Wagoner. Mailbag.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

mike, montreal

give us an update what is going on at rams park? Will you answer questions about the proposal for the edward jones dome renovations at all? Aren't you happy josh McDaniels lost the superbowl,? (I never quite liked him and it hurt me that Spags chose him as OC last year, it is what did him in.)

WAGONER:
Right now, the Rams are working toward finding a general manager. There have been a lot of interviews in past week and more coming this week. In addition, Jeff Fisher is still filling out the final three or four spots on his coaching staff. Other than that, preparations have begun for the scouting combine and all of the free agency preparation that is set to start soon.

Pam , Boise

The Ram's have invested alot of money in the offensive line over the last few years. Bell has disappointed, Smith (OT) is a bust, Brown got replaced at center, and others who have failed. Do we really want another lineman like USC's Kali with the second pick and high price tag? I say take Blackmon! Thanks for answering my question and you have a nice day!

WAGONER:
I think you make a fair point and it's one that has me in agreement with you. However, to play devil's advocate, allow me to redirect. If your scouting department believes that Matt Kalil is the better player of the two and the best guy available when you pick, do you pass on him? Especially since he plays a position where you could use help? I am fully on board with adding playmakers but it's never a good idea to draft for need especially when that selection would be something where you're drafting a guy you deem is a "bigger" need than the guy who also is a need but you deem to be a better player.

fred, boise
Do you think Eli Manning winning the Super Bowl have an influence on Peyton playing next year? His resume is extensive, but what team will gamble huge amounts of money and possibly a draft choice or two (if restricted free agent) on him. Seems like a huge bet to make for most teams to make and not knowing if he can compete. Most teams that need a player like Peyton don't need a QB or have the personel to help him play at the level he's acustomed to playing. And will the teams behind the Rams in the draft, that need a QB take him or try to move up to the Ram's postion?

WAGONER:
Let's not get it twisted here and revise history: If Peyton Manning is healthy, he's one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. And he's still very, very good. Granted, that's a big IF but if Manning hits the open market, he will be a very valuable commodity. Will he get a mega deal again right away? Probably not but I'm willing to bet he gets a fair chunk of change with a whole lot of incentives he is more than capable of reaching if he stays healthy. Most likely, if he's available, teams won't have to give up any draft choices. That's a long way of me saying that yes, I believe a team that might be interested in trading with the Rams could take themselves out of the equation should Manning come available.

doug c., paducah,ky

hey nick hows it goin?with free agency starting march 13th, is there any free agents the rams may have their eye on?

WAGONER:
The Rams have been attacking that process here recently and will continue to do so in the next month. Too early to have a read on potential targets but I think we all know some of the spots they're going to be looking closely at.

mike, montreal

What is going to happen with the games in london, is it true that playing one of the home games away form the dome goes against the lease, if so, will they be changed to away games or will they go on anyways?

WAGONER:
The games in London are still on. Tickets are back on sale now.

Joolz, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Hi Nick - just wanted to say how excited I am that the Rams are finally coming to London in October. Got a chance to see them in 1987 at the old Wembley Stadium, when they took on the Broncos in the old "American Bowl" series. Never forget seeing my favourite Ram of all time, Eric Dickerson, run into the endzone I was watching from for a TD, or seeing the Wales rugby kicker at the time, Paul Thorburn, take a kickoff for the Rams as a special event. Good times! Anyway, got to see them play at the Edward Jones dome in 2006, and was treated real well by anyone and everyone I met during my time in St. Louis - hope we can extend the same courtesy when the fans from the US come over here. GO RAMS!

WAGONER:
I'm going to count on you for terrific sight seeing and restaurant suggestions for our trip over there as we get closer to October. I've never been.

fred, boise

Read that the Rams hired a new OL from the Canadian League Jovan Olafioye. Couldn't find out much of anything about him other than his size is incredible 6'6" 325 lbs. Was he drafted, which line position does he play, how old is he, etc. Hope you enjoyed the Super Bowl!

