Wagoner chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick's Mailbag
Tuesday, May 15.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1673?a_id=2

Arturo, Tampico, Mexico
12:31 PM CT
Hello Nick; Thank you for taking my question/comment. I feel like we are guided in the right path under Snead/Fisher I am excited to watch them work. And a good sample is the UFA that signed with us, You have made some good reports on several of them and I pick one think... They are quality people and they want to play for an excellent staff of coaches. We did not have that kind of perception on recent past seasons. Do you think the same?

WAGONER: It seems like a really good class of UDFAs. Too early to throw rose petals at their feet but they all seem like good guys and there are some good football players in that group too.

Mike A, Godfrey IL
12:32 PM CT
Can we expect video clips of all the rookies, or is Brian Qucik special.

WAGONER:
I believe that there are more on the way as we go through OTAs.

Mike A, Godfrey IL
12:33 PM CT
If you would give us first impressions of the coaching staff. How they work, what's they're style, how they interact with the players...are they screamers and yellers or more precise and controlled.

WAGONER:
They all seem to be very hands on, showing the players things, very detail oriented. I haven't seen much screaming and yelling. They seem to be motivating but doing it in a way that teaches the players something. I've said this before: most of these guys are very comfortable in their own skin and it's evident on the field.

Pam , Boise
12:34 PM CT
Hello Nick! If the defensive line were; Long, Langford, Brockers, and Quinn who would most likely be the backups? On the defense it seems like we are deep everywhere except for the tackles and ends. The defense looks to be a force, and the way the team has had the injury bug lately we need depth. I guess the linebackers need depth too. Thanks Nick!

WAGONER: The backups right now look something like this: DT: Laws, Scott, Cudjo, Conrath DE: Hayes, Sims, J. Smith, S. Smith Remember, Hayes and Laws were signed as veteran backups, both should provide quality depth.

fred, boise
12:36 PM CT
hey Nick! there has been alot of talk about the new cornerbacks Jenkins and Johnson. are they as smooth as reports have them to be? and how well did they cover the rookie wide recievers in the rookie camp? thanks Nick!

WAGONER: They both looked pretty smooth in rookie minicamp but remember to take those small sample sizes with a grain of salt. I was particularly impressed with Jenkins, though. Just completely fluid in everything he does.

Pam, Boise
12:38 PM CT
Hello Nick! With all the changes that have taken place is there an urgency to be just competitive or win? To me it's like Fisher would prefer to have all the tools in place before making a legitimate run for the Super Bowl? Go Rams!

WAGONER: Absolutely there is an urgency to win, that's what this business is all about. The Rams hired Jeff Fisher for that reason and every move made since has been to that end. Look, Jeff Fisher and Les Snead know full well that this is going to be a process and reaching the Super Bowl is probably going to take some time. But in the meantime, they want to and believe they can win games.

ASSANTE, NEVADA
12:40 PM CT
IT IS EITHER FEAST OR FAMINE AS ALL OF SUDDEN WE HAVE A SLEW OF WRS.HOW MANY WILL THE RAMS KEEP ON THE ACTIVE TEAM ??

WAGONER: Probably six.

Scott, Lake Elsinore CA
12:41 PM CT
Been a Ram fan since I was born. I heard the so called experts give the rams a C grrade in the draft. I though they had the best draft of any team they addressed every need with quality players, and think Jenkins and Quick have a chance to superstars. My question is how have they looked in the rookie mini camp and is Quick ready to be number 1 guy or are they gonna bring him along slowly like they did Quinn last season?

WAGONER: Don't even bother looking at grades and I mean that whether they are good or bad. I've seen some that have given the Rams an 'A' and some that give them a 'C' but they both mean the same thing: nothing. As for Quick, he's going to be very involved in the offense. I expect him to start and contribute. But like I've said before, I think it's wise to take the long view with him. He's going to help in the here and now but his ultimate value will come down the road a couple years.

Don Riley , New Jersey
12:43 PM CT
I read an article by Gil Brandt. He stated that the Rams UDFA players were Number One. The best looking bunch of the lot in the NFL. He had Dennis from Duke as the premier player. Hope he's right. Overall, Nick. So far (I know its been limited). But, does this look like the best class of UDFA's you've seen ?? --- I mean are there alot of great atheletes in the bunch ? So far ? At a glance ?

WAGONER: I can't go that far because I haven't seen enough of them but I think it's probably going to be the case. I'll say this, too: I wouldn't be at all surprised if five or six of these guys make the final roster.

Bill, Grayson
12:44 PM CT
I wanted to know what you think about Joe Long. I watched him in a college all-star game and was impressed. I think he has some potential to start done the road. Thanks Nick.

WAGONER:
I wish I could give you an impression of him but for all of the linemen it's nearly impossible to judge based on a minicamp with no pads. Sorry.

Don Riley , New Jersey
12:45 PM CT
I watched some of the UDFA's on the net. Have to say Alex Ellis - Hoffman looks like an awful good player for somebody who wasn't drafted. Great tackler. And what strikes you. Is that on the Washington State Defense, he didn't seem like he was surrounded by anything much. He was a standout without much support. You also mentioned Sammy Brown of Houston. There's quite alot of him on the net - also. Have these guys shown anything much - yet ? I have to say I'm really pulling for Ellis - Hoffman. Really like the guy ! (Although I never heard of him untill last week )

WAGONER: Both Brown and Hoffman seem to move around pretty well and have some good instincts. Hard to gauge them, too because they weren't in pads but there is a level of athleticism evident with both guys.

Travis, Lake ozarks
12:46 PM CT
Any word on long term deal for our boy Chris long? I feel he's not even reached his potential and had 13 sacks last year while facing the run as teams ran out the clock. Also, how'd givens do at rookie camp this weekend? I feel that he was a great pick and can really be an explosive deep threat. Thanks for your time

WAGONER: Nothing on Long right now. I do expect those discussions to start in the next couple of months, though. Givens looked fast, really fast. And he's got more bulk to him than people might imagine. He has game breaking deep speed, of that there is no doubt.

Steve, Long Island NY
12:46 PM CT
Nick when is the next time the team gets back to work on the field. I like what is happing with the team looks this maybe a good year ahead.

WAGONER: They just finished up OTA No. 1. There are two more this week and three next week, 10 total. Then a final full squad minicamp June 12-14.

Steve, Long Island NY
12:48 PM CT
Nick how was mini camp any real stand outs. Anybody steal the steal the show.

WAGONER: Easier to judge the skill guys. Jenkins looked outstanding, potentially the best player on the field. But the drafted RBs, the undrafted safeties, the drafted WRs and the drafted CBs all had nice moments.

JJ, Brooklyn
12:51 PM CT
Any chance Rams take a shot with S Chad Jones?

WAGONER: Not that I'm aware of.

Brent, Fresno, CA
12:52 PM CT
Any word on what Rich Snead's capacity will be with the team?

WAGONER: Nothing official yet but he's likely to have an important position on the personnel side. He's actually been around for a while.

JJ, Brooklyn
12:53 PM CT
Hey nick I am big fan of both Fletcher and Murphy but just out of curiosity what are some similarities and differences in their size, speed, quickness, ect. and, they way they play. For example they both come across to me as nice size corners who are happy and capable to come up and make some tackles can you elaborate some more please....Sticking with the secondary do you see our saftey's set with Mikell and Stewart? I read this Def scheme not only likes the saftey's to come up and contribute in the run game but also likes to have a ball hawk back there ...I'm assuming you would look for that in your FS more then your SS and as much as I like Stewart he does not seem to fit that mold to me, I am wrong? Can that possibly lead fisher to switching T. Johnson or J. Murphy to FS considering they can both tackle and would probably have better ball skills considering they are basically true corners?

