Wagoner, mailbag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Berkley, Northern Arkansas
12:32 PM CT
Hey Nick, Why does it seem like the Rams aren't willing to fight harder to keep Lloyd. Are we so sure we are going to get help in FA/Draft that we don't want him. Even if we get help elsewhere he is still a great slot or better for a few more years. Or do you think it is more of a situation where Lloyd just doesn't want to play for us without McDaniels. I think he proved the last half of the season that he is worthy of the tag or better yet a 2 or 3 year deal. Thoughts?

WAGONER:
What do you want them to do, exactly? They have expressed interest in discussing a contract with him. But he's not a $9 million/year player that you'd use the franchise tag on. Keep in mind, too, that he's had his most success as a wideout under Josh McDaniels and McDaniels is no longer here. The door is still open for a return but not for a deal that breaks the bank.

Rich, St Louis, Mo
12:34 PM CT
Nick: It seems to me that many of the football media personalities are setting the bar way too high with regards to what the Rams could get in exchange for the 2nd pick in the draft this year. What is you opinion of the realistic trade value of the 2nd pick in the draft? THANKS!

WAGONER:
It's really hard to say because teams can play hard ball right now because they have the leverage of free agency on their side. We'll know more after that dust settles. Realistically, I think you have to use two first round picks as a baseline. Ultimately, I think it'll be that with another early round pick or two thrown in.

fred, boise
12:37 PM CT
need a draft question now? how serious do you think the Browns are for the #2 pick? Holmgren likes to develope QB's doesn't he, with all the project QB's in the draft and McCoy. or do you think he needs a starter now? i'm sure they have alot of needs across the board too! now back to the williams scandel!

WAGONER:
There are rumors that the Browns aren't as hot after Griffin as some suspected. I think that's probably posturing at this point and will change as we get closer to the draft. The Browns are in a unique position because they are in a great spot to acquire a franchise QB and they just so happen to have the ammo to move up and do it. If they don't do it this year, that chance might not present itself again for awhile.

ram for life, fort laderdale, fl
12:39 PM CT
Nick good day to you buddy, with the latest rumours saying that the dolphins want to move brandon marshall in your opinion would moving to 10 and getting more picks and a big proven catcher in marshall and maybe flloyd at 10 make more sense than moving down to say 4 or 6 and maybe taking blackmon who's stock is getting worse daily (height, questionable speed and lets face it he's a rookie just never know if they will be good) we could get a huge veteran and a bigger rookie who's way faster and in my opinion more upside in the same deal. And if we only move back a few spots claibourne's the better pick. Oh and one more question, with the talent packed in the middle rounds in this draft wouldnt moving back maybe twice and getting a few more 2nd and 3rd rounders be good on a team with this many holes? Thanks a lot for the forum nick us fans couldnt survive without your weekly input from rams park can't wait for the season. GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!

WAGONER:
I haven't seen anything about the Dolphins wanting to move Brandon Marshall. He'd potentially be an interesting option if Miami decided it wanted to chase RG3. The Dolphins pick at 8, not 10. And I think that'd probably be too high for Floyd given some of his off the field questions. As for Blackmon, I don't know what makes you say his stock is getting worse by the day. Don't buy into the media crap that a 40 time will make or break a prospect. Blackmon is fine and he's going to run at his pro day on Friday. If he is in the range he's expected to be, he'll solidify himself as the top WR in the draft. To your last question, yes the Rams have needs but at the top of that list of needs is difference making players. If you move back too far, you run the risk of not getting those premium impact players.

Walker, Rochester mn
12:44 PM CT
What is the likelihood that the rams take Floyd at 6 if blackmon, Claiborne, and kalil are gone? If not Floyd what's the most likely option?

WAGONER:
Not very likely. It's a good question, one I'm not sure the answer to right now. I'd think Richardson and Reiff would be candidates and possibly even Kuechly, Brockers or Poe.

