Wagoner Chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick's Mailbag

Tuesday, July 24

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1681?a_id=2

Ken, Anaheim
3:00 PM ET
Nick, When will they start contract drills, I'm hoping they find a stud OLBer in their group of rookies.

WAGONER: The full squad training camp begins on Sunday. I'd imagine that the first fully padded practice will be on Monday. Not sure how much Jeff Fisher will go live but I'd think there will be some of that in this camp

Brett, Spokane, WA
3:02 PM ET
I was watching a video of Sam Bradford when he workedout at the combine. He looked much bigger then, looks like he was hiting weights pretty hard. He looks slimmer now, is that by design?

WAGONER: I don't think he's much different than he was then but I'll ask him when he reports this week to see where he's at

Clayton, North Carolina
3:02 PM ET
Nick, I'm not able to view the responses for the chats, but it seems as if I'm able to submit questions. Help.

WAGONER: This problem just popped up last week and I apologize for it. I think we've got the issue fixed (for the record, it's a technical issue way over my head), so hopefully we'll be up and sailing smooth for the rest of the year

Mike , Canada
3:03 PM ET
Hey nick have you seen the rookie kicker at all? Did he ever show off the leg in rookie camp?

WAGONER: I did see him kick some back in the offseason program. Very strong leg for a smaller guy. I'll be writing the special teams primer for today and as I mention in there, it will be worth keeping an eye on him in preseason games to see how he handles kicking in bigger stadiums with higher stakes than he's accustomed

Germayne Farrell, STL
3:05 PM ET
Hey Nick, whatis the deal with Jenkins and Johnson? Will they be at Rams Park today? If not how close to a deal are they with the Rams? Getting a little nervous..

WAGONER: I think they're very close to deals. I expect them to be finished in short order. Probably by tomorrow

Jannelle, Show Me's, Fairview Heights
3:09 PM ET
I was wondering if the Rams have a plan in place concerning Long and Laurinaitis's contract situation? Also I have been hearing a lot of talk about Pead from non Rams fans having a super fast first step and also a powerful runner for his size. Do you think that Pead was as undervalued in the draft as a lot of people think that he was?

WAGONER: The plan is to get them both signed. The Rams will have a lot of cap space to work with next year and they will be able to afford both players. The ideal way to handle it is to get both signed to long term deals. That's something the Rams want to do. If they don't, they could theoretically sign one and still have the tag for the other. I don't think it will turn out to be too much of an issue, though. I expect the Rams to get both signed. Hard to say on Pead because I haven't seen enough of him to know what he does best or not. Remember, he missed a big chunk of the offseason program because of the rules prohibiting him from coming here until his school completed classes

james brennan, new zealand huntly rosser rd 68
3:13 PM ET
what are your fav sports if you couldint pick rugby

WAGONER: Well, if I can't pick rugby... Obviously football is right at the top of the list. But as many of the regular readers of this here mailbag know, I'm an unabashed hoops head. I can't get enough basketball

Eddie P, Long Beach, CA
3:14 PM ET
Hello Nick, my question is about McIntosh and the OLB spots. I hear Dunbar is pretty nestled into the Wil spot and the Sam position is up for the taking between Haggan & Rocky. McIntosh has more of a general feel for the D, since he was with Williams with the Redskins. Does this give McIntosh a leg up on securing the starting role?

WAGONER: Good question, Eddie. I don't know yet how this is going to play out but I think there's a possibility we'll end up seeing McIntosh at WIL and Dunbar at SAM. Dunbar has experience all over and he seems to be a more natural fit on the strong side than McIntosh, who spent the bulk of his time (at least when Washington played a 4-3) on the weak side. Remember, McIntosh didn't sign until the end of the offseason program so it remains to be seen where everyone lines up. Haggan also figures in the mix but he's more exclusively a SAM

Don Riley , New Jersey
3:16 PM ET
I'd really like to look at stat for Rookie NFL players making it through a 16 game schedule Or a 14 game schedule (through the years) And see just how much if any the stat has risen. I saw a listing of rookies who made it through 16 games last year (and it was a short list). As a "human being" I have to feel concern here. I'm not really sure where the NFL is going. But hopefully they keep attempting to do whatever they can to avoid injuries to the players. How do you feel about this, Nick ?

WAGONER: It's obvious that Commissioner Goodell has made player safety a priority and that's a good thing. I hope that same priority is being placed on safety at the lower levels of the game as well

Lee, Huntington Beach
3:17 PM ET
Nick, What's the status of the contracts with Long and Laurinaitis? Seems like things are draggin out. You thoughts?

WAGONER: Dragging out? Neither is a free agent until after this season. Plenty of time to get something done with both. And as I mentioned in an earlier response, I think something will get done with both before they ever hit the market. And if not, one will be tagged

Joseph Devito, New York
3:17 PM ET
Nick, any chance we may bring in another free agent? There still seems to be a need at OL and WR.

WAGONER: I think it's possible depending on how things play out in camp. I think, especially on the lines, that it's hard to know what you have until you put the pads on. When the pads do come on, it will be easier to evaluate what's in place and it's possible another FA could be brought in. As for receiver, there simply isn't much out there in free agency right now

Mike , Canada
3:19 PM ET
Hey Nick, This has been quite an offseason . I am wondering with the new CBA rules do the players have more time on their hands. Im not sure what the difference is to be honest but in the past were their more off season programs? These DUIs and run ins with the police are unbelieveable. Whats up

WAGONER: Well, the new CBA created some more time on the players' hands but I'm not sure it's such a substantial difference that it's created the results in terms of off field issues we've seen this offseason. It's interesting to think that last year seemed to be much more tame in terms of off field woes around the league when there was literally no offseason at all

matt e, az
3:24 PM ET
What's your take on the new team? Is the chemestry there?

WAGONER: It seemed like the guys really got along and enjoyed their time together back in the offseason program. But there is no better time for chemistry and team building than training camp. The amount of work these guys put in during camp is overwhelming and considering the oppressive heat in St. Louis, they're going to need to lean on one another to make it through

Ryan William, youngstown,ohio
3:25 PM ET
hey nick how was your vacation? is there any way u see the rams bringing in aaron berry since he is cheap just seeing what you think

WAGONER: It was good, nice to get away for a little bit and just unplug before we dive back into it. That said, happy that we're getting ready to start. Football is almost back. I don't see it happening with Berry. The Rams feel really good about what they have at corner and clearly Berry has his own issues.

Lee, Huntington Beach
3:28 PM ET
Nick, Thanks for your response on those contracts. It seemed to me that you thought these contracts would get done before the start of pre-season, but it seems now that you think it will be much later. Are they really even negotiating at this point?

WAGONER: I don't know the extent of negotiations. I thought it was possible something could get done before camp but there are other issues that have taken precedence. Just know that a deal could happen at any time. It's not like there will be some sort of negotiation embargo, especially with Long considering the ties there

Mark, Los Angeles
3:29 PM ET
There has been couple trades lately do you see us making any trades or anything like that like a corner for someone?

WAGONER: I wouldn't rule anything out. This regime has made it clear that it's willing to explore any and all avenues to add talent. But I'd add the caveat that these guys probably want to get a good look at what they have on the current roster before making any type of move

Mark, Los Angeles
3:30 PM ET
Why was Hay release if you have any info and do you see us adding either Montrae Holland, Jake Scott, Kemeoeatu or any lineman out there to get a look and fill out the 90 man roster

WAGONER: Don't know the exact reason but just think the Rams wanted to go another direction and potentially take a look at someone else. Who that someone else might be, I don't know but you make a valid point that there are still some names on the free agent market that could potentially get a looksee

Adam, St. Louis
3:32 PM ET
I wanted to really know if any of the vets or rookies stayed back during the break just to lift or practice while everyone was gone?

