Wagoner On Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well there is arm strength in the sense of just throwing it as far as you can and then there is being able to execute a throw into a tight space in game situations.
Like this?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As part of his online Chat Session.

icon_sn.png
Nick Wagoner
(1:53 PM)

He's quick to go to check downs and often refuses to throw the ball into coverage. Some of that may be a mistrust of his receivers to win one on one battles but sometimes you have to put faith in your receivers to go up and get it. And, of course, he's had his share of injury issues in half of his NFL seasons. That counts for something too. For the most part, he hasn't had much help from receivers to answer that part of the question. It's a young group and they miss sight adjustments fairly often.

Well I recall Sam throwing into some very tight windows to Amendola. He trusted Danny and I believe that has Everything to do with his unwillingness to throw the ball into tight coverage. He has never developed the faith in a WR like he did with Danny. Brandon Gibson was starting to be a guy Sam relied on but he is gone. Right now he doesn't trust any of them. He started out real hot with Cook but that didn't last after Cook dropped a few. Ditto for Austin also. Once sees the guys make mistakes he loses confidence in them quick.

This is where I would prefer Sam to be more vocal and hold guys more accountable on the field. He could call them out and get little mad. It wont hurt and is better than just shaking your head and then being afraid to throw it to the guy who just dropped the ball.

fearsomefour

Legend
Like this?

A thing of freaking beauty. Yep, like that.
Warner would make up for lack of arm strength with anticipation, like we see Peyton doing now, other guys make up for reading things late with arm strength. That was a great play, just how I am sure it is drawn up. Look off the middle defender deliver a strike. Beautiful.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're discussing arm strength, I have Bradford in the third tier in the NFL among starters. He's right around 8-11. First tier are guys like Rodgers, Flacco, Stafford, etc.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think it is reasonable to say that he does not have trust built up with his WR team. Most of them have played less than a full season together, not a real surprise that they don't have the kind of rapport of guys that have played 3 or 4 seasons together.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Rhythm comes from timing and trust. It can be broke down from both of those and protection issues ... which should be included in the "trust" category. Sam's arm is plenty strong enough.If anything, he needs to learn to tone it down in the short area routes. Most NFL QB's throw timing routes .... and young, inexperienced route runners tend to not be where they are supposed to be,,, when they need to be. Add the drops and pressure from the defense or poor pas protection and you have.... an erratic QB.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well I recall Sam throwing into some very tight windows to Amendola. He trusted Danny and I believe that has Everything to do with his unwillingness to throw the ball into tight coverage. He has never developed the faith in a WR like he did with Danny. Brandon Gibson was starting to be a guy Sam relied on but he is gone. Right now he doesn't trust any of them. He started out real hot with Cook but that didn't last after Cook dropped a few. Ditto for Austin also. Once sees the guys make mistakes he loses confidence in them quick.

This is where I would prefer Sam to be more vocal and hold guys more accountable on the field. He could call them out and get little mad. It wont hurt and is better than just shaking your head and then being afraid to throw it to the guy who just dropped the ball.

It is kinda hard to have that immediate ability to read a defense when you are still learning an offense or your WR's are not where they should be consistently... yes?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You say this with some sort of conviction but I promise you, you are incorrect. he has a canon. Hell, even his most hated haters admit this. He's drilled more than a few balls off the chest plate of his receivers 15-20 yards down field.

Just pay attention if you hear anyone within the Rams speak on this subject.
I agree with you. Strong arm. He's got an extra missle gear he can go to occasionally on medium routes. He still needs to get better at putting some touch on the short stuff at times.
His deep ball arm strength is good enough when he has time to set.

His accuracy has always been better than average IMO...but his deep ball accuracy is 10 x better than it was his rookie year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Kid has all the tools he needs ,worst arm in the league is in the Super Bowl

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Damn that's amazing. I've seen Bradford uncork a few, but not that far. This one here is about 60 (in the air).

On the topic of arm strength... In that video, he's throwing that ball effortless.

Sam has all the arm strength he needs to make all the throws... the bombs included.

RFIP

On the topic of arm strength... In that video, he's throwing that ball effortless.

Sam has all the arm strength he needs to make all the throws... the bombs included.

Absolutely. He didn't even step in to that throw either.
My favorite Bradford throw to this point in his career however is the one vs the Ravens where he is on the dead run to his right, being chased by Suggs and just before he goes out of bounds he flicks the ball to the back of the EZ maybe 40-50 yards in the air, a high arching rainbow right on the money to Gibson for 6!

If I had the video skills I'd post it here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Absolutely. He didn't even step in to that throw either.
My favorite Bradford throw to this point in his career however is the one vs the Ravens where he is on the dead run to his right, being chased by Suggs and just before he goes out of bounds he flicks the ball to the back of the EZ maybe 40-50 yards in the air, a high arching rainbow right on the money to Gibson for 6!

If I had the video skills I'd post it here.
C'mon. You know I have that one.

At the 45 second mark.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Damn that's amazing. I've seen Bradford uncork a few, but not that far. This one here is about 60 (in the air).

And this one X wasn't even a full cork and throw. I would bet if Bradford tried to throw as far as he could 70 yards is in his capability.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And this one X wasn't even a full cork and throw. I would bet if Bradford tried to throw as far as he could 70 yards is in his capability.
I'm sure he could too. But it's not often a QB (a) has to throw it that far or (b) has the time to let the receiver get that far down field.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm sure he could too. But it's not often a QB (a) has to throw it that far or (b) has the time to let the receiver get that far down field.

Very true. Next year I want to see nothing but 70 yard bombs. :razz:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bradford's arm strength is fine. What I dislike is that he isn't accurate enough and he often seems to lack touch on his shorter passes