Wagoner Chat Highlights: Still For Watkins, Shaun Hill Likely QB2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—I’m still a believer in landing Watkins. Again, that’s just my belief and I also think Robinson, Matthews or Clowney would be great picks, too. Also, yes, I believe it’s possible they could move down and land an OT and potentially move up. But I’m not sure they’d want to move up for Evans because I don’t know what they think of him at this point.

—I do wonder how much value Fisher/the Rams put on the safety position. I’m skeptical they’d take a safety at 13, especially since there’s no Earl Thomas or Eric Berry out there.

—I believe they’d like to have a veteran AND a drafted rookie. I’d still be surprised if they don’t strike a deal with Shaun Hill even though he completed his visit yesterday without a contract.

—They claim they would only add a WR if he can be a clear upgrade over what they have. I’m not convinced any of the vets out there now represent that.

—I am a believer that spending big money in free agency is not the way to go so I do think the approach in that regard has been fine. However, I did expect them to be in on more mid-level FAs, especially after getting a break with Saffold (in terms of getting him back). They don’t seem to have much urgency to add to the secondary, especially, which makes me wonder if they don’t really see the issues that everyone else does. The short answer to your question is this year, this should be the year the youth movement needs to be tempered with veterans a bit. They don’t have to go sign 10 veterans or anything but I’d think a vet for the secondary, a veteran backup QB and maybe another O-lineman with some experience would be reasonable, would it not?

—Rams Ratings of the OT’s? I wish I knew that answer but they don’t give me access to their board or ratings. I do know they like Lewan quite a bit.

—I’m starting to wonder if 13 will be an easier spot to move out of than 2. What if, for example, one of those three quarterbacks is still on the board at 13?

—They want to upgrade the depth inside on the D-line. They are pleased with Langford and Brockers. They can upgrade over Cudjo and Conrath and take some of the pressure off Hayes and Sims having to play inside so much.

—The idea is for them to upgrade the quality of the No.2 QB they have behind Bradford. The hope is that whoever that is can be a good backup and potentially challenge Bradford at some point but let’s be honest, if they really wanted someone to push Bradford or have a QB competition, they’d be drafting one in the first round. They remain committed to Bradford as the starter. It’s not about pushing him as much as it is providing better depth. If whoever that is eventually can push Bradford, it’s a bonus.

—I think there’s a real chance that things look more like 2011 when one QB ended up going very high (Cam Newton at No. 1) but then teams starting loading up on others and then the rest of the top QBs went closer to the 8, 10, 12 range.

—I don’t think a 4th TE is a pressing need, really, since McNeill didn’t play much. They could potentially keep an extra WR or another position if they choose. I will say this: the team likes practice squad TE Justice Cunningham.

—If they don’t take someone they believe can be that true No. 1 type WR, they might as well not take one. That isn’t to say another guy can’t develop into one but what have we seen so far from the development of the current young WRs to make us think one of them can develop into that type of wideout?

—They can carry six WRs and they actually did at the end of the year when Austin was injured. If they parted with one, my guess is Pettis would be in the most danger based on last year’s playing time and how things were trending at the end of the year.

—Manziel at #13? I don’t see it. Personally, I’d be intrigued by it and would think the conversation needs to happen. But my opinion doesn’t count. I don’t see them using a first-round pick on any QB. I will say, wouldn’t Manziel still being on the board at that point make for potential trade down possibilities?

—I don’t get the impression the Rams are all that interested in any of the safeties out there in free agency.

–The lack of interest in corners and safeties is puzzling to me. That isn’t to say they needed to go sign a Byrd or even a Verner, I can understand not making a move on either but they couldn’t find a lower-cost option like a Tarell Brown or someone to help at CB? Head scratcher.

—Play Robinson at LG? I could see it working. There are eventual top notch left tackles who have started their careers at guard.

—I do think the Rams have some interest in bringing Dahl back cheaper. That may not play out until he’s fully healed but it remains a possibility.

—I think one of those top CBs is a better value at 13 than either of the two safeties even though safety might be the more pressing need. I don’t know how the Rams view that but based on their actions, they don’t seem all that concerned about CB. As for the safeties you mention, I personally think a guy like Ward isn’t far behind Dix or Pryor,but that’s just my opinion.

—Wells played pretty well when healthy. Barnes held up OK but struggled against the NFC West opponents. I think Wells is the expected starter and the Rams continue to bring Barnes along. The only money that Wells would still count against the cap is the $2 million remaining on his signing bonus. That’s $1 million this year and $1 million next year, which would be accelerated to this year if he was released.

—I don’t think the Rams are willing to overpay for someone on a one-year deal to keep them from visiting elsewhere. I think the Rams are being patient and the players are being patient. I don’t get the feeling any substantial trades are coming.

—I will say this, with Saffold in the mix, you have an athletic, powerful, pulling type of guard which means if you wanted to, you could go for a bigger, more physical type like Jackson to complement him on the other side. Su’a Filo would be a similar type but there’s nothing wrong with that either because of the many things you could do with that duo’s athleticism. There’s no right or wrong way to build an O-line so just landing the best option possible makes the most sense.

Read More Wagoner Highlights

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with what he said about the QBs falling. I also agree that given the depth of this draft moving out of 13 may be much easier than moving off of two.