1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wagoner: Pettis on the bubble

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by max, May 25, 2014.

1. HometownBoy STL sports aficionado

Gibson and Pettis are like, polar opposites.

Gibson is athletic and can make plays, so much so that he'd be a good addition to a team if he could just get his head in the game, which he just can't seem to do. He can go out and catch 35 yarders all day, but then he'll have them all taken back because he lined up illegally.

While Pettis is rigid and stiff and only good for possession, but he's smart and knows what to do and makes a team better simply by being a guy who you can count on to grab the ball and hold onto it when you need it, he's a short possession guy.

Neither of them were or are the guys we need right now though, just goes to show how good we are at drafting number 2s and 3s.

2. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Having watched the Coach's Film pretty extensively, Pettis was playing well before Sam was hurt. I think if a lot of people here had the opportunity to really focus on Pettis using the Coach's Film, they'd realize he's a better player than he's being given credit for.

He was running crisp routes last year before Sam went down and doing a really nice job of defeating press coverage. Issue was that a lot of the time, we had Pettis running the longer developing routes...which he ran well...but Sam didn't have time to get it to him during the first four games.

BeerOClock, TheDYVKX and -X- like this.
  3. -X- Not into the whole brevity thing.

That was McDaniels, not Spags. He wanted taller receivers, and said as much, so that's why they ended up with Pettis and Salas. Two receivers who, at the time of their entrance into the NFL, were highly productive college players.

4. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Disagree. Gibson isn't athletic. When he's not making mental mistakes, he's a precise route runner with reliable hands that runs hard after the catch. But he has no explosion in his game and doesn't possess great change of directional skills. Gibson is a possession WR that can move the chains and operates best of the slot.

You're right, though, that Pettis and Gibson are very different. Pettis is also a possession WR that can move the chains and operates best out of the slot. Pettis, like Gibson, also has reliable hands. Where they differ is that Pettis has great change of directional skills and is very fluid. He's lanky and quick. Unlike Gibson, though, Pettis is not physical with the ball in his hands and isn't strong. He doesn't run that well after the catch.

He's, imo, better before the catch than Gibson because he's so much quicker and more fluid but worse after the catch.

Essentially, both are best off in the slot and will likely offer similar production but they go about it in different ways. And Pettis isn't as prone to mental errors as Gibson and is the better red-zone WR.

HometownBoy likes this.
  5. -X- Not into the whole brevity thing.

I don't know about you, but I was surprised at how well Gibson took to the Y in Miami. After having never played in it before, he was almost exclusively playing it there. And doing a fairly decent job too, in a new offense.

A55VA6 likes this.
  6. TheDYVKX THE D

Pettis WAS playing pretty well last season under Bradford from what I remember, and there were tons of reports that Pettis was all of a sudden an athletic beast and the best receiver on the team last offseason. It might not all be fabricated, and he might be better than we realize.

And Bradford has the most trust in him over any receiver. So as much as we may dislike Pettis, he's probably staying.

I'd love to see a video on either all attempts to Pettis or all his catches from last season, if one hasn't been made already. I think our bias might be clouding our judgement of how well he may have played.

7. -X- Not into the whole brevity thing.

I'll try to finish that one up later. I've got some stuff to do today, but perhaps by tonight it'll be done.
    All of his *targets*.

TheDYVKX likes this.
  8. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

My two cents on why Pettis is still on the roster is because the coaches are waiting for any other WR over 5'10" to emerge(Quick,Britt).

BeerOClock likes this.
  9. jrry32 Well-Known Member

I'm about to have a little statistical fun here. Through the first 7 games, Sam was on pace for 363 completions for the season. Pettis was on pace for 57 receptions. Peyton Manning completed 450 passes in 2013. If Pettis's figure projections with Sam were to hold with Manning's increased volume, that would have been 71 receptions for the season for 713 yards and 11 TDs based on Pettis's early season projections.

So yea, volume is a pretty big deal as is QB play.(because Pettis's numbers took a huge hit with Clemens)

10. jrry32 Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised that he played well in the slot but it better suits his skill-set.

11. Athos Well-Known Member

McDaniels didn't get here until 2011.

I'll admit it wasn't only Spags, it was also Devaney, but as far as offensive players go under the Spags regime you had:

Jason Smith
    Brooks Foster
    Bradford
    Saffold
    Gilyard
    Illinois Mike
    Fendi
    Kendricks
    Pettis
    Salas

Only Saffold, Kendricks, Pettis remain. It really is terrible how pee pee-poor Spags/Devaney and co drafted, especially in ignoring actual talent with which to surround Bradford with. You use the #1 overall, but do nothing to help him. But the Jags learned their lesson and drafted two guys to help out their top pick in Bortles, after learning their lesson with Gabbert. Painful thinking about how horrible those drafts still were in regards to the O. Yes, the D got some players, but at the total ignorance of the O, which imo, has set back Snisher's developing O, hence all the picks we've had to use at WR and RB in 3 drafts. All that idiocy has forced them to keep all the rooks, who you just don't know about, because we had no really talented WR Vet to fall back up. Pettis is 'that' vet, but not really the kind of vet that will allow you to tinker and work with letting rook WRs develop.

Damn shame. We'll just see. All I'm talking is there probably won't be surprise if Pettis doesn't make it and a UDFA beats him out. As stated, if he's the most reliable WR on team, why does that WR go 5 games without even a single reception?

12. jrry32 Well-Known Member

After Sam got hurt, Pettis went from averaging around 75% of the offensive snaps to around 25%.

13. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

Jags learned their lesson? Gabbert's issues had little to do with his weapons and far more to do with his skittishness in the pocket and Chad Henne being a better QB.

14. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Gabbert had a Pro Bowl HB(MJD), a Pro Bowl TE(Marcedes), Cecil Shorts who is a quality #2, they drafted Justin Blackmon in the top 5, and they spent big money on Laurent Robinson(obviously a mistake).

15. lockdnram21 Well-Known Member

The way I see it if we only keep 5 receivers Pettis is gone. Thats if Britt makes it

16. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

I don't know if it's a great idea to get rid of Pettis because honestly he was one of Sam's favorite targets when he needed help.. and Pettis was also productive in the Red Zone more than most of our WR's. I think we need him to be a part of this team some way or another.

SierraRam likes this.
  17. LesBaker Mr. Savant

If the other guys develop there may not be a choice, the roster only holds so many guys.

18. Lesson Well-Known Member

I don't understand the criticism for Pettis. He is what he is, similar to Gibson in that regard. He's an above average possession WR who can be used as an offensive weapon. He's not a #1 or #2 WR(Like I think Givens and Bailey can become), however, he does a good job at doing what he's supposed to do.

brokeu91 and radjohns like this.
  19. -X- Not into the whole brevity thing.

I know. He was in the draft room, and the prevailing voice when those two (Pettis, Salas) were drafted -- in 2011.

That's not to say I absolve Spagnuolo/Devaney of any wrongdoing during their time here.
    I was just commenting on why those two were drafted.

20. -X- Not into the whole brevity thing.

And only one on the team with more (Cook).

BeerOClock likes this.