Wagoner chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick's Mailbag

Tuesday, May 29
http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1675?a_id=2

ramprint, Medford, Oregon
12:33 PM CT
Hi Nick. I read the article about Quick staying late to catchup. Is he completely caughtup? With the staying late factor I was wondering if you noticed any other players staying late and working on the little things? My 3rd question is if you have noticed any great things happening for the O-line? That is my biggest concern this year. Thanks again for everything Nick.

WAGONER: He is caught up in terms of the two OTAs he missed. That doesn't mean he's fully settled and comfortable in the offense, just that he'll be on a level playing field when OTAs resume next week. Quick definitely not the only one staying after practice. A lot of guys do it at different times. Givens did the same thing as Quick last week after they returned. Daryl Richardson, a lot of the rookies. On the O line, again, I just can't give you any type of good scouting report. With no pads on, it's just really difficult to evaluate any of that kind of thing.

Neil G, La Puente, Ca
12:35 PM CT
Hi Nick, Any news of the Rams bringing in more talent in free agency? And do you think our defensive line needs more depth, especially @ defensive tackle? Thanks Nick.

WAGONER: I don't forsee any more moves imminent on free agent front. Doesn't mean there won't be but there's not a whole lot available right now. I think the Rams like what they have on the D line. They have three DT's they have to feel good about in Langford, Brockers and Laws. Then you'll have a good competition with the youngsters behind them. Remember this name, also, as it's a guy that I think some in the building really like: Matt Conrath. Again, not in pads yet so I can't give you much of a scouting report but I know there were some that were high on him upon signing him post-draft.

Mark, Centralia
12:36 PM CT
Do you think the Rams will continue having training camp in Earth City , or will they look for alternate sites?

WAGONER: I think it will be here for as long as Jeff Fisher is here.

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
12:37 PM CT
Nick, I also hear that the undrafted rookie WR we brought in is tearing it up. Getting separation and making catches. Thanks to your sidelines blog. My question, can this kid really push Pettis, DX and Gibson for that last spot? Thanks

WAGONER: I assume you're referring to Michael Campbell. Yes, he's had some good moments. And let me clarify, he is not an undrafted rookie this year. He was actually on the Jets practice squad for a time last year. As for pushing for a roster spot, I'd say it's probably a stretch at this point but I wouldn't rule anything out. Keep in mind, he's not working with the top offensive units and therefore not facing the top defensive units. But he's had a nice start, let's see where he goes from here.

Gabriel Abarca, Chihuahua, Chih. Mex
12:39 PM CT
Who do you think Nick has impressed you the most so far in the defense and offense(Among the rookies)??

WAGONER: Defense: Janoris Jenkins. He's been one of the most impressive players on the field, period. Not even just amongst rookies. Offense: Brian Quick. Limited sample size but he's been impressive on a number of levels. Givens also. But I can't implore everyone enough to take ALL of those observations with a grain of salt. These OTAs are not a time to make sweeping judgments on ANY players.

12:41 PM CT
So Nick, I got my tickets for week 1 against the lions. You gonna me up and grab a beer with me? I know its $8, but its on me.

WAGONER: I appreciate that offer, Jack but as you know I have working duties during the game. But if you have a tailgate or something set up pregame, let me know, perhaps I can stop by and say hello.

12:41 PM CT
Hey Nick, I read in your sidelines blog that Trumaine Johnson is looking good. Lined up with Quick and broke up some passes. How do the corners look? What are the odds that Johnson gets the third corner role? I still think its Fletch's spot to lose. Thanks

WAGONER: The corners as a group look quite good. I think Jenkins and Finnegan are still the likely top two. The battle for the third spot is interesting. I really think Johnson is going to be in that mix, same for Jerome Murphy and Josh Gordy along with Fletcher. Right now, to be honest, I'd say Fletcher doesn't look fully healthy. I don't know when he'll get back to that but it's got to be a legit concern. Gordy is battling a little injury issue but before that he was playing like he had every intention of being on the field a lot. As I've said before, the competition at cornerback is going to be a lot of fun to watch if everyone is healthy. I also mentioned it in a blog but Kendric Burney is a real sleeper. He's played pretty well in the early going.

Mike A, Godfrey IL
12:44 PM CT
Are there any early numbers on Season ticket sales yet? Are they up or down or the same? Just curious if the changes have affected ticket sales.

WAGONER: I don't have exact numbers but I'm pretty sure that they're around the same from what they have been in recent years.

