Wagoner chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick's Mailbag

Tuesday, July 31.
NICK WAGONER

Jim, Arcata, Ca.
1:29 PM ET
Really excited for the new season that is in progress. I think the Rams have upgraded to where we will be very competative in every game we play. My question is, how are the running backs behind Steven Jackson looking.

WAGONER: It's only two days in but so far, Isaiah Pead has looked very solid in his backup role. He's impressed with his vision and cutback ability. Unfortunately Daryl Richardson has been out because of a leg injury so we haven't got to see much of him. Chase Reynolds has been getting whatever is left of the reps behind Jackson and Pead,

Ken, Anaheim
1:30 PM ET
Nick, I know it's early in camp but have you noticed a improvement in personnel and are the practices more organized than past camps,

WAGONER: I think organization is a good word for what I've seen. Not that previous regimes were unorganized but there is certainly a crispness and rhythm to Jeff Fisher practices. Everybody seems to know where to go and to be and how quick to get there. As for personnel, still without pads so it's hard to make an across the board judgment just two days into camp but there are some spots where the Rams are very obviously deeper and more talented (CB, WR, LB),

born again ram, louisville ky
1:32 PM ET
As a native St.louisan and former Nashvillian; when i heard my old ocach took a job in my old home i became a born again ram. I've garnnered every scrap of information i could, through the draft OTA and now trainning camp. I have to belive that if Fisher can work his magic and this team jels and the offensive line can keep sam upright that this could well be the sleeper team of 2012 that knocks the experts off their perch. What is the feeling there in St.louis, are expectations high or is every one just holding their collective breath?

WAGONER: I think it's a little bit of both. People are expecting great things from the Fisher era and rightfully so based on his track record. But there is also a cautious approach in a way, which is also completely understandable. Until this team shows it can win on a consistent basis, people will have their doubts. But for the most part, it seems everyone is at least enthusiastic about the direction it's heading,

Scott, Los Angeles
1:34 PM ET
Hi Nick, I swore I would never ask a uniform question, but this one is different. the teams training camp jerseys look great. are they available to the public? I'd love to wear one to the gym. thanks!

WAGONER: To my knowledge, the practice jerseys are not available for sale,

Michael, Providence, RI
1:35 PM ET
Hello Nick, thanks for taking our questions. I just have to say that it's great to get a new season going. Has there been any early favorites for the starting jobs for the WR? Do Quick and Givens look like they'll be able to contribute this year?

WAGONER: Honestly, the receiver position has been interesting because it seems everyone is getting a shot with the first team. Right now, Brandon Gibson and Steve Smith are working first on the outside with Amendola in the slot. But Salas, Quick, Givens and even some Pettis have been working in there as well. Nothing is being given to Quick and Givens, they are going to have to earn it. Quick had a good day yesterday after a bit of a rough start. Givens has flashed as well. I still think the depth chart will have a different look than it does now when the regular season gets here but this competition is going to last well into this camp,

Scott, Los Angeles
1:38 PM ET
Hi Nick, great to have training camp going. I always enjoy the optimism all clubs have this time of the year. i know camp has only been open less than a week, but I'm already sensing a growing sense of excitement. I think a lot of that has to do with Fisher being brought in as coach, plus between the draft and free agency, an influx of talent that has been missing the past couple of years. Do you get the same feeling, or is it too early? Maybe I'm just caught up with football being back. once a fan, always a fan. great articles of late, you always do a super job of coming up with really interesting topics. thanks for taking our questions today,

WAGONER: I definitely think that with the start of camp, hope springs eternal. I think that happens everywhere. I do my best to keep an even keel perspective on things in everything I write but there's nothing wrong with having an optimistic viewpoint at this time of year. Everybody is on the same page,

Ken, Anaheim
1:41 PM ET
Nick, what is the status of OG Watkins,it might be naive. But I would have thought just being drafted he would have come in in shape,

WAGONER: He's getting closer to getting back on the field. The staff was disappointed that he didn't come to camp ready to go, no question about it. There's a golden opportunity out there to be won and he set himself behind the curve a bit. He did some individual work yesterday so it should be a matter of time before he's back full speed, maybe even today,

Scott, Los Angeles
1:42 PM ET
Hi Nick, my question has to do with defensive schemes. what differences are there between what Fisher wants to incorporate versus what has been in place the past couple of years under the previous staff? Seems like we got bigger and faster. thanks for taking our questions today,

