Wagoner: Pettis on the bubble

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Source: ESPN.com - Nick Wagoner
St. Louis Rams WR Austin Pettis' roster spot may in jeopardy in training camp.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
The Rams have Stedman Bailey facing a four-game suspension to start the season, but that doesn't mean Pettis is safe. He's a below average player who has failed to play up to expectations as a pro. It's not going to be a surprise if/when the Rams let him go. Pettis finally played a full season for the first time in his three-year career, but he only registered 38 catches.

Does Nick have some insight into the Rams view of Pettis? Who knows.

All I do know is my own view of Pettis from watching him for 3 years. He's a plodder who gets no separation and is a zero threat to any opposing defense. He is usually single covered by the worst DB and occasionally is able to make a catch because he does have good hands and a wide catching radius. If the Rams had drafted a WR, clearly Pettis would be out. I view him similar to Gibson, he's a subpar receiver who I would rather see on another team if only to make our DBs job easier when we face him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Does Nick have some insight into the Rams view of Pettis? Who knows.

All I do know is my own view of Pettis from watching him for 3 years. He's a plodder who gets no separation and is a zero threat to any opposing defense. He is usually single covered by the worst DB and occasionally is able to make a catch because he does have good hands and a wide catching radius. If the Rams had drafted a WR, clearly Pettis would be out. I view him similar to Gibson, he's a subpar receiver who I would rather see on another team if only to make our DBs job easier when we face him.

LOL trade him in the division hahaha.

I think he will be around until Bailey returns and get up to speed.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why would he be cut if they didn't add any new WRs? Unless they keep fewer WRs this year, which I'm not sure since Bailey is suspended, I'm not sure I see him getting cut. I wouldn't shed a tear, though.

jap

Legend
AP was not drafted by Snisher, and they have no real investment in him other than making the best of another regime's selection. With Kenny Britt onboard the U.S.S. Horns, AP's time maybe dwindling down.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
He is a great #6 WR. He makes some stuff happen when everyone is sleeping. He has that sleep, then quick step thing.....works great for 1-4 passes on 3rd down or in red zone. Is that enough to make the team? Only Todd Kinchen knows...:) No, Todd was a good and tough player...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He's not a bad RZ receiver actually. Not much talent though. Like Max says he's single covered by their worst DB all the time - which in turn makes it easier to cover everyone else. Good hands though - I like him personally but wouldn't be surprised if he was on the bubble.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All I do know is my own view of Pettis from watching him for 3 years. He's a plodder who gets no separation and is a zero threat to any opposing defense. He is usually single covered by the worst DB and occasionally is able to make a catch because he does have good hands and a wide catching radius. If the Rams had drafted a WR, clearly Pettis would be out.

Okay Max we understand you don't like Pettis, but who will be the guy to beat him out? Will it be Justin Veltung who has proven to only be a punt returner and was not much of a WR in college either? Will it be T.J. Moe who ran a slower 40 time and is several inches shorter? Will Austin Franklin shocks us all and be the next Victor Cruz? God I hope so, but who's your guy? Who will the Rams keep over Pettis? Maybe even Jamaine Sherman from East Texas Baptist perhaps?

Hey I'm not a huge fan of Pettis, but he seems to put up better numbers with Bradford and does not drop many passes. Granted he's neither quick nor fast, but with Bailey's suspension looming I don't see another options unless one of the above mentioned shocks all of us which would be nice and then you can get your wish and Pettis would be dealt for a conditional draft choice.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not getting sucked into that bullshit description of Pettis.

Because I have tape that says otherwise.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay Max we understand you don't like Pettis, but who will be the guy to beat him out? Will it be Justin Veltung who has proven to only be a punt returner and was not much of a WR in college either? Will it be T.J. Moe who ran a slower 40 time and is several inches shorter? Will Austin Franklin shocks us all and be the next Victor Cruz? God I hope so, but who's your guy? Who will the Rams keep over Pettis? Maybe even Jamaine Sherman from East Texas Baptist perhaps?

