Wagoner: Projecting Rams depth chart: Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Projecting Rams depth chart: Defense
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Free agency and the NFL draft are over, and the St. Louis Rams will soon be back on the field for organized team activities. Soon enough, training camp will be here and the competition will heat up.

At first glance, there doesn't appear to be much guesswork in figuring out which new additions will fit in where but there will be plenty of competition at a number of positions.

With that said, here's one man's guess at how the defensive depth chart figures to shape up as we head toward summer. (Asterisk indicates a rookie and undrafted rookies not included.)

DEFENSE:

Left end

Projected starter: Chris Long

Backups: William Hayes, Sammy Brown

Comment: The beat goes on for this group as Brown looks to earn a spot on the active roster after earning the promotion for the final game of 2013.

Tackle

Projected starter: Kendall Langford

Backups: Aaron Donald*, Matt Conrath

Comment: It doesn't really matter who starts between Langford and Donald because both will play and play a lot in 2014. Drafting Donald should put Conrath on notice that he needs to make a move or get left behind.

Tackle

Projected starter: Michael Brockers

Backups: Alex Carrington, Jermelle Cudjo

Comment: Brockers will handle the bulk of the work here but Carrington can give the Rams some additional pass rush in certain situations. Like Conrath, Cudjo will need to take a step forward to remain on the roster.

Right end

Projected starter: Robert Quinn

Backups: Eugene Sims, Michael Sam*

Comment: Quinn is the best player on the roster and will play a lot but shouldn't have to carry as much of a load this year with more depth inside allowing Sims to stay on the edge more consistently. Sam will have packages designed for him but will need to make a difference on special teams to stick.

Right outside linebacker

Projected starter: Jo-Lonn Dunbar

Backups: Ray Ray Armstrong, Phillip Steward, Caleb McSurdy

Comment: Dunbar looks to bounce back with Gregg Williams back as his coordinator. Armstrong could push for playing time beyond his usual special-teams role.

Middle linebacker

Projected starter: James Laurinaitis

Backups: Dunbar

Comment: There's not much depth behind Laurinaitis, but he's been so dependable that the team hasn't needed it. Dunbar could slide over if needed.

Left outside linebacker

Projected starter: Alec Ogletree

Backups: Daren Bates, Etienne Sabino

Comment: Armstrong would probably be the first to step in if Ogletree suffered an injury, but the Rams have some openings for depth here. Bates is a special-teams bulldog who remains as a core player there.

Left cornerback

Projected starter: Trumaine Johnson

Backups: Lamarcus Joyner*, Greg Reid

Comment: Joyner is almost certain to handle nickel corner duties but could also play outside in a pinch. Fellow former Seminole Reid has much to prove to make the roster.

Right cornerback

Projected starter: Janoris Jenkins

Backups: Brandon McGee, E.J. Gaines*, Darren Woodard

Comment: McGee has raw potential but will need to turn it into performance if he wants to hold off Gaines, who could be the sleeper of this draft class.

Free safety

Projected starter: Rodney McLeod

Backups: Cody Davis, Christian Bryant*

Comment: The Rams felt good enough about McLeod to not draft or sign an obvious replacement though they could theoretically use Maurice Alexander or Joyner there. Bryant and Davis could be surprises but will likely have to battle for one spot with special teams as the primary factor.

Strong safety

Projected starter: T.J. McDonald

Backups: Maurice Alexander*, Matt Daniels

Comment: Daniels has been an intriguing talent since he arrived but needs to stay healthy in order to prove himself. Alexander could potentially play opposite McDonald if the Rams want a pair of physical presences on the back end but his first job will be to help on special teams.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling in this defense that Ray Ray Armstrong will eventually unseat Dunbar or at least be on the field for more snaps.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
When I read about our Linebacker depth I definitely have concerns. If the draft pans out like we all hope and we have enough depth and talent to shore up our OL and DB situation then the LB's are definitely our week spot. I would love to see us pick up some depth in the second tier of FA and hope that the group we have holds up. I did not include the WR's as a greater position of need than the LB's because it has been covered and re-covered and I am of the opinion to remain optimistic as far as the WR group goes.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a feeling in this defense that Ray Ray Armstrong will eventually unseat Dunbar or at least be on the field for more snaps.
Agreed. I think Ray Ray will be a very good player for us one day

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If Ray-Ray beats out Dunbar then we have one of the better backups around. If Dunbar keeps the starting job I think our starters are very solid...but the depth is a huge question at that point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This would be my first initial guesstimate based on very limited knowledge.
DL
DE-Long/Hayes
DT-Langford/Donald/Conrath
DT-Brockers/Carrington
DE-Quinn/Sims
Total 9 Note: With both Donald & Carrington both being able to play DE as well as DT there will be no need to carry 5 DE's

LB
OB-Ogletree/Armstrong
MB-JL/*Duncan
OB-Duncan/Bates
Total 5

Defensive Backs
CB-Johnson/Reid/Gaines
CB-Jenkins/McGee
SS-McDonald/Alexander/Daniels
FS-Joyner/McLeod/Davis
Total 11 Note: No way to really guess those safety battles. Joyner is the wild card he can be any DB they want him to be. Joyner is a perfect nickle tends to be more NFL deep or strong safety looking than NFL corner.

Defensive Practice Squad Members
DE-M.Sam
LB-Phillip Steward
MB- Tavaris Wilson
CB-D Woodard
Saf- Avery Cunningham

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This would be my first initial guesstimate based on very limited knowledge.

Defensive Backs
CB-Johnson/Reid/Gaines
CB-Jenkins/McGee
SS-McDonald/Alexander/Daniels
FS-Joyner/McLeod/Davis
Total 11 Note: No way to really guess those safety battles. Joyner is the wild card he can be any DB they want him to be. Joyner is a perfect nickle tends to be more NFL deep or strong safety looking than NFL corner.

Your the first person I have seen put Joyner at FS. I agree with you. Joyner is probably the favorite IMO, he is as effective at S as he would be in the slot. Also Greg Reid and Gaines might be fits there. I think he was a target for FS and they traded up for him to play there.

I could also see Gaines playing there or Tru Johnson. I think DB is becoming more fluid and guys will get moved based on matchups.

For example: Big recievers you might get Johnson and Jenkins at the Corners. Productive slot receiver might see Gaines or Joyner matched up there. Weak running team might get Joyner deep and Gaines as a nickel.

Anyway, the bigger point is you might see lesser amount of designations position wise. We have some pretty versatile guys and Im a lot less worried about who is going to play FS right now.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I can see them keeping 9 defensive linemen, but I don't see a scenario where either Conrath of Cudjo stick. With the ability to slide HAyes inside on passing downs, the need to keep more that 4 DTs isn't there.

While they are deep at DE, with Quinn, Long, Hayes, and Sims, I do see them finding a way to keep Sam as the 5th DE. Especially, as noted, if you drop Hayes inside, having Sam as the DPR (designated Pass Rusher) in intriguing. In much the same way they kept Rivers around last year, IMO, Sam is that guy this year.

AT LB, with the infrequency that they play the Base 4-3 look, with all 3 LBs on the field, I don't see why Dunbar should be considered a liability here. Unless and until Armstrong shows he can play with some discipline, he is nothing more than a ST player and an emergency fill in should something happen to Dunbar or Ogletree. I would be shocked if they don't bring in a veteran as a dependable backup, much as Witherspoon was last year.

On the back end, I would venture to say that they keep 10 and maybe 11.

If you pencil in Jenkins and Johnson as your starters, and either Joyner or Gaines as the Nickel, you add Reid and/or McGee as your 5th & 6th CB.

At Safety, McDonald, McLeod, Alexander are locks, which leaves Davis, Bryant, and Daniels vying for the last 2 spots (assuming they keep 11 DBs).