Jacob, CA.
12:45 PM CT
Nick, I hope the Rams add some beef in the middle of the d-line. The other three teams in our divison like to run the ball.Do you think Albert Hayneworth is worth a 1 yr. contract with the Rams?

WAGONER:
I don't really know. If he's motivated and plays like he did under FIsher the first go around, he's absolutely worth a flyer. The question is, does he want to be back in the league and does he care enough to restore his reputation?.

Jacob, Ca.
12:46 PM CT
Nick, After watching the draft.If the Rams do trade down no farter then 6. I think if they do trade with the browns and end up with 2 frist. it should go DT Poe at 4 and the 22nd rb the kid from VT or Boise and at top of the 2nd RD. take a wide out like Stepen Hill.The Rams can get a LT in the Free agent market. If its redskins we can go DT Poe , Tackle Riley , or Wide out.And hopefully the Rams can end up with 2 second Rd. picks with the frist pick in the second do wide out Hill then running pack with the pick the Rams get with Washington. Either way the Rams have a chance to add weapons for the offence in the frist 2 rds.

WAGONER:
People are getting a little too high on Poe based on the combine. Did he help himself? Sure. But scouts say he still has some motor questions, a tendency to take some plays off. Maybe at 6 he'd be an option but even that might be too high. And, no, you can't get an LT in free agency. It's one of the hardest positions in football to fill via FA because teams don't let good ones get away.

Jacob, CA
12:49 PM CT
Hey Nick, I hope the Rams don`t fool themself on trading the 2nd pick.The Rams already said they are not interested in RG3. Some teams my start talking trade talks with the Viking. If the Rams are asking to much. What do you think?

WAGONER:
That won't happen. Teams that want RG3 will have to go through the Rams. It's not a matter of worrying about the Rams taking him, it's a matter of worrying that another team will trade up to take him.

Terrence, Philadelphia
12:49 PM CT
Hey Nick- With the potential of a major scandal from the bounty issue is there a chance that the team will look to replace Williams? It looks like the commissioner is going to make him the example so is the contingency plan in place yet?

WAGONER:
I won't comment much further on this since it's still being resolved. But there's no contingency right now because nothing has happened yet. I will say this: Dave McGinnis is already on staff. He has experience as a DC and a head coach.

Julian Felice, Gibraltar
12:51 PM CT
Hey Nick What if we don't get a trade for the No.2 pick? What do you think the Rams will do? Draft Griffin and have him as trade bait? Or go for other players who perhaps wouldn't normally go No.2?

WAGONER:
Good question. I'd think it comes down to Kalil, Blackmon or Claiborne if they have to stay put. I don't think it will come to that, though.

Michael, Providence, RI
12:53 PM CT
Hello Nick, thanks for taking our questions. I'm sure you are getting inundated with multiple questions about "bountygate". My questions is if Williams gets suspended for a long period of time (say 1 season or more) will the Rams go in a different direction? Does this also effect who they sign as a FA? For instance Courtland Finnegan is known as a big hitter and kind of dirty. Would they not be willing to sign him now because they'll be afraid of a possible league investigation if he hurts someone after a big hit?

WAGONER:
No, I don't expect it to make a difference on possible free agents unless some of those guys are suspended as a result of all this.

Burkley, Northern Arkansas
12:53 PM CT
I agree that Lloyd isn't worth 9 million, Unless its going to be unused cap space. But I would venture to say that the Patriots are not going to break the bank on a contract with Lloyd either. How much more do you think we would have to offer him then the Pats would to get him to stay?

WAGONER:
The Rams would likely have to pay more than the Patriots to get Lloyd. But again, he's made it clear he wants to play for McDaniels. And why wouldn't he? He's never had even close to the success he's had with McDaniels in any other stop.

Julian Felice, Gibraltar
12:56 PM CT
Hi again Nick.....now that franchise tags are out of the way, any FA that catch your eye that could realistically be with us next season?

