Wagoner Chat Highlights: No on Britt, Donald, Mack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner’s Chat Highlights

—The Rams have said repeatedly they don’t want to add someone unless they believe that player is BETTER than what they have because they don’t want to take reps away from young guys who need it. Britt has been injury plagued and had major off the field issues. It’s not worth getting in a tizzy about a visit but I think signing Britt would be a bad decision.

—Donald at #13? No. I’d be very surprised if Donald is in play for the Rams.

—Dunbar is back. Don’t think Mack is too likely. Didn’t before, less so now.

—Price Tag on Saffold? It came in right about where I expected it to, perhaps a little higher. But the OL market was pretty weak and prices went up a bit as you can see from Chris Williams’ deal. It’s risky given his injury history but I think it’s a risk worth taking given Saffold’s upside at guard and the Rams’ pressing line needs.

—2 O-linemen in 1st round? I’d be surprised if they went that far but I like the idea. I’m a fan of Martin and pairing him with one of the top tackles plus Saffold really gives you a nice nucleus moving forward. Still, I doubt they’d double down there in the first round.

—I’ve thrown out the name Tarell Brown a few times for those paying attention and I think there might be some interest there but it might be one of those things that happens after the first wave of free agency officially ends. There are still some intriguing names out there such as Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Walter Thurmond. I’m not sure the Rams see corner as a pressing need like most of the rest of us do, though.

—Let’s be clear and I hoped this would be obvious from what I’ve written: just because I like Watkins doesn’t mean I think any less of Robinson or Matthews, etc. I think Robinson would be a great pick and I’d have no problem if the Rams went that way (not that they care what I think). Also, those that think one of those top three OTs will be there at 13 are likely kidding themselves. As for Robinson, I choose not to get into the hyperbole of calling someone a future Hall of Famer, etc. His potential is absolutely exciting and well beyond his classmates but it’s not easy to play and excel in the NFL.

—I don’t get the feeling the Rams really love any of the safeties out there in free agency though that could change if the price dropped on someone. Seems like playing with fire to draft one and go with a rookie next to a second-year safety on the back end but we know they don’t fear youth.

—Davin Joseph? Think they’re still interested though his visit ended without signing. No rush there likely. A player like that usually comes in for a visit then will go out and see what else is out there. Then, if the price is right, he can be signed.

—Britt is coming for a visit this weekend. It would suggest that most of what they’ve said publicly about their receivers is not true. I don’t know how it alters draft plans but it would be a head scratcher to me.

—Saffold Safer at OG? I’ve mentioned this before but I think he might. No science behind that but just a theory. He hurt himself out on the edge a few times in the past and I wonder if he’s better protected in the “phone booth.” His sample size is small but injuries weren’t an issue in games he played at guard last year. Maybe it could help.

—Austin? Would expect him to be more productive with a year in the offense under his belt. If they can find ways to open up the offense, it would help.

—I tend to doubt they spend a pick that high on an LB who wouldn’t be on the field that much. Love Shazier, though.

—By all accounts here, Saffold is fine. He said he benched 400 pounds about a week and a half ago.

—OG Gabe Jackson? Like Jackson, maybe my second favorite guard in early study. Would be a mauler in run game. I expect him to go in round 2 or so.

—I like Matthews a lot, too. And I think he gets unfairly pigeonholed as being a “finished product.” But I don’t agree with the idea that you draft solely for “right now, this year.” You draft for the next five years. There’s more risk involved in drafting upside over polish but more reward, too. It’s a fine line to walk.

—It’s not a great safety class top to bottom, especially rangy types. I like Jimmie Ward of NIU but he may not be as rangy as a Clinton-Dix type.

—Stay at #2? I think it’s possible. I’m just not sure the trade market will develop like they want. Don’t get me wrong, I can see them getting some offers but I’m not sold they’ll get an offer they want to do a deal.

—McDonald’s Level of Play? Was hard to get a real read on that because of the injuries but I thought he was mostly just OK. I think he’s got good potential and I think Williams can get a lot out of him for his box safety role.

—Barrett Jones? I think he’ll be in the mix for a job inside but I don’t think they’re writing his name in a starting spot with pen or anything right now.

Read All Chat Highlights

Alan

Legend
Not a very ringing endorsement of Barrett Jones. That's a little disheartening.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Speaking of Gabe Jackson, do we still go OG in round 2 if we draft a T in the top 10?

fearsomefour

Legend
Don't let that bum you out. Jones has not played meaningful football in a long time. It would be foolish to set him as a starter without seeing if his strength gains translate to the field.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
Don't see drafting OL in round 2 unless we trade down and get a 2nd pick in round 2. If we don't trade down - we need best player available - Clowney or Watkins - maybe Mack???

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
How 'bout this?

