Wagoner Mailbag: Coples should have chance to reach potential with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Quinton Coples should have chance to reach potential with Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ould-have-chance-to-reach-potential-with-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams, and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long term, things have settled down enough for us to answer a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter (@nwagoner), and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

Victor Aldaco ‎@VAS039
Q: What are your thoughts on the Coples signing and the Ram's Scheme? Do you see him thriving or just as depth/rotation?

@nwagoner: The first thing I thought of when the Rams signed Quinton Coples on Wednesday was that this would give him an opportunity to play defensive end in a 4-3 defense on a regular basis. Coples had been asked to stand up as a linebacker for most of his first four years in the NFL but he weighs somewhere between 280 and 290 pounds. While he's an excellent athlete, it seems that type of size is better utilized with his hand in the dirt. With all of that said, Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is one of the best when it comes to adapting to his players rather than having them adapt to him. He'll likely come up with creative ways to use Coples and get him in the rotation with the rest of the team's pass-rushers. One of the other benefits of this move is that it should allow the Rams to give defensive end William Hayes a breather. Hayes is a starter but he's at his best when he's not necessarily playing starter's snaps. We'll see if the Rams can help Coples reach his potential, but this seems like a better fit for him than the Jets did when they drafted him in the first round in 2012.

Keiyon Monroe ‎@ramsfanatic81
Q: Chris Collinsworth has us jumping to number one to get Carson. How realistic is this and what would we have to give up?

@nwagoner: Well, for starters, it would seem that Tennessee is willing to auction off the top pick. While the Titans could absolutely use offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, they also could use help at a variety of other positions and adding some more premium picks would be a good move for them to add around talented young quarterback Marcus Mariota. But it seems pretty far-fetched that the Rams would be the team to make such a move if it were to happen. For starters, while Carson Wentz is a good prospect and has all the tools, I'm not sure he's viewed in the light of other top quarterbacks in the past. There's a lot of risk there for a guy who would be expensive. Likewise, the Rams would have to move all the way from No. 15 to the top spot to get him. That's a long, long way to go in terms of picks. The Rams got three first-round picks and a second-round choice from Washington to move down four spots. While Robert Griffin III was more highly coveted than Wentz is right now, that's still an 11-spot difference in terms of how much further the Rams would have to move. I never say never to anything in this crazy league but this one doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for the Rams. Keep in mind, they have plenty of other needs beyond quarterback as well.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Coples will have a chance to play to his strengths which will make him more productive.While not a slashy move by the Rams this move could be very beneficial.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm looking for the Rams to do something "BIG" in the Draft, But I don't think moving up to #1 is it! That's just too expensive! In my mind! But "Who know what Evil Lerks in the hearts of Man!" or "Snisher!!:rolllaugh:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Looking at how they are acting in FA this yr, tells us that they are intent on keeping with the "build/reload thru the draft" philosophy. So giving up what it would take to move up into the top 5 ... yet alone the #1 spot, just seems HIGHLY unlikely. They will either pick at 15 or move down ... unless someone they highly covet is still there a couple picks before them ... then they might go up to get 'em.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I'm looking for the Rams to do something "BIG" in the Draft, But I don't think moving up to #1 is it! That's just too expensive! In my mind! But "Who know what Evil Lerks in the hearts of Man!" or "Snisher!!:rolllaugh:

Dude! You're doing it again!!! Showing your age.

Only the Shadow knows!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think Coples will fit great, he will take Sims spot as back up end and it will allow him to study under 2 of the best defensive players in the league (99 and 94), he can be a Quinn like player with his long arms and quickness. Coach fish tends to bring out the best in players who have had issues on and off the field and this will be just another example.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dude! You're doing it again!!! Showing your age.

Only the Shadow knows!
:rolllaugh:I wondered how many people would catch that!!:rolllaugh:My Dad was a Radio announcer in the mid 1940's and he used to use that "Evil " Quote a lot!!:D Fond memories! Talking of 'Old' where he alive now he'd be 115 yrs old!