WAGONER:
There are some good players on the market. If you're talking big money guys, I think the following would make sense: Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Jason Jones, Tracy Porter, Cortland Finnegan and Ben Grubbs. Obviously, the Rams probably can't sign more than one, maybe two of those guys. Some guys that might not be as costly that would intrigue me: Robert Meachem, Evan Mathis, Dan Connolly, Israel Idonije. Be sure to read all the free agent previews on the front page for more in depth analysis. Yesterday was WRs and TEs and today is OL. I'll have DL coming tomorrow and hit all positions before March 13.

Michael, Providence, RI
12:59 PM CT
Hi Nick, thanks again for taking our questions. There are media reports that Bartell might get cut. Is the current coaching staff afraid that he might not come back as he once after the neck fracture? Or could it be that they don't feel he is worth the money? Me personally, I think he's one of the best 5-10 cover guys in the league and you can never have enough corners.

WAGONER:
I don't think the current staff has a feel for Bartell since he hasn't been able to show how healthy he is right now. But there's some risk involved there, certainly and when you combine it with his price tag, that's where the speculation comes from. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Randy Smith, Eugene, OR
1:00 PM CT
Hey Nick, A lot of big names will be hitting the free agent market. If the Rams are willing to make a few splashes we could be looking at a solid team. Unfortunately probably not enough to make enough splashes on both sides of the ball, but would like to see us solidify the oline plus pick up a WR and maybe look to defense a bit more in the draft or maybe get a WR via FA along with say Finnegan to help out the secondary then draft anyway the team needs to after that. Sorry it was so long but I sure would like us to be a big player in FA. Thoughts? Thanks Nick!

WAGONER:
The Rams will make some aggressive moves in free agency, of that I'm sure. But don't count on it being a situation where they target just specific positions. They'll target players. Then, whatever they get, they can reshuffle the deck on needs for the draft.

mel stone, clinton utah
1:01 PM CT
has there been any talks with team wanting to move up and grab Kali instead of rg3?

WAGONER:
I haven't heard any of that. But I have mentioned in the past and I still think it to be true that a team could potentially want to move up for Kalil. After QBs, franchise left tackles might be the most valuable position on the roster.

mel stone, clinton utah
1:02 PM CT
Who do you like better Claiborne or Blackman? I like Claiborne, I don't think that there is that much differance in the top 3 or 4 wr this year.

WAGONER:
Not sure if you saw my post Combine top 32 players but I had them ranked this way: Claiborne No. 4 and Blackmon No. 6. I think on pure talent, Claiborne is the better player but I think they are both outstanding players and I think both are a notch above the rest of the players at their position.

Julian Felice, Gibraltar
1:03 PM CT
Nick, this is my last question, I promise. Not sure what the rules about this are. Should we lose Brandon Lloyd, would we get any compensatory draft picks considering he arrived just under halfway through the season?

WAGONER:
The Rams would be in line for compensatory picks if they lost Lloyd and didn't go sign others to replace him. The compensatory selections are determined based on a plus/minues system where if you lose more talent than you gain, you receive picks. So a lot more would go into it than Lloyd.

Blaine, Montana
1:05 PM CT
Hey Nick. Looks like free agency is starting to clear up a little. Do you believe the Rams try for Wallace or Colston. I personally dont like Jackson just because he hasnt performed upto grear receiver numbers the pst two years. Also do you think the Rams could go after Michael Bush to back up SJ39. Thanks Nick

WAGONER:
The Rams simply can't go for Wallace unless they somehow acquire another first round pick. They won't give up a top 10 pick for a wideout. Colston could certainly be of interest but there are some red flags there. He's been an injury risk in his career and he's a bit older than some of the other WRs out there. Not sure on Bush but I'd think he'll probably command more from a team in need of a No. 1 back.

Julio C., Sacramento, CA
1:07 PM CT
What are the chances that we are able to sign these free agents: Cortland Finnegan(Ccool smiley, Jason Jones(DT), John Carlson(TE),Demetrius Bell(OT), Nick Hardwick(OC)?

