Wades 3-4 probably not a huge adjustment....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wade doesn't have to do anything. You can't force Quinn into coverage when we're in a 4-3 look. Nothing changes in Wade's 3-4 defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tru's as good as gone. JMO. If we didn't keep JJ....we shouldn't keep Tru Johnson.
Joyner....geez...how many years does he have left on his contract? FS....at that range? That speed? He doesn't SEEM like a heady safety to me...but we'll see. Strong safety class in this years draft. Free safeties too. (y) Blitzing? Blitzing?!? All I remember is Joyner hanging on QB's legs...like a lil kid against an adult.
TJ MacDonald....my biggest pain is losing this type of impact player. Cody & Mo....They'll have one year to impress the son-of-bum...I like Mo Alexander too...Cody does seem to find the ball. His next big hit will be his first tho.:thinking:

We can guess & say what we want to about these Rams players above ??

Joyner & Austin were big mistakes only because The Rams didn't trust there Draft Board & traded up to get smallish players that might not fit in The NFL.
Joyner is a huge question mark of where to play him ?? We saw Hard Knocks & Fushers drama. I like Joyner passion for the game though . It means everything to him & he is a hard worker with talent.His size & speed I question.

Tru is a FA .. How much does he get on the open market ?? Does he go & play for Cleveland & Williams with his Fisher ties , or is he Tru ly a Ram ???

Mo & Cody are now Snead guys. They are stuck for this season & I look forward to there ascending value under Wade & new coaching staff.
TJ had his issue in offseason & how The Rams relationship with him will play apart of his future with The Rams. He is an SC & LA guy.Inhave always liked TJ. He is not a winner in my book from the teams & leadership from past USC & Ram days to this point .
Does USC have a chance at a National Title ??

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
i'm not opposed to cleaning house either if they find it necessary.
I don't see any " House Cleaning" necessary on the Defensive side of the Ball, except to improve our Pass rush from the left DE spot!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
TJ had his issue in offseason & how The Rams relationship with him will play apart of his future with The Rams. He is an SC & LA guy.Inhave always liked TJ. He is not a winner in my book from the teams & leadership from past USC & Ram days to this point .
Does USC have a chance at a National Title ??
Agree with your entire post except for this...TJ's not a winner? Hmmmmm....he plays hard...brings the pain every day...He does peek a little too much in the backfield when in zone coverage...but I believe that's a direct result of playing with Aaron Donald and that D-Line. He's always expecting an errant pass. I'd suspect we're gonna miss TJ more than Tru-Jo....

SC always has a chance...A lot of those recruits are Sark guys....and that Ogeron guy. Great recruiters...Some fine players. And that Darnold guy will be the best QB in the Coliseum next year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Phillips Defense Line depth chart is posted as three DL positions. Last season DC Phillips starters in this line up was:
LDE-Wolfe
NT-Williams
RDE-J Crick

What does ROD members have in their minds & guess (with our current signed DL'ers) how the Rams front 3 will come close to looking like? Guess we have to get our terminology adjusted since DT position in no longer listed in the Phillips Depth Chart.

We all know that Michael Brockers stands to be our undersized NT but who else has played NT in the NFL? DL Dom Easley has some action lining up in passing situations with the New England but that's about it. Ethan Westbrooks line up all over the DL in college but has been primarily a Left side DE but has seen a lot of action at both DT posts in 2014/2015 seasons. Wm Hayes has been primary starter @ LDE for the last 3 seasons. Hayes logged a ton of left interior DL post play during the 2012/2013 seasons. Aaron Donald did move from his normal left three-technique interior DL post to get action @ RDE but is sure to remain close to the same areas as in the past. Dom Easley played in the NE Pats 34 defense in 2014/2015 as the main reserve in all 3 DL posts when healthy. @ UF he played everywhere when healthy & played them all very well. Since Rob Quinn would not be included in the 3 DL chart & would be listed as the ROLB in the new lineup Where does a over 6-6 270 plus RDE Eugene Sims fit or doesn't ? What about DE's Matt Longacre or Morgan Fox ?

Anyone want to take a Guesstimate?:thinking:

Fill in the blank
LDE-
NT-
RDE-

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Boni, you consider Brockers undersized at 6'6" and 335lbs? Good luck for Wade to find a NT bigger than that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't see any " House Cleaning" necessary on the Defensive side of the Ball, except to improve our Pass rush from the left DE spot!

