Vince Young retires, hints about his spat with Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Vince Young says NFL career likely over
By Brent Carney

350x-436.jpg

AP

Vince Young considers himself retired from the NFL.

“It’s definitely official I think in my book,” Young said Saturday at his annual football camp in Round Rock. “Unless we get a great opportunity, something guaranteed…other than that I’ve started moving forward in some things.”

“I love the NFL, will love the game always but I’m kind of moving forward and moving on right now.”

Young has said previously he would likely take a job with the University of Texas as an ambassador for the school once his playing career ended. That’s still part of his plan. “Right now we’re going through details,” Young said Saturday.

Young last played in an NFL regular season game with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2011. He went to minicamp with the Cleveland Browns in May but was released less than two weeks later after the team drafted Johnny Manziel.

The third overall pick of the Tennessee Titans in 2006, Young twice was selected to the Pro Bowl but clashed with head coach Jeff Fisher and was cut by the team in 2010.

“I had my ups and downs. I made the mistake of getting in to it with my coach and that kind of hurt me a whole lot. When you go to different teams, they already have a bad perception of you. When that’s out there, there’s nothing you can do,” he said.

After a season in Philadelphia as the Eagles backup quarterback, Young was cut in training camp by the Buffalo Bills in 2012 and the Green Bay Packers in 2013.

“That’s what everyone else focuses on, I don’t focus on that. It wasn’t too bad,” Young said of his struggles in the NFL . “I’m very happy and thankful for living the dream I had as a kid.”

Vince Young says he’s retired, ready to move on
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 14, 2014

Apparently, getting cut after two weeks in May with the Browns was a sign.

Former No. 3 overall pick Vince Young told Brent Carney of KXAN that he was retiring, and ready to take a job with the University of Texas.

It’s definitely official I think in my book,” Young said. “Unless we get a great opportunity, something guaranteed, . . . other than that I’ve started moving forward in some things.

“I love the NFL, will love the game always but I’m kind of moving forward and moving on right now.”

Young saw every end of the football spectrum, earning a pair of Pro Bowl berths with the Titans, but later bouncing through stints as a backup or camp arm with the Eagles, Bills, Packers and Browns.

He said he thought his early spat with Titans coach Jeff Fisher hurt his reputation in later years.

“I had my ups and downs,” he said. “I made the mistake of getting in to it with my coach and that kind of hurt me a whole lot. When you go to different teams, they already have a bad perception of you. When that’s out there, there’s nothing you can do.”

Well, playing well might have been an option, since other players with baggage have gotten multiple chances.

moklerman

Warner-phile
“Unless we get a great opportunity, something guaranteed, . . . other than that I’ve started moving forward in some things."

Nothing like the will and drive to prove one's self.

A55VA6

Legend
He may say he's retiring but if for whatever reason a team calls him, he'll be on the next flight there. Unless he's just sick of failure, because that's pretty much all he is at this point.

Players LOVE Jeff Fisher and Fisher loves building relationships with his players... Vince Young is just a head case.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He may say he's retiring but if for whatever reason a team calls him, he'll be on the next flight there. Unless he's just sick of failure, because that's pretty much all he is at this point.

Players LOVE Jeff Fisher and Fisher loves building relationships with his players... Vince Young is just a head case.

Yeah , he was a QB who insisted on behaving like a wr. had a lot of talent ,but just wasn't a guy Fisher could trust.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Agreed. He's "retired" because no one wants him right now. You would have thought someone would have at least wanted him as a long term backup.

I'd be kind of interested to know who the current record holder is for longest time not signed with a team and still technically not retired.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I like the kid. But my guess is his surrounded by family interests that didn't always jive with his best interest.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“Unless we get a great opportunity, something guaranteed, . . . other than that I’ve started moving forward in some things."

Nothing like the will and drive to prove one's self.

That's part of his issue I wold bet. A sense of entitlement. He's a knucklehead. He pissed through all of his money.....he was paid 35 million and he filed bankruptcy. He was drafted in 2006 and a few years later he was broke!!!

RamsFan14

Starter
Jeff Fisher and Vince Young are an interesting story to say the least... Many rumors about Fisher not wanting to draft him in the first place. Young's last two seasons with the Titans were pretty solid, he just couldn't keep that attitude together. Some of the outside pressure got to him imo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Jeff Fisher and Vince Young are an interesting story to say the least... Many rumors about Fisher not wanting to draft him in the first place. Young's last two seasons with the Titans were pretty solid, he just couldn't keep that attitude together. Some of the outside pressure got to him imo.

I don't think it was rumor. Fisher flat out didn't want him and Bud Adams forced the draft pick. Couple that with the fact he wasn't very good and disaster ensues.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think it's a testament to Fisher and his staff that they could take a guy they never wanted in the first place and plan around his flaws to the extent that he made a probowl. Because he's actually quite far from being a probowl player on his own. At the moment he's not even good enough to warm a bench in the NFL. Pretty huge drop off.

Speeps

Starter
I mean, if you're a player, and you clash with a beloved player's coach like Jeff Fisher...why would anyone want you? You have to have a serious mental deficiency.