Wagoner: Pettis on the bubble

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think he'll do either well. Think Tavon, Quick and Givens are best off outside. So by process of elimination, if he beats out Pettis...
I like Tavon outside too, but not all the time. Plenty of packages and formations to go around wherein all of these guys can get opportunities.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Tavon outside too, but not all the time. Plenty of packages and formations to go around wherein all of these guys can get opportunities.

I don't want to get in the discussion of all the time. I'm talking primary position. You move players around based on the package to get your best group on the field in the best positions for them to succeed. If Givens, Quick, Bailey and Austin are on the field together. That likely means Austin and Bailey are in the slot. Or Austin is at HB. Which I'd love to see.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't want to get in the discussion of all the time. I'm talking primary position. You move players around based on the package to get your best group on the field in the best positions for them to succeed. If Givens, Quick, Bailey and Austin are on the field together. That likely means Austin and Bailey are in the slot. Or Austin is at HB. Which I'd love to see.
Sure. I agree. Plenty of sub-packages where Tavon could be on the outside. I'd sure like to see more of those stack formations Schottenheimer was trotting out there. Seemed to me every time they used it, someone was getting free.

lockdnram21

Legend

If players get consistent its going to cut backups snaps. which is what im hoping happens. I look for Quick or Britt as X and Bailey or Givens as Y. Tavon in the slot. Unless 1 of those 5 are terrible imo Pettis is the odd man out. I cant see the rams keeping Six receivers. Its going to be a lot of running plays and will be hard enough getting 6 receivers involed and im including Cook.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Take a pill dude. This sucks, that sucks, cut the bum, he's a jag, mlah mlah mlah. We get it. Starbucks ran out of lattes.
You should practice what you preach. Personal attacks aren't appreciated. And I'll leave it at that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure. I agree. Plenty of sub-packages where Tavon could be on the outside. I'd sure like to see more of those stack formations Schottenheimer was trotting out there. Seemed to me every time they used it, someone was getting free.

Then, no, we don't agree. Tavon should primarily be an outside WR. The sub-packages would be where he'd move inside or to HB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then, no, we don't agree. Tavon should primarily be an outside WR. The sub-packages would be where he'd move inside or to HB.
That's cool. We don't have to agree. I'd rather see him all over the place rather than relegated to one primary role.
But that's just me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the Stedman Bailey suspension Pettis would appear to me to be safe in making the 53 master roster. Pettis is entering his 4th season he has been here with Sam longer than any other Ram receiver. Britt entering the scene here does bring this subject up but Sam likes Pettis. Your two speeder receivers in Tavon Austin & Chris Givens, your three big large receivers in Kenny Britt , Brian Quick & Jared Cook then there's the two hands receivers in Stedman Bailey & Austin Pettis. So with Stedman's suspension event would make Austin Pettis more of a sure thing in my mind.

The Org. has been repeating over & over that they like what they have in this current WR's unit...I see no reason to think they are lying to us. In closing I think that these WR's will have to upgrade there game in many areas especially ....Run Blocking is where Pettis could earn his spot.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's cool. We don't have to agree. I'd rather see him all over the place rather than relegated to one primary role.
But that's just me.

I'd rather let him settle into a role before trying to get too fancy with him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd rather let him settle into a role before trying to get too fancy with him.
That's sound logic. But ... that ship has sailed.
Check out his splits.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's sound logic. But ... that ship has sailed.
Check out his splits.

Ship is still in harbor as far as I'm concerned. Kid is still on our team and in our plans.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With the Stedman Bailey suspension Pettis would appear to me to be safe in making the 53 master roster. Pettis is entering his 4th season he has been here with Sam longer than any other Ram receiver. Britt entering the scene here does bring this subject up but Sam likes Pettis. Your two speeder receivers in Tavon Austin & Chris Givens, your three big large receivers in Kenny Britt , Brian Quick & Jared Cook then there's the two hands receivers in Stedman Bailey & Austin Pettis. So with Stedman's suspension event would make Austin Pettis more of a sure thing in my mind.

The Org. has been repeating over & over that they like what they have in this current WR's unit...I see no reason to think they are lying to us. In closing I think that these WR's will have to upgrade there game in many areas especially ....Run Blocking is where Pettis could earn his spot.
Good post. Pettis doesn't have to be a primary target in this offense. He just has to be what he is when called upon. Clutch. Someone else brought up Ricky Proehl (@Memphis Ram?), and that's a good comparison; though, Pettis is rangier. Is rangier a word? If not, I just made it one. But Proehl was clutch as hell too, and he was always on the bubble. And if Pettis ends up with a defense's #3 corner, then great. He's already proven he can abuse those guys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ship is still in harbor as far as I'm concerned. Kid is still on our team and in our plans.
I'm talking about easing him into a role. That ship has sailed. Meaning, they bypassed that plan.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And we saw the results.
Yeah. Like I said, yours was sound logic. But as long as they've already given him a full payload, might as well see it through now. For a rookie, he didn't do a bad job of assimilating into all of the different roles - especially if you factor in the infamous tripping callback. Again though, I agree that easing him into the offense would have been a good idea. Not that it would have assuaged all of the concerns about Schotty not being creative enough with him. :sleep:

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
The only valid reason for cutting Austin Pettis is salary cap. What Ram wide receiver would replace Pettis? Britt? Britt caught 11 passes last year and had a drop rate of 11.5%.

Of Ram's wide receivers, only Tavon Austin's 40 catches surpassed Pettis's 38 catches. Pettis caught 4 TD's and only Stedman Bailey 68% caught a higher percentage of passes targeted. Pettis caught 60.3% passes targeted on, while Kenny Britt caught 31.4% of targeted passes.

I'm not a big Pettis fan, but it's not like we are swimming in #1 WR's or even #2 WR's types. We need for two of our wide recievers to ratchet it up several notches this year, for the Rams to have a chance in hell of making the playoffs.

Calling... Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick, or Austin Pettis... We need at least two of young men to mature. I'm not screaming Sour Grapes, but I am searching for splendid aged Cabernet.

Last edited:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I won't elaborate much esp since my phone is my only means of "typing". I will only say he is 'clutch' in those situations. I don't recall that he drops much and is super reliable on 3rd down. Why cut him? I'm w/ X on this.