WAGONER: I'm going to write about this, probably next week and try to dive in a little to what this scheme is all about exactly. But here are some tidbits that I've been able to glean so far: - More Cover 2. This isn't a Cover 2 scheme per se, but they have more elements of it than the previous defense. - The D ends line up wider (wide 9) and are asked to use speed and explosiveness more to beat the tackles (tailor made for Quinn and Long). This is also why the emphasis was placed on getting bigger, more physical DTs in the offseason. - The corners will mix press man with cover 2 but they have major responsibilities in the run game and must be able to tackle. Those are just a few things but I hope to go more in depth on it in the next week or so and sit down with Coach McGinnis to get some more insight,

Tom, Vero Beach, FL
1:45 PM ET
Any surprises or prospects among the free agents?

WAGONER: I mentioned this in the blog but I'll give you a couple of early sleepers to make this roster: DT Matt Conrath and CB Kendric Burney,

Scott, Los Angeles
1:46 PM ET
Hi Nick, how are you? I knew Wells had knee surgery, but how serious was it and what is his recuperation time? thanks for answering all of our questions,

WAGONER: It wasn't a serious knee surgery. It was more of a knee scope. Here's the thing and I want to warn that I can't give you the full answer right now: But Wells had his surgery and then he had a very busy offseason that kept him from being able to do the proper rehab which is why he isn't fully ready to go right now. The reasons for the missed rehab are very good ones and I promise I'll explain it soon enough but just know that he'll be fine and should be back up and ready to go fairly soon. Thanks for understanding,

Will, Tallahassee
1:47 PM ET
Top 15 defense this year?

WAGONER: I won't make any predictions but I'll say this: The guys on the Rams defense will be disappointed if they aren't better than just top 15. There is A LOT of talent in that group,

Chris, St. Louis
1:48 PM ET
Mike Sando recently wrote an article on the slot match-up between Amendola and Finnegan. I really like that the new coaching staff has our best players competing against each other on the practice field. What was the reasoning behind the old regime matching the first-team offence with the second-team defence for practices and scrimages? It certainly made the first-team units look better and maybe built their confidence, but it seems like there's so much more to gain from practicing with stronger competition,

WAGONER: I mentioned this a number of times in the spring that it was great to see 1s vs. 1s. What would surprise you, Chris, is that most teams DON'T do it this way. Most teams go with 1's vs. 2's, I think out of fear that having your best guys on the field together increases injury risk. But Fisher believes in having the best against the best. He won't do it all the time but he's doing it now and it's creating quite an atmosphere in terms of competition,

Nick, St. Louis
1:50 PM ET
Hey Nick! Any chance you give us an idea of what the depth chart looks like any time soon? I recognize that the preseason games will convey that and that it will be different by the time week one rolls around, but it makes it easier to watch camp and see who's pushing who at each position,

WAGONER: Can I give you a quick look at what I think the 2 deep looks like right now? This is just based on what I've seen so it's by no means official: QB: Bradford, Clemens RB: Jackson, Pead FB: Miller, Anderson (Mughelli will be soon enough) WR: Gibson, Salas WR: Smith, Quick Slot WR: Amendola, Pettis TE: Kendricks, Hoomanawanui, Mulligan LT: Saffold, McKee or Valdez LG: Ojinnaka, Mattison C: Turner, Barnes RG: Dahl, Hebert RT: J. Smith, B. Richardson On Defense: LDE: Long, Hayes LDT: Brockers, Laws RDT: Langford, Conrath RDE: Quinn, Sims SLB: Haggan, Hull MLB: Laurinaitis, Keller WLB: Dunbar, McIntosh LCB: Finnegan, Gordy RCB: Jenkins, Fletcher FS: Mikell, Dahl SS: Stewart or Dahl

Will, Tallahassee
1:58 PM ET
How many WRs do you think will make the squad, six or seven?

WAGONER: I doubt it's any more than six,

alex f., so.elmonte,ca,
1:59 PM ET
do you think the rams will use our tightends more this year than in previous years? kendricks and hoooooo! have a lot of talent,

WAGONER: Yes, without question,

Ryan Williams, Youngstown, Oh
1:59 PM ET
Any updates on Joe Long and whats your thoughts on the rams line? Who is running the third team line may I ask?

WAGONER: Reps are few and far between for him right now. He's probably a practice squad candidate. Hard to judge until we get the pads on (which is coming Thursday, by the way),

Ryan Williams, Youngstown, Oh
2:00 PM ET
How are you doing this week? Training camp finally started and you have long pointed out conrath as a possible sleeper to watch and I have taken you point and have even watched couple of his game in the past but is there anyone else you think otherwise from the known that can comeout and surprise?

WAGONER: I've mentioned Burney as well. And I think Matt Daniels and/or Rodney McLeod might be worth paying attention to at safety as well,

Ramprint, Medford, oregon
2:01 PM ET
Hi Nick, Thanks for the articles you have been writing. Can you give me a solid update on Scott Wells. I believe we all hope that the O-line is as solid as the coaching staff might think it is, but the O-line is the biggest area of concern from my perspective. My view is that the key to it's success is Wells,

WAGONER: Please read my earlier answer on Wells. Like I said, I don't think it's going to be a prolonged thing. He just needs some time to get back up to speed in terms of his health,

Russ, in Phoenix
2:01 PM ET
Hey Nick! Thanks for fielding questions! On the Danario Alexander front, he was held out for Hamstring problems. Being away from Rams camp, what's happening with him? How much more patience are the Rams going have with a player (any player for that matter) who is having hamstring problems for nearly a year now. This camp is pretty much make or break for D.Alex. What's your thoughts/insight? Thanks Nick!

WAGONER: Danario strained the hamstring while training to come back for camp. He just has some awful luck. It's hard to argue with the idea that this is a make or break camp for him. He needs to be healthy first and foremost. We all know what he can do when he plays but it's never been about talent with him,

Will, Tallahassee
2:02 PM ET
Hadn't heard much about Pettis or Steve Smith yet. I know its early, but is no good news good news or bad news at this point?

WAGONER: Smith has been very solid and had some really good moments. He can still play but let's see how he holds up through the dog days of camp. Nothing much worth noting on Pettis though he had one nice grab on Sunday,

Robert, Highlands Ranch, CO
2:03 PM ET
Hey Nick, I know you don't do predictions but aren't you as excited as I am about our defense's potential? Nobody is talking about us, for obviouis reasons, but I strongly believe our defense could be crazy good this year. Long/Quinn, Langford/Brockers, Jenkins/Finnegan, Laurinitus in the middle? I mean, come on.....,

WAGONER: I definitely think the defense will be the strength of this team. I just want to see what's there in terms of the outside 'backers and safety before buying all in,

2:04 PM ET
Hey Nick, I know it's early yet but how has JJ looked? I am hoping now that his contract is out of the way that he proves to be what we think he is AND that he stays out of trouble,

WAGONER: He's been as good as advertised and as good as he was in the spring. I say this confidently: there is going to be a time sooner than later where teams actively throw away from Janoris Jenkins,

Walker, Mn
2:06 PM ET
Hey nick! How are the new guys looking whether it be rookies or free agents? Which newcomer has impressed you the most?

WAGONER: Many of them look good, but it's early and there are no pads yet. Let's separate them out after that, shall we?

2:07 PM ET
Hey Nick, I'm sure I am one of many that will say this but..... Thank goodness we extended Long's contract!! As a 30+ year Rams Fan and ex-season ticket holder from LA, I have grown accustomed to watching our best players not be extended and/or voluntarily leaving for other teams. I hope this is a sign of things to come,

WAGONER: It is a sign of things to come. His pal No. 55 will be done soon enough as well. And for those that were worried about getting these contracts done, well, the proof is in the pudding. Patience is best sometimes,

Samantha, Texas
2:08 PM ET
Hi! my dad is ur number one fan!

WAGONER: I hope you mean the Rams and not mine,

2:08 PM ET
Hey Nick, What's Robert Quinn's status at this time? I'm assuming there will be suspensions by the team and/or league? What's likely to happen there?

WAGONER: Not likely. But he's fine to go right now either way. He's practicing and waiting for the legal process to play out,

Kathy, Indiana
2:10 PM ET
Hi. We are coming from out of town to watch the Saturday, August 4th scrimmage at 12:30. What time is the public allowed access to the Dome? Thanks!

WAGONER: Doors open at noon. Look forward to seeing you there,

Will, Tallahassee
2:12 PM ET
How has Jerome Murphy looked? Could end up being a solid back-up as long as isn't getting lost in shuffle

WAGONER: Have to be completely honest here: I haven't watched much of Murphy yet,

Monte, Las Vegas
2:12 PM ET
I've heard manhy bad things about OC Shottenhiemer. What's your take? Is his offense too sophistocated/complicated than it needs to be? Or will they dumb it down a bit to make sure Bradford doesn't get mauled? Can/will Fischer reign in Shot if he goes crazy?

