Wagoner Rams Chat Highlights: Final Pre-Draft Chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—If I had to choose, I choose Watkins. That hasn’t changed. But that doesn’t mean I dislike Mack. I think if the Rams moved back a little bit in a trade (say to 5 or so), Mack would be a real possibility.

—I’m not sure they even know who they will pick at this point. I tend to lean toward one of the tackles in a close call over Watkins but I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the three were the choice. Cop out answer, I know.

—I’d be really surprised if Clowney doesn’t go No. 1. It may not be to Houston but I think he goes there either way.

—I just don’t think they go QB at 13. Not saying it’s completely impossible but it’s extremely unlikely.

—I tend to think they’d be out of the WR market for a little bit if they don’t take one in round 1. I do think they’ll draft one simply because they have 12 picks but not sure it would happen in round 2 or 3. It could but not as likely as other positions.

—The Rams say that it’s a group decision and I think in general that’s true. But I believe if it really came down to it Fisher would make the call. That’s just my impression of things but I think as a general rule they try to find common ground and make the choice together.

—I believe the Rams view this draft as having six elite players. If they drafted one with their first pick and then one of those six slipped a little bit (assuming there’s no position repetition) I could see them trying to jump up to 8 or 9 for that player.

—My favorite non first round guys. And this is all in the eye of the beholder: Lamarcus Joyner, Joel Bitonio (though I suppose he could sneak into late first) and Henry Josey (sentimental homer Mizzou reasons).

—Personnel types and scouts love Martin. I think he might not even make it to 13 and if he does, he’d be a consideration for Rams. If they don’t take him, I doubt he falls any further than Baltimore or Miami, at worst. Latimer is interesting but a little bit raw. Sounds like he’s going in late round one.

—I just don’t see much of a trade market developing if Clowney is off the board. Can’t rule it out but Rams might have to take less than they’d want to make a deal in that scenario. If they stay at 2, Watkins is in the mix but I still tend to lean toward Robinson or Matthews as being slightly ahead. Think they’re splitting hairs so could have difference of opinion in the room come Thursday night.

—The beauty of the draft is that everybody has really strong opinions on players. I personally don’t feel strongly enough to judge any draft right after it happens. But there will be some that are happy, some that are content, some will be disappointed. The reality is that everyone has their own guys and if those guys don’t get drafted by their favorite team, they’ll be disappointed. It’s just how it goes.

—Still think Austin has dynamic potential. He was coming on a bit before the injury and flashed some of that game breaking ability. He performed about in line with what I expected. Rookie receivers rarely come in and dominate right away unless it’s a Calvin Johnson type. But I’ll add this too: it’s nice to make excuses for Austin like the Schotty one I keep seeing but he simply wasn’t very good early in the year. He had drop issues and, by his own admission, it took him some time to get caught up to the scheme. I think he’ll be a good weapon moving forward as we saw his comfort level increase and the Rams finding ways to use him that didn’t limit him to the slot.

—I suppose it’s possible a team could move up for Watkins but I’m not sure it happens. And yes, Watkins is in play for the Rams. I’ve got some mixed signals recently on whether they’d take him over a Robinson or Matthews but he’s right there in the conversation with them. There are certainly some in the building who favor him.

—Based on what I’ve heard and reading between the lines, I don’t think the Rams would go any lower than No. 6 in this year’s draft if they moved down and they’d have to get a good offer to move. They aren’t going to move for the sake of moving but you always have to be open minded in case someone makes you a Godfather offer.

Read Complete Chat Highlights