Wagoner/JT Tweets: Barrett Jones Works with 1's at OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Thomas @jthom1

As friend Tony Softli points out, veteran RG Davin Joseph is not a nice person on the football field.

Chiefs release former Rams draft pick Rokevious Watkins, who was on KC's non-football injury list.

Pass rush got in Bradford's legs once during 7-on-7s _ on a deep completion _ to Tavon Austin. Bradford lost his balance but nothing major.

For 2nd consecutive day Rams dodged rain, getting full practice in outdoors. Cloud cover and a light wind made upper 90 temps more bearable.

Tony Softli @SoftliSTL

I'm looking forward to the 1/1 drills with OL vs. DL in pads. Standouts thus far Def: Donald, Quinn, Long, Sam. Off: Saffold, Joseph

Is Rams WR Chris Givens a lost man in the receiver rotation?? With Bradford back this vertical threat is ready 2 roll

Rams will have their first padded practice on Monday, which is scheduled as a Special Teams practice.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anyone thinks that we'll be able to hide one of our D-line prospects on the PS they're smoking stuff they should be sharing with me. There's a good chance that any D-line player we think is good enough to be put on our PS could either be a starter or decent backup for some other teams in the league. That's as of right now, before any injuries hit the D-lines of other teams. Wave goodbye to any D-line player who doesn't make our 53. :(

Which is why I sort of expect a trade of a DL before final cut down. Other teams know how deep the Rams are there, and the Rams know they aren't going to be able to keep all of them. Better to get a future pick, even a low one, than just lose a player outright.

I'm thinking Sims might be in danger of being traded. He's a quality player, but barring injury he will never be more than #4 on the Rams' DE list. If he hasn't peaked, he's close to it. If younger, cheaper players look useful with a good chance of improving to better than him, better to get value for Sims now. That is dependent on TC performances, of course.

Alternatively, if Sam keeps looking as good as he did the first two days but the Rams decide he just can't make the team, wouldn't it be great if the Rams got a higher pick for him? Even a regular 7th would be higher than a late comp pick, after all.

Of course, some of this is that I'm so used to the Rams having extra picks in the draft - I want them to continue that somehow. ;)

Alan

Legend
Akrasian not wanting to come away empty:
Which is why I sort of expect a trade of a DL before final cut down. Other teams know how deep the Rams are there, and the Rams know they aren't going to be able to keep all of them. Better to get a future pick, even a low one, than just lose a player outright.

I'm thinking Sims might be in danger of being traded. He's a quality player, but barring injury he will never be more than #4 on the Rams' DE list. If he hasn't peaked, he's close to it. If younger, cheaper players look useful with a good chance of improving to better than him, better to get value for Sims now. That is dependent on TC performances, of course.

Alternatively, if Sam keeps looking as good as he did the first two days but the Rams decide he just can't make the team, wouldn't it be great if the Rams got a higher pick for him? Even a regular 7th would be higher than a late comp pick, after all.

Of course, some of this is that I'm so used to the Rams having extra picks in the draft - I want them to continue that somehow. ;)
A 7th round pick is probably all we could get but an extra 7th is OK with me. (y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is it really wise to base any linemans play, on anything besides movement/quickness, as good without pads? That is, how can you really tell anything about the big uglies without pads on? Without hitting?
And to label Scott Wells as anything more than a disappointment after his signing with the Rams is not being honest. this may be his 3rd straight camp that he's reported late/didn't play at the beginning. Either he hates to practice and is lazy, or he is always rehabilitating something. He is a shell of his former All-Pro self. I hope that Barrett Jones can end the nightmare that is Scott Wells and wrench the starting job from him. Barnes should/could be a great backup...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I hope that Barrett Jones can end the nightmare that is Scott Wells and wrench the starting job from him. Barnes should/could be a great backup...

IMO, that would be the worst thing they could do. They need to get one more year out of him. With Robinson lining up at LG, it will benefit him greatly to have both Long and Wells along side.

And without having to worry about picking up the garbage that usually got by C. Williams/S. Smith last year, having the two horses (Saffold and Robinson), he can focus on getting to the second level, which he excels at.

I really don't want to go into this season with a ROOKIE starting at LG, and what amounts to a ROOKIE starting at Center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If we are real lucky Rams might go into this season absent any Rookies starting on this OL.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with this head scratcher:
If we are real lucky Rams might go into this season absent any Rookies starting on this OL.
Brain fart or are you thinking Robinson is going to be a bench warmer? :eek:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brain fart or are you thinking Robinson is going to be a bench warmer? :eek:

Nope ......if the veteran of many pro bowls ORG Davin Joseph returns to previous 2012 injury form (thus far very early that looks very possible) do you start a rookie Greg Robinson @ OLG over a Rodger Saffold & Davin Joseph? or do you use this good luck to bring Robinson up as a top reserve & use the time to polish up this raw but extremely talented massive OL 'er for future stardom as a starter. This extra time could be vital for GR.

If you recall we lost one of our starting OT's in the first pre season game in 2013 and then we lost one of our starting OT's in the first quarter in the 2nd game in 2013 too. By the end of the 2013 season the Rams lost both starting OT's to injury.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with a scenario:
Nope ......if the veteran of many pro bowls ORG Davin Joseph returns to previous 2012 injury form (thus far very early that looks very possible) do you start a rookie Greg Robinson @ OLG over a Rodger Saffold & Davin Joseph? or do you use this good luck to bring Robinson up as a top reserve & use the time to polish up this raw but extremely talented massive OL 'er for future stardom as a starter. This extra time could be vital for GR.

If you recall we lost one of our starting OT's in the first pre season game in 2013 and then we lost one of our starting OT's in the first quarter in the 2nd game in 2013 too. By the end of the 2013 season the Rams lost both starting OT's to injury.
That's certainly one way to look at it and I see some benefits but I like a different option.

"do you start a rookie Greg Robinson @ OLG over a Rodger Saffold & Davin Joseph?" First of all, I don't see Saffold as an option at LG except in emergency. RG will be his home. Secondly, yes I would. You talk about Robinson using that "bench time" to polish up his skills. While that's one way to do it, I think it's by far the least efficient. Playing time would be the best option IMO. Practice is never a substitute for actual in game training.

"By the end of the 2013 season the Rams lost both starting OT's to injury."
This part is even easier for me when I think about it. Who's more likely to get injured, a 31 year old player or a young stud? In what direction do Joseph's chances of injury go the longer he goes into the season? I do think that the ramifications of an injury to either of them is much worse in Robinson's case because if he goes down we have no one to play tackle if Long also goes down. However, I think the reduced chances of injury for Robinson outweighs the risk in that scenario. I'd much rather have Joseph in reserve.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Gotta disagree about Sims, Akrasian.

As you said, he's a quality DL. And those are valuable indeed.

He's a known quantity with years of NFL experience, yet still in his prime.

His affordable contract has already been extended, so no worries there, either.

He can play inside or outside as the situation dictates, another very valuable thing.

Good teammate with never a whiff of off field issues.

I would keep him over Michael Sam (unless MS simply blows the doors off in camp and preseason, of course).

And I certainly wouldn't even think about giving all that up for a future 7th round pick that has less than a 10% probability of success.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta disagree about Sims, Akrasian.

As you said, he's a quality DL. And those are valuable indeed.

He's a known quantity with years of NFL experience, yet still in his prime.

His affordable contract has already been extended, so no worries there, either.

He can play inside or outside as the situation dictates, another very valuable thing.

Good teammate with never a whiff of off field issues.

I would keep him over Michael Sam (unless MS simply blows the doors off in camp and preseason, of course).

And I certainly wouldn't even think about giving all that up for a future 7th round pick that has less than a 10% probability of success.

Well, the 7th round comment was for Sam, if he continues to do well but won't make the team - since he won't make it to the PS in that scenario.

But yes, Sims is a quality player - but I'm assuming that enough dl continue looking good that the Rams won't be able to keep them all. In that scenario yes, the Rams may consider getting value for the 28 year old who is 4th on the depth chart for DEs, rather than lose a rookie they like.

Again, it is assuming that they like the rookies, and that there is a decent trade offer for Sims. Oh, and no injuries to the DL during TC of course.