giordano last year but my hunch is there won’t be much else added from the outside.

—Witherspoon Return at Training Camp? That’s when it happened last time so it would make sense if it did again. I know the Rams like Witherspoon’s professional approach though he struggled the few opportunities he had last year. I don’t know if he’s the guy but I wouldn’t be shocked if they added a vet there.

—Can Barnes Replace Wells? I don’t think so. And again, I ask, what is the need for cap space this year? If you wanted to part ways with Wells, wouldn’t it have made more sense to do it earlier in the offseason. The Rams have the money to sign their rookie class and operate during the season. If someone beats out Wells, fine, but otherwise, the need for cap space isn’t pressing enough to let go of a vet who can help.

Read Additional Chat Highlights