WAGONER:
He is a big man, indeed. Don't know a lot about him. Undrafted free agent out of North Carolina Central in 2010 and played with the BC Lions. Sounds like an intriguing potential prospect who will need some time to develop.

mike, montreal
People ask you every week who are the biggest names at WR who will be available in free agency, I want to know who are the biggest Outside linebacker names out there that will be FAs in this offseason, also are there any defensive or offensive players that you think might follow their Coaches to st-louis?

WAGONER:
Projected OLB free agents: Stephen Tulloch, Anthony Spencer (3-4), Dan Connor, David Hawthorne, Ernie Sims. Not a whole lot available there, some guys who have played inside and out are expected to be there and some 3-4 guys. Tulloch is a name to watch, he has a long history with Fisher and had a nice season in Detroit. He's more of an inside guy but some think he could play on the strong side. As for guys with connections to the Rams coaches, not many names jump out aside from the Fisher connections that have already been mentioned such as Finnegan and
Jones.

mike, montreal

Why does the NFL so desperatly want to move a team to Europe, they have their national sport its called football (the one with the feet and the round ball) wouldn't moving a team to LA or Las Vegas or even Canada make more sense, also how will it work logistically, how will a team like san fran play in london one week and then have a home game the next week they will have 30 hrs of their week waisted in a plane?

WAGONER:
Don't think the league desperately wants a team in London.

Pam, Boise

Sorry for the length of this! I just read that the team had given a second interview to George Paton. Given the Vikings recent record and that their personel are not much better than the Rams. Why would the Rams brain trust think about giving the job to him? I think a better fit might be the 49er director of personel Tom Gamble. We've witnessed what kind of players the Niners have gotten over the past few years, giving Harbaugh the tools to compete right off the bat. Who knows Paton (Vikings) might want to bring in Brett Frave or some other retired has been! Thanks and you have a nice day!!

WAGONER:
Not fair to these guys to judge them based off what their teams did last year. Paton actually has a pretty good track record. As I wrote the other day, he has been more prominently involved in the Vikings pro scouting side where he's helped sign four free agents and make one trade for players that have all gone to the Pro Bowl. Just two years ago, there were 10 Vikings in the Pro Bowl.

Rog, Las Vegas

Nick, Thanks for answering all of the questions. I would like to know, is it Brandon Lloyd or the Rams that don't want to resign him.

WAGONER:
There is interest on both sides for him to return. But there are some moving parts to it that could preclude it from happening.

tim, crocker,mo

are the rams still interested in coming to rolla for traing camp or has that been shelved i believe the rams are missing a opportunity to broaden its fan base within mid missouri

WAGONER:
I think training camp will be here in St. Louis for the forseeable future.

Brian, Ithaca, NY

Hi Nick, Been trying to find out what date free agency starts, Can you help me out?

WAGONER:
March 13. A little later this year.

Joe, Atlantic City

Hey Nick, I have to agree with a lot of the comments I have seen on this website and on NFL.com when fans write in wondering why the Rams are pursuing a GM from teams that are mostly losing organizations. Are all of the successful teams' management that locked up? I think a lot of us would appreciate it if you could shed some light on this. Thanks Nick!

WAGONER:
I'd disagree with that sentiment in a general sense. The Rams are interviewing candidates from a lot of different backgrounds. And like I said earlier, it's not fair to judge some of these guys only on what those teams might have done last year. In recent years, most of the guys who have interviewed for the job have been part of building very successful teams.

fred, boise

the rams are looking at Tom Gamble for GM what do you know of him. seems like a good fit considering what he's done for the niners. wasn't he a head coach at one time?

WAGONER:
I know he's been in the league for 24 years and has some really outstanding experience. One thing to really like about him: Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks. That's a whole lot of experience in all facets of the game.

Steve, Long Island NY

Good day Nick that was a great Super Bowl. 111 million people watched the game, most ever watched tv event in history. Is the team getting close to a new GM yet. Nick I think the Rams should have a day for # 13 what do you think. I did not like the way that the team let him go. I don't think that they did him right. So lets have a big day for him.

WAGONER:
I think the new GM will be in place sometime between the end of this week and around this time next week. As for Kurt Warner, I don't know when but I fully expect that to happen at some point.