1.a. Robinson
1.b. Pryor
2.a. Garoppolo
2.b. Jackson
3. Gaines

Alan

Legend
I like 2.b. :)

I also like your priorities on 1.a. and 1.b., just not the players.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I'd love to see them take a QB like Garoppolo in round two. It would make sense to have a quality plan b in place, given the nature of the game.

But... If they really believe Bradford is the guy going forward they won't risk hurting any feelings by drafting a QB that high. It could make negotiations on an extension tough if Bradford's agent feels insulted.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Gabe Jackson is this year's Larry Warford.
A player I'd love to see on the Rams, but that deep down I know won't happen.

Surely there's another developmental WR or DB with off the field issues they can pursue at that spot.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd love to see them take a QB like Garoppolo in round two. It would make sense to have a quality plan b in place, given the nature of the game.

But... If they really believe Bradford is the guy going forward they won't risk hurting any feelings by drafting a QB that high. It could make negotiations on an extension tough if Bradford's agent feels insulted.
I don't think feelings will be that big a deal ,I do think WE could become overly smug in dealings with Sam if we had a Garoppolo level pick in da house .
Either way ,I agree though if you are going QB and you aren't willing to draft him in one of the top three rounds,I have my doubts how well he CAN develop, course if we had Martz on staff,I'd just hand him a 4th rnd pick tell him to rate all the QBs in the draft and get him one to work with ,Josh McCown aught to give Martz more credit for teaching Kurt what Kurt taught him and he finally "got it" when he heard it again when he got to AZ.

nighttrain

Legend
ehhh, he didn't play becuz of injury last year, expecting him to start may be pushing it, backup though, and should be a good one
train

nighttrain

Legend

Surely there's another developmental WR or DB with off the field issues they can pursue at that spot.
Loved Warford, and from what I read he graded out very well at seasons end, if Gabe as good I want him
train

Memphis Ram

Legend

Whenever I watched Warford in college, he dominated people. While Jackson has to size to do so, I don't see the same type of player in him. Maybe an NFL OLine coach can get it out of him.

Alan

Legend
nighttrain talking injury:
ehhh, he didn't play becuz of injury last year, expecting him to start may be pushing it, backup though, and should be a good one

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/oh...c-injury/883b5905-361f-4504-8b3d-8807c9fc8796

One thing that is certain to slow Jones down is the walking boot he wears on his left foot. He ended his career with what was diagnosed as the dreaded lisfranc injury. It required surgery after Alabama's annihilation of Notre Dame in the BCS national championship game on Jan. 7.

The injury and four-month recovery period means he likely won't be able to work out for the NFL scouts at full strength before the draft, April 25-27.

Good morning train! :)
So people constantly talk about how last year was a wash because of his injury. Look at the timeline of the injury and expected recovery period. Unless he suffered a setback that nobody in the media was privy too, he should not have been injured during any part of TC, preseason or the regular season.

I look at the injury excuse with an extremely "jaundiced gaze" (Guild Wars reference).

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Nah- he's not as good as Warford. Xavier Su'a-Filo might be, though.

I'd certainly look at a guard even if we take one of the top two tackles. Robinson/Matthews will be moving to LT next year at the latest (and, given Jake Long's recent injury record, it may well be sooner), so having a plug-and-play guard would still be needed, especially when we take Saffold's injury history into consideration as well.

I'd go:

1a: Matthews (ideally after a small trade down)

If we get stuck at #2, then it has to be Clowney.

1b: Clinton-Dix
2a: Su'a-Filo
2b: Verrett
3: McCarron

That'd do me.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
A bit of clarification:
When I said that Jackson was this years Warford it was mainly referring to the fact that I wanted the Rams to draft Warford last year, as I would like for them to draft Jackson this year.

I'd love it if the Rams had the opportunity to draft Su'a-Filo, but I don't think he'll still be there when they pick in the second round. So Jackson seems like a realistic option.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
—2 O-linemen in 1st round? I’d be surprised if they went that far but I like the idea. I’m a fan of Martin and pairing him with one of the top tackles plus Saffold really gives you a nice nucleus moving forward. Still, I doubt they’d double down there in the first round.

Who? Zach?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'd love it if the Rams had the opportunity to draft Su'a-Filo, but I don't think he'll still be there when they pick in the second round. So Jackson seems like a realistic option.
Or we could acquire an extra second in a trade down from #2 and then trade back up for Su'a-Filo.

That's what I'd try to do, anyway.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Or we could acquire an extra second in a trade down from #2 and then trade back up for Su'a-Filo.

That's what I'd try to do, anyway.

I hate trading up in the first few rounds. Generally I feel like the price is too high.
I don't like Su'a-Filo more than Jackson enough to give up two second rounders to get him.

I may be the only one, but I'm still irritated about what they gave up to draft Austin.
That's just me.