The defensive side may be more about being 'fit' for a position in Wade's 3/4, or it could be dealing with future CAP ramifications and contracts which may be ending fairly soon. While we liked our 2016 defense for the most part, and identifying that many of their struggles were the result of being on the field too long due to our poor offense, the imbalance may have to be tweaked somewhat, which could involve some change. Not a wholesale 'cleansing' on that side of the ball, but enough of an adjustment to filter more assets to the offense. Moving on from Tru Johnson may be enough, although I suspect more may be on the agenda. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Phillips Defense Line depth chart is posted as three DL positions. Last season DC Phillips starters in this line up was:
LDE-Wolfe
NT-Williams
RDE-J Crick

What does ROD members have in their minds & guess (with our current signed DL'ers) how the Rams front 3 will come close to looking like? Guess we have to get our terminology adjusted since DT position in no longer listed in the Phillips Depth Chart.

We all know that Michael Brockers stands to be our undersized NT but who else has played NT in the NFL? DL Dom Easley has some action lining up in passing situations with the New England but that's about it. Ethan Westbrooks line up all over the DL in college but has been primarily a Left side DE but has seen a lot of action at both DT posts in 2014/2015 seasons. Wm Hayes has been primary starter @ LDE for the last 3 seasons. Hayes logged a ton of left interior DL post play during the 2012/2013 seasons. Aaron Donald did move from his normal left three-technique interior DL post to get action @ RDE but is sure to remain close to the same areas as in the past. Dom Easley played in the NE Pats 34 defense in 2014/2015 as the main reserve in all 3 DL posts when healthy. @ UF he played everywhere when healthy & played them all very well. Since Rob Quinn would not be included in the 3 DL chart & would be listed as the ROLB in the new lineup Where does a over 6-6 270 plus RDE Eugene Sims fit or doesn't ? What about DE's Matt Longacre or Morgan Fox ?

Anyone want to take a Guesstimate?:thinking:

Fill in the blank
LDE-
NT-
RDE-

I believe you already named them with :

LDE - Hayes, Easley
NT - Brockers
RDE - Donald, Easley

Honestly, I don't see a future for any of Westbrooks, Sims or Longacre, and Fox may only have a slight opportunity to stick. While all these guys showed similar coverage skills, Fox did grade out as one of the better run blockers, and none of them are particularly good pass rushers. Fox might fit a more traditional 3/4 ILB role as a JACK, but he may be a stretch for what Phillips is looking for. While some haven't cared so much about all the speculation over where certain players fit, and while we may recognize that the change is not as extreme as some might be concerned about, there will be adjustments to be made, so the discussion is valid about who may come and who may go, and if they are a true fit within the Phillips mold.

As far as the DL goes, I would expect adding a rotational NT/DT and another rotational DE, whether by way of free agency or the draft. I've penciled in for my own mock bringing back free agent Nick Fairley and drafting Tanoh Kpassagnon in the 3'rd round. These two would make up for the loss of Cam Thomas, Sims, Westbrooks & Longacre. Trinca-Pasat remains an interesting player as he showed some surprising Donald like signs with his skill set during pre-season 2015, not the same level of course, but interesting enough to want to examine a little more closely when healthy back in camp. Most of the DL players lost to the 3/4 transition would be made up as added to a LB'er position, again by what we have, and what may come thru free agency and the draft. If Quinn is healthy enough to hold down the ROLB position, our biggest need is his opposite at LOLB. I've been so kind as to pencil in Green Bay free agent Nick Perry to fill this position. We will also likely seek some outside depth here. For the interior, its been speculated they are already on the team, but I imagine a mid-level free agent and/or a draft pick to be added here also. jmo.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not so sure they let Cam Thomas go, as he's built for a NT and is already backing up Brockers.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not so sure they let Cam Thomas go, as he's built for a NT and is already backing up Brockers.

Yes, Cam Thomas is built like a traditional NT, but that's not how Wade usually rolls. Rather than giant plodding mountain men type space eaters, Phillips likes guys who can penetrate and disrupt, using strength, good angles & footwork. In fact, Brockers may be about as large a NT as Phillips has used, I believe he has demonstrated in the past that he can effectively break thru a gap or just overpower an OG and/or Center. His role won't be significantly different imo.
I for one can hardly wait to see our front 7 line-up and how they perform under Phillips. If Barron is retained, and I suspect he will be, it will be fun to see how he is deployed also, whether as an SS/nickel ILB. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boni, you consider Brockers undersized at 6'6" and 335lbs? Good luck for Wade to find a NT bigger than that.

Here's how I will address your question.

Most Rams sites list Brockers @ 326 & that's the heaviest he has been listed since he became a grown man. MB came to LSU as a Lb'er. Back in 2012 @ the combine we was 6-5 322 pounds. Back before the 2012 draft there were many teams who desired MB to fit into their 34 defense as an DE. For the 43 defenses they were drooling to play him as a 3-tech defensive tackle. The same position that Aaron Donald has been earning all pro honors playing.

Most know I am a big fan of the big guy & think that Phillips could start Brockers @ one of the two DE posts with Aaron Donald & the Rams might end up with two all pro's in that 3 man DL. Issue is MB has played as the nose since Donald became a starter in 2014 by the bye in a 43. The past two seasons Phillips has had a NT who was under 6-2 @ approx. 315 pounds by the name of Sylvester Williams He is a true wide body nose tackle something MB is not.

Before Sylvester Williams, Phillips had Ryan Pickett with him back in 2013 in Houston who was 6-2 340 pounds that's before he has ate, before Pickett he had a player named Earl Mitchell who was under 6-2 too. So having a near 6-6 Brockers will be something new for the old guy. MB looks nothing like a NFL wide booty NT but instead has a massive frame. MB has some serious long arms not normally associated with a 34 NT. I also think that MB has improved his pass-rushing technique every year.

Brockers has a rough 2016 season saddled up with hip, thigh & groin injuries that prohibited his better play. For the first time MB did not have a sack zero & his tackles dropped down to only 14. For the first 4 seasons MB averaged over 3.5 sacks & 39 tackles a season. Phillips sure needs MB @ NT much more than @ DE where he should have Easley, Donald, Westbrooks & Hayes barring a trade of one for a reserve NT. Seriously it would not surprise me to see a Donald, Brockers & Easley as the starters day one. That's a trio of sure fire quickness.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree with your entire post except for this...TJ's not a winner? Hmmmmm....he plays hard...brings the pain every day...He does peek a little too much in the backfield when in zone coverage...but I believe that's a direct result of playing with Aaron Donald and that D-Line. He's always expecting an errant pass. I'd suspect we're gonna miss TJ more than Tru-Jo....

SC always has a chance...A lot of those recruits are Sark guys....and that Ogeron guy. Great recruiters...Some fine players. And that Darnold guy will be the best QB in the Coliseum next year.

Really - you went there ? Goff ?? Coaching staff should do wonders for him.

TJ & Ogletree have been excellent at cutting off the flat on run & screen plays.
I like TJ -- just saying The Rams have won much , & at SC didn't do to well his senior year. Barkley & TJ both wore #7 ..
Maybe I got them confused :)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's how I will address your question.

Most Rams sites list Brockers @ 326 & that's the heaviest he has been listed since he became a grown man. MB came to LSU as a Lb'er. Back in 2012 @ the combine we was 6-5 322 pounds. Back before the 2012 draft there were many teams who desired MB to fit into their 34 defense as an DE. For the 43 defenses they were drooling to play him as a 3-tech defensive tackle. The same position that Aaron Donald has been earning all pro honors playing.

Most know I am a big fan of the big guy & think that Phillips could start Brockers @ one of the two DE posts with Aaron Donald & the Rams might end up with two all pro's in that 3 man DL. Issue is MB has played as the nose since Donald became a starter in 2014 by the bye in a 43. The past two seasons Phillips has had a NT who was under 6-2 @ approx. 315 pounds by the name of Sylvester Williams He is a true wide body nose tackle something MB is not.

Before Sylvester Williams, Phillips had Ryan Pickett with him back in 2013 in Houston who was 6-2 340 pounds that's before he has ate, before Pickett he had a player named Earl Mitchell who was under 6-2 too. So having a near 6-6 Brockers will be something new for the old guy. MB looks nothing like a NFL wide booty NT but instead has a massive frame. MB has some serious long arms not normally associated with a 34 NT. I also think that MB has improved his pass-rushing technique every year.

