Wagoner chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick's Mailbag

Tuesday, June 19, 2012
http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1679?a_id=2

zn, Maine
12:40 PM CT
In retrospect, it looks like McDaniels did not cut the offense back enough to compensate for having a young offense with no off-season to install the system. Do you think he would do it differently if he had to do it over again? I am not trashing the guy, but, as good as he is, McD is young and never dealt with either a very young offense before or of course a lockout, so saying he made mistakes on that one is not like trashing the guy. Of course also according to Football Outsiders the Rams in 2011 had the single most injured offense since 2002. So there's that too. But I bet knowing what they know now, they would do the install differently if they could have a do-over and scale the offense back more.

WAGONER: I think that's probably a pretty fair assessment. No coach had ever really been through that, especially in his first year in a new place with new personnel. Add in the injuries and well, you saw the result. I'm quite confident that having a full offseason to add pieces, make tweaks and install this system will help the Rams improve offensively in 2012.

Justin, Joplin, MO
12:41 PM CT
Hey Nick do you think the Rams will give Banks a try out?

WAGONER: It's a great story but I don't think it's likely to happen. He's got tryouts lined up around the league but to even get a spot on someone's 90-man roster is going to be incredibly difficult for Banks. I wish him well. Also, Justin, we'll be down in your neck of the woods this week to build some homes. Really looking forward to it and to seeing the progress that's been made since we last visited.

Jordan, Nashville IL
12:42 PM CT
Hey Nick im a huge MJD fan and this hold out got me worried. HOw do you see this unfolding, and how do you think it will affect MJDs year.

WAGONER: I don't have any direct insight into MJD and the Jags, obviously but I'd imagine it will play out like most of these things do. He'll either get paid, have a lengthy holdout then get paid or he'll have a lengthy holdout, not get paid and then report at the start of the season because he doesn't want to lose out on a paycheck all together.

Mike A, Godfrey IL
12:44 PM CT
I thought the Rams had their roster at 90 before the signing of McIntosh, but I haven't seen or heard of anyone being released. Were they not at 90 or did we just not hear about the player who got the ax?

WAGONER: The roster was at 89 before McIntosh. It's at 90 now.

Mike A, Godfrey IL
12:44 PM CT
Nick I want to give you a huge thank you for getting the mini camp photos and the wired up videos up last week, they were awesome! I'm sure my constant nagging on the issue grew tiresome. I know other people are involved in getting those things done so give them a big thank you as well.

WAGONER: Don't thank me. Thanks go to Newman Lowrence, our terrific team photographer for the shots and to Keith Harris for getting them up. The new Wireds come courtesy of Scott Brooks and his crew. The helmet cam is awesome and getting some great response from it. Glad you all enjoyed it.

Travis , The ozarks
12:47 PM CT
With the signing of mcintosh I think we've added great depth at OLB. I was really hopin this woul happen after hearing of his visit. I know fisher has said we are going to run more 2 LB defenses. When we do have 3 LB's in who is more likely to get to start mcintosh or hagan? I've always like mcintosh and I think he could be a good player for us. I jus hope other rams fans can stop complaining about our LB situation. I think we're going to have a solid front seven!

WAGONER: I wrote a lengthy blog trying to at least give an idea of what the LB situation will ultimately look like but making any definitive statements now on that is probably a stretch. It's even more difficult because nobody was in pads and we didn't get to see much of McIntosh. But my best early guess would be that it'll be Laurinaitis and Dunbar in the nickel (two LBs) and then Laurinaitis (MLB), Dunbar (SLB) and McIntosh (WLB) in the base defense. But there are a ton of permutations here. Haggan could win the SLB job and Dunbar could be the WLB with McIntosh as a backup. You could also see a youngster emerge. Let's wait to see what happens when the pads come on.

JimL, Annapolis, MD
12:50 PM CT
One more question, what does the coaching staff think about Janoris Jenkins, and does he figure to be the probable starter opposite Finnegan?

WAGONER: The staff likes Jenkins as much as everyone else does. The kid is just super talented. I think he'll ultimately start opposite Finnegan, yes.

JimL, Annapolis, MD
12:50 PM CT
What is the actual size and speed of rookie Brian Quick? I've heard everything from 6'3 to 6'4 225-240lbs and 4.45-4.6. Also are the Rams looking to add a veteran RB or are they comfortable w/ Pead & Richardson to start the season behind SJ39?

WAGONER: He's a shade under 6'4 and about 220 pounds. I don't have a definitive 40 time on him but I'd say he's right at the 4.5 range. My sense is the Rams are excited about both Pead and Richardson and that duo will get every opportunity to handle the Nos. 2 and 3 spots on the depth chart.

mike, montreal
12:52 PM CT
I love some of the additions made this offseason, although it will mean that some of the remaining players from last year wiil get cut. I know its a long time from now, but when will the first round of cuts be?

WAGONER: The first cut (from 90 players to 80 players) is Aug. 28. The final cut, the big one, down to 53 is Sept. 2.

Lee, Huntington Beach
12:55 PM CT
Nick, As I recall, the rule last year was that teams were limited to 14 paded practices during the regular season. Is that still the same this year? How many can you have during training camps and preseason? Seems a little strange to only have 14 paded practices when teams play 16 games. Your thoughts?

WAGONER: Yes, the limit is 14 padded practices and 11 of those have to come in the first 11 weeks. You can't have more than one padded practice in a week more than once, either. And those practices can't be any longer than three hours. On bye weeks, it's mandatory to have four days off. During the preseason, you can have a padded practice every day but only one and that practice cannot exceed three hours. If you do an additional practice, you cannot exceed four hours total for the day and the other practice must be walk through pace. For the record, the Rams don't have any two a days scheduled. There are some installation walk throughs and some special teams stuff here and there but no actual two a days.

Nick, St. Louis
1:00 PM CT
Hey Nick! What do you think of the new All 22 access that will soon accompany the NFL's Game Rewind package? I am currently subscribed to it and even without the All 22 I love it and would recommend it to any and all fans who want to watch past game footage. The All 22 seems like a great way for fans like me, who love the x's and o's, to get even more in depth than before. What do you think?

WAGONER: I think it's an awesome idea that has been a long time coming. For the hardcore fans that really want to "break down" the tape, that's really the only way to do it. I know that some consider watching YouTube highlight clips and the television broadcast breaking down tape but this will give them a whole new avenue to really see it how the coaches see it when they review tape.

Mike, Canada
1:02 PM CT
Any interest in the Brian Banks kis Nick, Sounds like he might be worth signing and seeing what he has . Would be tough to look at that kid in practice every day and not give it your best effort.he would be a great person to have around the locker room and it sounds like he can play, just needs months to get into football shape. And he is a linebacker

WAGONER: See earlier response on Banks. Just remember how long it's been since he's played football and we're talking about a kid who never even played a down in college. It's quite a projection.

Mike , CAnada
1:05 PM CT
Hey Nick, I see that Jake Scott is still a free agent.. He has started at guard for 6-7 straight years in the league and he has in Tennesee. Is he not a fit for us? couldnt be that expensive could he? We still need a guard to shore up the line.

WAGONER: I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been picked up. I don't think the Rams have interest as of now. He's a bit undersized but he could be someone the team revisits as we get closer to camp. Sometimes with older veterans, they prefer not to sign until camp begins so they can keep their bodies fresh and search for the right fit.

Travis, Lake ozarks
1:08 PM CT
Nick, every week we have fans on here complaining that the rams didn do enough via the draft. Everyone says that we didn't take a lineman or linebacker with a high pick. I feel that many do not realize the value of the picks we made. The rams are setting themselves up for years to come and it's going to be sad to see the fairweather fans when the rams turn it around and thy start to root for the rams. The rams may be 15-65 but us true fans like myself watched every single game We are going to be a surprise to many people this year!

WAGONER: Here's hoping, Travis.

Travis, Lake ozark
1:08 PM CT
Great to hear that we will have cap room to sign long and lauranitis. These two are going to be the heart of our defense for years to come. I saw on demoffs chat that he said Chris longs agent canbe hard to deal with. Was this statement made for a laugh or is he going to be tough to lock up long term. I think many people do not realize how good he can be especially when we are in the lead and facing the pass (not to much last year bc we were always loosing and people ran out the clock with the run) I think long will be th leagues top sack guy for many years to come and we need him LONG term!