WAGONER: On Murphy and Fletcher, both are bigger corners with the skills to be solid in press man coverage. I'd say Fletcher is a bit stickier and smoother in coverage while Murphy is more of a hard nosed guy who will come up and hit someone with great authority. Both will be valuable pieces moving forward. At safety, Mikell is more of your back end type and Stewart is more likely to play up in the box. Remember, too, that Stewart was the discovery of the previous regime. Nothing is guaranteed for him there. Dahl could get another long look back there as well. I've asked around about one of the corners potentially moving to safety and it doesn't seem like an option right now. That could change based on what the coaches see in the coming weeks but as we sit here right now, it doesn't look like it will.

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
12:56 PM CT
Hey Nick, when do teams start making their roster cuts? Thanks

WAGONER: We are a LONG way from that. Training camp and three preseason games before the first cuts.

Will, Tallahassee
12:56 PM CT
Does the team seem set with who they have at the RB position or do you think they will pick up a veteran to compete with Pead?

WAGONER: I don't think a veteran is completely out of the question but the Rams are high on Pead and Richardson. I think both ultimately provide the depth behind Jackson.

12:57 PM CT
Hey Nick, what do you think about undrafted rookies LB Alex Hoffman Ellis and S Matt Daniels? Of all the undrafted guys, these are the two I believe deserved to be drafted. I think they can develop into starters given a couple years. Your thoughts? Thanks

WAGONER: See earlier response on Hoffman. Daniels looks pretty good out there. I wrote about him yesterday so go check that out but he is a very intelligent kid with a knack for bringing the wood. And he didn't look as bad in coverage as some might lead you to believe. He is going to make a strong push for a roster spot and maybe even some playing time, in my opinion.

Philip, Denmark
12:59 PM CT
Hi Nick. I saw we signed a former Jets WR. What do you know about him and is there any chance he makes the team? Who was cut to make room for him?

WAGONER: Nobody was cut, the Rams had a couple of spots on the 90-man roster, he fills one of those. Mike Campbell spent last year on the Jets practice squad. He had some good moments in the minicamp. He'll have a shot to compete but it's fair to say he's a long shot to make the 53.

Paul, Medford, Oregon
1:00 PM CT
Hi again Nick, Do you have any since of when we will start seeing this rookie class getting contracts?

WAGONER: It'll probably be sometime in June, maybe late June. The Rams aren't in a rush and there isn't much need to be in one. Under the new CBA, signing drafted rookies is relatively painless.

Paul, Medford, Oregon
1:01 PM CT
Hey NIck, I wanted to ask if anyone in the rookie class truly stuck out to you this wekend? Also how did the LB Brown out of Houston look?

WAGONER: Brown looked fine. Hard to tell with linebackers but he seems to move pretty well and has some good athletic traits.

Raymond crazyray Reihart, NE Arkansas
1:01 PM CT
What are the chances of my man Brandon (Gibby) Gibson making the final Roster?

WAGONER: He's got a shot. He'll be in the mix competing for a spot.

Joseph Devito, New York
1:02 PM CT
Nick, my negativity about the draft is not based so much on the players we got but more on the fact that we didn't address pressing needs. The linebacking is very thin and again a LT is a huge need. These two positions seem to have been ignored. Also, with Buress available, shouldn't we make every effort to get him? We talk to wide receivers but never get them (Simpson,Manningham etc.)

WAGONER: You don't think the Rams addressed pressing needs? Come on, if the Rams had drafted an OLB or two early in the draft and ignored DT or WR or CB, you'd be complaining they didn't add help at those spots. I wrote multiple times before the draft that the Rams have plenty of needs, needs they might not be able to fill in one draft. Heck, Jeff Fisher said as much the week of the draft. The Rams will continue to keep their eyes open for help at LB. At LT, they like what Saffold can do and believe that with an offseason in the weight program and Coach Boudreau coaching him up, he can be just fine over there. I don't see Burress being pursued.

Robert, Highlands Ranch, CO
1:05 PM CT
Hey Nick, When does Sammy join the fray? Have you seen him throw recently? How's he looking?

WAGONER: He was in attendance at the OTA today. He looks great. He's been flinging it well and seems fully healthy.

