wagoner chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick's Mailbag

Tuesday, August 6.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/1684?a_id=2

Mike, Canada
1:35 PM ET
Hey Nick, Will Zuerline be kicking off as well? Seems to me with his leg , it will be a touchback almost everytime. Thats a great weapon for us because our coverage teams have not been great the last few years. and our defense should have to defend as many short fields. I wonder if that was part of the thought process when we drafted him.

WAGONER: Yes, Zuerlein will handle kickoffs as well and yes, he will have his share of touchbacks, of that I have no doubt. But also remember, with a leg as talented as his, you can do some directional things combined with hang time to pin teams inside the 20 so there will be some of that as well, probably depending on the returner.

Brett, Spokane, WA
1:36 PM ET
Hi Nick. When will the depth chart be released?

WAGONER: There will be an unofficial depth chart coming this week before the first preseason game.

Louis-Charles, Québec
1:37 PM ET
I'm a bit concerned with the o-line. I keep reading that they are beaten badly by the d-line in practice? Will the o-line be ok? or is it only because the d-line is so strong that the o-line can't block them?

WAGONER: It's kind of a difficult situation because it's hard to tell sometimes if the OL is struggling or if the DL is just that good. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I think it's fair to be concerned with the OL, especially with Wells out, the uncertainty at LG and the OTs still coming back from injury. I will say the OL has looked better the last couple of practices, especially in the one on one pass rush drills. And they have looked really good in run drills at times as well. Probably too soon to hit the panic button either way but let's see how they do in the first preseason game and go from there.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
1:39 PM ET
Has any free agents came into camp for a look and do you think the Rams might have a trade up there sleeve before the season starts. If so what position? Tks.

WAGONER: I believe that a veteran punter could get a look see but nothing imminent. I wouldn't be stunned if there was a move made somewhere down the line after they actually play some preseason games. A guard or a backup quarterback could also be in play.

Ken , Anaheim
1:41 PM ET
Nick, Your mailbag says the 6TH, and I see no comments. Did you mean to write the 7TH and made a mistake or did we blow it?

WAGONER: Nope, my mistake. I apologize for that. For future reference, the chat is always set for Tuesdays at 12:30. If it's at another time, I'll make it a point to announce it specifically the previous week.

Sean, Oklahoma
1:42 PM ET
When do single game tickets go on sale?

WAGONER: Aug. 10, which is Friday.

Mark, Los Angeles
1:44 PM ET
Last questions, what is up with JL55 not even making the top 100 players? Wasn't he in the top 10 for tackels? I think James is the best Rams defender out of the starters. Given a choice, I take JL55 over Howie's boy. How's Courtland looking?

WAGONER: It's voted on by the players so much of that voting is skewed by personal relationships and name value. My guess is if James plays well again, gets a nice extension and the Rams improve, he cracks the list next year. Finnegan looks great. Everything with him is as advertised.

Neil G., La Puente, Ca
1:45 PM ET
Hi Nick, With the Rams training camp in session, have you had any time to check out our competition's training camp. I've read that the 49ers aren't too happy with their offense. What are your thoughts of the Rams as far as executing the offense and defense compared with the other teams in our division. Go Rams!

WAGONER: I haven't had much time to do anything else, let alone follow other camps. I can't make any comparisons for you, sorry.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
1:46 PM ET
Nick is it early to get your gut feeling how the WR's are going to shack out. It seems Fish is really on top of the player's conditioning during this camp have you ever seen a coach that intune in the past? Tks

WAGONER: Yes, too early. Let's play some preseason games and see who shines when the lights come on. The receivers have been doing a lot of rotating, hard to get a read right now.

Mark, Los Angeles
1:47 PM ET
Nick, it's football time! How many series will Sam get against the Colts? With a new system I would like to see him get two quarters of game time.

WAGONER: Don't know that yet but I don't think it would be a shock if he went the whole first half. Traditionally, though, the starters play the most in games two and three of the preseason so it might be a bit less.