Hey I'm not a huge fan of Pettis, but he seems to put up better numbers with Bradford and does not drop many passes. Granted he's neither quick nor fast, but with Bailey's suspension looming I don't see another options unless one of the above mentioned shocks all of us which would be nice and then you can get your wish and Pettis would be dealt for a conditional draft choice.
I think (and hope) it's a probabilistic summation of all the above plus the possibility that they pick up another WR from either a cut or trade before the season starts. There are a lot of good WRs that are in their last year, that may help make a deal easier. And how great would it be if they can swing a deal for Andre Johnson?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think (and hope) it's a probabilistic summation of all the above plus the possibility that they pick up another WR from either a cut or trade before the season starts. There are a lot of good WRs that are in their last year, that may help make a deal easier. And how great would it be if they can swing a deal for Andre Johnson?

They don't have the cap room for Andre Johnson, in fact, they did not have the cap room for Stevie Johnson. Hey I hope they do make a move and maybe a WR will be cut, but unless that happens IMO I think we're in for another year of Pettis.

And come on Max give me a guy on the roster please...One guy who will shock us all, who ist Max? Who is it?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm not getting sucked into that bullcrap description of Pettis.

Because I have tape that says otherwise.
I submit that your tape is doctored up.

I have tape that shows Tyrian Lannister dunking a basketball.

Seriously, I understand that this board is all about supporting our team, but I challenge you to find any impartial and reputable source that says Pettis is any good.

I watched Pettis closely in context of 21 other players on the field. I've seen him up close on the field. He is consistently one of the worst skill players on the field. Of course this is all my opinion. I just want what's best for my team. And I support replacing Pettis.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
They don't have the cap room for Andre Johnson, in fact, they did not have the cap room for Stevie Johnson. Hey I hope they do make a move and maybe a WR will be cut, but unless that happens IMO I think we're in for another year of Pettis.

And come on Max give me a guy on the roster please...One guy who will shock us all, who ist Max? Who is it?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Franklin is the best bet if he can stay healthy through the preseason.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He is consistently one of the worst skill players on the field. Of course this is all my opinion. I just want what's best for my team. And I support replacing Pettis.

Max time to go on the record here, if not Pettis, than who? You can't balst a guy and not have an alternative...Who is the guy currently on the Ram roster that will send Austin Pettis out of the Gateway City? Who Max, who? We're all waiting?:sneaky:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I submit that your tape is doctored up.

I have tape that shows Tyrian Lannister dunking a basketball.

Seriously, I understand that this board is all about supporting our team, but I challenge you to find any impartial and reputable source that says Pettis is any good.

I watched Pettis closely in context of 21 other players on the field. I've seen him up close on the field. He is consistently one of the worst skill players on the field. Of course this is all my opinion. I just want what's best for my team. And I support replacing Pettis.
My tape is doctored up? So, I'm putting Pettis in the endzone by myself?

I already said I'm not getting sucked into this, so I'm not. This is my last post on this subject. I get it that Pettis is your new whipping boy, so hooray for your new pet project. But if you intend to shove the fact that he's "a bum" down my throat, you can find another sucker.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Franklin is the best bet if he can stay healthy through the preseason.
Replacing one Austin with another...Thank you sir and I happen to like Franklin too and now that I have you on board let's start posting about the New Mexico State product!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'm sure this is simply stating that Pettis isn't a guarantee and is competing with the UDFA and other people brought in (I.E. TJ Moe, Veltung, Sherman, Blake, etc.)

I read on rotoworld that cutting Pettis saves 1.4m and only counts 140,000 in dead money. If they decide to keep someone else besides Pettis it might help to sign another vet at another position, such as bringing Harvey Dahl back for depth.

lockdnram21

Legend
Might as well cut pettis and let him latch on with another team. I dont see him getting much play time this coming season. If they do cut him i would think it would be because they feel they have there receivers in Quick,Austin,Bailey, Givens, and i would say Franklin or Sherman. Sherman reminds me of Justin Hunter in College. Only thing is hes raw but from tapes he has good hands

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I read on rotoworld that cutting Pettis saves 1.4m and only counts 140,000 in dead money. If they decide to keep someone else besides Pettis it might help to sign another vet at another position, such as bringing Harvey Dahl back for depth.

Great point although I'm not a fan of bringing Dahl back because IMO he looked done last year, however, they might be able to add another WR they like better with the cap savings.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
and i would say Franklin or Sherman. Sherman reminds me of Justin Hunter in College. Only thing is hes raw but from tapes he has good hands

You actually watched tape of East Texas Baptist? What teams do they play against?