Wagoner Chat Highlights: Nick Still For Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner’s Chat Highlights

—You already know I would take Watkins. I think he’s in the mix for them but I still get the sense that others are ahead of him so he’d be more likely in some sort of trade down scenario.

—I think Watkins is still in play though admittedly the Rams are harder to read this year than they’ve been in the past, especially with that No. 2 pick.

—Watkins vs. Evans? I think Watkins is clearly the better option but that isn’t a commentary on Evans so much as it is Watkins. Evans would be a nice addition and he’d fit the mold as the big, physical type. He’d also require more work and patience than Watkins, in my opinion. The knock I heard from scouts on Evans in Indy was centered on consistency of effort. Watkins plays every down like his cleats are on fire. But I think both could/will be very good pros.

—If Houston passes on Clowney, I think he would be awfully difficult for the Rams to pass on. I also think it would give them their best opportunity for a trade down. Quinn is signed through this year but Rams have a fifth-year option they will almost certainly exercise and they could potentially franchise him the following year. I don’t see why Quinn would be out of the Rams’ price range. If you’re talking about long term, Clowney would be more likely to replace Long than Quinn.

—I’ve been told Matthews can play anywhere on the line though I think it’d be a waste of his pass protection skills to have him somewhere other than tackle. He’d be really good as a right tackle right away, I believe. And though Robinson could play guard right away, it’s no slam dunk that he would.

—Favorite round 2 caliber lineman? Here’s a name to file away: Nevada’s Joel Bitonio.

—There just isn’t any other way I can put it than this: Barring a major setback on the rehab front, Sam Bradford is the starting Rams quarterback in 2014. I hate speaking in absolutes because we all know things can change or happen but this is about as sure a thing as there is when it comes to the Rams right now.

—For the record, I think the Rams like Clinton-Dix. I know they met with him at the combine though I’m not sure if he’s that much of a slam dunk should he last to 13. I do think he’ll be available there.

—Bigger Need: CB or Safety? From their comments, I’d say safety. They believe they have their two starters at CB so the need there is for a nickel, which is important but probably not as much as an every down safety.

—Reid still has an uphill climb just to make the roster. That was true when they signed him and it remains true now. Pinning any hopes on him for a role in 2014 is asking a lot. Also, why would you take Armstrong off special teams? He’s one of the best players they have there.

—Yes, they like both Stacy and Cunningham quite a bit. And Cunningham should be even better this year another year removed from his injury.

—My understanding is that Matt Daniels has made good progress toward a return. I don’t know where he’ll fit in the defense since he and McDonald have similar games but he’s a guy that has always intrigued me if he could stay healthy. It’s a shame he hasn’t been able to. Reynolds’ value is solely on special teams. Any time that’s the case, you’re almost never guaranteed a roster spot.

—Zach Martin? I’m a big fan of Martin. Really like his game and having he and Saffold both would give the Rams a ridiculous amount of versatility on their OL.

—It’s hard not to see them spending a relatively early pick on a safety, I agree. I don’t think it guarantees anything in the first round, though. Other options if it’s not Clinton-Dix or Pryor would include Jimmie Ward, LaMarcus Joyner and Deonne Bucannon, to name a few.

—I’m not a huge fan of Benjamin though I think he does have a lot of potential. To me, you’re getting another big project type of receiver if you go that way.Benjamin is paying a visit to St. Louis as one of the “top 30″ prospect visits.

—You can always find ways to get a talented player like Mack on the field but he’s still a linebacker at his core. In fairness to him, if he’s really that talented then you work to get him out there just like you would if you drafted Clowney. But I don’t get the impression that’s the way the Rams are leaning in this one.

—Everything I’ve been told leads me to believe the Rams will not be pursuing Chris Johnson. However, we also have to be pragmatic about it and look at Jeff Fisher’s history of signing his former Titans. If the price was low enough, I wouldn’t rule out the Rams kicking the tires solely based on that. But my ultimate educated guess is no, the Rams will not be adding Chris Johnson.

Read Complete Chat Highlights