WAGONER: The statement was a joke, at least I think it was. For those that don't know, Chris Long's agent is Marvin Demoff, Kevin's father. I expect something to get done with both of those guys before they hit free agency.

Eads, Florida
1:09 PM CT
Hey Nick, I got a CB question.. I think our CB situation is stacked. The pickup on Finnegan, Fletcher being a great veteran in the Rams system, both rookies (Jenkins, Johnson), and Murphy and Gordy are potential up-risers. Do you think we'll keep all 6 or is that too many for me to hope on and we'll have to cut one of them?

WAGONER: I fully expect the Rams to keep six corners. I think those six would seem to be in good shape but I'll throw this name out there again as someone who could surprise: Kendric Burney.

Mark V, Beaverton, Or
1:10 PM CT
Hi Nick, I hear next to nothing about Quintin Mikell. Does he still figure in the Rams plans?

WAGONER: Yep. Mikell is fine. He's a likely starter at safety and filled that role through the offseason.

Don Riley , New Jersey
1:12 PM CT
I'd like to give a "shout out" on a player who retired this week. Ladanian Tomlinson. I never was a fan of LT when he was with the Chargers (and I never saw him play much). But, in watching him the last two years with the Jets. I have to say I felt he was a truly remarkable player. Even in the final game of this past season. When "I'm sorry to say", many of the Jets players "phoned it in". LT played each down and every play as if it was the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl game and the plays truly counted.. I will always remember that last game and each game I saw him play as a Jet ( truly remarkable). The last two seasons were as a "role player" for the most part but he still ran very hard and was very difficult to tackle. I found him to be remarkable. I'm really glad I got to see him as many times as I did, it was inspirational (not just to football players but to people in general). He just played hard - every play, no matter what the score !

WAGONER: I'm really glad you brought this up, Don. It's been kind of amazing to me how little pub LT's retirement has been (though I always wished people would call him LDT, since LT is already spoken for). I was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who works in the fantasy sports realm at a major publication and he and I both agree that Tomlinson is one of the five greatest running backs ever. He was a complete player who was fearless and a great person off the field. I'd put him right at No. 5 in my rankings of the best backs ever.

Lee, Huntington Beach
1:16 PM CT
Nick, What have you seen of the two guys (John Hekker and Tom Malone) who will battle for the punter position? That's a real concern for the Rams this year, and it was a strong point last year. Your thoughts

WAGONER: I wish I could compare and contrast but I have yet to actually see Hekker kick a ball. He's been absent because of the school rules for those universities on the quarters system.

jordan, nashville il
1:24 PM CT
hey nick hows Greg Zuerlein looking does he look good. i hope he works out because a good Kicker can mean the difference between a win and a lose.

WAGONER: Very strong leg, very strong. We'll have to see how he does when the lights come on, though.

Jon M., Bishop, CA.

[/b][/color] 1:30 PM CT
Hi Nick. I have watched Jeff Fisher since he played at USC, played with the Chicago Bears, assistant coach with the Rams, and all of his Tennessee Titan teams. He played with a chip on his shoulder all the time, and the teams he has coached play the same way. If anybody can turn the Rams around, it's Jeff Fisher, and I think he will do it faster than most people might think. What is your sense on this? P.S. How refreshing it is to finally have some people in charge that know how to draft.

WAGONER: I think it's been fairly evident from the day he got here that's he's been trying to get this team to play that exact way. We'll see how it translates but certainly, he's made it clear what is expected.

That looks like that'll do it for today and for awhile here on the chat. I'm going to take a little hiatus from this for a few weeks since most of the action has died down. I'll be back in the week before training camp starts, possibly even a week earlier than that. But for at least the next three weeks, I hope you all take care.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You are obsessed with McD, LOL.

Thanks for posting.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
McD....

Whenever I see Daniel Tosh, I'm reminded of McD. They look just alike to me. However, I don't believe they share the same opinion of Tebow.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSRiz52exk[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ha! Josh.0 :sly:

You gotta love Daniel Tosh though - COMPLETELY politically incorrect, but funny as hell.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:

You gotta love Daniel Tosh though - COMPLETELY politically incorrect, but funny as hell.

Oh shit,,, Josh.0 That does it...

They're one in the same now. LOL

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:

I know. I watch his show and laugh and later feel like I should go tebowing.