Wagoner on Jenkins: You Don't See Him Growing Up --101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner joins Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr and talks about Janoris Jenkins’ arrested development: ‘You don’t see him growing up on or off the field’. Jenkins keeps making the same mistakes in his 3rd year. After the SF game he refused to talk to the media after the game. (2:21)

Listen to Wagoner Talk Jenkins

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I don't give Wagoner credibility anymore. gets under my skin with making obvious observations or just acting indifferent all the time. JJ has problems but there's pros and cons to his play style. for one thing in his rookie year our defense was run by committee we had no coordinator! and I think they did a better job than Walton did or Williams so far and that was with less talent. now it's the defense that can't find stability in its play style and play calling. let JJ play aggressive and put a goddamn safety back there for once Williams

Philly5

Rookie
Maybe some media criticism helps JJ improve? Consistency is more important than flash.

RamWoodie

Legend
They guy plays instinctively, and he's hardly seasoned! It takes time to overcome inherent tendencies...so let Jenkins continue to grow. You don't see teams raring to throw his way...so he's doing something right!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Holy smokes, I can't say I've been a Jenkins fan in the past, but I sure am warming up to the kid now, and the reason is because of his improvement.

I'm still shocked by his tackling, and if he was playing like last year in Williams' defense, we'd really be crying in our beers.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He has gambled and lost more than he has won so far this season. But that could easily switch by the end of the season. His pick 6s are something we just don't get from anyone else.
His work in run support is ver good as well imo.

He hasn't gotten in any trouble since entering the league, so I'm thinking that Wagoner is just piss because Jenkins didn't want to talk after the Monday night game. So? I didn't want to either.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Jenkins obviously most talented Rams DB on the field. Coach him. So what he didn't want to talk after the game. Give em a break. Kids. Im not a big fan of his life outside football, but I don't have to be. If he's treating his coaches and teammates with respect that's all he has to do.

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
I like JJ. He's a gambler and gets burned but he'll also get the big play from time to time. That big play ability will eventually show up at a time we need it most. He does need to show more discipline by keeping the play in front of him. He's a pretty good tackler to boot and doesn't shy away from contact.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I saw the word arrested and almost shat my pants... :eek:

Same here. Oh and media is dumb. I don't recall JJ being burned aside vs. SF on a consistent basis. Trying to make something out of nothing.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Seems like making something more out of nothing, with a small hint of butthurt about him not talking to the media. Lot of shit to fling at him just for one bad game.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
I don't blame Jenkins for not talking to the media. It was a smart move by him. Why talk when you know you are to angry to give politically correct answers. This is more about Wagner rubbing to sticks together trying to make smoke

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If Jenkins stays healthy and plays at this level for 8-10 years he's on pace for like 20 defensive touchdowns. Which is fucking insane.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
After reading some responses I was expecting Wagoner to have just completely undressed Jenkins...but that was hardly the fact at all. He was critical but nothing that was over the top. Guys, on a 2-4 team there are going to be some very legitimate criticism of some players on this team, and Jenkins is most definitely one of the players that has earned some. Every time someone in the media has something critical or even negative to say about something with this team doesn't mean there is some underlying motivation for it.

Jenkins does get beat. He has gotten beat bad for a couple TDs and for first downs. I think the points made by Wagoner and Karraker are pretty accurate, as a rookie he flashed a heckuva lot more than hat we've seen so far in these following 2 years.

Jenkins was one of my favorite draft picks, but man, I think it's crazy to sit here and act like he's a difference maker for the Rams in a positive way right now. He's a darn good tackling CB and he has playmaking ability...but he proves to be shaky to a liability at times. I think it is pretty much a fact he has a ton of growing to do yet as a player and even more clearly as a pro if he is ducking out of the locker room after he blew a big time play. I'd love to see Trumaine Johnson push Jenkins.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Not sure, but I think Wilson went at him 3 times on the Squawk's final drive, all completions.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Not sure, but I think Wilson went at him 3 times on the Squawk's final drive, all completions.

I think that was because we were trying to play bend but don't break defense and give up the underneath routes. Too bad we missed tackles and the defense broke.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I love the jackrabbit. Yea, he gets beat sometimes and takes a lot of chances, but I think he's going to end up being one of the best corners in the league. The guy sticks his nose in there and is a good tackler - very physical. Cornerback is an incredibly hard position to play, especially with so much emphasis on defensive holding / interference these days. I think he'll 'get it' at some point and be the shutdown corner we all think he can be. And I could give a rat's ass if he talks to the media after the game. Don't get your panties in a bunch Wagoner... every one has an off day and doesn't want to talk about it. Remember all the concerns about him being drafted? I think he's kept his nose pretty damn clean up to this point.

Speeps

Starter
This is dumb. He's in his 3rd year right? How many off the field incidents has he had in the NFL? How many off the field incidents did he have in college?

Thats call growing up to me. Waggoner needs to stop taking notes from Sando.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that he showed a lot of moxie in getting back in the game after being injured. That says a lot about his character.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I think once JJ shows a little more discipline on his coverage assignments he will be a better corner.The man has talent not doubting that but a more disciplined corner does not bite in the SF game and gets burned for 80 yards going into halftime .

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I gotta disagree. He had the worste play in his career happen on Monday night. Despite that play, he's having a really good season.

His run support is really good. He's got his little shoulder sweep take down down to a T.