Mike A, Godfrey IL
12:45 PM CT
I don't know if you saw the story on ESPN or not but they did a survey on NFL team's popularity. The Rams came in at 31, with only Jacksonville being worse. I would say this is primarily due to the organizational dysfunction and pathetic on field results of the past 8-10 years than anything else. The difference between where the Rams were and the top 10 was only 3% so in my opinion winning cures all. Not so much a question here, more looking for your opinion and insight on the topic.

WAGONER: I can't disagree with you Mike. Approval ratings in sports directly correlate to the amount of winning that team does. When this ship turns, a poll like that will bear very different results.

Michael, Providence, RI
12:46 PM CT
Again, thanks for taking our questions. I have a question about Brockers. Will he really be able to start right away? He really didn't play that much college football, and while he is a behemoth, I wonder if it's too much too soon. If he does start right away is he going to be a 3 down DT or will someone rotate in on passing downs?

WAGONER: I absolutely think he starts right away. He's built to help out and stop the run from day one. Now, the 3 down thing will be interesting. There are tools there to make him a good pass rusher but it's going to take a little bit of time. I suspect we'll see Trevor Laws in third down passing situations, at least in the early going.

Michael, Providence, RI
12:47 PM CT
Hi Nick, thanks for taking our questions. My questions is, after seeing OTA and the rookies, does any rookie seem to jump out as someone who might be able to contribute right away? Does any rookie look like someone raw, who might not play the first year, but could become an important player in 2-3 years?

WAGONER: I think Jenkins, Quick and Brockers will absolutely contribute right away. I think all three are veritable shoo ins to start when it's all said and done. Johnson has the goods to help out right away as does Givens though I don't think either will necessarily start right away. As for your second question, I think Watkins is the kind of guy who might take a couple years and then become a starting caliber guard (though it could happen sooner). And I'll add this: Quick, Brockers, Johnson and Givens all will contribute right away but they all also will become much much better given a couple years. That's the way it should be with rookies, in my opinion, anyway.

Steve, Long Island NY
12:52 PM CT
Nick how is the offence line looking, how is the health of the line. We getting all of them back.

WAGONER: As I mentioned previously, can't get much of a feel for the line right now. Making matters more difficult in that area is the fact that Rodger Saffold hasn't been full go yet and Scott Wells has missed some time with an excused absence.

eric, show me state
12:53 PM CT
Good Day Nick, Last week Brockers sat out part of a practice.What was the reason? He said after his first practice the NFL is different than LSU.He is uded to just thumping right away.DT is a tough position for younger players.It's a man's game. I do like the Bikini league though.Coming to an arena soon in St.Louis.

WAGONER: We were told he has some soreness. Remember in OTAs, coaches aren't required to give injury updates so we'll just have to go with that. It doesn't seem to be anything serious.

Mark, Centralia
12:54 PM CT
Is Salas at 100% yet?

WAGONER: Not all the way but he's getting there. He's had some really good moments in the early part of OTAs. Still really like his potential.

Steve, Long Island NY
12:55 PM CT
Nick I read that Sam Bradford has been working out with all the WR, and that he is very inpressed with Quick and not a pon, how quick he is. Are they still working out. when is the next camp. Thanks again for taking our questions.

WAGONER: Only the rookies are here this week doing some conditioning work and such, no OTAs. THe full squad OTAs resume next week and they only have a few more. The final minicamp is June 12-14. After that, it's break time until training camp.

larry, chicago
12:56 PM CT
Hey Nick, there is a lot of conversation regarding Chris Long contract and JL55. Could the Rams franchise Chris's contract this year and pay JL55 this year while making plans to to pay Chris Long a year later if they cannot pay both this year.does that make sense or cut Steven Jackson 7mm, Jason Smith ?mm, Q.Mikell ?mm and anybody else to pay both players.

WAGONER: Both guys are under contract for this year so there's no need to worry about cutting anyone or doing anything. They're fine. The Rams have a boat load of cap room for next year, too. I fully expect both to be signed to long term extensions before they'd ever hit the market. In fact, I think there could be come movement on both of those guys starting next month or in early July.

bob f., pennsylvania
12:57 PM CT
being a asu fan, i am wonderng on the progress of jamaar jarrett. i think he is better suited for olb than de the way he ran the field at asu.

WAGONER: Because they aren't in pads, it's almost impossible for me to give you much of an update in that regard. Honestly, I just don't know how he's doing.

Jeff, Roscoe, IL
12:58 PM CT
Hey Nick! Any idea when the rams will release their 2012 Training Camp schedule?

WAGONER: Probably late June or so.

gábor mózsik, budapest, hungary
12:58 PM CT
What happened to Jason Brown, since being cut? Has he signed with any other team? Also, what do you think was the problem with him last year? I mean, for not getting a second chance, like Jason Smith.

