Wagoner: Exploring Rams options to replace Rodney McLeod at free safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...tions-to-replace-rodney-mcleod-at-free-safety

Exploring Rams options to replace Rodney McLeod at free safety
May 19, 2016
Nick Wagoner/ESPN Staff Writer

The NFL draft is over. Free agency is over. We are now in the clear, with nothing really big planned until, you know, football actually begins. For the Los Angeles Rams, it's a chance to come up for air after one of the most eventful offseasons in league history.

Still, there are plenty of questions facing this team as we trudge toward the summer and the wait for training camp to start.

One could easily make the argument that this is the biggest question on the Rams' roster right now. When they lost cornerback Janoris Jenkins, they at least had E.J. Gaines in the wings to step in (not that Gaines is the talent Jenkins is). But when Rodney McLeod departed for Philadelphia, the Rams didn't really have an obvious solution on the roster to take McLeod's place.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ite31k5OR_w

So here's where we stand a little more than a week before the Rams begin organized team activities on May 31. The in-house options are Maurice Alexander, Christian Bryant, Cody Davis and, possibly, Lamarcus Joyner though I don't get the impression the Rams are in a hurry to move him off of his nickel corner spot. They've also talked to veterans Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson, though neither has signed a deal yet.

Goldson profiles as more of a free safety than Whitner, but the Rams think Whitner could do the job if need be. I still tend to think the Rams will add one of those two vets but if I had to guess -- and it's just a guess -- the early favorite right now is Alexander. While he looks like more of a strong safety, the Rams could do some things schematically so he doesn't have to play alone on the back end as much as McLeod did.

Bryant looks like the sleeper to keep an eye on after slowly working his way onto the roster last year. He's actually followed a similar path to McLeod (so has Davis), though it's taken longer for Bryant to get where he is. In reality, though, there's no definitive answer at the moment. We'll get a better idea of how they view things when organized team activities begin, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is something they let play out through training camp.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'd love to roll the dice on either Alexander, Bryant or Davis to be the man back deep (In that order) rather than sign one of these guys. I just think with competition, someone will step up and do well. Keep Joyner in the slot, and either Sensabaugh or preferably E.J. Gaines take the outside, with the other guy or Roberson filling out depth.

These coaches know what we have here. Some of these guys are 2-3 years in our system. It is time for them to step up. I have confidence we will be strong in the backfield.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd love to roll the dice on either Alexander, Bryant or Davis to be the man back deep (In that order) rather than sign one of these guys. I just think with competition, someone will step up and do well. Keep Joyner in the slot, and either Sensabaugh or preferably E.J. Gaines take the outside, with the other guy or Roberson filling out depth.

These coaches know what we have here. Some of these guys are 2-3 years in our system. It is time for them to step up. I have confidence we will be strong in the backfield.
This is one of the reasons OTA's and Pre-Season are going to be such Fun to watch!!:D

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

My concern with Alexander is his whether he has the ability to set or get the DBs lined up. A college LB who is now put in a position to make the back end defensive alignment calls. I am really uncomfortable with this. I, personally will/would be more comfortable with Bryant or Davis in that order.