Ruben, Highland, Ca
1:48 PM ET
Nick, Thanks for taking my question. At WR, it seems 4 spots are taken, Amendola, Quick, Salas & Givens. That leaves Gibson, Smith, Pettis & DA for 2 spots. Do you think Fisher would take the veteran, ie. Gibson/Smith over Pettis or surprise kid WR, if they were just a little better or do you think, since this is a rebuild, they would have to be significantly better?

WAGONER: I think they'll take the best players, period. Gibson is having another good camp and seems to be in good shape right now. It's entirely possible that he and Smith could be the other two in your scenario, though we have no idea how they'd be aligned 1-6 in that case. We'll have a better handle after some preseason games.

Jim , St. Louis
1:49 PM ET
Nick, I went to practice yesterday and the scrimmage Saturday. I'm very concerned by the WR corps. We need playmakers and all I see is Brandon Gibson making a few catches. We'll have the same problems as last year with teams stacking the line with 8 stopping Steven Jackson. Your thoughts.

WAGONER: It's a fair question to ask. Until the group proves it can consistently provide a threat outside the hashes in games, teams will continue to stack the box. It's been a few years since the Rams have had anyone who can do that so seeing will be believing.

Ken, Anaheim
1:51 PM ET
Hi Nick, How do you think the Rams feel about their OTs, early I know but do see improvement in Smiths' technique. Do you think they might be open for a trade to improve or are we pretty much set?

WAGONER: Barring a serious injury, Saffold and Smith will get every opportunity to hold down those spots. The coaching staff likes them and believes it can get the most out of them.

Mark, Los Angeles
1:51 PM ET
I just can't help take a shot at the LB support of JL55. Hagan looks old, overweight, and slow. Does he even make the team? Dunbar, while having some spunk, looks like a safety. I know Fisher downplays the LB position saying he will only have two on the field 80% of the time, but the other guy next to JL55, needs to be able to play. What say you Nick?

WAGONER: No offense, Mark, but where are you getting that from? Haggan is 32, yes but he's certainly not overweight. Speed isn't his forte but he's a SAM backer whose top priority will be to stop the run. As for Dunbar, he's been one of this camp's most pleasant surprises so far. He still has to show he can do it in games but he's tough, physical, athletic and has good instincts. People I trust who have been around this team for awhile think he'll be the best WIL this team has had since Pisa Tinoisamoa.

MarkStevens7777, Norway
1:54 PM ET
Any word on Darrell Scott? He was starting to look really impressive by the end of last season, and even Snead mentioned him in touting the new DL. Thought this might be a breakout year for him, especially as he seems to be just the type of run-stuffing DT Fisher would like. Has Conrath passed him by? Is Scott fading instead of blossoming?

WAGONER: Scott is working with the backup rotation right now and it would seem he's behind Conrath and Laws for a backup spot. It's definitely time for Scott to put up if he's going to stick. Preseason games will be important for him.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
1:55 PM ET
It is great to see this new ownershipe keep our quality players such as Long that the Rams have developed. Hopefully James before to long. Do you see the difference in this group more so than in the past?

WAGONER: Well, I don't know about a huge difference in the approach to signing those guys. I mean, it's kind of a no brainer to keep them but I will say this: there's definitely a more proactive approach and these guys are getting locked up long before they can hit the market. The other part of it is, how many guys that the Rams have drafted in the past 10 years or so have been worth giving big dollar extensions to? This is my ninth season covering this team. In that time, the only big money deals for guys drafted in that time by the Rams have gone to Steven Jackson and Ron Bartell. That's it. Marc Bulger and Orlando Pace also got big money extensions but both were with the team before my arrival. Point is, it's a good thing the Rams have been able to pick guys they want to keep for the long haul. Hopefully that continues.

