Wagoner: As OTAs approach, Rams have plenty of injury questions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...approach-rams-have-plenty-of-injury-questions

As OTAs approach, Rams have plenty of injury question
Nick Wagoner/ESPN Staff Writer

i

Linebacker Alec Ogletree had surgery in October after suffering a broken leg and could be the closest to return among Rams seriously injured last season. Norm Hall/Getty Images

The Los Angeles Rams are moving closer to the beginning of the final phase of the offseason conditioning program. That would be the time when all players can come together on a field and go through full-squad practices (with some limitations, of course): organized team activities.

The Rams' first OTA is set for May 31 at their current temporary training facility in Oxnard, California. Before we get there, we're counting down five of the questions we'll look to get answered when the Rams get going again:

The question: The Rams had a number of serious injuries to key players in 2015 and they're counting on those players to come back healthy and contribute this season. Where do those players stand at this point in the offseason and what will be expected of them in 2016?

Robert Quinn (back), cornerback E.J. Gaines(foot), linebacker Alec Ogletree (ankle/leg), guard Rodger Saffold(shoulder), safety T.J. McDonald (shoulder), guard Jamon Brown (leg) and receiver Stedman Bailey (head wounds) all missed varying amounts of time with serious injuries that landed them on some form of injured reserve. That doesn't account for players such as end Chris Long who missed chunks of time, or lesser-known players such as offensive tackle Darrell Williams who also suffered season-ending injuries.

Bottom line, the Rams' athletic-training staff had a busy season and an even busier offseason working with players attempting to return from their ailments. Looking ahead to next season, the Rams are counting heavily on at least six of those mentioned above. Quinn, Gaines, Ogletree, Saffold, Brown and McDonald are projected starters and all will be expected to produce at or above previous levels.

At the March owners meetings, I asked Rams coach Jeff Fisher about how those players were recovering, and he said he expected almost all of them to be ready for OTAs, and if not then that the start of training camp would be the target.

Breaking it down individually, the players who seemed closest to being ready to go near the end of the season and into the offseason were Ogletree, Gaines, Saffold and Brown. Remember, Ogletree actually began his window to return from the designated to return injured list at the end of last season, so he should be good to go. That's particularly important given his move to middle linebacker in 2016.

Gaines said after the season he expected to be ready to go for OTAs as well. That would also be good news considering he's the early favorite to step in as the replacement for the departed Janoris Jenkins. Last season's opening-day guard duo, Saffold and Brown, have been active on social media showing their offseason workouts.

The respecitive statuses of Quinn and McDonald are a bit more tenuous. McDonald was also optimistic about his return to health earlier this offseason but could be brought along more slowly. Of all the Rams working their way back from injury, Quinn might be the biggest question mark, if only because a back surgery is a serious thing. Quinn has told media in recent weeks that he's coming along but has made no promises about his level of participation in the offseason program.

In their offseasons under Fisher, the Rams have often erred on the side of caution when it comes to injured players and OTAs. Even players who might normally be able to practice have been held out in years past. So even if multiple names from the above list aren't involved in this year's version of OTAs, it doesn't necessarily mean they're behind schedule. But when the Rams get back on the field, we'll get at least a glimpse at how so many of their key players are coming along.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Quinn is by far my biggest concern. Pass rushers like him are extremely hard to find and are integral to a defense. We missed him a lot last year. I hope he can bounce back this year at full capacity with no lingering effects of the back injury and surgery. The Rams should take their time with Quinn - don't play him until he is fully ready to go. Particularly worrisome is how quiet Quinn and the team have been regarding this status. It seems we never hear a peep. I am mentally preparing for the worst i.e. Quinn comes back this season, just can't do it anymore, and retires in a year or two in the middle of his prime.

Gaines is also a serious concern, albeit less so than Quinn. Some players are never the same after liscfranc injuries. As with Quinn, let's keep our fingers crossed for EJ. We do have debt at CB, however, and Gaines is not one of the league's best players at his position like Robert.

I hate to be the doomsday crier, but there is a chance the Rams have played their last game with these two key starters on defence being impact players. :(

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:blah::blah::blah::blah: A typical Wagoner piece! :blah::blah::blah::blah::dizzy:

Ram65

Legend
Of all the Rams working their way back from injury, Quinn might be the biggest question mark, if only because a back surgery is a serious thing. Quinn has told media in recent weeks that he's coming along but has made no promises about his level of participation in the offseason program.

I had no idea where Quinn is as far as his comeback. Hope they are moving at a cautious level. He is so important to the defense and the Rams success.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I hate to be the doomsday crier, but there is a chance the Rams have played their last game with these two key starters on defence being impact players.

That Quinn is playing NFL football at all is nothing short of amazing. No one else in the league is playing with a brain tumor. He's made a career out of beating the odds.

Have a little faith. If the Rams had concerns about his recovery they would've taken pass rushers in this draft.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
That Quinn is playing NFL football at all is nothing short of amazing. No one else in the league is playing with a brain tumor. He's made a career out of beating the odds.

Have a little faith. If the Rams had concerns about his recovery they would've taken pass rushers in this draft.

Taken a pass rusher with what pick? We mortgaged this draft for Goff (which makes sense, because you need a QB to win in this league, and our DL even without Quinn is in much better shape than our QB position was prior to the Goff trade).

The fact the Rams are gambling on recent 1st round defensive line picks (Easley, Copples) with various warts and question marks, but noted pass rushing ability, might be the Rams trying their best to establish a contingency plan if Quinn cannot go since we had no draft capital.

I am not saying I think Quinn will not be ready to go. No point in jumping to negative conclusions at this point. But I'm not just going to assume he will come back and be the same player after such a major surgery. Quinn is an unknown at this point. That's all I am saying.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Taken a pass rusher with what pick?

With any of them.

The fact the Rams are gambling on recent 1st round defensive line picks (Easley, Copples) with various warts and question marks, but noted pass rushing ability, might be the Rams trying their best to establish a contingency plan if Quinn cannot go since we had no draft capital.

Or far more likely, replacements for the departed Fairley and Long.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
With any of them.

Or far more likely, replacements for the departed Fairley and Long.

There is no way you are replacing Robert Quinn with a late round pass rusher, barring sheer (incredible) luck. And those picks needed to be allocated to offense - as they properly were. Especially after investing so much in Goff. He'll need some weapons.

I agree Easley and Copples are more in line with being replacements for Long and Fairley than Quinn, I was just playing devil's advocate.

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
There is no way you are replacing Robert Quinn with a late round pass rusher, barring sheer (incredible) luck. And those picks needed to be allocated to offense - as they properly were. Especially after investing so much in Goff. He'll need some weapons.

No, but you'd think they'd have found a way to address DE, even just to add depth. As you say Quinn plays such a big role on D I'd venture they don't even make that trade up, or at least keep one pick back, if there really were internal questions about his availability or recovery.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Quinn's health is a cause for concern.....But he's appeared at a few events so I'm assuming he's progressing well....

Curious about EJ Gaines too....but I like the depth at corner...Roberson gets his time to shine....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Quinn is by far my biggest concern. Pass rushers like him are extremely hard to find and are integral to a defense. We missed him a lot last year. I hope he can bounce back this year at full capacity with no lingering effects of the back injury and surgery. The Rams should take their time with Quinn - don't play him until he is fully ready to go. Particularly worrisome is how quiet Quinn and the team have been regarding this status. It seems we never hear a peep. I am mentally preparing for the worst i.e. Quinn comes back this season, just can't do it anymore, and retires in a year or two in the middle of his prime.

Gaines is also a serious concern, albeit less so than Quinn. Some players are never the same after liscfranc injuries. As with Quinn, let's keep our fingers crossed for EJ. We do have debt at CB, however, and Gaines is not one of the league's best players at his position like Robert.

I hate to be the doomsday crier, but there is a chance the Rams have played their last game with these two key starters on defence being impact players. :(

Back surgery is tricky, and backs healing correctly are always a question mark so I am with you, Quinn is the biggest concern.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Back surgery is tricky, and backs healing correctly are always a question mark so I am with you, Quinn is the biggest concern.
Having injured my back a couple of times in my life, I can tell you, a back injury Never completely heals! That said, Those injures usually come back to haunt you later in Life!
Quinn is still very young and very strong. I don't see him having any problems for a long time!(y);)JMHO

tempests

Hall of Fame

That's the thinking when there is no issue. When Jake Long was rehabbing from a torn ACL, it was a different story.

We had an immediate need at QB, TE, and WR and as much as was available was used in those areas.

They don't make a trade like they did unless they're feeling pretty good about the state of the roster.

Was it need, or was it luxury to splurge on WRs and TEs given the relative stability of the other team units.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Ogletree needs to be there early and often.
As our new defensive QB, I want him playing game 1, not thinking.