Vikings have a chance at making Super Bowl history

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes we all know where the Super Bowl is being played this year, and we all know that no NFL team has ever played the Super Bowl in their home stadium. Minnesota has a shot at being the first to pull that off and make Super Bowl history but they won’t be the first team to have played the Super Bowl in their home state.

There have only been 3 NFL teams that have played a Super Bowl in their home state.

Super Bowl XI (1978): Oakland Raiders beat the Vikings at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA

Super Bowl XIV (1980): Los Angeles Rams lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA

Super Bowl XIX (1986): San Francisco 49ers beat the Miami Dolphins at Stanford Stadium in Stanford CA

Super Bowl XXXVII (2005): Oakland Raiders lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego CA

I know California has its share of NFL franchises and it’s a state with many Super Bowl worthy stadiums but what about Texas and Florida? I find it fascinating that only 3 teams have got to play in their home state in 51 years, never mind playing in their home stadium.

If Minnesota pulls off this feat it will be interesting to see how the tickets get distributed between the two fan bases.

jap

Legend
They will make history if they finally win a Super Bowl.

Ramon Ram

Starter
Not sure what the percentages are but each team gets X% of tickets with the remaining tickets being distributed to corporate sponsors.

Let's just say there are 75,000 tickets and each team gets 25,000 for their fan base. Then the remaining 25,000 get distributed to general public/corporate sponsors/ticket brokers.

Living in South Florida I can tell you that there were many tickets available from corporate and other avenues for the local fans to get. I was able to get tix for 2 games through my father in law who got them from vendors.
So there were plenty of fans from South Florida though we had no local rooting interest in San Fran vs San Diego or Atlanta vs Denver games.
If the Vikings are in the game there will be many of the 25,000 that end up in local fans hands so the ratio of the 75,000 ticket holders will be somewhere around 45,000 Vikings to 30,000 AFC team in my opinion. Big advantage to Vikings but hopefully they don't allow them to play that annoying Viking horn throughout the game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes we all know where the Super Bowl is being played this year, and we all know that no NFL team has ever played the Super Bowl in their home stadium. Minnesota has a shot at being the first to pull that off and make Super Bowl history but they won’t be the first team to have played the Super Bowl in their home state.

There have only been 3 NFL teams that have played a Super Bowl in their home state.

Super Bowl XI (1978): Oakland Raiders beat the Vikings at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA

Super Bowl XIV (1980): Los Angeles Rams lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA

Super Bowl XIX (1986): San Francisco 49ers beat the Miami Dolphins at Stanford Stadium in Stanford CA

Super Bowl XXXVII (2005): Oakland Raiders lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego CA

I know California has its share of NFL franchises and it’s a state with many Super Bowl worthy stadiums but what about Texas and Florida? I find it fascinating that only 3 teams have got to play in their home state in 51 years, never mind playing in their home stadium.

If Minnesota pulls off this feat it will be interesting to see how the tickets get distributed between the two fan bases.
Only 3 Teams, but it's happened 4 Times! The real record the Viqueens can set is Going to the SB 5 Times and LOSING 5 times! IF I'm not mistaken!:D ( I believe both the Bills & Viqueens have been there 4 Times each, and never Won!)