Michael , Providence, RI

Thanks for taking our questions. How about that Mizzou team? Who would have thought that Haith would end up doing a better job than Coach Anderson? Anyway to the Rams. I saw that Paton will get a second interview for the GM position. Anyone else frontrunners for the job? Will the new GM keep our current scouting department in place, or will that need to be overhauled as well?

WAGONER:
I was fortunate enough to be in Columbia for the game on Saturday and it was a tremendous atmosphere. Let me just say this RE: Anderson vs. Haith. I greatly appreciate what Anderson did for the program when it was at an absolute low point. But his style of basketball is a bit gimmicky in this day and age and it simply isn't going to yield championships. Missouri is a MUCH better team with an actual halfcourt offense and you're seeing the results. As for the GM job, it's hard to say on the frontrunner thing. Les Snead of Atlanta has also been back for a second time and I expect a few others to get that chance as well. What happens with the current scouting department probably won't be too drastic but some tweaks could come. That'd be normal with a new GM in place.

Tyler, STL

Hello Nick how is it going? I was wondering if Albert Haynesworth would be a possible target for us in free agency. Jeff Fischer coached Albert on the Tennessee Titans and Albert was unstopabble. Do you think they could be reunited possibly. I think we could get Albert for a cheap price since his poor performance the last two years. I feel like Jeff could get Albert on the right track. Thanks for your feedback!

WAGONER:
I think you make some valid points. But as of right now, I don't see it.

Jim L, Annapolis, MD

Nick - Thx for all the tuff work keeping us loyal fans informed - hats off!! Do you see the Rams drafting or signing via free agency a change-of-pace back to spell my man SJ39 and keep him fresh or will they hang on to Cadillac, who can be effective but inury prone??

WAGONER:
I believe they'll find another back either through the draft or free agency.

Pam , Boise

Which players on the Rams are we expecting to resign or lose to free agency. we cannot afford to lose any impact player as it is! Thank you and you have a nice day!

WAGONER:
No major impact players eligible for free agency aside from Lloyd. One guy that's worth hanging on to who played a lot and has been a solid contributor is LB Chris Chamberlain.

Paul Hart, Medford, Oregon

Hi again Nick. I have a non draft question. What are the details of this London Home games news? I can't seem to locate any serious details of this news. What are the Rams trying to lock up for London?

WAGONER:
Not sure what you mean. The Rams are playing three "home" games in London in the next three years. Those games will take place at Wembley Stadium.

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada

Hey Nick, assuming we stay put at number 2 how would you feel about this scenario? Round 1- Justin Blackmon, Round 2- OLB Zach Brown(UNC), Round 3- DT Mike Martin(Michigan). I think that would cover our top weaknesses WR, OLB, and DT. Thoughts? Changes?

WAGONER:
Three very impressive players though I doubt Martin lasts that long.

Paul , Tucson

Hey NIck, Any players hanging out at rams park these days

WAGONER:
See a few guys here and there, mostly guys that are doing rehab work. More of them will be around starting next month though the offseason program doesn't begin officially until April.

mike, montreal

when will the new nike jerseys be unveiled, will there be a whole thing or will it fly under the radear, also have you seen them? if so, how do they look, any chance they will look like those sweet thowbacks?

WAGONER:
Haven't seen them yet. Not sure on when they'll be revealed. I don't expect anything too drastic.

Dylan, Iowa

Nick do you expect the signing of Jovan Olafioye to have an impact on who we draft in the first round on draft day?

WAGONER:
No.

john brose, yorba linda

thank you.thank you for your vast knowledge and insight of the GAME,would you consider being an scout or moving into the front office

WAGONER:
Haha, while I greatly appreciate the compliment, I don't consider myself qualified for that type of job. I'd love to learn it and I've often thought it'd be great to be a "scout for a year" and write a book about it but not sure I'd ever want to move over there permanently. Or is this your way of telling me that you guys are tired of me and want to chat with someone else? Haha, I'd completely understand that, too!

Dave, Pearland Texas
Hey Nick, Although I am VERY pleased with Robert Quinn as our first pick, I also liked both JJ Watt and Brooks Reed both have done very well here in Houston. I remenber reading last year that some scouts felt Quinn had motivational issues at times, I certainly didn't see that last year. It sounds as if Jeff Fisher will be a little more flexible with player that might have some excess baggage. Although obviously neither is desirable would you prefer to draft a player with character issues, or a player with motivational issues know for taking plays off? Thanks!

