Video: Jeff Fisher tells his staff he's been fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know you're arrogant when;You use bluster and cheap tricks to demonstrate your confidence and mastery
tenor.gif

I wonder if he misplaced his challenge flag again? :LOL:
giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't feel sympathetic towards a guy who is going to end up making $42 million despite never getting his team to a .500 record.

Everything went wrong for the guy.

Never having consistency at QB, signing guys with all-pro records and Pro Bowl appearances that end up hurt, drafting not one, but TWO running backs that ended up with mental issues, a promising WR gets shot in the head, top pass rusher having back issues, 2 of his 3 CBs getting hurt, etc. I could go on.

There are a quite a number of legit criticisms for Jeff Fisher and friends, really all of them. The amount of crap he's gotten the past year or so, IMO is unnecessary.

I'd say that Raylan Givens's wisdom is applicable to this post:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

However, instead of assholes, it's things going wrong. If a few things go wrong for you, shit just went wrong. If everything goes wrong for you, you're the reason it went wrong.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Damn Bones almost fell backwards when Fisher said "I was just fired." I imagine if that table wasnt behind him he would of fell all the way... Must be hard, and Singletary showing class was great.

My favorite thing McVay did was retain Bones. He's just an awesome coach.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No remorse here. He was part of the privileged NFL coaching network. Very few get that chance and like most established head coaches he got two chances. He never adapted to the changes of the game. I was excited when he was hired but the options back then weren't good. That excitement was instantly drained the second he hired Schottenheimer as OC. I stuck behind him, despite disagreeing with his drafting philosophy. After Schottenheimer, when no decent OC wanted to work under the clench of his grip, and he hired in house, I was done rooting for him.

What I didn't like about him most was his arrogance and stubbornness. He refused to adapt and he was so arrogant about his small victories, like winning the NFC West. He came in with that trade of the second pick and arrogantly promised that he will never pick second again. Reminds me of Rex.

I am done with smugness, arrogance, etc . That stuff doesn't win football games. Give me a coach that has respect for his fellow coaches, is intelligent and he understands the modern game. Give me a guy who has humility and doesn't lie to the media. A coach that believes in accountability and failures can't be poo pooed away with an "aw shucks, we'll fix that". I want a coach that doesn't think a hug is how you fix things. Give me a coach that doesn't have emotional favorites that he hangs onto. Give me a guy that knows when to cut bait with players when they don't perform.

bnw

Pro Bowler
You mean the extension that was allegedly agreed to over the summer, and yet was kept secret until Fisher leaked it?

In any event my point is that Fisher being surprised he was on the hot seat after that disaster makes me wish they'd hire him back just so they could fire him again

Doesn't say anything about Fisher leaking info, though possible:

Despite those issues, and a coaching record of only six winning seasons in 21 (not including time as an interim coach), Fisher, the Rams acknowledged, was extended through 2018. It was, however, reported by multiple news media that the team (4-9) could terminate the deal after this season and owe him just a year’s salary.

The leaked details of the announcement created an uncomfortable scene for Fisher, who was forced to answer questions about the deal after his team lost, 26-10, to the Patriots on Dec. 4.

“It’s not my personal position to go ahead and release that stuff, so I was very appreciative with respect to Stan, knowing what we were going through,” Fisher told reporters. “And, you know, it somehow got out. So I am expecting to be the coach of the franchise; however, I fully understand that the wins and losses fall on my shoulders.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/sports/football/los-angeles-rams-jeff-fisher-fired.html

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't feel sympathetic towards a guy who is going to end up making $42 million despite never getting his team to a .500 record.

I'd say that Raylan Givens's wisdom is applicable to this post:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

However, instead of assholes, it's things going wrong. If a few things go wrong for you, crap just went wrong. If everything goes wrong for you, you're the reason it went wrong.

Agree. It's football, things go wrong all the time. It's how you handle it. His back up QBs all sucked. He didn't have to put his recovering QB in with his recovering LT. When Williams couldn't be the DC, he let it ride till the following year and hired the Detroit DB coach. I could go on and on. His decisions more than anything put him where he is.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
A number of predictable responses in this thread, particularly those rehashed opinions of Fisher's personality.

I would have preferred a different outcome and it sucks to be fired.

The guy made mistakes and got many things wrong but I feel for him as a human and it's clear he cared for his players.