WAGONER:
Well, you won't sign all of them. I'm told Hardwick almost certainly won't leave San Diego. Bell is going to be the top tackle on the market which probably means he'll be overpaid. I think one of Finnegan or Jones is possible but probably not both. And though the Rams need help at TE, I'm not sure Carlson is the answer.

mel stone, clinton utah
1:08 PM CT
This may sound funny but do they ever trade players for draft picks? is there a chance that maybe a player could be put in a package deal for the 2nd pick like a starting WR or OT?

WAGONER:
Sure they do. And it's possible it could happen here.

Blaine, Montana
1:08 PM CT
Hey Nick. If we trade down, do you believe that trading to number 6 may be too far down in order to still get Blackmon. I honestly believe we can trade no further than 4 to still get him, and I would love to see a guy like Justin in a Rams uniform, cmon he is a beast, Also if we can get clevelands number 22 as well do you think Richardson could fall down that far. Thanks Nick

WAGONER:
I may be in the minority but I DO think Blackmon could be on the board at No. 6. If you go below 6 then probably not. But I still think there are 6 players above the rest so as long as you come out with one of those six, you feel good about it. And I'd be flabbergasted if Richardson fell that low.

ERIK, Virginia Beach, VA
1:09 PM CT
Hey Nick. I been a rams fan since 1980. I just wanted to know with all this draft talk about the rams trading their pick is there any change the teams that are interested in the pick (browns, redskins, dolphins) might give us some players as well. I mean getting draft picks is all good but its a crap shoot most of the time. I just want to know if there could be some players changing hands from those teams for the pick as well. Thanks.

WAGONER:
See above. It's definitely possible. But let me add this for those dreaming of pie in the sky scenarios where the Browns give up No. 4 and Joe Thomas for the No. 2...it's NOT happening. Remember, these teams have needs to fill too and they aren't going to create more to move up.

DeMarcus, Louisville, Ky
1:10 PM CT
Hey nick, what do you think about this scenario, trade with the browns, pick Blackmon at 4, Poe at 22, and Lamar Miller or Stephen Hill with the 1st pick of the 2nd round. It sounds like it could happen. I would take blackmon at no4 even though I think the fans maybe overrating his nfl value.

WAGONER:
Sounds like a solid first three to me though I'm not sure Poe lasts that long. He feels like a pick 10-15 guy to me.

Roger Koopman, Bozeman, Montana
1:11 PM CT
Nice piece on Luke Kuechly, Nick -- thanks. Clearly, replacing Poppinga is one of the Rams' glaring needs, but I'm not convinced Kuechly is a natural OLB. Who else in the draft is on the Rams' radar? Zach Brown? Upshaw? (Imagine a run defense that features Poe and Upshaw! Doubtful the Rams' picks will fall that way, tho') Any OLB free agents that are in our sights? (I hesitate to ask, given the disappointing results from last year's crop of LB signees.) What are you hearing from the inside?

WAGONER:
That's the question on Kuechly but I have had a few scouts swear to me that he can play any of the positions at LB and be a stud. I wouldn't be shocked if whoever drafts him plugs him in on the outside. I LOVE Upshaw, think he's an absolute stud. But I think he's more suited for a 3-4 as an outside backer. He seems like a LaMarr Woodley type to me. He probably could play SAM in a 4-3 but I don't think he's as much of a slam dunk there as he would be in a 3-4. Brown is an option as a natural 4-3 OLB. I'd add Lavonte David of Nebraska and Sean Spence of Miami as a couple of other possibilities. Not much out there at OLB on the free agent market, especially guys that fit in a 4-3.

Russ , in Phoenix
1:13 PM CT
Hey Nick! Assuming the Rams do the trade down with Washington, the draft could look like: IND-QB Luck; WAS-QB Griffin; MIN-OT Kalil; CLE-WR Blackmon, TAM-CB Claiborne and the Rams would be without any of the top 3 non-QB picks. Rams would pick WR Floyd? The top DT on their board? RB Richardson? Try to move down more? Would it be in the Rams best interests to create a position of need for Cleveland by signing their RB Hillis to as a Free Agent, so that Cleveland would draft Richardson? . Just wondering if how close are the two WRs Blackmon and Floyd? (I am big Floyd / ND fan which probably explains a lot.)

