Vikings in trade talks for Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
[www.dailynorseman.com]

NFL Draft: Vikings In Trade Talks With Rams For Sam Bradford

First off, hat tip to the Viking Age for seeing this tweet first, and shame on me for living here in St. Louis and missing it.

What tweet, you ask? Here:

Tim McKernan is a fairly well respected sports talk guy here in town, so I don't think this is just one of those wild rumors people throw out, just to see what sticks. I had seen a couple of real nebulous tweets on my timeline over the weekend that mentioned a trade near the top of the draft, involving a quarterback, and that it would send ripples throughout the NFL.

Yeah, check, check, and check on all accounts. As a guy that lives in St. Louis, let me give you a little perspective on Sam Bradford--I really like him, but as a guy that made $50 million guaranteed, he's starting to wear out his welcome here. It's not nearly as bad as the Ponder situation in Minnesota, but there's a growing sentiment of discontent among a vocal portion of the fan base.

He hasn't had much to work with in his four years with the Rams, and a lot of that discontent is with the team in general, at least I think so. Of course, the QB takes all the blame and gets all the credit, so a lot of arrows are headed in Bradford's direction. He's also been hurt twice in his four year, to include a torn ACL last year.

That was really unfortunate for him, though, as he really seemed to make a lot of strides. At the time of his injury, which came in the 7th game of the year, he had thrown for 1,687 yards, 14 TD passes, only four interceptions, and a career high QB rating of 90.9.

So is this something that could make sense? Yeah, it could. Bradford is a big, pocket passer guy--almost a prototypical Norv Turner quarterback, if he could pick one. Big arm, smart, and has enough experience running an NFL offense. So yeah, I believe Bradford is a guy that the Vikings could be targeting in a trade.

But at what cost? The thing that makes me think that this isn't going to happen is because it really could really limit the Vikings on draft day. To get Bradford, as TVA pointed out, first off he'd have to re-structure his contract, as he is due to make close to $18 million this year.

But secondly, how would a Bradford trade work? Currently the Rams have two first round picks, the second and the 13th. If the Rams are targeting a QB in the draft, they can pick one at two, or they can pick one at 13. Coaxing a trade out of the Vikings isn't going to require the Rams to move up or down, negating the swapping of picks in either direction.

However, Turf Show Times is reporting a lot of smoke attached to the Rams and Johnny Manziel, and while the second pick is probably too early to take him, the thirteenth is probably too late. Which means the eighth pick...the Vikings pick...could be right in the Manziel wheelhouse. And that could really put this rumor into play.

I don't think there's any way Minnesota would trade their first round pick for Bradford straight up, but would the Rams be foolish enough to let him go for one of the third round picks the Vikes hold? I don't see that as a real possibility, either, because if they did that would leave them with only two quarterback on their roster, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill, neither of which are guys I'd want to start the season with. And then whoever they drafted, naturally.

When looking at this, there's a couple things that make me think this is a possibility, but there are more red flags that make me think this isn't feasible, unless other players would be involved.

Like...ahem...and this is my own, wild, unsubstantiated speculation that hasn't been confirmed by anyone, just so we're clear...Christian Ponder, for example. Ponder needs a new start, Bradford arguably needs a new one away from St. Louis. Swap QB's, Vikings throw in a late round pick, say a 4th or 5th rounder. Bradford re-does his deal, plus the Vikings lose the money from Ponder's cap number (just over $3 million), and now this seems doable.

At the end of the day, I still don't see this happening, but when you throw in that McKernan tweet, add in the 'Manziel and Rams' smoke, and a wheeler and dealer like GM Rick Spielman, anything is possible.

Anything.
“It’s a hard job. If these guys don’t play well, don’t produce, if too many get hurt, you’re probably not going to have a job. It’s almost like politicians – I wish they would make decisions on one term in office. GMs have to get out of the way of politics, get out of the way of long term, do what they think is right for the team.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 01:04PM by rfip the second.
Edit Reply Quote Report

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I'm sure there are also people in the league who believe in alien abduction.
I'll just wait for them to provide me with the proof.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
a lot of smoke attached to the Rams and Johnny Manziel

This...

V3

Hall of Fame
I've never hated the draft delay more than I do at this very moment.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
I'm just guessing if its true----we give them 13/Sam and we get 8 and their 3rd??

A55VA6

Legend
Shit is getting real folks.

What if Houston takes Manziel and ruins my party?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good God this draft needs to be over, but if the Rams trade Bradford (which I doubt) can you trade him to Cleveland or Jacksonville so the Rams don't have to play against him in week one.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good God this draft needs to be over, but if the Rams trade Bradford (which I doubt) can you trade him to Cleveland or Jacksonville so the Rams don't have to play against him in week one.
Wasn't even thinking about that.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
And while we are in the hypothetical, One little tidbit (credit Ram65 on another board for this blurb....) is the Vikings cap standing. From http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Vikings&Year=2014 it states the Vikings are not in that good of shape....

Minnesota Vikings 2014 Salary Cap
Est. Salary Cap Space: $10,305,841
Offensive Spend: 21 Players $61,429,905
Defensive Spend: 27 Players $53,405,785
Specials Spend: 3 Players $2,410,531

But from that I don't know how they can swing it.........

V3

Hall of Fame

I'm sure there are also people in the league who believe in alien abduction.
I'll just wait for them to provide me with the proof.

Careful what you wish for.
spacecraft.gif~c100

Slappy967

Starter
Yeah this seems completely insane and yet it sounds like something Snisher would pull off. Waiting to see if there is any other sources adding fuel to this fire.