WAGONER: Some guys stick around but for the most part, the past month plus is their time and most of them head home or back to their colleges to train and get away

Travis, Lake of the ozarks
3:32 PM ET
Nick, many people have talked negatively about our offensive line because of their play last year. I feel our team didn't have the weapons to have same taking five and seven step drops. The scheme that josh mcdaniels wasn't good for a team like the rams. We were rebuilding and that scheme jus couldn't succeed here. Remember how good Sam look when pat shurmur was the oc. I feel scottenhiemers offense will be perfect For our team and we will exceed most people's expectations I truly believe with the coaching and current roster we will make the playoffs. At least have a five hundred record thanks!

WAGONER: There's truth to what you are saying, Travis. But the line does need to perform better regardless of offense. I do think this offense won't ask them to do as much as last year's. And likewise, I think new line coach Paul Boudreau will be a boon to them, particularly the young guys

Adam, St. Louis
3:34 PM ET
Do you think that if Steve Smith produce very good this season the rams will be looking to sign both him and Amendola at the end of the year?

WAGONER: Interesting question, Adam. I guess it depends on how both perform. But I think you're making the assumption that both are at their best in the slot and it would be repetitive to have both? If that's the case, it would be a good problem to have. My guess is that neither will post the type of numbers to just break the bank and would both be affordable to keep around. Let's just hope they both produce enough for that scenario to occur. That'd be a good sign for the Rams

Josh, New York
3:36 PM ET
I know Jeff Fisher said that Hayes went through some surgery in May I think do you think he is ready for camp or tell me of anybody that might be hold out for a bit in camp?

WAGONER: Hayes is ready to go. My understanding is that C Scott Wells might be the only one who isn't ready to go. I believe TE Mike Hoomanawanui was cleared to go and has even reported early. Wells had knee cleanup in the spring but might not be fully up to speed to go full strength yet

Adam, St. Louis
3:39 PM ET
Yes I think it would be a good problem but do you see Smith moving outside while Amendola play the slot and what about Salas he is a slot receiver too right?

WAGONER: Salas got used a lot on the outside during the offseason program and seemed to transition quite well. Smith can also play outside if need be. I said back in the spring not to sleep on Salas as a guy that could potentially win the starting job opposite Quick on the outside. I still think that's possible. Smith could figure into that mix as well and of course we'll see how fast Givens comes along with Gibson and Alexander also pushing. In theory, Smith and Amendola can play together in four wideout sets, I'm just not sure how much of that is in this scheme

Josh, New York
3:41 PM ET
If Scott wells is not ready do you think turner takes that position a while or t-BOB and since the panthers acquired Otah from the panthers do you think the rams will atleast look at him if he get cut since he knows Schotty system?

WAGONER: Turner would almost certainly get most of the work in Wells' place should he be unable to go right away. Tim Barnes could also factor in there. I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking whether the Rams would be interested in Otah if he got cut by the Jets? I'd think they'd kick the tires on that but I'd be surprised if he didn't make it there

Jason, Miami
3:45 PM ET
Is Ryan Mckee still on the team and how is burney doing i remember him coming out of UNC and he is a pretty decent cb. I feel as if both him and gordy could surprise at camp which could allow a trade for the rams

WAGONER: McKee is still here. THis is a make or break camp for him. He's exhausted his practice squad eligibility so he'll need to make quite an impression to land a roster spot. Burney had a really nice offseason and I've mentioned him previously as a sleeper to watch out for. I think he could be one of those guys who surprises people and lands on the roster

Josh, New York
3:47 PM ET
I mean if Hunter gets cut do you think we could acquire him. Cuz its almost certain he will.

WAGONER: As I said, I think the Rams are open to any and all possibilities to improve the roster

Jason, Miami
3:49 PM ET
Have you spoke to the TE we acquired that failed his drug test? Its really a shame it happen but that guy from UCLA is a beast and probably beat him out anyways

WAGONER: I interviewed Brody Eldridge back in the spring. Haven't talked to him since.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WAGONER: Salas got used a lot on the outside during the offseason program and seemed to transition quite well. Smith can also play outside if need be. I said back in the spring not to sleep on Salas as a guy that could potentially win the starting job opposite Quick on the outside. I still think that's possible.
That's what a lot of us thought about Salas' potential and future.