WAGONER:
I think Richardson would be a great pick for the Rams. I have him ranked as the fifth best player in the draft. If you get him at 6, you feel good about it. As for other options, I mentioned above Reiff as an option, possibly Brockers or Poe (though I think that might be a little high for the DTs). Another trade down would make sense but it would almost certainly have to be a team looking to get RIchardson and if that's the case, you've just removed yourself from getting one of the six true difference makers in the draft. I think Blackmon is a notch above Floyd. For a number of reasons.

Brian, Ithaca, NY
1:16 PM CT
Nick, no talk of raiding the colts what do you think about TE tambi and WR Garcon?

WAGONER:
I think Tamme is a really intriguing guy and I think he'd be a good fit. Good call on that one, Brian. I also like Joel Dreessen of Houston. Garcon is talented but inconsistent. It sounds like he wants a boatload of cash, also.

Don Riley , N.J.
1:17 PM CT
Hi Nick, I know they say there are no sure things in the College draft. But, I think there are four sure things in this year's draft. Sure, I like Richardson and Kalil (they're great). But, my sure things are 1) DAVID DECASTRO (the best player I saw all year) G Stanford......2) Andrew Luck Stanford........3) Luke Kuechly Lb BC. 4) Fletcher Cox - Dt- Miss St. (who I think is as good as Suh)......stop laughing !!!.......if Fletcher Cox gets out of the top ten picks. I'll fall over - dead !.(the guy is the best DL in the draft, nobody close !)..........Nick, can the Rams come up with any of these four ????

WAGONER:
I like DeCastro a lot too, think he's right around the 10th best player in the draft. Obviously, Luck is not an option. As I said above, big fan of Kuechly and I think he actually could be in play in a trade down scenario in the 6-8 range but it's a little bit of a projection to move him outside. Cox is also intriguing but it would have to involve some shuffling of picks to land him because he's probably more of a 12-15 type pick than a top 10 guy. DeCastro would be interesting also and 6 would probably be too high but if you moved to somewhere between 8 and 15, he'd also have to be in the mix.

Ramsfan4decades, Arkansas
1:19 PM CT
Any chance of Mario Williams being a ram, at outside linebacker he would make a great tandem for Laurinitaus. i.e. Lewis / Suggs

WAGONER:
Mario Williams is NOT an outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Not happening.

Gateway Rich, St Louis MO
1:20 PM CT
Nick: Are there any potential 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round caliber wide receivers in this years draft that you think might be good additions for the Rams?

WAGONER:
Some names I'm partial to in rounds 2-4 (in no particular order): Iowa's Marvin McNutt, Wisconsin's Nick Toon, LSU's Rueben Randle, Georgia Tech's Stephen Hill and Wake Forest's Chris Givens. A local name that could be a bit of a sleeper is Illinois' A.J. Jenkins.

Rams/Habs Fan, Montreal
1:22 PM CT
Would the following deal make any sense, or are the Vikings as sold on Ponder as the Rams are on Bradford? The Vikings trade the 3rd and 35th picks in the 2012 draft, plus a 1st in 2013 to move to #2 and pick RGIII. The Rams select Kalil, get a blue-chip prospect to play LT and cut Smith. The Vikings then trade Ponder to a quarterback-needy team for their first this year or next?

WAGONER:
To my knowledge, the Vikings are sticking with Ponder. I like your thought process but I'd be surprised if Minnesota gave up on Ponder so quickly.

Paul Hart, Medford, Oregon
1:22 PM CT
Nick. 1st let me say as you are. I am tired of the trade Bradford talk. STOP PEOPLE! Sam is a solid QB with a chance to be a great one. Leave it alone and support him. That said I have some questions. 1st is there any LT out there for FA? I heard Packers Clifford could be released? What are some names that stick out to you at RB & OLB (mid to late rounds)? Thanks NIck for your insight.

