Wagoner Rams Chat Highlights: Post Rookie Mini-Camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner’s Chat Highlights

—How bad was the Rams roster when Fisher/Snead arrived? You kind of answered your own question, Joe. It was historically bad. And old.

—I know that some believed the Alexander pick happened a bit too early but that’s just media chatter. More often than not, teams drafted players in the range other teams view said player. I strongly doubt he’d have been there in round 6, either.

—Wells A Cap Casualty in Sept.? I suppose we can’t rule that out but the question would be why? What are you going to use that cap space on at that point? Next offseason would be a different story but you don’t generally have the need to clear cap space that close to the season.

—I expect Mason to be nipping at the heels of Stacy for carries and handle the No. 2 role. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he usurped Stacy at some point, especially if Stacy struggles with nagging injuries again.

—Break Out Year for Quick? I guess it depends on what breakout means. I don’t know how realistic it is. He needs to be more consistent. As for Britt, I doubt he suddenly turns into a stud.

—I honestly don’t know what to expect from Quick without having seen him on the field. Even then, though, I’ve seen him flash so much potential one day then struggle the next. It’s always been about consistency for him. But there’s no doubt he needs to contribute more than just blocking on the outside to secure a long term future in the STL.

—Do you see a 1000 yd WR This Year? I do not. But if I had to take a guess at most likely to do it, I’d say Givens, Cook, Austin, not necessarily in that order.

—Questionable Depth At LB? Agree. And I tend to think they’ll bring in another vet like they did with Witherspoon again this year (maybe Witherspoon himself). They like Armstrong’s potential but I’m not sure there’s another LB on the current roster they’d be comfortable plugging into a game right now.

—It’s that they thought so highly of Martin. They didn’t want to move up just to get an O lineman, they wanted to do it for Martin. As for Barksdale, I’ve been writing for awhile that the Rams were pleased with how he played in 2013 but viewed his spot as one they could upgrade. Also, Barksdale is a free agent after this season.

—I’ve been writing for awhile that the offense won’t be as completely skewed as it was with Clemens. It will have a bit more balance but the run game will still take precedence. Go back to the Houston, Jacksonville, Carolina games for a good idea of how the offense will probably look.

—Whether they’ve improved in the secondary remains to be seen. I like some of the additions on paper but we haven’t seen any of them on the field yet. Gregg Williams should certainly help. But in my opinion, competing in the NFC West isn’t going to be a function of bolstering the secondary as much as it is improving offensively.

—Well, it seems that they hope the running game will be better which could open some things up in the passing game. They’re also doing a lot of hoping that their young receiver corps makes strides and Sam Bradford comes back healthy. As for more tangible things, the only addition they made in that regard is Kenny Britt.

—Breakout Player in 2014? Ogletree is not a bad play. I’ll give you one I think could breakout: DT Michael Brockers. He actually entered the league very young like Quinn, had a solid if unspectacular second season but figures to keep improving, especially with more firepower next to him on the DL. He might end up as the sort of forgotten man in the whole mix there. As for offense, I’m not sure who you could pinpoint unless you count linemen. I could see Rodger Saffold having an outstanding year as a full time guard if he stays healthy.

—Seems to me Bradford has gotten a pretty fair shake seeing as how he’s going into his fifth season as the starting quarterback. Last season wasn’t the first time he’s been injured, either. Yes, it was a freak injury but he was hurt for most of 2011 and missed most of his final college season in 2009. Whether they’re freak injuries or not, he does have an injury history. This is an important year for him, one way or the other, but staying healthy has to be at the top of the priority list.

Read All Chat Highlights