Vikings not sure what to do with Sam Bradford beyond 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...things-in-flux-with-sam-bradford-beyond-2017/

Rick Spielman: “Everything’s in flux” with Sam Bradford beyond 2017
Posted by Josh Alper on February 23, 2017

630765582-e1487884825158.jpg
Getty Images

Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said Thursday that the Vikings haven’t decided what they’ll do with running back Adrian Peterson and the same is true when it comes to quarterback Sam Bradford beyond the 2017 season.

Bradford is entering the final year of his contract and the uncertainty about Teddy Bridgewater’s health means that the Vikings will be picking up the $18 million cap hit. The Vikings traded first- and fourth-round picks for him following Bridgewater’s severe knee injury last summer, something Spielman said that he’d do “over in a second” given the position the Vikings were in.

He was less committal about what the team was thinking about for 2018. Spielman included Bradford among players whose contracts needed to be addressed, but gave no indication about the team’s plans.

“Everything’s in flux right now,” Spielman said, via Tom Pelissero of USA Today. “So, I’ll just leave it at that.”

Spielman said “everybody’s hoping” Bridgewater can play again, but that the quarterback hasn’t done any football drills at this point in his recovery. His progress in the coming months will likely play a role in any decision about Bradford’s future, although it will be hard to give up the bird in the hand should the Vikings find their way back to a winning record in 2017.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Idk about you, but I wouldn't touch Teddy Two Gloves with a 20 foot pole after this injury. I'm not really sure what is difficult about the decision. Bradford outplayed Bridgewater by a mile in a half last season. I think you keep Sammy for as long as he produces. No reason they can't make the playoffs next year.

Ram65

Legend
They were 8-8 last year. I don't see them taking a QB in the draft early. Bridgewater had a very serious injury so he maybe less than he was. Sammy has a good deal iirc around 22M this year. get him signed up for a couple more years and start developing a young QB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I always questioned Teddy's ability to lead a team even if healthy. As I watched him in the NFL, that health issue struck me big time. He plays frail. Looks like they have a choice between balsa wood and tissue paper. Makes me so sad for the viqueens..... NOT!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Vikings are fucked.

Bridgewater won't be ready for a long time and even if he is he's not going to be the same and is only average anyway. Bradford is average and injury prone. If they don't get a QB in this draft they will have to find one in the next. If I was the GM I'd offer Bradford and some draft picks to get Romo or Cousins. And I would let Peterson walk, he's nowhere near worth the money at this point in his career.

I hope the Vikings suck forever myself.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I still like Bradford and his game a ton. He's stayed pretty healthy since leaving the Rams, and last year he put up career numbers in passer rating, yards, TD to INT rate, yards per catch, and set an NFL accuracy record.

On top of that, this will be, I believe, the first time in his career he's gone into a season with the same offensive coordinator and system as the previous, yes? Shurmur in '10, McDaniels in '11, Schottenheimer in '12... I guess Schottenheimer was still there in '13, and Bradford was on pace for a 30 TD season when he tore up his knee. Kelly in '15.

Now going into his second (not full, since he took over late last year, but he's played in it and has a full offseason) season under Shurmur, a system he was comfortable in as a rookie... IF the Vikings can have actual offensive linemen rather than five oversized gumball dispensers lined up next to each other, I think it might be a fun season to watch him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Vikings are freaked.

Bridgewater won't be ready for a long time and even if he is he's not going to be the same and is only average anyway. Bradford is average and injury prone. If they don't get a QB in this draft they will have to find one in the next. If I was the GM I'd offer Bradford and some draft picks to get Romo or Cousins. And I would let Peterson walk, he's nowhere near worth the money at this point in his career.

I hope the Vikings suck forever myself.
I would not be surprised at all If Peterson is let go or traded! I fully expect the Vikings to Draft a running back, or go after one in the FA market!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I would not be surprised at all If Peterson is let go or traded! I fully expect the Vikings to Draft a running back, or go after one in the FA market!

I'm not sure anyone will make that trade. He has a base salary of 11.75MIL and is due a bonus in March of 6MIL. The bonus is due two days after the trade market opens so I think they will try to trade him but won't be able to.

He's been injury prone the last few years and will be well over 32 years old when the season starts and has 2659 touches, which is part the 2500 mark when almost every RB ever starts to drop like a rock.

I think you will most certainly see them draft a RB this year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If you're making long-term plans that involve Sam Bradford... you're fucked.

The viqueens should do it. They deserve it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He has a base salary of 11.75MIL and is due a bonus in March of 6MIL. The bonus is due two days after the trade market opens
Where ever Peterson is in 2017, I don't see anyone will be interested in paying him this kind of money!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Don't forget AP was averaging 1.9 yards per carry and had yet to find the endzone when he went down last season...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, Peterson is probably done.

Bradford is good enough to win with. That's half the battle finding a QB. Besides, he buys them time to see where Bridgewater is at.

No need to make any decision with Sam.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Peterson is probably done.

Bradford is good enough to win with. That's half the battle finding a QB. Besides, he buys them time to see where Bridgewater is at.

No need to make any decision with Sam.
Exactly
Sam may not have had a lot of success on the field in his career, but he sure has had a lot of success financially. He's in a great spot here as if TB isn't ready to come back in 17 or beyond, Bradford can hold them over a barrell

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I still like Bradford and his game a ton. He's stayed pretty healthy since leaving the Rams, and last year he put up career numbers in passer rating, yards, TD to INT rate, yards per catch, and set an NFL accuracy record.

His YPC was the lowest of his career actually. And there was an article written about how he set the NFL record by throwing the ball essentially to guys standing 15 feet away. Someone posted it shortly after the season. It was a really good breakdown. He was throwing out of the shotgun about 85% of the time and chucking it right away. Lots of QB's would have broken the record with that style of play. You may remember how little it wins games when Bradford and Shurmur were on the Rams.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing about Bradford, not one single thing, that is above average other than how far he can throw a ball. I'm glad he's gone.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
His YPC was the lowest of his career actually. And there was an article written about how he set the NFL record by throwing the ball essentially to guys standing 15 feet away. Someone posted it shortly after the season. It was a really good breakdown. He was throwing out of the shotgun about 85% of the time and chucking it right away. Lots of QB's would have broken the record with that style of play. You may remember how little it wins games when Bradford and Shurmur were on the Rams.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing about Bradford, not one single thing, that is above average other than how far he can throw a ball. I'm glad he's gone.
Ah, that was my mistake, it was his yards per attempt that was a career best. I was looking at his ESPN stats which has "Average" - I assumed that was YPC, not YPA.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ah, that was my mistake, it was his yards per attempt that was a career best. I was looking at his ESPN stats which has "Average" - I assumed that was YPC, not YPA.

Yes he finally got over 7 YPA didn't he?

FRO

Legend
Sam Bradford had 8 days to get acclimated to a new offense and different players as well as coaches. 8 days. His best offensive players battled injuries. His line sucked when healthy and they were decimated by injuries. Yet on top of all that Bradford had a great year. Get him acclimated to the system. Improve the supporting cast and build with him. He's a good QB who has had to have had the worst circumstances as anyone who has been in the league.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sammy 2 sleeves is the greatest mediocre QB ever. Never seen another QB with his resume get so much <3. It truly is a mystery to me...