Ken, Anaheim
1:09 PM CT
Nick, Can you give us an up date later on how the OLine is looking. I know it's early, but interested in how both tackles are doing. thanks

WAGONER: I absolutely will after we get a longer look at them.

Robert, Highlands Ranch, CO
1:11 PM CT
Hey Nick, I know it is way early and off season work has only just begun. In any event, how did Givens and Quick look this past week?

WAGONER: Quick looked good, very smooth, especially on Saturday. He was a bit more polished than I expected, he's only going to get better. See earlier response on Givens.

jj, reno
1:17 PM CT
nick from what im hearing is that Quick is ahead of where most thought he would be coming from a D2 school. Is this the case and if so is there a chance hes a day starter. tnx go rams.

WAGONER: Not sure I'd say ahead but he's a bit a more polished than expected. I do expect him to start day one.

1:18 PM CT
Hey Nick, what do you think about signing Rocky McIntosh? With him our defense would be complete. On the line-Quinn,Brockers, Langford, and Long. Dunbar, Laurinaitis and McIntosh at LB, Mikkel and Stewart at S, with Finnegan, Jenkins and Fletcher at CB. Isn't that scary? Thanks

WAGONER: Don't think McIntosh is of interest but keep your eye out for a new addition at OLB, could be announced very soon.

larry, chicago
1:20 PM CT
Hey Nick great job on Rams coverage but please let the Rams fan know to be patience this year and don't fizzle when they lose games cause they Will. you have learn to crawl before you can walk. tell them to look at CHRIS LONG as the example. his first year was a waste/bust (crawling) , second year pretty good( signs of walking ) the third year ( running like a champ) .

WAGONER: I'll let you tell 'em, Larry.

Futureramsgm, st.louis mo
1:20 PM CT
I feel a BIGGER (220LBS. OR BETTER) back should be pursued. THOUGHTS?

WAGONER: Steven Jackson not big enough?

Josh, Iowa
1:21 PM CT
Hey Nick, how are you? I don't know if you saw this but on nfl.com they had an article about the top 6 nfl throwback unis of all time. The blue & yellow LA Rams were #1 on the list and "probably the best uniform in NFL history." They also considered the Blue & Whites. I know you've heard it before, but I would love to see a change back to either of those, and that seems to be a pretty widespread opinion. Do you think this will happen eventually? Hopefully it doesn't coincide with a move back to LA.

WAGONER: I think it's a possibility but it won't happen for a few years if it does.

Ryan William, youngstown,ohio
1:23 PM CT
How you doing nick? I see the team going young on all position and i see us being pretty set at everything position except OL do is there any vet guard you see u targeting

WAGONER: There is another vet I'd keep an eye on being added. Stay tuned.

1:24 PM CT
I meant a bigger back behind Jackson.

WAGONER: Will never say never but don't think that's something the Rams are necessarily in the market for right now.

Doug Lawslo, Lake Havasu City, AZ
1:25 PM CT
I've been seeing many so-called experts giving the Rams a low grade on this draft. The players taken this year notwithstanding; this draft netted us an extra first round pick over the next two years. It'll be five years before anyone can really pass judgment on what this draft produced. I think the benefits from this year's draft have barely begun. Barring some miracle in D.C. this season; I think we'll have at least one top ten pick (hopefully not ours) next year. Your thoughts?

WAGONER: It's always best to take the wait and see approach with any draft. But it is fair to count the trade down with Washington into it as well. Certainly, the Rams are well positioned for the next couple years.

1:26 PM CT
You said look out for a new addition of LB but dont you see us going with our current group of young LB's such as the two browns, ellis thats not bad?

WAGONER: There's room for plenty of youngsters but the Rams want to add a veteran as well. And they have, just waiting for paperwork to be finished.

Luna, El Paso Texas
1:27 PM CT
Looking at who they play this year and with a very good draft and the free agents they signed, I could see them winning 6 to 8 games. What do you think?

WAGONER: I don't do predictions on won-loss record, especially in May.