Brockers has a rough 2016 season saddled up with hip, thigh & groin injuries that prohibited his better play. For the first time MB did not have a sack zero & his tackles dropped down to only 14. For the first 4 seasons MB averaged over 3.5 sacks & 39 tackles a season. Phillips sure needs MB @ NT much more than @ DE where he should have Easley, Donald, Westbrooks & Hayes barring a trade of one for a reserve NT. Seriously it would not surprise me to see a Donald, Brockers & Easley as the starters day one. That's a trio of sure fire quickness.

I think The Rams are stacked at DE & the fast Quinn calf be just what the doctor odered

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think The Rams are stacked at DE & the fast Quinn calf be just what the doctor odered

You would be 100% correct about the Rams having the ability to provide Wade with some unbelievable proven talent to play the 2 posts on both side of the NT. Starting with Aaron Donald 6-1/285, Dom Easley 6-2/285, Wm Hayes 6-3/285, Westbrooks 6-4/270, Matt Longacre 6-3/260, Eugene Sims 6-6 270, Morgan Fox 6-4 260. Every one of the above unit has time logged in in the interior DL. Wage must fill like a kid in a candy store as far as these two post go.....plus I not sure where Louis Trinca-Pasat fits

Wade does not need all seven of these DL'ers here so he might have some extra to use in a trade one of these 43 veteran DE's for a experience good back up Nose Tackle. I would not be surprised if Wade goes to work to go get a reserve NT that can get pressure. Couple UFA's that come to mind would be well travelled underachiever veteran DT Evander Hood (2016 Redskins) & DT Nick Fairley (2016 New Orleans) {known to new DL coach} who did an excellent job in relief of Brockers back in 2015.

Not so sure that Gregg Williams will like his starting 5-1 345 pound NT Danny Shelton in his new 43 defense as @jrry32 eluded too earlier this past week a package deal with WSLB Mark Barron & DE's Eugene Sims/Wm Hayes might entice Browns to trade the NT who was a past Browns #1 pick. Shelton is a non fit for Gregg Williams.

On your Quinn remark ....It would not surprise me "what Quinn's doctor ordered" was ...consider RETIREMENT after Quinn's train wreak injuries 2015/2016 season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thomas is built to be a NT in a traditional 3-4 but has never played well in that role. He doesn't have the pad level to handle being a traditional 3-4 NT and doesn't have the athleticism to handle being Wade's 3-4 NT. I think Thomas is gone. He's a poor fit for this scheme.

We all know that Michael Brockers stands to be our undersized NT but who else has played NT in the NFL?

Wade Phillips doesn't ask his NTs to occupy blockers. It's not how his 3-4 works. This isn't your typical 3-4 like the Steelers run. It's a very different defense. Here are Wade's last three NTs:
http://www.nfl.com/player/sylvesterwilliams/2539270/profile
http://www.nfl.com/player/earlmitchell/496822/profile
http://www.nfl.com/player/jayratliff/2506556/profile

The best of the bunch was Jay Ratliff. All three are penetrators. Brockers isn't undersized for that role. But we might decide to go with more of a penetrator and play Brockers at LDE.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Bruce Smith racked up more than 170 of his 200 career sacks as a 3-4 defensive end. Playing in the 1-gap 3-4 under Wade Phillips had something to do with it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Wade Phillips doesn't ask his NTs to occupy blockers. It's not how his 3-4 works. This isn't your typical 3-4 like the Steelers run. It's a very different defense. Here are Wade's last three NTs:
http://www.nfl.com/player/sylvesterwilliams/2539270/profile
http://www.nfl.com/player/earlmitchell/496822/profile
http://www.nfl.com/player/jayratliff/2506556/profile

RotoWorld :

The Broncos are expected to move on from free agent NT Sylvester Williams.

Williams has anchored the Broncos’ line the last three seasons. He was a big part of Denver’s struggles against the run, grading near the bottom of PFF’s ratings. Williams has potential to get overpaid in free agency.

Source: Denver Post
Feb 11 - 3:14 PM

Hopefully Wade just says no to rehiring this guy.