Vince Young rules out the Canadian option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Vince Young rules out the Canadian option
Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2014

young.jpg
Getty Images

Quarterback Vince Young, the third overall pick in the 2006 draft (yes, it’s been eight years), still wants to get back to the NFL.

If Young can’t, he won’t be going elsewhere. Specifically, he won’t be joining Chad Johnson in the CFL.

No disrespect to Canada,” Young told Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston. “They’ve got some great players that I know play out there, great sport as well, but it’s never been an option for me.”

While it appears that the NFL has closed its collective doors on Young, Young continues to believe that an NFL door will open.

“I’ve been getting some calls, some interest,” said Young, who has played for the Titans, Eagles, Bills (briefly), and Packers (even more briefly). “That’s the good part about it. You never know what’s going to happen with that. I have my agent out there working.”

While Young remains, like several other players, caught in a Bruce-Willis-before-the-ring-hit-the-floor-in-The-Sixth-Sense dream in which he’s the last one to know his career is dead, Young is smart enough to know it doesn’t pay to go to Canada. Alex Marvez of FOX Sports recently reported that Johnson will get $70,000 this year in Montreal.

Which translates to $63,000 in American dollars. Which isn’t all that much.

Young said that, if an NFL comeback doesn’t happen, he’ll go back to Austin and take a position with the Longhorns. Which likely will pay more than $63,000 per year.

“Just being like an ambassador,” Young said. “Doing a lot of speaking engagements. Just letting you know what we have going on, especially helping kids get scholarships and recognizing things like that. Whatever it is, I just want to be a supporter of the university.”

Given that Young never got paid when he played at a very high level for Texas, the least they can do is pay him now.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Young was a man among boys during perhaps the greatest football championship game in college history versus USC. This became obvious during the final 5 minutes of the game where a tired and relatively small USC defense could not handle (tackle) the larger and more powerful QB. I still find it ironic that the QB leaders of two outstanding offenses flopped so badly as pro's.....try to keep that in mind next month as I'm sure we will see surprising and unanticipated selections in the early rounds. One things obvious, stats don't always translate to the playing field...."and away we go."