Don Riley , New Jersey
1:57 PM ET
Hi Nick, non-football question. About the Olympics. I'm really sick of watching BEACH VOLLEYBALL for three hours to wait until some real sports come on. Where do they play this Beach Volleyball ? They don't play it in Jersey.....maybe some Hobos play it down at Seaside or Asbury Park. At the Seashore.!!................That's some California Kids playtime. That's no sport. Do you think they should be playing that in the Olympics ? Where do they get the "rocks" to put that in the Olympics ?

WAGONER: Well, this is a discussion that could spark a lot of debate but if you want to get into what qualifies as a sport, at least volleyball is one. Who cares where it's played? I think there's about three or four other "sports" in the Olympics with less credibility than beach volleyball, ya know?

Jim, St. Louis
1:59 PM ET
Nick, Follow up to my WR question. Why can't this team draft and develop difference makers at this position? It always seems we come into the season with #3 or #4 type guys. Do you honestly see a potential #1 or #2 on the roster now? Thanks.

WAGONER: Yes, I do. Give this coaching staff (WR coach Sherman is an EXCELLENT football coach) some time with these guys. Brian Quick absolutely has the upside of an eventual No. 1 WR. Chris Givens has the upside of a great complement to Quick and could be a No. 2. Part of drafting and developing is you have to be patient for the developing part.

Ryan Williams, Youngstown, Ohio
2:00 PM ET
With all the line problem this is a serious question but is there a way you could see us taking 8 OL and taking an extra blocking TE to protect Sam

WAGONER: You mean on the final 53? I absolutely expect them to keep 8 OL and wouldn't be blown away if it was 9. And I've believed all along they'll keep 4 TEs, at least two of which have strong blocking attributes.

Tommy, Staten Island
2:01 PM ET
How bad is Saffolds groin and when are him and Wells expected to be back? Is Fletcher and Murphy back to 100% yet??? who is this other Kicker that had a good day on sun or mon i think? is there actually a competition no way there goin to carry to kickers right? I dont really understand the point of him being there kickin can you also shed some light on that for us please Nick? Thank You

WAGONER: Saffold is fine. He'll be back soon enough. Wells is making progress. Fisher said yesterday he expects Wells back in time for a preseason game somewhere along the way. We'll see when that happens. No, they won't carry two kickers. Garrett Lindholm is the other kicker. He's pretty good actually but the job will go to Zuerlein barring some massive missteps. It makes plenty of sense to carry two kickers in the preseason, especially with a 90-man roster. Kickers get tired legs just like anyone else. Why not have someone else around to take some of the reps and keep your starter fresh for the season?

2:03 PM ET
A week ago I posted a question about if both Smith and Amendola were to perform exceptional do you see us bring back the two. I have heard good things about the two so far in the camp. This brings about another question what if Gibson performs up to expectation with all three being FA in 2013 we would be in a dilemma

WAGONER: I think that's a dilemma the Rams would be thrilled to have because it would mean all three played at a very high level. Let's sort out this season first, shall we?

Ramprint, Medford, Oregon
2:04 PM ET
Het Nick, I must say my biggest concern this year in the O-Line & DT position. There has been some debate on who was the biggest FA signing. I believe it is between two guys. Langford and Wells. With that in mind. When is Wells coming in and how does Langford look in pads?

WAGONER: See earlier on Wells. Langford looks good in pads. He's going to be a difference maker against the run and he does a nice job of pushing the pocket. Major upgrade.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
2:04 PM ET
Hi Nick thanks for the daily updates really helps us out of town fans stay in touch keep up the good work. Who is jumping out at you now that the pads are on. Is Brockers the force he is supposed to be? tks

WAGONER: I've been really impressed with Brockers in the first few padded practices. You can see the strength and raw power, especially against the run. But he's showed some natural pass rush skills as well. Those will have to be nurtured as we go along but the ability is all there. This kid has major, major potential.

2:06 PM ET
With those 2 Blocking TE I really beieve that our 4 is gonna be UCLA guy, Peterson, Kendricks and maybe Ho but how is childress looking so far could he make a run for a spot?