WAGONER:
Unfortunately, it's going to be slim pickins at OT in free agency. If Marcu McNeill shakes loose from the Chargers, he could be intriguing. Demtrius Bell is the same way. One name I kind of find intriguing though he's not a big name is Cincinnati's Anthony Collins. Might be the type you can get at a good price and coach him up into a solid starter.

Dave Oliver, Oegon
1:24 PM CT
I wanted to send Les Snead an email...though I really wasn't surprised to not readily find his contact information...and I don't tweet or whatever it is called I know he is busy...duh, go figure I am in Oregon...a wife, 3 kids from 13 - 17 years old, all that to say I am closer to 60 than 50. I was listening to the Herd on ESPN radio this morning. Les's interview with Colin was the best sports related interview that I ever remember hearing. Sure, I have heard funnier ones and/or ones that were of greatest interest to me (am not a big football fan, though am knowledgeable). Now, I have more than a passing interest on what the Rams will be doing and will purpose to keep abreast of their progress. If at all possible forward this to Les, if not, no worries. Thanks

WAGONER:
I'll pass it along. I'm sure he appreciates the kind words, especially since he's still pretty new to having to do the whole media song and dance.

cmoors, Toronto, Canada
1:24 PM CT
Nick, when you were at the combine did you watch Melvin Ingram? Could he play SLB ? He seems to be a helluv of a playmaker who could move around to different positions and create a pass rush...I like to see the Rams pick him if they move down to # 6 or #8. What do you think...

WAGONER:
I've seen a lot of Ingram including the Senior Bowl. A really talented guy, I have him ranked 10th in the top 32. Like with Mario Williams, I just don't see him as an OLB in a 4-3 defense. In a 3-4, sure. But not here.

cmoors, Toronto, Canada
1:25 PM CT
Hi Nick, have the Rams hired a WR and RB coach yet ? Any potential candidates on the horizon?

WAGONER:
Yes. Ben Sirmans is the running backs coach. Ray Sherman will handle wide receivers.

Xavier, Dallas
1:26 PM CT
Hey Nick. I think we should forget about Kalil and Blackmon! Kalil will be long gone if we get 2 first rounds in this draft. Blackmon i'm not high on him but who cares! i think, If we have two picks, poe and Kuechly make more sense in terms of production and availability. What do you think? Thanks for all your hard work!!

WAGONER:
I understand having your own preferences but using production to make an argument against Justin Blackmon doesn't hold much water. Is Blackmon on the level of Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson? Probably not but he's a very, very talented player and he's got a good career in front of him in the NFL.

Ramsfan4decades, Arkansas
1:30 PM CT
so with Fisher at the wheel. Do you think we will start seeing Jackson getting 20+ carries on a regular basis. Maybe even some 30+ from time to time?

WAGONER:
I expect Jackson to be used as much as ever. Yes.

Brian, IThaca, NY
1:31 PM CT
Nick what did you think of Lavonte David OLB from Nebraska at the combine, what i seen of him on drills was he was slipping and sliding all over the place but he is one fast sure tackling LB be a nice fit in the 3rd round?

WAGONER:
I like him. He's a bit undersized but he doesn't avoid taking on and shedding blocks, either. He's got great quickness and isn't afraid to hit. Not sure if he lasts to round 3 but if he does, he'd be a very nice pick there.

Matt, La quinta Ca
1:36 PM CT
if we were to get the two picks from the browns do you see any way claiborne with the 4th pick and 22nd going to PIT for wallace?

WAGONER:
It's a great idea but there are a lot of moving parts to something like that. You'd have to get said deal done sooner than later, for one.

bluecoconuts

Legend
zn said:
WAGONER:
I won't comment much further on this since it's still being resolved. But there's no contingency right now because nothing has happened yet.
I will say this: Dave McGinnis is already on staff. He has experience as a DC and a head coach.

Sounds like Snead is already rubbing off on some of the guys, eh? :lmao: