Vinny Tweet on Spruce

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Vincent Bonsignore@DailyNewsVinny

Spruce catching everything thrown his way. Not surprising from the all time leading PAC-12 reception leader. Runs sharp routes, gets open, catches everything. I knew there was a reason rams gave him largest signing bonus of all the UDFA's.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
You love this guy eh bubba? It's good to hear though. I'm anxious to see him come pre-season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great to hear it. He also blocks well, which should help him make the roster. Still, it's gonna come down to special teams IMO. He's gotta get himself on that unit.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. Been watching him for 3+ years. Unbelievable he went undrafted. Spruce has made CB's that are now in the NFL look silly. Straight line speed is not his forte, but that hardly ever equates in the NFL for WR's. Spruce has uncanny agility in juke moves and runs real sharp routes.. Not only is he a willing and very good blocker, he plays special teams and does punt returns. Spruce is a football player, reminds me of a guy like Havenstien. Goes un-noticed and quietly gets the job done.Think Snisher will like that?

So far in OTA's, Goff has targeted Spruce more than any other WR. they hooked up for a 20 yd TD today. I'm not the only one who thinks Spruce has a leg up on all the other UDFA WR's. Check out Gary Klien and Lindsey Thiry's video over at RFU and Vinny Bogsignore's tweet for today.

Goff to Spruce, 1st down!

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Spruce has to get be able to get off the line. He appears to have the hands and smarts (body positioning) to be a good chain mover. He is also book smart too per article.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.vcstar.com/sports/undraf...20-46c2-607c-e053-0100007f7976-378534875.html
By Rhiannon Potkey of the Ventura County Star

Aside from not being drafted, things couldn't have worked out much better for Nelson Spruce.

The rookie wide receiver is playing for an NFL team in his backyard and catching balls from a quarterback he trained with for several months.

He's with an organization in need of receiving help and happy to have a local face help market its return to Southern California.

Spruce made his debut for the Los Angeles Rams this weekend during rookie orientation and mini-camp in Oxnard.

The Westlake High graduate hit the field for the first time in a Rams helmet Friday and returned Saturday for more instruction. The River Ridge facility is only a 20-minute drive from Spruce's childhood home.

"It's kind of a crazy situation," Spruce said. "The year I'm trying to play in the NFL, that's the year that the Rams come to L.A."

The 6-foot, 205-pound Spruce, 23, signed with the Rams as an undrafted free agent after graduating from the University of Colorado as the Pac-12 Conference's all-time leader in receptions.

He is battling for a roster spot as a slot receiver and contributor on special teams.

The Rams had Spruce in their sights throughout the entire draft process.

They met with him at the NFL scouting combine and were the only team to put him through a private workout.

Spruce impressed head coach Jeff Fisher, offensive coordinator Rob Boras and general manager Les Snead with his hand-eye coordination and ability to catch nearly any ball thrown his way.

"He is a guy we could have easily drafted," Snead said. "From a production standpoint, he is ranked No. 1. With a guy like him, it's always hard to figure out how he goes about getting open and getting all that production, but he does it consistently and you bet on a guy like that at this level."

Spruce was projected by some to be selected on the final day of the draft. He spent the draft at home playing cards with his younger brother and sister while waiting to hear his name called on the TV.

"It was kind of stressful because I was kind of on the borderline thinking I might get that call," Spruce said. "Obviously when it didn't happen, I was a little disappointed. But I am really happy with the way things worked out."

Neal Spruce ended a business trip in China early so he could fly home and be with his son for the draft.

"It was very difficult for me to watch because I felt so bad for him," said Neal Spruce, a former professional bodybuilder. "He had worked so hard and did everything he needed to do and it didn't happen. I think he felt like he let other people down, but he never did. Everyone is proud of all he's done and will continue to do."

It's not the first time Spruce has been overlooked.

He wasn't a highly recruited prospect out of Westlake High, yet flourished in the Pac-12 at Colorado. Spruce hopes to chart a similar course in the NFL.

"I've always been under the radar, so I'm kind of excited about the challenge," Spruce said. "I get the chance to earn every bit of what I get out here and I'm looking forward to that."

Spruce uses his high IQ to compensate for any physical disparities on the field. He was an all-academic selection all four years at Colorado and graduated with a dual degree in operations management and finance.

He read defenses from every receiving spot at Colorado and called out plays.

Although Spruce's statistics seemed draft-worthy, his measurable athletic numbers may have kept teams away.

He ran a 40-yard dash time of 4.69 seconds at the combine and 4.56 at his pro day.

"He tested more in the average area and that usually knocks a player out the draft per se," Snead said. "Usually those kids are aware that maybe they are not the fastest or the most explosive, but they have learned how to play and get open and find holes in zones or beat man in their own really instinctual way."

Spruce has a head start on the other Rams receivers in establishing a connection with rookie quarterback Jared Goff.

They are both represented by REP 1 Sports, headed by brothers Bruce and Ryan Tollner. Spruce and Goff worked out together and lived in the same complex for four months during their draft training.

"Any little advantage I can get I am going to take," Spruce said. "That little chemistry we have is definitely going to pay off, especially to begin with."

Being in constant contact with the Tollners while pursuing Goff as the No. 1 overall pick likely helped the Rams sign Spruce.

"During the whole process I would talk to Ryan at least twice a day for a few months there chasing the quarterback. Every now and then we talked about Nelson," Snead said. "We really recruited him at the end with our OC Rob Boras and Coach Fish. But I have a feeling Jared made a call as well."

With his son now signed with the Rams, Neal Spruce's NFL loyalties will have to change.

"I am a 49ers fan. I grew up in San Francisco for the first 35 years of my life, so it will be difficult for me to have to root for the Rams," he said. "But now I have a dog in the fight for the Rams."

Getting to spend more time with Nelson has been added benefit for the Spruce family.

"He hasn't lived at home since he was 17. The day he graduated I literally put him a car to Colorado for college," Neal Spruce said. "It's been pleasant to have him back here."

Spruce said Fisher offered to let him sleep at home this week, but he decided to stay at the Residence Inn. He wants to become fully immersed in the NFL experience.

If Spruce makes the regular-season roster, he'll be even closer to home for practice at Cal Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks.

"I am just thankful for the opportunity," Spruce said. "And I am hoping to make the most of it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

images

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Spruce will make the roster. Hands and gets open. The Shehawks have made hay with those types for a few years now. Too many Rams dropped passes over the years. If Quick makes the team and Spruce doesn't I will be pretty disappointed. I usually like the Rams moves, so maybe it will be the other way around.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Been watching him for 3+ years. Unbelievable he went undrafted. Spruce has made CB's that are now in the NFL look silly. Straight line speed is not his forte, but that hardly ever equates in the NFL for WR's. Spruce has uncanny agility in juke moves and runs real sharp routes.. Not only is he a willing and very good blocker, he plays special teams and does punt returns. Spruce is a football player, reminds me of a guy like Havenstien. Goes un-noticed and quietly gets the job done.Think Snisher will like that?

So far in OTA's, Goff has targeted Spruce more than any other WR. they hooked up for a 20 yd TD today. I'm not the only one who thinks Spruce has a leg up on all the other UDFA WR's. Check out Gary Klien and Lindsey Thiry's video over at RFU and Vinny Bogsignore's tweet for today.

Goff to Spruce, 1st down!

Welker II?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
His dad was a pro bodybuilder, no wonder the guys arms look like they were chiseled out of stone! I still think his ticket is special teams

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Imagine hearing Sprrruuuuuuuccceeee from the fans at the Coliseum on a TD or big play catch from Goff.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You love this guy eh bubba? It's good to hear though. I'm anxious to see him come pre-season.
I'm anxious to see ALL the WR's! I think it's going to be a Battle, and some Hard choices to make!!:snicker::shades::popcorn:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
On a side note.
Vinnie was on local radio here in LA yesterday.
He said Gurley is looking absolutely rediculous. Said he can't wait to see Gurley in pads, because he is just so much better than anyone on the field.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
On a side note.
Vinnie was on local radio here in LA yesterday.
He said Gurley is looking absolutely rediculous. Said he can't wait to see Gurley in pads, because he is just so much better than anyone on the field.
Apparently he ran a 4.57 40 at his Pro day. That's not all that slow and of course route running skills, which Spruce apparently has, are not sprinting.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Quick makes the team and Spruce doesn't I will be pretty disappointed.
Don't be....from what I've seen over the Snisher era, if a guy beats out another, it's usually based on skills....
Imo, Spruce is more of a slot wr...much like Cooper, Williams, and Bradley. Plus, Tavon strikes me as a primary slot guy....I doubt he would replace a guy that works outside the numbers...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/4/19/11446684/nelson-spruce-colorado-nfl-draft-2016-wide-receiver

Nelson Spruce wants to prove being a NFL WR is about more than a 40-yard dash time
By Adam Stites@AdamBCC/ Apr 19, 2016

usa-today-8238669.0.jpg

Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Spruce is the all-time leader in receptions in the Pac-12, but underwhelmed at the 2016 NFL Combine.

Colorado wide receiver Nelson Spruce was among the most productive wide receivers in college, racking up 195 receptions, 2,251 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns in his final two seasons, despite playing in a below-average offense.

Spruce finished as the school's all-time leader in every major receiving category and set the Pac-12 record for career receptions (294), previously held by former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Mike Thomas while at Arizona.

But the NFL Draft doesn't reward college production as much as it attempts to project a player's ability to produce against NFL talent. Statistics become secondary figures next to measurables like height, weight and speed. And at 6'1, 206 pounds with a 4.69 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, Spruce doesn't particularly stand out in any category, even after he cut his 40 time by a tenth of a second at Colorado's pro day.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KwIqIsVZCs

"I feel like nowadays there's so much emphasis put on 40 [yard dash] times," Spruce said. "I like receivers that really take pride in their craft and are really detailed in their route-running, have good hands, stuff like that. I don't think that straight-line speed is really as important if you can do other things like that."

Many of the greatest NFL receivers have managed to find success despite subpar marks at the Combine. No player has tallied more receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns in the NFL than Jerry Rice, who ran his 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, according to Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh.

At the 2016 NFL Combine, Spruce singled out another receiver who has put together a Hall of Fame résumé despite underwhelming times.

"I like watching Larry Fitzgerald," Spruce told reporters. "He's a great receiver, runs great routes. He's not the fastest guy, but you see what type of career he has."

What Rice and Fitzgerald both managed to do, though, was find separation from defensive backs with crisp routes and explosiveness out of their breaks. Many experts have doubts that Spruce will be able to be that player.

"His production had our area scout over-grading him," one AFC general manager told Lance Zierlein of NFL.com. "But once you get past what he can't do and focus on what he can do you feel better about him as a late round guy who can help your team."

Spruce knows that to be an asset in the NFL, he'll likely have to contribute in more ways than one and show off versatility that was rarely on display in college.

"I played outside a lot at Colorado, but given my skill set I think that to start, I might be better in the slot," Spruce said. "Going into Colorado, when I first started out, I was just in the slot, but the final three years I was mostly outside. That's one thing I wish I got to do more, work on the inside, so it's something I'm looking forward to doing at the next level.

"And I know I'm going to have to do special teams as well, which I'm also looking forward to because it's something I never really got a chance to do at Colorado because of my role on the offense. I'll feel comfortable no matter what I have to do."

Either way, Spruce will almost definitely have to wait until the third day of the 2016 NFL Draft to hear his name called. But five years ago he was an unheralded three-star receiver from Westlake (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) High School, who ranked as the No. 1,016 recruit for the Class of 2011, according to 247 Sports. Attempting to prove doubters wrong is a feeling he's used to.

"Ever since I started football I've been a guy under the radar," Spruce said. "For whatever reason going into this draft, it feels like a similar situation than when I was coming out of high school. I've always been able to work hard enough and find ways to be successful no matter what level I'm at.

"In my game, the way that I play, you know obviously you want to be as fast as you can, but I don't think it's as vital for me. I think my route-running, I think my knowledge of the game is kind of how I find my success."

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Spruce is 1/2 - 1 second off Edelman and Amendola, 2" taller and 10-20 lbs. heavier, which should help make teams.
Not super concerned about his straight line speed.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"I like receivers that really take pride in their craft and are really detailed in their route-running, have good hands, stuff like that. I don't think that straight-line speed is really as important if you can do other things like that."

This.