WAGONER: It's early to make a prediction on that stuff but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Harkey was one of the guys. He's a good blocker and has even had a couple of good moments catching it. Childers hasn't flashed as much in this camp as he did in the spring. I still think Mulligan has a strong chance to land one of those jobs, too. Hooman does look good and gives you versatility. Peterson and Harkey would both be practice squad eligible, for what it's worth.

MarkStevens7777, Norway
2:07 PM ET
Any word on Deangelo Peterson? Hoping the field is not too crowded with TEs for some to develop, stand out. He seems to me a potentially great weapon for a ball-control offense, maybe even playing some in the slot a la Hernandez in NE. A better blocker than any WR, but swift enough to be a matchup problem for LBs. Now that the pads are on, any clarity taking shape with the young TEs? How is Kendricks doing---fulfilling Schott's hopes, or not so far?

WAGONER: There's no doubting his athletic ability but he hasn't necessarily stood out yet. He could when we get to the games, though, Fisher indicated the other day that he's excited to evaluate that position from the preseason contests.

Mark, New York
2:08 PM ET
With all the UDFA we brought in for the OL i feel a bit disappointed that none has stood out. Is there a feeling that Watkins really could secure that LG spot are is there a feeling we will be drafting coupe OL next year because it seems as if some play at the scrimmage Sam would have been sacked.

WAGONER: Let's not get ahead of ourselves on trying to project what's going to happen in next year's draft. Still haven't even played a preseason game yet. I do think Watkins has rebounded well after a disappointing (non) start to camp. He's got potential to be a big time mauler in the run game. That could help him but it could also mean he's more suited to the right side.

Michael, Providence, RI
2:09 PM ET
Hi Nick thanks for taking our questions. I actually have two questions. The first has nothing to do with the Rams. I know you're a Mizzou grad (as am I), so first what do you think about this move to the SEC? I'm tired of hearing national pundits talk about Mizzou like they played pop warner for the past ten years. As far as the Rams, I was wondering about what you think about Sam Bradford? I've been reading reports and most seem to indicate that on short and medium routes he looks great, but on long routes he lacks accuracy. Is this something you've observed?

WAGONER: 1. I'm fired up for the SEC. And I agree with you wholeheartedly. Is it going to be tough? Yes. Is it going to be tougher than the Big 12? Yes. But it's not like Mizzou was playing JV and is moving up to varsity. There are plenty of teams on the SEC schedule they CAN beat, it's just a matter of doing it. And I hope they do so that the people who insist SEC football is unmatched can see there is good football being played elsewhere. That said, I'm expecting something like 5-3 in conference, maybe 4-4. 2. It does seem that Sam has struggled to connect on the deep ball so far in camp. It should be noted that they haven't thrown a lot of deep balls but it would seem that some of it is lack of timing with the wideouts and some of it is just having much better corners out there. Still, I do think that's an area the Rams, not just Sam but all the QBs and all the WRs can improve.

Brad, FL
2:13 PM ET
I haven't heard much about some of the undrafted Free Agents yet. How are they doing? Specifically Matt Daniels, Alex Hoffman-Ellis, & Sammy Brown. I believe Daniels and Hoff-Ellis could develop into quaity starters. Also how has Joe Long looked now that pads are on?

WAGONER: Daniels and Brown have had some moments but nothing to stand out too much yet. Hoffman-Ellis has had a few more standout moments. He could definitely be a sleeper. He's a feisty guy who isn't afraid to mix it up and has even showed some solid coverage skills. Keep an eye on him in the preseason games. Long has had his ups and downs but I did think he had a nice day in one on one pass rush drills at the fan fest.

Mike, Canada
2:14 PM ET
Hey Nick, Hows Kendriks doing in camp? Where do you think he is confidence wise? He is definitely athletic enough. has to catch the ball though.

WAGONER: He's had some rough patches in camp but seemed to be bouncing back before this latest hamstring tightness. I think he'll be fine but he needs some good preseason performances like last year to get that confidence soaring again.