Brian, Jacksonville, MO
1:28 PM CT
What minicamp "battle" are you most excited about? I really want to see what receivers end up making the team.

WAGONER: Lots of good ones. I don't think there's a huge battle in terms of roster spots at CB but I'm very curious to see how the depth chart shakes out there.

1:29 PM CT
Are the rams satisfied at wr? or will they get more size/speed guys in later? maybe off waivers?

WAGONER: I think they like what they have now. But let's remember there are 9 OTAs and a full minicamp left before they come back in July. The Rams coaches need that time to know what they have. They could revisit ANY position after that if they are unsatisfied with what's in place. But remember, not much out there right now.

Neil Gonzalez, L.A.

[/b][/color] 1:31 PM CT
Hi Nick, Thanks for all you do for us Ram fans! As far as your observation with the rookie orientations, what grade would you give the rookie class if you had to grade them and what do you think our special teams will look like? Are they going to good?

WAGONER: No grades from me.

1:31 PM CT
So since there is a addition of LB what about safeties? The team is thin at and it seems fisher likes competition?

WAGONER: I don't know of anything imminent there. I do think the Rams are high on Daniels and McLeod as undrafted guys back there.

1:32 PM CT
Is there any June 1 cut on the team that we are waiting on their money?

WAGONER: The days of the June 1 cuts are pretty much dead. Teams just don't do that as much as they used to because contracts are built different now.

Scott, Los Angeles
1:32 PM CT
hi Nick, I'm a huge fan of James Laurinaitis and cant help but think that the upgrades at both the D Line and having agressive corners is really going to free him up in the middle. I really looking forward to watching him play in Fisher's scheme this year.

WAGONER: I agree. Laurinaitis could be in for a big year for those and other reasons.

1:33 PM CT
Love your insights and info but what can you tell me about mike campbell is he a guy we should look out for in sense of making the roster or its just a sense for the wr to step their games up?

WAGONER: I don't know what else there is to say. He came to minicamp on a tryout basis. He showed enough to get signed to the 90-man roster. It's probably a long shot for him to make the final 53. They added another body to compete there.

Mark, Los Angeles
1:34 PM CT
How's it going Nick? I've stayed away from posting a question out of frustration of last season but I've been keeping up with your Q/A, great service by the way. Regarding Joseph Devito's comments last week regarding the draft, I feel better about this year's draft than the last 6 and that includes Bradford with a #1 a few years ago. But I would not have traded down to 14 and any day of the week I would trade these four guys for the 5 the Rams got. Floyd at 6, bigger faster and stronger than Blackmon. Courtney Upshaw, a top LB in the draft and this is the guy everybody is going to regret not taking. Cordy Glen with the second #2, big strong guard who can slide over to T. Finally Jerel Worthy with the third round pick. The guy is not quite as big but I think he will have a bigger impact in the NFL than Brockers. I watched Brocker hilights and what I see is a baby huey adam carriker there. I am also a little disappointed the rams used two of their first five picks on planned backups at corner and RB,,,,What say you on my four players?

WAGONER: If you look at Brockers and think Carriker, I just don't know what there is to tell you. Completely different player and guys that played different positions in college. I'm not going to go back and play the what if game. I know the Rams didn't like Floyd more than the WR they took in round 2 (Quick). I know they had Brockers as one of the top 8 players in the draft (much higher than Worthy), I have no idea where you think Upshaw was going to play in a 4-3 defense and I know the Rams didn't view Glenn as that much of a difference maker to use a high second round pick on him.

Ed, hawaii
1:37 PM CT
sorry,need a refresher... how many extra picks total did the Rams receive for moving back twice in the fist round, and how many picks do they have in the first two rounds of next years draft? thanks

WAGONER: To recap: In exchange for moving from No. 2 to No. 6, the Rams got: a second rounder this year and a first in each of the next two years. To move down from No. 6 to No. 14 the Rams: got a second round pick this year which they then traded down with Chicago to No. 50 for a fifth round pick this year. If you want to look at it in terms of what they have received already for that pick: CB Janoris Jenkins, RB Isaiah Pead and G Rokevious Watkins. You'll be able to add Washington's two first rounders to that when all is said and done.

1:40 PM CT
Do you see us on the DL taking probably 4 DT and 5 DE since Fisher love pass rushers

WAGONER: Hard to say since I haven't seen how he prefers to build his roster yet. Could be just 4 and 4 but my guess is one of those two spots will have another body.

1:41 PM CT
Braylon Edwards is not of interest?

WAGONER: Not that I know of.

1:42 PM CT
Nick, can u throw us a hint on this new OLB? Possibly a first initial? Something we can look into? Thanks

WAGONER: Think Rockies.

Scott, Los Angeles
1:42 PM CT
Hello Nick, hope all is well today. What is the status of all the players that were injured last year. Are they all basically healed? thanks for taking our questions.

WAGONER: Most everybody is fully cleared to go. Bradley Fletcher is one that is still limited and I believe Salas is too though not as much. For the most part, everybody is cleared at full speed.

Lee, Huntington Beach
1:43 PM CT
Nick, Does Matt Daniels look as good in person as he does on tape? This guy could be a real winner. What are your thoughts?

WAGONER: No but it's hard to look the same when one shows you a guy just bringing the wood all over the place and the other he doesn't have pads on.

1:43 PM CT
how far of a long shot is DX? do you know if the new regime is impressed with him at all? who are your personal top six recievers? are we in need of size/speed wrs or are they satisfied with what they have? thanks! one more thing, our defense is looking scary now! thoughts about that as well would be great as well!

WAGONER: I don't think he's a huge long shot. He's got a chance just as much as anyone. Right now, you'd have to think Quick, Givens and Amendola are pretty safe. That could leave up to three spots left at WR from a group that includes DX, Salas, Smith, Gibson and Pettis.

1:45 PM CT
Hi Nick. When get signed to the 90-man roster, what kind of compensation does a player get. Can you give us an insight in what goes on and what's the difference between that and a contract?

WAGONER: Well, the undrafted rookies and such at the bottom of the 90 man roster sign contracts that would pay them the minimum should they make the team, they can also get a signing bonus. Remember, guys only get paid salary during the 17 weeks of the season. So for instance, undrafted rookies get a signing bonus (at the discretion of the team) and then get a stipend until they make the team. If they are on the roster week 1, they begin receiving the weekly checks which is 1/17th of the rookie minimum salary.

1:48 PM CT
Clark Haggans??? Went to Colorado State. Colorado Rockies

WAGONER: You are REALLY close, to the point where it's kind of funny. But just a bit off.

matt Johnson, New York
1:49 PM CT
Good day Nick. Hope you treat your mom real special on mothers day. But Hope you answer my question. What can You tell me about the OL and the addition of the undrafted rookies do they look solid and is there any hidden gem that is gem and do you see a person with a better run blocking have an advantage over a pass blocker since we be running a lot and i also notice that bradford like to roll out and quick throws so i see us doing much better. Thanks lots

WAGONER: I wish I could give you more insight into the undrafted rookie OL's but I haven't even seen them in pads yet. Would be unfair to draw any conclusions on them without at least seeing what they look like with the pads on.

1:50 PM CT
You saying its Joey Porter? Also from Colorado State? Closer?

WAGONER: You're getting colder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That Wagoner sure is a talkative chap. :yeh:

Thanks for posting.

WAGONER: Most everybody is fully cleared to go. Bradley Fletcher is one that is still limited and I believe Salas is too though not as much. For the most part, everybody is cleared at full speed.

I hope Fletcher makes it through the season unscathed. The dude deserves a break (no pun intended).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, thanks for posting these, zn. Much appreciated.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cool - AGAIN!!! :sly:

So I wonder who the LB is going to be. Also some veteran help on the OL - eh?

Thanks for posting man.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The linebacker he was talking about was Mario Haggan. Looking back, it is pretty funny.

:lmao: