VRF camp report August 17

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional scout or writer (duh). Just offering my two cents and making change for that.

I got a late start getting to camp but being that my work is only 15 minutes from UCI, I still made it in time to watch warm ups. I did bring my trusty Nikon and if you like, there are a ton of pictures at the link below (276 photos, not for the faint of heart).

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/daledouglass/library/Rams Camp Aug 17 2016?sort=3&page=1

Good size crowd, maybe 800-1000 but I’m not good at math so I may be exaggerating. What I really enjoy seeing at these practices, this is my fourth one, is the families. Dad’s with their kids, small kids, medium kids, large kids. Love seeing the kids and I love seeing parents with all their Ram gear on and the kids having matching outfits. There was even a couple of Pop Warner teams there. It was fun listening to the coaches and Dad’s talking about football, “Hey, we do those drills!” or “Maybe we should use that drill?”.

Weather was warm, no, hot is more like it. High 80’s, maybe low 90’s. Clear skies but off in the distance to the north you could see the smoke over the mountains from the fire in the Cajon pass. Pray no one gets hurt or killed. Possessions can be replaced.

My plan this camp was to focus on the lineman and the DB’s. That is so hard to do with the vantage points we have. I set up in the end zone bleachers and was treated to the 1x1 of the wide receivers and DB’s. Two lines, one on each side of the hash marks. QB’s rotated so I couldn’t see who was throwing while I was focusing (literally, had my camera) on the match ups. Now I had the big scissor lift blocking part of my view to the right so my area of focus was on my left or the QB’s right. Line of scrimmage was about the 5-yard line. Here is what I saw;

P. Cooper was lining up on the left side. Saw him make a move at the line, sprint to the back of the end zone, cut left (outside) and then immediately reverse direction to the middle of the end zone. It was fast, crisp and left the DB, who I didn’t see his number, in the dust. Nice move. Didn’t catch the ball IIRC.

K. Britt is a pro. He needs more targets. Leaping high to make the catch then coming down in bounds. Joyner playing him tight when they were matched up. One series Joyner leaps high and breaks up the pass. Nice D.

A. Hill, the son of former Ram TE David Hill and nephew of local CBS sportscaster Jim Hill is trying hard. He just doesn’t have the speed, the moves, the hands. He knows he has to impress and is maybe trying too hard? He had a drop in the end zone against Mike Jordan that upset him greatly. Later on, during 11x11, he made a great leaping catch on the far sideline the caused some cheers from the crowd. He seemed rejuvenated after that. Did catch a couple more during 11x11. He will be lucky to make the PS.

B. Quick knows he is on the bubble. During the first series of drills, he ran a simple out curl. The ball hit him in a bad place, his hands. Dropped. I have a picture of him after that walking around with his hands on his hips and his head down. Obviously upset with himself and like I said, I think he knows he may not make the team with all the younger talent at WR. He did redeem himself later by getting really open and a nice leaping catch then, fighting off Tru J. and using his size to score a TD. Doing what we expect him to do, fight for the ball, use his size and leaping ability. See the pics for this sequence.

B. Marquez got separation from Tru on one series but couldn’t hang on to an over throw. He also was WIDE open during 7x7. Blown coverage by either EJ Gains or #47 M. Roberson.

D. Williams, only saw one series with him. Shielded Tru with his body and made the catch at the goal line.

D. Richards, #12 made a nice move on T. Hill, was open for the over the shoulder throw but didn’t manage to hang on.

T. Austin didn’t do much of these drills that I saw but he did have a nice play during 11x11. Screen pass to the right, turns up field and lights his jets. Breaking away from all pursuers, Joyner comes full speed with a great angle to intercept the speeding Austin. Just as Joyner was within arm’s reach, Tavon takes a half step, cuts back to the middle of the field. Joyner never saw him again. Nice effort by Joyner, great move my Tavon. I posted that Joyner was still looking for his socks after that juke.

That was it for WR drills. I was hoping to use my zoom lens from the end zone to capture the linemen during 11x11 but the offense was moving towards the far end zone so all the players not participating were standing on the field and blocking my view. So I move to the south bleachers as far down as I could so I could get some good shots with players’ numbers. It worked out pretty well. Now I did focus almost exclusively on the line of scrimmage so I really didn’t see the end result of the plays ran. But that was the whole idea, watch the line.

This is for DaveFan51.

Battle didn’t play, was taken out due to injury earlier in practice. Pace Murphy took his place.

G. Rob had some good and some bad moments. He was going up against Sims.

C. Wichmann was at LG for the ones. Again, some good, some bad.

T. Barnes center did a good job from what I saw. Maybe the best of all the lineman not named Saffold.

J. Brown at RG. A. Donald 99 made him look bad but he really wasn’t. Everyone looks bad against Donald, but one series Brown did get all out of positon, his feet were not under him, reaching for Donald. Would have been a sack.

D. Williams was at RT for the second string. He did well! He was going up against Morgan Fox so that may be the reason.

R. Saffold against W. Hayes. Saffold is solid. Best multi position player on the team IMHO.

T. Gurley had a nice blitz pick up. Actually was able to take out two rushers by pushing his man (A. Ayers) into the other moving around to the outside (C. Lynch). Play would have resulted in a sack because G. Rob let Sims beat him with a speed rush.

There was a little scuffle between Chase Reynolds and Darreon Herring. They were so close, wrapped up tight, looked like they could have been dancing a slow dance. Not much more than that and some jaw jacking. It really didn’t even attract the attention of the other players. It must have affected Reynolds as he wasn’t performing well after that. Came to the sidelines after one series, Tavon was yelling his name to get his attention and Reynolds didn’t even acknowledge Tavon.

I can’t recall much more than this. Take a look at the pics and hopefully they loaded in the correct sequence so you can get a feel for the action. Maybe some of you with more football acumen could add some analysis from what you see.

Thanks!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@VeteranRamFan thanks for your insight on training camp. From your observation who was the best skilled position guys on the field offense and defense

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thanks. These are great.

Totally appreciated.

Last edited:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@VeteranRamFan thanks for your insight on training camp. From your observation who was the best skilled position guys on the field offense and defense

Based on yesterdays practice and the limited looks I gave to the skilled positions I would say Tavon and Britt on offense and Tru J. and Joyner on D.

I didn't even watch the quarterbacks except for warm ups. I will say this about the three, they all throw a good ball, Goff is a little crisper on the throws but Case has a nice, tight spiral. Footwork drills showed Goff, Case then Sean in that order. But we already knew that. Dylan Thompson sorry to say is way down the ladder when it comes to talent. I don't know how I would feel if I knew I was just a camp arm with no chance of making the team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Based on yesterdays practice and the limited looks I gave to the skilled positions I would say Tavon and Britt on offense and Tru J. and Joyner on D.

I didn't even watch the quarterbacks except for warm ups. I will say this about the three, they all throw a good ball, Goff is a little crisper on the throws but Case has a nice, tight spiral. Footwork drills showed Goff, Case then Sean in that order. But we already knew that. Dylan Thompson sorry to say is way down the ladder when it comes to talent. I don't know how I would feel if I knew I was just a camp arm with no chance of making the team.
He's probably happy to be a camp arm, in somebodies NFL camp. Crap, I would be stoked.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
He's probably happy to be a camp arm, in somebodies NFL camp. Crap, I would be stoked.

#DR RAM, I hear what your saying and agree. A once in a lifetime experience so to speak. But Dylan was with Frisco before coming here so he's had the experience before. I'm just empathetic with him. A guy wanting so bad to play but in a situation where he doesn't stand a chance. I guess you could say he is like "Rudy". Just keeps trying and I respect that.

I too wish I had the chance. Heck, I wish I could have made my high school team but with 2k kids enrolled, my skill set didn't set me apart.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
#DR RAM, I hear what your saying and agree. A once in a lifetime experience so to speak. But Dylan was with Frisco before coming here so he's had the experience before. I'm just empathetic with him. A guy wanting so bad to play but in a situation where he doesn't stand a chance. I guess you could say he is like "Rudy". Just keeps trying and I respect that.

I too wish I had the chance. Heck, I wish I could have made my high school team but with 2k kids enrolled, my skill set didn't set me apart.
He's still trying to live his dream. Hey, part of my point is, that Kurt Warner was a camp arm a couple of times. The dude, kept plugging away. He's is one of the best stories that the NFL has ever seen. I don't know much about this kid, but he's still trying. Look at Case, very decorated in college, but he has worked hard to get where he is. Part of the reason that I like him.

i did understand your point too...there is no way for him to make this team, but if he puts in good tape, he may make another team's practice squad, or be able to extend his dream by making another camp, or three.

I played high school ball at a high level, but injuries killed me. Same with track, set some records at my So Cal team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is for DaveFan51.

Battle didn’t play, was taken out due to injury earlier in practice. Pace Murphy took his place.
Thanks for remembering me Vet!! I sure hope Battle is going to be good-to-go!
I'm going to dig through all the Photos at the link you supplied and see what I will keep!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Awesome job!!! Hope there will be more next week. Love these reports.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
great job @VeteranRamFan

I figured someone with a camera was somebody I knew. LOLOLOL!

Joyner seems to take 1 on 1's more serious than say, Tru....and while I haven't been to many camps, Kenny Britt looks like the best skilled player on the team.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
great job @VeteranRamFan

I figured someone with a camera was somebody I knew. LOLOLOL!

Joyner seems to take 1 on 1's more serious than say, Tru....and while I haven't been to many camps, Kenny Britt looks like the best skilled player on the team.

Agreed. Joyner was bringing it during 1x1. Britt is what I would call the consummate professional. He is just soooo good! We need to get him more involved. Unfortunately, practices don't seem to be geared towards his skill set.

We'll have to take a wait and see approach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
...... Joyner was bringing it during 1x1...... .

Thanks VeteranRam for all you have done! Three Questions for you sir!

#1- Can we still maintain that Lamarcus Joyner is the starting CB with Trumaine Johnson with the ones, when Gregg plays ONLY two CB's in the secondary.
#2-When the offense demands a 3rd corner (Nickle), then do we continue to see Joyner assume the Nickel-Back position?
#3- Is there a consistent corner that takes over the outside corner post for Joyner?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is for DaveFan51.

G. Rob had some good and some bad moments. He was going up against Sims.

C. Wichmann was at LG for the ones. Again, some good, some bad.

T. Barnes center did a good job from what I saw. Maybe the best of all the lineman not named Saffold.

J. Brown at RG. A. Donald 99 made him look bad but he really wasn’t. Everyone looks bad against Donald, but one series Brown did get all out of positon, his feet were not under him, reaching for Donald. Would have been a sack.

D. Williams was at RT for the second string. He did well! He was going up against Morgan Fox so that may be the reason.

R. Saffold against W. Hayes. Saffold is solid. Best multi position player on the team IMHO
Was it just for the old guy DaveFan51:rant:?Did you have any observations on the reserve OLT Pace Murphy? Murphy has looked surprisingly steady for a rookie UDFA OLT. GRob should be having his way with Sims. So Saffold continues to look like a rock @ OT?

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Was it just for the old guy DaveFan51:rant:?Did you have any observations on the reserve OLT Pace Murphy? Murphy has looked surprisingly steady for a rookie UDFA OLT. GRob should be having his way with Sims. So Saffold continues to look like a rock @ OT?

Hey, us old guys have to stick together!

Pace Murphy looked good but I don't recall who he was matched up against so I really couldn't judge his effectiveness.

G.Rob should not be beat by the likes of Sims. I think I stated that or maybe I was thinking of saying that. Either way you are correct. Wasn't a good showing for G. Rob.

Saffold was the best O-lineman out there by far. It really is amazing how versatile he is to be able to play all the line positions except center.

To be honest, I was not that impressed with the D or O lines during this practice. LACHAMP made a comment that it seemed they were operating at 80% speed. I would have to agree. It's really hard to get a handle on a unit when they aren't performing at full speed.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
#BonifayRams Thanks VeteranRam for all you have done! Three Questions for you sir!

#1- Can we still maintain that Lamarcus Joyner is the starting CB with Trumaine Johnson with the ones, when Gregg plays ONLY two CB's in the secondary.
Answer: Don't know since EJ just came back and is working his way into camp shape. At this point I would say yes, just based on the limted showing from this practice. Now EJ was getting reps during 7x7 at corner so you know they are working him back into the fold. I think another player to watch would be Troy Hill, #32. He is starting to get some looks and making plays.

#2-When the offense demands a 3rd corner (Nickle), then do we continue to see Joyner assume the Nickel-Back position?
Answer: Don't know (see a pattern here?). Why would we move him to nickel if he has been playing the #2 corner? Who takes over at #2? If it was me, I'd keep him at #2 and bring in T. Hill for the nickel. But I'm not a coach and really haven't seen Hill at that position. Just like what I see in him.

#3- Is there a consistent corner that takes over the outside corner post for Joyner?
Answer: Good question! I don't know, haven't seen enough to make that kind of judgement. I guess my previous answers sort of answers this for us. I'm liking Troy Hill. But don't quote me!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#BonifayRams Thanks VeteranRam for all you have done! Three Questions for you sir!

Answer: Don't know since EJ just came back and is working his way into camp shape. At this point I would say yes, just based on the limted showing from this practice. Now EJ was getting reps during 7x7 at corner so you know they are working him back into the fold. I think another player to watch would be Troy Hill, #32. He is starting to get some looks and making plays.

Answer: Don't know (see a pattern here?). Why would we move him to nickel if he has been playing the #2 corner? Who takes over at #2? If it was me, I'd keep him at #2 and bring in T. Hill for the nickel. But I'm not a coach and really haven't seen Hill at that position. Just like what I see in him.

Answer: Good question! I don't know, haven't seen enough to make that kind of judgement. I guess my previous answers sort of answers this for us. I'm liking Troy Hill. But don't quote me!

Thanks for your very quick response. I agree with most everything here. Ref. Bad Boy Troy....I really think that his third team try is working out very well for him. Fisher & Gregg seems to be the proper type coaches for him to get on track. Troy should come in very handy next season when 3 Ram DB's (Johnson/ Roberson/ McDonald) head off for UFA'cy. Its going to be an uphill battle due to his lean small thin size.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/troy-hill?id=2552693

Yes I do see a trend here with Joyner earning the JJ post in the base defense. Bares watching.....Joyner's leadership skills is in high demand here. Joyner is sure to continue to man the Nickle post outside the base defense.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Damn good stuff @VeteranRamFan... Who needs the Rams beat writers when you can get the truth right here on ROD.

I've been more than impressed with the depth of details from the camp insiders here. You all deserve the praise you receive from us and each individual report has had its own unique perception and insight.

These have been fantastic reads & I give a standing ovation for all of you.

1536.gif

giphy.gif