Wagoner: Pettis on the bubble

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Weren't the majority of Tavon Austin's yards accumulated from the outside?
cHNzdbp.png

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get Max's frustration as we have been years away from having any serious aerial attack on a consistent basis. It's still possibly our greatest weakness on an otherwise much improved team. We need the existing guys to step up big time and put an end to this Achilles Heel that's been bothering us for the last 5 years.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get Max's frustration as we have been years away from having any serious aerial attack on a consistent basis. It's still possibly our greatest weakness on an otherwise much improved team. We need the existing guys to step up big time and put an end to this Achilles Heel that's been bothering us for the last 5 years.

it's not pettis' fault the rams had to use him as one of the starters early last season. he is what he is, a clutch 3rd/4th down catcher who can move the chains. thankfully the rams can use him in that role moving forward.

could never understand the reasoning behind the calls to push him out. as one poster eloquently stated earlier in a roundabout way, you can't have 5 megatrons on your team.

wrstdude

Rookie

These were the tweets I was thinking of when I asked.

@PFF Apr 28
Tavon Austin gained 209 yards on 57 routes run when lined up wide (3.67 yards/route run). Gained 207 yards on 237 routes in slot (0.87 YPRR)

@PFF Apr 28
Tavon Austin caught nine screen passes for only 15 yards. Gained 32% of his yards on crossing routes, highest % in league

fearsomefour

Legend
He is a great #6 WR. He makes some stuff happen when everyone is sleeping. He has that sleep, then quick step thing.....works great for 1-4 passes on 3rd down or in red zone. Is that enough to make the team? Only Todd Kinchen knows...:) No, Todd was a good and tough player...
Ha. Kinchen. He was a guy who got 10 miles out of 6 miles worth of gas. All heart and hustle.

fearsomefour

Legend
Tavons YPC is terrible.
A lot of that is use some adjusting to the speed of the D and some he isent going to break tackles.
He is an interesting player who had an interesting first year.

jap

Legend
Tavons YPC is terrible.
A lot of that is use some adjusting to the speed of the D and some he isent going to break tackles.
He is an interesting player who had an interesting first year.

The Rams looked to employ Tavon as a Danny-A replacement early on last season, and 31 NFL defensive coordinators had no intention of being embarrassed by our resident Speedy Gonzales when they could easily surround him with bodies. If he is moved around more often, including pre-snap moving, he would be so much harder to account for.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would add this to the above Yes the TE/WR cadre has underperformed but right there & much more of an issue is with this issue of continued injuries and less than average play coming from many OL positions the last two years.

Rams lack of aerial attack???having OL'ers like OLG Quinn Ojinnaka, OLG Chris Williams, ORG Harvey Dahl, OLG Rok Watkins, ORT Barry Richardson, OLG Robert Turner, OLG Shelley Smith & OLG Brandon Washington on the field starting would cause your lack of aerial attack.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams looked to employ Tavon as a Danny-A replacement early on last season, and 31 NFL defensive coordinators had no intention of being embarrassed by our resident Speedy Gonzales when they could easily surround him with bodies. If he is moved around more often, including pre-snap moving, he would be so much harder to account for.
Agreed.
Pre snap movement should help with jamming and create space that he can exploit. I get why they were trying to do what they tried. The idea of a low risk 3 yard pass turning into a large gain would appeal to any OC.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
My take would be - It's pretty clear that Snisher, being they invested quite heavily in their first 2 draft's at this position... honestly feel they have what they need to win, I'm willing to ride this out and see where it takes us (from a fans perspective)

http://www.ramsaddiction.com/nice-work-if-you-can-get-it-snead-fisher-demoff-panel-discussion

Fisher was pretty general with the praise:

“Austin Pettis is a good football player.”

“Brian Quick has shown tremendous improvement this offseason”

“Chris Givens is very talented”

“Don’t forget about the two guys from last year–Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey.”

Then he closed with this gem:

“Anybody that would reference the receiver position as being a need for us, doesn’t know what they’re talking about”

But, but, but...:oops:

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Then he closed with this gem:

“Anybody that would reference the receiver position as being a need for us, doesn’t know what they’re talking about”

But, but, but...:oops:

The Fisher King is obviously taking player growth into consideration, a very natural expectation for coaches. Give Sam a dominant OL, and, with his accuracy, he can do extremely well with solid receivers.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Wtf is with this necro?
When I saw this thread was resurrected my first thought was "Please don't let this be the familiar WR that McVay mentioned could be brought in."

Now I have no idea why this was brought back.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Jeff Fisher era - hello darkness,my old friend

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Imagine a Ram fan coming out of a 3 or 4 year coma...

He may be expecting to see Austin Davis throwing to the "emerging" Brian Quick or the "steady" Austin Pettis. He would be expecting the future HOFer, Greg Robinson, to be protecting Davis and paving the way for Tre Mason as teh Rams move up and down the field at the Jones Dome..

Amazing how much has changed.