Wagoner Camp Report - Day 13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/135422/rams-camp-report-day-13

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of St. Louis Rams training camp:
  • The Rams followed a sluggish Monday practice with a physical Tuesday workout with plenty of work on the run game, some big collisions, and even a small skirmish. For the second time in this camp, defensive endMichael Sam found himself exchanging shoves with a teammate, this time offensive tackle Joe Barksdale. During a run blocking drill late in practice, Barksdale blocked Sam to the ground after the whistle. Sam took exception and went after Barksdale. The two were separated quickly.
  • Perhaps more entertaining than that is watching rookie Greg Robinson take part in the run blocking drills. You can tell the big man just feels at home when he gets to move downhill and wipe out a defender. One of the unfortunate souls in his way Tuesday was linebacker Johnny Millard. Robinson buried Millard after a short head start with the sound of impressed teammates serving as the sound track. We haven't really seen Robinson cut it loose yet in part because he's still learning but drills like that should certainly help open things up a bit.
  • Tight end Justice Cunningham is another one who drew some oohs and aahs from his teammates for his blocking in the run drills. Cunningham, working out of a fullback spot, came down hill and dropped the hammer a couple of times. He's battling Alex Bayer for a potential fourth tight end spot. Bayer has the leg up on the receiving side but Cunningham is ahead as a blocker. Should be an interesting battle.
  • Receivers Austin Franklin and Stedman Bailey had strong outings in the one-on-one passing drills. Franklin caught back-to-back touchdowns against Rodney McLeod with some sharp route running. Bailey continues to consistently get open and make plays when the opportunity arises.
  • On the flip side, cornerbacks Brandon McGee and Greg Reid had some impressive pass breakups in seven-on-seven. McGee climbed the ladder on a deep ball to receiver Brian Quick and though it appeared Quick had him beat, McGee stuck with it and jarred the ball loose for an incompletion. He's battled an ankle injury in camp but seems to be rounding back to form.
  • The funniest moment of the day came after the veterans departed practice, leaving only the rookies on the field. Running back Tre Mason ran into the flat where a pass was thrown to him but apparently the sun got in his eyes and it hit Mason in the chest. Problem was, Mason never saw it, so it hit him in the chest and fell to the ground. The miscue brought chuckles from coaches and teammates.
  • The Rams have an afternoon special teams practice scheduled for Wednesday at 3 p.m. local time. That workout is closed to the public.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
  • Perhaps more entertaining than that is watching rookie Greg Robinson take part in the run blocking drills. You can tell the big man just feels at home when he gets to move downhill and wipe out a defender. One of the unfortunate souls in his way Tuesday was linebacker Johnny Millard. Robinson buried Millard after a short head start with the sound of impressed teammates serving as the sound track. We haven't really seen Robinson cut it loose yet in part because he's still learning but drills like that should certainly help open things up a bit.
He's starting to remind me of Larry Allen a little bit. Maybe the most mauling run blocker we've had ever. If his pass protection starts to match, then we are set.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's starting to remind me of Larry Allen a little bit. Maybe the most mauling run blocker we've had ever. If his pass protection starts to match, then we are set.

I said that from the beginning.That's the whole reason you draft the kid.Larry Allen though was drafted out of Sonoma State of all places.Most all smaller West Coast Colleges don't even have Football Programs.
Right around The Rams leaving football programs got strapped for $$$$. The Rams used to practice at UCI,then moved to Cal State Fullerton.
CSULB lost it's program After Players killed George Allen(ex Ram coach) after bringing back a 0-6 team to 6-6 with a win over Idaho in ice cold weather.They dump Ice Water over the 80 year old coach.He dies 3 weeks later of pneumonia.Terrell Davis was redshirting.George Allen told Roman Gabrieal he had a great class coming in.He could also get the prop 8 kids back then.Long Beach would have had a nice Stadium. I fly over LB State every week & see this huge grass area with burnt dried up grass.
--Brought that up because I saw Lights(S.Merriman )Out get a bucket of ice water poured over him with a suit on .It totally took the wind(breath)out of him.
This kid Greg Robinson is a Monster.He is so athletic for 330 plus man.He gets to play inside & pull as well.I think some LBers might be thinking twice when they come up in the hole.Patrick Willis is aging & is going to continue to get mauled over the years by Big Robo.
When he moves outside he will just shield the DE to the inside & work his way down field to the next level with great timing.The beauty of it is a DE is not able to take free runs at the QB without giving up something.That gives the offense a chance to always have that home run threat every play depending on personnel.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Cause of Allen's Death Is Clarified
By The Associated Press
Published: January 3, 1991

George Allen, the former Rams and Redskins coach, died on Monday of a heart spasm caused by arrythmia, an irregular heartbeat, and not from complications of an ice-water drenching his players at Long Beach State gave him after their season finale on Nov. 17. That was the report today from Allen's attorney and longtime friend, Carl (Tony) Capozzola.

"This is a preliminary, verbal report from a private pathologist hired by the family," Capozzola said. "There will be lab tests returned next week and a written report tomorrow to back up the findings. George had been treated for slight arrythmia prior to this event. However, there was no indication whatsoever that the dousing of ice water by the team when he won the last game of the year had anything to do with his death."

There had been reports that Allen, who was 72 years old, had developed bronchitis after the celebratory showering.

A public memorial service will be held on Friday at the Rolling Hills (Calif.) Covenant Church. Private funeral and burial services will be held earlier that day.

Alan

Legend
So Ram demonstrating his Alan like memory:
Stuff about Allen and Robinson.
A story doesn't have to be true for me to like it. (y) Some day I'll have to tell you about my experiences at Woodstock. It was Epic.

This should get everyone's heart pumping!:banana: