Vinny on TST with Josh Webb

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some good stuff from Vinny on Goff, Robinson, and a bunch of other stuff from what he's seen at OTAs.

And yeah, that's me that Josh is joking about in the opening.

Turf Show Times

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some highlights because of the length of the podcast and this courtesy of RockRam off the herd.

First, these are just the ones I remember.
Second, I think Vinny B. is every bit as much a go-to and authentic source as Randy K was in St. Louis. Level headed, knowledgeable.

1) McVay has brought in a terrific staff and they are first and foremost teachers. Positive attitudes and styles; no running down the players. And for the first time in years, development is the goal. Whatever the potential is of the offensive players is going to be brought out by this staff.
2) In Fisher's time, development was an afterthought.
3) In Fisher's time, it was crazy how they brought Goff in and then did NOTHING to help him. First year OC who had NEVER worked with QBs. A QB coach who had extremely limited experience in coaching QBs. WRs who simply did not run good routes and didn't catch the ball. Horrid Oline.
4) Other teams had no respect for the Rams passing game and so designed their D's to stop #30. And they did.
5) McVay clearly was wise (and humble) in bringing in Phillips and simply turning over the D to him, because McVay had no usable experience in running Ds.
6) Whitworth just a huge addition. He changes the locker room culture, is a vocal leader, and is a guy who takes the Oline to another level all by himself.
7) Joe Sullivan is really smart and is good Center. The only thing will be if he can stay healthy. Big upgrade.
8) GRob's biggest problem was lack of confidence. He has all the tools. RT is a chance to gain confidence. Wants to be good; really cares.
9) Enormous Oline. Positively scary huge.
10) Jamon Brown is also getting work at RT (they're not moving Havenstein around).
11) Goff looks entirely different. He is bigger, more vocal, more in charge, confident body language.
12) Woods will help the running game as much as the passing game; a superb blocking WR. A precise route runner with excellent hands.
13) Don't count out Spruce. He's healthy. And he had the team made last year if not for the injury. McVays type of WR.
14) Higbee is going to be a big part of the offense.
15) Everett is as advertised; fast and sudden, can get open at any level.
16) Joyner is going to be a good fit at FS. Hits a ton for guy who looks too little to do that.
17) Vinny feels like the Rams found someone special in McVay; a young energetic guy, but an "old soul". Mature and wise way beyond his years. Brings an entire new vibe to the team.
18) Thinks in the longer run Reynolds is going to be a dangerous and productive WR. Needs to get his body better, and just learn.
19) Lots of good RB candidates to back up Gurley.
20) Some question as to whether Gurley fits with McVay's offense. But the drafting of a FB shows that the Rams are serious about giving Gurley every opportunity to shine. The type of FB has to be versatile in McVay's offense, and that's why this pick of Rogers who is good receiver out of the backfield.
21) McVay's passing game all about timing, route running, being in the right place at the right time. Kupp, Woods, and Spruce perfectly fit that description. And, they have terrific hands.....ball won't hit the ground very often.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Alot here to get excited about.
I'm really impressed with the commitment to get Goff going by surrounding him with talent. Something we never really accomplished with Bradford.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One thing for sure McVay has sold the media for now and I don't disagree I feel the Rams hired one heck of a football coach and the staff seems ready to be something special. This year has a similar vibe to 1973 under a very young Head Coach Chuck Knox (41) and coaching staff that had the likes of Leeman Bennett, Ken Meyer, Dick Vermeil, Ray Prochaska on offense & Ray Malavasi, Tom Catlin & Jim Wagstaff on defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Second, I think Vinny B. is every bit as much a go-to and authentic source as Randy K was in St. Louis. Level headed, knowledgeable.

Thanks for summarizing that. I didn't listen to the entire thing due to the grating quality of the recording and main dude's voice.

Vinny is turning into a real nice asset for us, no doubt. And to take that a step further, I think McVay is also part of that equation. I suspect he gives some of these guys like Vinny and Schrager some nuggets of inside info off the record, which is great for building rapport with the press and eventually it affects story material for all of us. I've also noticed some Rams front office types giving out "off the record" nuggets, which is a good thing. IMO Fish kept too tight of a ship with those guys and didn't make it easy on them like this regime does.

Yeah McVay is definitely special. I think the Grudens pointed the Rams in the right direction and it's going to pay enormous dividends for all of us.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
One thing for sure McVay has sold the media for now and I don't disagree I feel the Rams hired one heck of a football coach and the staff seems ready to be something special. This year has a similar vibe to 1973 under a very young Head Coach Chuck Knox (41) and coaching staff that had the likes of Leeman Bennett, Ken Meyer, Dick Vermeil, Ray Prochaska on offense & Ray Malavasi, Tom Catlin & Jim Wagstaff on defense.
McVay has alsalso stepped into a pretty good situation for a new coach of any age. Our Rams are not completely void of talent. It's a much different situation than when Fisher took over. if we can get some offensive production out of these guys this year, we can get over .500 for the first time in way too many years.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay has alsalso stepped into a pretty good situation for a new coach of any age. Our Rams are not completely void of talent. .

True, but the last .500 record was in 2006 and the last post season appearance was 2004. McVay is not to be confused with Vance Joseph the new Head Coach of the Denver Broncos.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Some highlights because of the length of the podcast and this courtesy of RockRam off the herd.

1) McVay has brought in a terrific staff and they are first and foremost teachers. Positive attitudes and styles; no running down the players. And for the first time in years, development is the goal. Whatever the potential is of the offensive players is going to be brought out by this staff.
2) In Fisher's time, development was an afterthought.
3) In Fisher's time, it was crazy how they brought Goff in and then did NOTHING to help him. First year OC who had NEVER worked with QBs. A QB coach who had extremely limited experience in coaching QBs. WRs who simply did not run good routes and didn't catch the ball. Horrid Oline.
4) Other teams had no respect for the Rams passing game and so designed their D's to stop #30. And they did.
5) McVay clearly was wise (and humble) in bringing in Phillips and simply turning over the D to him, because McVay had no usable experience in running Ds.
6) Whitworth just a huge addition. He changes the locker room culture, is a vocal leader, and is a guy who takes the Oline to another level all by himself.
7) Joe Sullivan is really smart and is good Center. The only thing will be if he can stay healthy. Big upgrade.
8) GRob's biggest problem was lack of confidence. He has all the tools. RT is a chance to gain confidence. Wants to be good; really cares.
9) Enormous Oline. Positively scary huge.
10) Jamon Brown is also getting work at RT (they're not moving Havenstein around).
11) Goff looks entirely different. He is bigger, more vocal, more in charge, confident body language.
12) Woods will help the running game as much as the passing game; a superb blocking WR. A precise route runner with excellent hands.
13) Don't count out Spruce. He's healthy. And he had the team made last year if not for the injury. McVays type of WR.
14) Higbee is going to be a big part of the offense.
15) Everett is as advertised; fast and sudden, can get open at any level.
16) Joyner is going to be a good fit at FS. Hits a ton for guy who looks too little to do that.
17) Vinny feels like the Rams found someone special in McVay; a young energetic guy, but an "old soul". Mature and wise way beyond his years. Brings an entire new vibe to the team.
18) Thinks in the longer run Reynolds is going to be a dangerous and productive WR. Needs to get his body better, and just learn.
19) Lots of good RB candidates to back up Gurley.
20) Some question as to whether Gurley fits with McVay's offense. But the drafting of a FB shows that the Rams are serious about giving Gurley every opportunity to shine. The type of FB has to be versatile in McVay's offense, and that's why this pick of Rogers who is good receiver out of the backfield.
21) McVay's passing game all about timing, route running, being in the right place at the right time. Kupp, Woods, and Spruce perfectly fit that description. And, they have terrific hands.....ball won't hit the ground very often.
G-Rob . I'm exited ....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
G-Rob . I'm exited ....

Would be a very nice surprise. I doubt he sticks as one of our best five though. IMO Jamon Brown will beat someone out, and he comes with flexibility inside/outside. IF somehow Brown ends up being the first guy off the bench, this OL is going to be something.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
True, but the last .500 record was in 2006 and the last post season appearance was 2004. McVay is not to be confused with Vance Joseph the new Head Coach of the Denver Broncos.
Yeah. Vane got a pretty good gig.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
This year has a similar vibe to 1973 under a very young Head Coach Chuck Knox (41) and coaching staff that had the likes of Leeman Bennett, Ken Meyer, Dick Vermeil, Ray Prochaska on offense & Ray Malavasi, Tom Catlin & Jim Wagstaff on defense.

I always like it when you throw in your knowledge and History of the Rams past coaches/players @den-the-coach (y)

The past history of Rams coaches and some of the possible parallels to the present staff, is both intriguing and an interesting correlation.

McVay and his staff haven't even won their first game yet but the off-season buzz and excitement they've invigorated in most of us fans has been off the charts.

I have no idea if McVay and his "posse" are going win 6 games or 10 games in 2017, but I haven't had this much faith in the stability and possible long term success for this franchise since they hired Vermeil. Training camp can't get here soon enough!

fa69036af50304a9c4903b8c9482bf2e.jpg
82451393_180.jpg

nfl_coaches1x_576.jpg

quote-if-you-don-t-invest-very-much-then-defeat-doesn-t-hurt-very-much-and-winning-is-not-dick-vermeil-54-22-29.jpg

"When you believe in yourself and the people you surround yourself with, you will win something really big someday"- Dick Vermeil

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just a ton of encouraging feedback there from Vinny. A TON.

But the two most meaningful?

I would have to say the comments about Goff and about GRob, don't you think?

Could be monumental improvements that each bode well for increasing wins this year.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would have to say the comments about Goff and about GRob, don't you think?

I for one have always held out hope for Robinson. I realize most of it could be mental, but let's see how he responds to Aaron Kromer and it also seems they are going to leave Havenstein at RG and if they make a change at right tackle, it will be Jamon Brown.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Thanks for posting Coach!! Vinny seems to have a handle with the on-goings with the team, so his 1st-hand info is vey real. This coaching staff appears very capable of getting the most out of our players------something that was foreign to the last regime. Their commitment to teaching will pay huge dividends, even this year. Great listening to this.
Thanks again!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope springs eternal, before the pads get donned.I WANT to be thrilled by articles like the one above, and usually do. I am somewhat optimistic about progress, but I want to see full pads and tackling in preseason games before I go off the rails again, this year.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Saying Fisher wasn't focused on development isn't shocking to me. Plenty of guys who never really made jumps from year to year that should have been doing so.

Also not shocked that he knew nothing about the offense.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Some question as to whether Gurley fits with McVay's offense. But the drafting of a FB shows that the Rams are serious about giving Gurley every opportunity to shine.

Who is the guy talking about how this is going to be "such a awkward and difficult
transition for Gurley"? He says that" running in Fishers offense is the fabric of Gurley's being."
That "he is just so used to running fishers offense."

WTF is this guy even talking about? Two years playing for Fisher and Fisher's offense is
the fabric of Gurley's being?LOL
He talks as if Gurley will fail in Mcvay's system.

Don't think we drafted our fullback just to catch passes in the flat.
Mcvay will be running some power schemes.
And I am sure there will some absolutely nasty runs drawn up
out of Mcvay's favorite "12 Personnel".
If there was someone that I be would concerned about
making the transition to the new Offense,Gurley wouldn't
be it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The comments on GRob are encouraging. The guy has the talent and the size to be a great T. I watched him pancake Quinn and Donald last year in TC. He also stood up Brockers when he was in at G. the comment that he lacks confidence is probably right on. Lets hope Kromer can get him "confident".

ninedeuce

Rookie
Just listened to it. It's really encouraging to hear about the new staff's emphasis on teaching and development. I gotta say I really can't wait for training camp to start. I kinda wish we were on Hard Knocks again this year just to see first hand the contrast in coaching styles.