Wagoner on Fisher on Dunbar...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/375343919539560450[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/375347356385816576[/tweet]

A55VA6

Legend
They probably punished him by releasing him so let's say we sign him, his salary is basically cut in half. Ouch.

bskrilla

Starter
Very interesting. I hope they do sign him back. Make him take a pay cut. That's a win all around. Sends a message to young guys, saves us some money, and we still get Dunbar back.

We shall see.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I hope they re sign him after the suspension. I just cant see WW taking his place all season.

jjab360

Legend
LosAngelesRams said:
I hope they re sign him after the suspension. I just cant see WW taking his place all season.
No matter when we sign him, he still has to serve that 4 week suspension.

EDIT: I may be wrong on that, I'm not sure.

Psycho_X

Legend
jjab360 said:
LosAngelesRams said:

Yes he must serve 4 games suspended as part of a roster. So he can't just sit out for the first four weeks and suddenly sign with someone and play the next game.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Psycho_X said:
jjab360 said:
LosAngelesRams said:

Yes he must serve 4 games suspended as part of a roster. So he can't just sit out for the first four weeks and suddenly sign with someone and play the next game.
This is what Wagoner tweeted.

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/nwagoner/statuses/375359060284932097[/Tweet]

"Rams' Dunbar is still eligible to return for week 5 game against Jacksonville. Does not have to be with a team for clock to start"

Doesn't seem right....but

V3

Hall of Fame
That makes more sense as to why they released him. There's risk in losing him to another team, though. I'm not sure how I feel about this. If they get him back, it's brilliant. If they don't, it's stupid.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
They may have a verbal deal with dunbar not to sign elsewhere

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rabid Ram said:
No offense to anyone (Dunbar included), but he'd have to be a bitch to agree to get cut, have his salary wiped off the books (which reduces his paycheck for the year), and then promise to hang around and wait for the Rams to sign him again when they feel like it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Rabid Ram said:

I think that would be considered a violation and Fisher being on the rules committee isn't likely to skirt them that way.

They COULD however have offered him a pay cut which he refused so he was waved.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If you guys can't read between the lines here. Then you aren't paying attention.

They have to be cap compliant (53 man roster/IR/practice squad) etc today.

This was purely a financial move while he serves his suspension. Between the cap relief they get from releasing Dunbar and the extension of Sims. And Fisher eluded to this without actually saying it.

There is No other issue with Dunbar. No further discipline. No more failed tests.

That Fisher said this much is surprising to me. But it seems pretty apparent that there isn't anymore to this than freeing up cap space for the short term.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
If you guys can't read between the lines here. Then you aren't paying attention.

This was purely a financial move while he serves his suspension. Between the cap relief they get fm releasing Dunbar and the extension of Sims. And Fisher eluded to this without actually saying it.

There is No other issue with Dunbar. No further discipline. No more failed tests.

That Fisher said this much is surprising to me. But it seems pretty apparent that there isn't anymore to this than freeing up cap space for the short term.
Possibly. But Fisher was visibly pissed off when Dunbar got suspended initially, and he was demoted during the preseason (rightfully so, because Spoon needed the reps). He could be brought back and everyone is hunky dory with each other, but there's also the possibility that they don't miss him, someone younger gets the reps behind Spoon, and Dunbar never returns.

Dunbar facilitated the Rams getting fined by the league because he was the third one to test dirty, so they weren't pleased by that either, and as J.T. pointed out today, the SAM (right) LB doesn't get a boat load of reps anyway because of the nickel corner grabbing a good share of those too. Who knows what happens. But I do know we're paying attention to the stories about the cap savings. That's clearly one of the motivating factors ... as well.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
X said:
CoachO said:

This was purely a financial move while he serves his suspension. Between the cap relief they get fm releasing Dunbar and the extension of Sims. And Fisher eluded to this without actually saying it.

Possibly. But Fisher was visibly pissed off when Dunbar got suspended initially, and he was demoted during the preseason (rightfully so, because Spoon needed the reps). He could be brought back and everyone is hunky dory with each other, but there's also the possibility that they don't miss him, someone younger gets the reps behind Spoon, and Dunbar never returns.

Dunbar facilitated the Rams getting fined by the league because he was the third one to test dirty, so they weren't pleased by that either, and as J.T. pointed out today, the SAM (right) LB doesn't get a boat load of reps anyway because of the nickel corner grabbing a good share of those too. Who knows what happens. But I do know we're paying attention to the stories about the cap savings. That's clearly one of the motivating factors ... as well.

I have mentioned here on other threads the sub packages and how Dunbar's role was going to be reduced regardless.

In Fisher's comments. He mentioned that they addressed the disappointment. And have got past that. Both the organization and his teammates.

I get that we as fans always the to look for a deeper meaning with surprise decisions. But in this case. After seeing Fisher's comments, there just doesn't seem to be anything in terms of further discipline or a lack of desire to have Dunbar on this team moving forward.

It serves no purpose to keep him under contract (and have him count against the cap) while he is suspended. With the understanding that they will readdress the issue in the near future.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
X said:
CoachO said:

I have mentioned here on other threads the sub packages and how Dunbar's role was going to be reduced regardless.

In Fisher's comments. He mentioned that they addressed the disappointment. And have got past that. Both the organization and his teammates.

I get that we as fans always the to look for a deeper meaning with surprise decisions. But in this case. After seeing Fisher's comments, there just doesn't seem to be anything in terms of further discipline or a lack of desire to have Dunbar on this team moving forward.

It serves no purpose to keep him under contract (and have him count against the cap) while he is suspended. With the understanding that they will readdress the issue in the near future.
You're probably right, but I'm not ruling out other possibilities.

wrstdude

Rookie
CoachO said:

This was purely a financial move while he serves his suspension. Between the cap relief they get from releasing Dunbar and the extension of Sims. And Fisher eluded to this without actually saying it.

This is kind of what I'm thinking. Nothing is surprising to me in the NFL anymore, so who knows.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
CoachO said:

Aw gee coach , the league has banned Adderall so my focus ain't whut it arta be.

Four games into the season before we'd re sign him, he aint there if money is ALL this is about.

BTW confidence is just SOOOO sexy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
CoachO said:

Aw gee coach , the league has banned Adderall so my focus ain't whut it arta be.

Four games into the season before we'd re sign him, he aint there if money is ALL this is about.

No one said, least of all Fisher, that they're gonna wait il the suspension is over before looking to re-sign him.

After this week, when Pead comes back, someone is going to have to go. Depending on who that ends up being they could very well be able to "afford" to bring him back.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
CoachO said:
Thordaddy said:
CoachO said:

No one said, least of all Fisher, that they're gonna wait il the suspension is over before looking to re-sign him.

After this week, when Pead comes back, someone is going to have to go. Depending on who that ends up being they could very well be able to "afford" to bring him back.

Well I'm no one,and I said it.

Psycho_X

Legend
DR RAM said:
Psycho_X said:
jjab360 said:
LosAngelesRams said:

This is what Wagoner tweeted.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/375359060284932097[/tweet]

"Rams' Dunbar is still eligible to return for week 5 game against Jacksonville. Does not have to be with a team for clock to start"

Doesn't seem right....but

Typed that out before I left work and realized on way home I was thinking about it and realized I was wrong lol.

Anyway, yeah just a financial move. People were theorizing who'd we'd cut to be under cap last week... Dunbar was it.