WAGONER:
Hmmm, that's an interesting and difficult question. I do believe that a player can't "learn" to be motivated and play hard. You either have that or you don't. On the other hand, character problems can lead to much bigger issues than taking a play or two off. If you're forcing me to choose, I suppose I'd take the guy who needs someone to light a fire under him. A guy who takes a few plays off isn't helping the team that much but he's not as much of a detriment to the team as a whole as a guy who is just a bad guy.

Joolz, Cardiff, Wales, UK

Nick - seeing as you've never been over to this side of the pond, what do you think to the idea of US and UK fans getting together before and after the game in London? Something to organise, maybe?

WAGONER:
As we move along this summer, I'll be sure to let you all know things that are being planned by the marketing team here. I'm sure they will have some stuff going on. Would love to meet up with some of the fans across the pond some night.

Cody, Ca
Hey nick how you doing buddy. Things must be looking and feeling different in the building huh? well my question is how much cap room do the rams have to fiddle around with this upcoming FA? with guys like cortland finnigan, vincent jackson, and brondon lloyd toping the FA lists. those are all guys the rams could garb. But can they afford any of them? i'm sure some guys will be getting cut and pay cuts but still how much do they have to fiddle around with?

WAGONER:
As of right now, somewhere between $11-13 million. But there are some tweaks that can be made and probably will be made to get that number closer to 18-20.

old man, olney

do oc/dc pick their underling coaches? would Williams bring back a class act like Joe Vitt?

WAGONER:
Some do, some don't. You'll see guys on both staffs with experience with Schottenheimer and Williams. As much as I'd love to see Jersey Joe Vitt back here - one of my favorite people in football - he's not leaving New Orleans. He's the assistant head coach there, too. To leave, he'd have to be promoted which means he'd have to get a coordinator or head coaching title.

Michael, Providence, RI

Hi Nick. Thanks for taking our questions. How is the coaching staff filling out. I know that some have mentioned certain positions being filled (ex offensive line coach), but there has not been an official announcement. I know McGinnis was not hired to be a linebacker coach, but will he have a hand with that?

WAGONER:
Yes, McGinnis will be involved with linebackers but I expect Gregg Williams' son to be the official linebackers coach. The staff is nearly full. I'd expect an official announcement sometime next week with the rest of the staff being announced.

Louie Bernal Jr, Rialto Ca.

rams still need a QB coach how about Kurt Warner this is a man who knows how to learn a new system and who could help sam bradford learn it and also help him learn the different def. and teach sam to get ried of the ball quicker

WAGONER:
Don't think that's something Kurt wants to do right now.

Robert Czap, Cali

Free agency is loaded will the rams look into getting Vincent Jackson this year or maybe even Tyvon Branch those would some good additions. Red Bryant too.

WAGONER:
If Jackson hits the market, I'd expect the Rams to at least kick the tires.

Scott, Los Angeles

Hello Nick, good afternoon. If the offensive line had been healthy all year, would you have assessed it as an area of strenght, or one that needs ungrades. I felt it was hard to get a true read on the original starters for a number of reasons. thanks for taking our questions.

WAGONER:
That's the thing, Scott, it's hard to call it a strength or weakness without knowing how it would have performed had it been in place all year. I do think at the time Saffold got hurt that things were starting to come together a bit. But who knows how it would have played out.

Paul, Tucson

Nick, Have any of the coaches started watching film and evaluating players yet?

WAGONER:
Yep, they've been at it for a while now.

steferfootball

Starter
zn said:
tim, crocker,mo

are the rams still interested in coming to rolla for traing camp or has that been shelved i believe the rams are missing a opportunity to broaden its fan base within mid missouri
WAGONER:
I think training camp will be here in St. Louis for the forseeable future.

That would be about 3 miles away from my house if they had camp in Rolla....and about a quarter mile away from my work....If I go upstairs at work I can see the fields they would play on.

Apparently it was very close to happening last year - however the lockout made it more difficult to do.