Brad, FL
2:15 PM ET
with the LG spot up for grabs, why haven't the Rams brought in Vernon Carey? I don't think he's been picked up, does he have some type of issue? Also with SJax and Pead seemingly taking the 1-2 spots, shouldn't the Rams consider Ryan Grant or Cedrick benson for the #3 spot? Both have had some very good seasons & seem like they'd be extremely capable in case if injury.

WAGONER: I think the Rams want to see what they have at that spot before grabbing anybody else. I don't think the Rams have much interest in an older veteran for that third RB spot. You have to be able to play special teams to have that job and you're going to get a lot more out of someone like Daryl Richardson in that role than someone like Cedric Benson.

MarkStevens7777, Norway
2:16 PM ET
Nick, have to say you do a great job of making us feel connected. Don't see anyone else like you on other team sites doing this for fans. Much appreciated. From NFL.com: "Receiver Brian Quick was talked up all offseason in St. Louis as a starter. It sounds like he's running behind fellow rookie Chris Givens and a number of other Rams wideouts, like Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, and Steve Smith, thus far in camp. We're not sure why everyone expected Quick to make such a smooth transition from Appalachian State." You get an up close and personal look: what do you think? I think we have enough solid ball-control receivers to bring the rookies along gradually, and I hope they do not feel the need to hurry them. Again, what do you think?

WAGONER: I don't disagree with that sentiment but I'd also add in that it's awfull early to be making a sweeping judgment indicating he can't help this team this year. I've been saying in this very chat since the day the Rams drafted Quick that there will be a learning curve, especially running NFL routes, for him. It's not fair to expect 100 catches, 10 TDs and 1,400 yards for him as a rookie. Doesn't mean he won't start or won't contribute before the year is out.

Jim L., Granite City
2:18 PM ET
Nick, I have grave concerns about the offense for the Rams this year. It looks like a repeat of last year with a lack of playmaking skill on the outside ready contribute to some points. Defenses will have everyone up in the box to stop Steven since he's about it. When Brandon Gibson is you're #1 wr on this team, then they are in severe trouble. Thanks.

WAGONER: Again, taking the wait and see approach makes sense.

Ramprint, Medford, Oregon
2:19 PM ET
Thanks for keeping us informed on camp. I have a couple questions. How has Brockers looked with pads? Is he in the correct shape to compete every down? How does OLB Dunbar look on passing plays? My hope is that Dunbar is a big improvement on covering routes on passing plays. The LB'S last year had a very tough time and the mid range pass seemed to be open way to much. Thank you for your insight Nick

WAGONER: See earlier response on Brockers. Dunbar looks solid in all aspects, including pass coverage. He's a good athlete and he's tough as nails. I think people will be surprised at what a good player that young man is.

Jim, California
2:19 PM ET
How is Sam looking in the new offense.

WAGONER: He's having a really solid camp and seems to be getting better in the system by the day. There is a lot of polishing that needs to occur before the opener but he's light years ahead in this offense right now compared to where he was in last year's offense. And that's not just Sam, it's everyone on the offense.

Nick, Philly
2:21 PM ET
What's going on with the scott wells situation? Is he gonna be able to come back healthy and in shape by the opener cause we really need him. Also if he does come back would Robert Turner be the front runner for the LG position? I've heard nothing but good things about him from camp and LG has to be easier than playing Center

WAGONER: Fisher is confident Wells will play in a preseason game and be ready to go for the regular season. I don't think they want to use Turner as the starter at LG. He seems like a really good fit as a swingman on the interior, capable of playing all three inside spots.

Pam, Boise
2:22 PM ET
Hello Nick! Nothing seems to be coming out of camp about the team making great plays or someone looks awesome! (Except for Gibson always plays well in practice but rarely gameday). The news just seems to be regular stuff, is anyone really stepping it up! In years past it was glamious catches, runs, hard hitting, interseptions, etc! Thanks for your time Nick GO RAMS!!

WAGONER: Not really sure what you mean? I highlight a few plays in each practice that are strong in the From the Sidelines blog. Here's the thing - at least with my coverage of camp - I try to write about how things are going for certain players, how they fit in, where they stand, all of that type of stuff without jumping into hyperbole. Remember, this is practice and while these practices have far more value than anything in the spring, it's still practice. Getting into this guy looks good or this guy looks bad or this guy is bound for the Pro Bowl just isn't the right way to cover it because it sets unfair expectations in both direction. Unfair to you as a reader and a fan and unfair to the player himself. Hope you understand.

Terry Pursley, Manchester, Mo.
2:24 PM ET
Please provide your assessment of the to-date performance of Trumaine Johnson. My sense is he is playing well but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

WAGONER: Like any rookie, he's had his ups and downs. He had some really nice moments early in camp, including a great second effort pass breakup of a TD to Chris Givens. He's tapered off a bit but many rookies will do that as they get further into their first camp. Still, he's going to be right in that mix to play in dime packages.

Tommy, NY
2:25 PM ET
hey I was wondering from what you have seen of Quinn last year and this year who does he remind you vs the pass, is he as quick as freeny but better vs the run? Is he not as qucik as Peppers and not as good vs the run, and the last person I would like to compare him to is Pierre Paul ...even if you not 100 percent positive please giv your best educated guess on how he stacks up against those 3 DE's vs the pass and the run, but im more interested in the pass if you only have time for 1 answer....Thank You

WAGONER: I'm not going to put that kind of pressure on Quinn to compare him to Freeney or JPP or Peppers. Those guys are established stars in the league. Quinn is in his second year. I'll say this: in terms of pure, unadulterated athletic ability, Robert Quinn might be pound for pound the best athlete on the team. He has all the potential in the world. If he realizes it, we can someday compare him to the names you mention.

Don Riley , New Jersey
2:27 PM ET
Vernon Carey I've seen him play alot. He's no guard. His best postion is right tackle. He can't play guard. So, in my extremely humble opinion. If he can't play right tackle. His career is done. He played right guard last year and stunk out the park. I mean the guy was a good right tackle (but maybe he's lost it). I think everybody's worried about the Rams Offensive line but they might be better than people think, I think the key is if Wells can produce he'll help the entire situation. I just want to see the guys they have play. I'm a big Saffold fan, I just hope he can stay healthy --- Nick, did Saffold put on weight this year ?

WAGONER: I wrote a big piece on Saffold back in the spring. Yes, he is up to about 325 pounds but he did it the right way. He looks chiseled and is stronger in the upper body.

Tommy , NY
2:28 PM ET
Hi Nick, im just curious I think we will wins more then the 6 games were predicted i said about 7-8 only caz of our tough schedual obvious with more years under our young teams belt we will be improving alot, my only questions is I know were goin to either re-sign or franchise Laurenitis but is there anyone you think we might lose that will be significant, that might set us backwards in some area ....i know fletcer comes up next year i dont think theyll want to hold on to him and that will upset me i really like him do you agree that he will probably want to start somewhere and we will lose him? (if he stays healthy obviously) and can you think of any other situation like that over the next offseason or 2...its a tough ? i know, but thank you

WAGONER: I don't believe there are any huge, significant players up after this season aside from Laurinaitis. As for Fletcher, if he can stay healthy and have a good year, I absolutely think the Rams would move to keep him. It's clear Fisher values corners and you need to have at least three in today's NFL.

Tommy, NY
2:29 PM ET
hi Nick, I hear Illi Mike has been looking really good so far looking better then Kendrics and chance when we are running 1 Te Mike will be on the field and not lance....can you tell us who does what better pleae... thanks nick

WAGONER: Hooman has looked good. I think what you get with Hoomanawanui is a little better inline blocker than Kendricks. Kendricks can detach from the line and move around a bit better. Both are good pass catchers but Kendricks is probably a bit more athletic and Hoomanawanui is probably a bit stronger. Obviously we know the problems Hooman has had staying healthy.