WAGONER: I know he had a couple of visits but I don't believe he signed anywhere. I'm not sure what the problem was, though I think not having an offseason program to keep him in shape probably didn't help.

Mark, Los Angeles
1:00 PM CT
Nick, a couple of weeks ago you dissed my preference of Courtney Upshaw, I believe with the statement, "where the hell would he play in a 4-3." Then Mario gets signed and they are both out of the same mold at 6'3" 270lbs....out of a 3-4. I would note a few differences, Mario is slower and a lot older and from what I researched he was a second teamer except for one decent year out year out of nine. What say you, Nick?

WAGONER: There's a couple of big differences here. First, Haggan has played in a 4-3 before. Second, Upshaw is considered a pure pass rusher and was thought to be a late first, early second round pick. If he were to play LB for the Rams, he'd have been a strong side 'backer and thus been on the field AT MOST 40 percent of the time and playing a position that doesn't utilize his best skill which is rushing the passer. Alternatively, had the Rams drafted Upshaw and placed him at a spot where he could best work as a pass rusher (DE), he'd have been stuck behind Quinn and Long. Again, I ask you, is that worth using a valuable second round pick on when you have so many other needs? Don't get me wrong, I loved Upshaw. In fact, if you go back and look at some of my prospect rankings, I had him right near the top 10. But he just wasn't a scheme fit here.

Joseph Devito, New York
1:03 PM CT
Nick, Bradfords revealation of his still bothersome injury is the most damaging news of this offseason. How in the world did they not know? We had an ideal opportunity to draft a franchise QB which would have went a long way in turning this franchise around. This is not just negativity on my part. This is downright depressing.

WAGONER: It's only the most damaging news of the offseason if you blow it out of proportion. When you come off a serious ankle injury and you are working your way back to health, the ankle is going to be sore when you put pressure on it. That's just the nature of the injury. I suffered serious ankle sprains playing hoops growing up all the time and it takes some time even after it heals for it to feel right again. But it's just some soreness. It's not that big of a deal. Bradford is going to be fine.

eric, show me state 1:05 PM CT
NickThe thank you for posting is back up & running.Thank You for your time as aways. Go Rams.Do you think SJ39 becomes the best Rams RB ever ?? Walter Payton had to wait for his Super Bowl ring with Da Bears.

WAGONER: Statistically, there's a strong chance that Steven Jackson will wind up the best running back in franchise history. Whether he is thought of that way will be in the eye of the beholder. But I'll say this, if he's in that conversation with Marshall Faulk and Eric Dickerson, that's one heck of a career.

jj, reno nv
1:07 PM CT
Nick, I've been reading this this new offevsive system has a lot of west coast roots. And is fairly similar to the one that Shurmur had in place. If so is Sam and some of the other vets picking it up fairly quickly. If this system is fairly similar I look forward to Sam's be very successful and his nay sayers eating crow. ty Go Rams

WAGONER: There are some concepts very similar to Shurmur's offense. It seems Sam and Co. are starting to get the hang of it. I mentioned last week in the blog that it appeared the offense was starting to find some rhythm.

Eileen Jones, St, Charles Missouri
1:07 PM CT
I just have to let you know that William Hayes is unbelievable! My 12 year old son, Cleveland, was outside practicing in his new cleats, pads and helmet. Mr. Hayes saw him in the yard on his way by and stopped to talk to him and tell him how he used to do the same thing when he was younger. My son's a die hard football fan, plays for the Boys and Girls Club of St. Charles, loves the game and can't wait for conditioning and practice to start next week. He is the only 7th grader invited to participate in the high school summer program. That's the kind of love of the game this kid has, For Mr. Hayes just to randomly take time out of his night and stop was amazing in itself, but truly made my son's "football life" even more spectaclar. Please let the ownership and management know what a phenomenal person they have added to Rams team! Thank You, Mr. Hayes!!

WAGONER: That's a great story, Eileen. Thanks for sharing.

jj, reno
1:08 PM CT
Nick, i was wondering how salas and lance k were doing i havn't heard much about either lately.

WAGONER: Both are doing just fine. Salas is rounding back into shape. Kendricks looks very solid.

Frank Dully, Boston
1:08 PM CT
Nick ever seen or played golf with Sam Bradford? I hear he is REALLY good!

WAGONER: I've done neither. But yes, apparently he's something close to a scratch golfer. I think Sam is one of those guys you hate because he's just good at everything he does.

eric, show me state
1:09 PM CT
Nick,How much Virgina influence does Chris Long have with the Rams.Bradford wearing a jacket & 2 players UDFA in Matt Conrath & the safety ?

WAGONER: Haha, I don't think Chris had much to do with signing the players but I'm sure he had everything to do with Sam wearing a jacket. He and Bradford have a good relationship.

dolf, Bothell Wa.
1:11 PM CT
Did the Rams sign Johnny Hekker to a $500,000 contract?

WAGONER: If Hekker makes the team, I am pretty sure he'll get the rookie minimum which for 2012 is $390,000. I believe he got a $10,000 signing bonus as well.

Don Riley , New Jersey
1:12 PM CT
Nick............What's your favorite football Movie ????? I'm going Old School with "Brian's Song".

WAGONER: Brian's Song? What, you like to challenge yourself to see how dusty it can get in the room before your eyes start watering? That's a really good one, actually. I'd probably have to go with, in no order, Heaven Can Wait (my guy Mr. Jack Snow is in it, it has to be near the top of the list), Remember the Titans and I actually also really liked Invincible. One that is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me because it came out during my high school days was Varsity Blues.

Blaine, montana
1:16 PM CT
Hey nick i was reading on nfl.com that sam bradford said his ankle wasnt 100%. That injury happened 7 months ago. This concerns me. How does he look in the ota's? Will he be ready when the season rolls along? I believe in Sam and hope he can recover

WAGONER: He looks good and the ankle doesn't seem to bug him when he's playing. I think it's more of a post-practice soreness which is normal. I have no doubt he'll be fine when it's time for the season to start.

eric, show me state
1:17 PM CT
Nick--What is the coaching staffs thinking with Pettis & his 4 game suspension ? Was that served last year ? I saw he was taking #1 reps in the begining of OTA's. Fisher seems so much like a great players coach.Darell Sutter is pulling of a great feat with the LA Kings ! Go Rams (Kings) Go.

WAGONER: Pettis has two games left on his suspension. We'll see how he fits into the competition in training camp. The Rams technically don't have to make a decision on him until that suspension is over.

1:18 PM CT
Nick, Im really tired of all the haters. So many articles I read say the Rams will finish in the bottom of the NFC West. We easily have the best secondary in the division, and arguably the best defensive line. Our offense is rounding into shape and we can easily sweep the hawks and cards. We can be second easily in the division. Thoughts?

WAGONER: I understand your frustration but I'm sure you can also understand why people want to see the Rams make strides before buying in. 15-65 is 15-65. That said, I think there are a lot of reasons for optimism moving forward in this new regime.

Don Riley , New Jersey
1:19 PM CT
Interesting that Brian Schottenheimer (sp ?) and Kellen Clemmens (sp?) are being reunited with the Rams. When Clemmens came out of Oregon. Ron Jaworski said he felt Kellen was as good a prospect as Jay Cutler (who came out the same year). Then Clemmens found himself the starter with Jets in his second year. That due to an injury to Chad Pennington. And Clemmens played "pretty well". That on a bad Jets team (that year) with offensive line problems . The next year the Jets got Brett Favre and everything and anything that went wrong (was Kellen's fault). He became the Jet who was blamed for everything. Oddly enough last year Brian Shottenheimer became the Jet who was blamed for everything. Shot was blamed for the running games falters, the passing games problems and anything that the Jets did wrong was "Shots fault". Anyway..........................is there any chance Kellen cam become the Rams number two quarterback ? The guy has a great arm and deserves a real chance. He needs a confidence builder after being battered from pillar to post by Jet Fans (who haven't had a Super Bowl appearance since 1969).

WAGONER: I fully expect Clemens to be the No. 2 QB for the Rams barring some addition or change that hasn't been made yet.

Neil G, La Puente, Ca
1:20 PM CT
Hi Nick, Do the first team and second team offense and defence practice both at the same time at opposite sides of the field or do they alternate on the field during practice sessions? Ty.

WAGONER: They always alternate. In team drills, everybody is congregated at one spot on the field and they can rotate guys in that way.

Eric, PHX AZ
1:23 PM CT
Nick, who's taking the NBA Title?

WAGONER: I'm pulling for the Thunder but I just don't see anyone beating the Spurs in a seven game series. It's absolutely amazing what that group is doing right now. I thought the Duncan-Pop era ended last year but they just continue to re-invent and rejuvenate themselves. Parker has had one of his greatest seasons quietly, Ginobili is still the most unique player in the league and Duncan has found the fountain of youth. Add in a very deep team with defined roles and I just don't see how anybody is beating them. I do think the Thunder will push them in this series but I have a hard time seeing Miami or Boston beating San Antonio.