WAGONER: I'm not sure where that comes from. I don't think this offense is too complicated. It's a solid, proven offense. THis team is going to run the football. A lot. Doesn't take rocket scientists to handle it,

Bill, PA
2:13 PM ET
Nick, I was looking at some of the FA's that are still available. What do you think of Plaxico Burress and Marcus McNeill. Plaxico is 34 but he's physical and a good red zone target. McNeill is injury prone, but he's 6'7" 336 lbs and has quick feet. Do the ram's have any interest in adding free agents? thanks from PA

WAGONER: Not that I'm aware of. And I'll take a pass on any of the older wideouts,

frankj, So Cali
2:13 PM ET
Hi Nick - what's your opinion on Penn State sanctions/punishments - warranted? As far as i know, we only have 1 PSU alum (Josh Hull), right? Is he bummed out about it? Records will show he lost all of his games in college

WAGONER: I won't get too far into this because I know it's an issue that draws strong opinions both directions. I'll just say that people should really read and comprehend the Freeh report first then draw their own conclusions on what was warranted and what wasn't. Haven't talked to Hull about it but I'm sure he's disappointed that his college career was essentially wiped from the books,

T.J, St.Louis
2:15 PM ET
Are there Any Rookies that or going to start ? if so can you please tell me specifically which ones

WAGONER: Too early to name starters but I've maintained since the spring that Jenkins, Quick, Zuerlein, Hekker, Brockers are likely to start. Givens and Watkins have an outside chance,

Lloyd, Louisiana
2:16 PM ET
Nick, is the team giving any thought of looking at Marcus McNeill? I hear that Saffold and Smith got their heads chopped off the last couple days for the false starts they committed

WAGONER: I don't think a couple false starts is going to cause panic to sign a veteran. I don't know of any interest in McNeill. I'd think it would take something more along the lines of an injury for the Rams to make a move like that,

frankj, So Cali
2:16 PM ET
Hi Nick - Have you seen any rookie hazing going on? Also, will Fisher be bringing in any guests to talk to guys in training camp. Like our Super Bowl champion coach Vermeil - maybe not huh.. as Fisher was on the losing end on that one,

WAGONER: No rookie hazing. Those days of truly hazing are pretty much gone. I'm sure at some point they'll have to sing and perform for their veteran teammates, though. Not sure on bringing in guest speakers but I do know that Fisher welcomes former players and coaches to come visit and be around the team. Torry Holt told me at FIsher's softball game that he's going to be here the second week of August to be around the team and help with the receivers. I believe Aeneas Williams is scheduled to come by as well,

T.J, St.Louis
2:18 PM ET
Are the Rams interested in signing any WRs in Free Agency ? There's Plexico Burress , Braylon Edwards , and Mike Williams still out there

WAGONER: Still out there for a reason,

Will, Tallahassee
2:24 PM ET
Are they roll with Steve a Paed only at RB or should we be expecting a vet to come in as well at some point?

WAGONER: I think ideally Richardson wins the third RB job. My guess is that after some preseason games, if the Rams aren't happy with their depth at RB, they could revisit,

T.J, St.Louis
2:26 PM ET
But Mike Wallace is 25 and was a Pro Bowler last year , what makes him so undesirable?

WAGONER: Who said he was undesirable? He's not available, though. Can't get a player that isn't available,

Lloyd, Louisiana
2:27 PM ET
Nick, with Ojinnika working at LG right now, is there a strong possibility that Mattison wins the job overall because I think Ojinikka is better for as a backup OT. I like Barry Richardson but he's probably a long shot at making the team isn't he?

WAGONER: I wouldn't classify Richardson as a long shot by any means. A lot of it will depend on who wins that LG job. If it's Ojinnaka (and right now, he's the leader in the clubhouse, though it's very early), then Richardson makes sense to keep around as the third tackle. It also depends on how many linemen they want to keep. Ojinnaka and Mattison will duke it out for a while, though,

That's going to do it for me today. Remember, the Rams Fan Fest/ Scrimmage is set for Sunday at 12:30 at the Edward Jones Dome. It's free and open to the public. Hope you all can make it out and we'll discuss it and anything else you want next week.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I think Jeff Fisher and Les Snead are putting together a Rams Defense that will not only be much improved this season but will also be one of the NFL's best Defenses for years to come! This Defense should be a lot of fun to watch!