JJ, Brooklyn
2:31 PM ET
Ok now gimme tell me what you think about he corners the top 4 are set finny Jenkins Fletcher Johnson....is there only one spot left? if so I like Murphy better then Gordy do you agree, i think atleast one year the future either Trumaine or murphy can be our FS , but once again any chance we can keep those 6 corners along with our 4 safteys mikel stewart dalh and hopefully daniells.or are any of our corners possible preactice squad editions???? or are either Murphy or Gordy gettin cut?

WAGONER: I expect the Rams to keep six. I think the four you named are set, yes. Gordy and Murphy is a bit of a toss up, but both have something to prove because they've been injured. Don't count out Kendric Burney, either. I fully expect six corners and four safeties on the final roster. THat's pretty standard.

JJ, Brooklyn
2:32 PM ET
Ok so your best guess on wr's to start the year....Gibson and Smith and Quick all make it and 2 fight it out to start,.Amendola and Salas and slots...givens, Alexander, pettis fight for the last spot? I had see givens not making the team but you had him not making it last week which i was shocked.. how do you see it and any chance they keep 7?... DO ANY OF OUR TOP 8 WR'S HAVE A CHANCE TO BE KEPT O THE PRACTICE SQUAD SO WE DONT LOSE THEM?

WAGONER: No, not necessarily. As I wrote last week, Salas has been working almost exclusively on the outside. I think he could potentially win that starting job. I'd expect more of Amendola and Smith inside then a group consisting of Quick, Gibson, Salas, Alexander and Givens on the outside. Pettis has worked a lot inside as well. The only practice squad eligible WRs the Rams have are the rookies.

fred, boise
2:38 PM ET
hey Nick! is a timeline establisted as to when all the OL will be on the field together to get some cohesivesness? thanks Nick

WAGONER: Can't have a timeline until you know when Wells is back.

JJ, Brooklyn
2:38 PM ET
Hey Nick, i read the article about Bradfords ankle still hurting him im guessing 5-6 more weeks playin on it is not goin to make it healthy so is this going to be something that lingers all year? Doesnt that make you alil nervous? I understand he looks sharp when not gettin really pressured or hit but don't you think him gettin chased and tackled by the ankles is reason to worry? Atleast tell me it is his left ankle so he dont have to plant on it??? How do you personally feel about it?

WAGONER: I think it's fair to be a little nervous about that. I don't get the impression it's bothering Sam while he's playing but you could logically conclude if it still is sore at this point that it could be more prone to re-injury. I'm not sure how you go about healing it up at this point.

ramaholic, st.louis, mo
2:39 PM ET
I would like to know what happened to Van Stumon? I thought he was a lock on the roster last year. Also do you think Legarette Blount having worked with fisher? From what I hear, coach Schiano does not seem necessarily committed to Blount being on the roster. Could Fisher maybe straighten him out? .....please answer as if I were 2yrs. old/ without the mercurial and short responses, you sometimes give. THANKS!

WAGONER: Don't know what happened to Stumon. I'd be surprised if Blount didn't even make the squad in Tampa. But if he did somehow shake loose, I'd think the Rams would at least kick the tires.

frankj, So Cali
2:40 PM ET
Hi Nick - are nfl referees on strike? The refs in camp are replacement refs? Do you see any difference between them and actual nfl refs?

WAGONER: Yes, it's replacement refs right now. Can't draw much in the way of conclusions from practice officiating. We'll see when the preseason gets going.

Joseph Devito, New York
2:41 PM ET
Nick, I think we made some strides in improving the defense. But my concern is that our biggest problem last year was the passing game. Keeping our QB from getting killed and having someone to throw to. I think we have done little to address that. No significant upgrade to the OL and only middle round talented WR's. I think that McNeill and or Buress are no brainers. do you agree?

WAGONER: I promise you when he gets back, Scott Wells is a significant upgrade to the OL. Harvey Dahl is solid as well at RG. Otherwise, there are indeed question marks. But keep in mind this is a different system. The Rams will do other things to ensure Bradford's protection. And I'd hardly call the first pick of the second round a middle round talent at WR. I suppose if Saffold and or Smith struggle here in the preseason I could see a case for McNeill. Not so much Burress. There's a reason those guys are still out there.

Jonathan, Springfield
2:43 PM ET
Hey Nick, I'm rooting for a hometown player, does Jarrett have a chance?

WAGONER: Going to be tough though practice squad could be possible.

John, Mount Airy,Maryland
2:43 PM ET
Hi Nick, I was listening to the Mike & Mike ESPN show this morning, hosted by Colin Cowherd and Mike Golic. They had Jason Taylor on and both he and Colin said they had the Rams as the dark horse to win their division. It was a breath of fresh air to see that all of us on your chat program feel good about the upcoming season. Thanks for the great work.

WAGONER: Seems like some national media are hopping on the train. Let's hope they're right.

Monte, Las Vegas
2:44 PM ET
How has Brockers looked so far? Is he the monster Fisher thinks he can be? Also, what is your take on passing on Claiborne. For all intents and purposes we traded down 8 spots to pass on Claiborne and get Jenkins in the second with Dalls' pick. Is JJ better than MC?

WAGONER: See earlier response on Brockers. I wasn't surprised or upset they passed on Claiborne when they did. When they got Jenkins in the second round, it made even more sense. In terms of pure cover skills and the tools to be a top tier corner in the league, I do think Jenkins was the best CB in the draft.

frankj, So Cali
2:45 PM ET
Hi Nick - I read your articles daily and you do a great job! Do you read the comments some us to put in there? Also, are there going to be anymore helmet-cams during camp? The helmet cam on Amendola and 55 during OTAs was great! Please have more of those!!

WAGONER: I don't get a chance to go in and look at the comments on the articles after they're posted, usually because I'm already moving on to writing the next one. I do greatly appreciate anyone that takes the time to comment - either with positive or negative feedback - on anything I write. I'll check on the helmet cams.

Jordan , Nashville,IL
2:46 PM ET
Hey nick what do you think about the rams signing Mughelli a former probowl FB. do you think he wins the job i still really like Britt Miller

WAGONER: Going to be interesting. Mughelli will probably emerge as the best guy at the spot but there are other moving parts to the decision. Miller is a very good special teams player so you get value that way. Anderson has some upside. Guidugli has strong receiving skills though he's new to the position. I think ultimately Mughelli wins out but I wouldn't be stunned if Miller makes it and I wouldn't completely rule out keeping two.

Mike A, Godfrey IL
2:48 PM ET
Who do you think is going to be the favorite to return punts and kicks? I've seen Amendola, Pead, Jenkins and Givens taking turns from the juggs machine.

WAGONER: I think Amendola will be the punt returner. In fact, Fisher has kind of indicated the job is his already. I think ultimately it will be Pead on kick returns but they need some preseason games to determine how that all plays out. Right now, Amendola is in the drivers seat because he's earned the trust of the coaches. The rookies all have to do that, still.

Dylan, Iowa
2:49 PM ET
Nick do you honestly, 100% believe that Danario Alexander is going to make the final 53 man roster? I would be upset if we let our only proven deep threat shake loose. Even if he is only healthy for half or 3/4 of the year, it would be good to have a deep threat. Not to mention, everything i've read on "DX" says he is a class act, and a great guy.

WAGONER: I think, now that he's back in the mix, he needs to step it up and make plays as often as possible. And he obviously has to stay healthy. It's going to be a dogfight. I wouldn't guarantee he's going to make it right now at all. Competition is everywhere and others have been on the field and not been off of it in this camp. I think everyone is rooting for DX, myself included. Great kid who has had some really unfortunate luck. But at some point, you have to be on the field no matter how talented you are.