There is plenty to respect about the man.

Sorry it didn't work out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When the camera goes on Boras you can almost see the "this is my fault" look on his face.
Great catch.....I thought I saw a hint of, " and who else???".
I feel sorry for the guy who gets fired who barely makes ends meet for his family.
I have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy who has been HC for 20+ years. There's an incredibly long list of folks who never get that opportunity.
MAN!!!!!! Dude basically is set for life....just on his 5 years here...and people are "sorry" for him???? Skewed perspective

I always wondered, had the game passed him by?? Would he get a lineman to settle the o-line? Jake Long blew the team up...I used to always wonder was Schotty terrible? He wasn't...Hard to understand....those long ass plays. But clearly better than Boras..and Cignetti. But that Jake Long signing...I think Sam Bradford was finished with the bullshit. Fisher isn't evolving with the game...or if he is, it's too slow. And too loyal to "friends" and their family members....which sunk the team...boudreau basically ran G-rob outta here...Kush probably looks at this train wreck and laughs...Reynolds too...I just grew to feel the guy could care less about winning, unless it was his way, by a score of 13 - 6.....

I don't feel sorry for him at all...I feel sorry for the guys whose careers he hindered or even completely ran out of the league....Sted....Pead...dudes like that...that RB from Vandy....chunky guy....one great season...some guys don't have enough talent to overcome poor coaching.

I saw Hekker crying...I wonder why?

Never good to see someone fired, but it was quite sad when it pans out and you start realizing it means a lot of the guys in the room are out too, without the golden parachute Fish gets.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Agree. It's football, things go wrong all the time. It's how you handle it.

I thought considering the sheer amount of injuries to very important positions, and always competing, he handled it quite well.

His back up QBs all sucked.

Well, considering they are at the NFL level I wouldn't say they "suck". The fact he managed to get the majority of his wins WITH said backup QBs says more about the coaching staff getting their players ready. Never once during the last 5 years did I feel going into Sunday the game was over before it even began.

He didn't have to put his recovering QB in with his recovering LT.

No, but he did. Everything was going according to plan to their injuries. That's the risk you take in preseason.

When Williams couldn't be the DC, he let it ride till the following year and hired the Detroit DB coach.

Huh?

I could go on and on.

Cool.

Well, DGB was widely regarded as "yuge" redzone target by media and internet fans alike. Many times, it's simply that the player can't handle the NFL.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I didn't care for Fisher in Chicago, Philly, the Rams in 1991, and especially Tennessee. Weren't a few of us calling him little Elvis? Remember the 2000 preseason scrimmage vs the TItans and their cheap-shotting? When the Rams hired him the 2nd time, I figured well maybe the stuff I didn't like him for may somehow be good for the Rams. I had no choice but to try to accept him.

On the rough tactics and the arrogance mentioned above, maybe a little bit of Buddy Ryan rubbed off on him. Jeff should just be himself. Arians reminds me of Ryan with his attitude.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I thought considering the sheer amount of injuries to very important positions, and always competing, he handled it quite well.

Well, considering they are at the NFL level I wouldn't say they "suck". The fact he managed to get the majority of his wins WITH said backup QBs says more about the coaching staff getting their players ready. Never once during the last 5 years did I feel going into Sunday the game was over before it even began.

No, but he did. Everything was going according to plan to their injuries. That's the risk you take in preseason.

Huh?

Cool.

Well, DGB was widely regarded as "yuge" redzone target by media and internet fans alike. Many times, it's simply that the player can't handle the NFL.

In answer to your "HUH?"
Do you remember Williams got suspended before Fisher's first season? Fisher left the DC job open until 2013, when he hired Tim Walton who had been the Lion's secondary coach. The defense sucked and he was fired before the season was over. Just another example of poor hiring decisions. He liked to go inexperienced with his coaching hires. It backfired on him more than once or twice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In answer to your "HUH?"
Do you remember Williams got suspended before Fisher's first season? Fisher left the DC job open until 2013, when he hired Tim Walton who had been the Lion's secondary coach. The defense sucked and he was fired before the season was over. Just another example of poor hiring decisions. He liked to go inexperienced with his coaching hires. It backfired on him more than once or twice.

Yeah Walton is a great example of where Fisher's priority is. He made a bad hire on defense but immediately moved to fix it and bring in a proven DC in Williams. That was the correct response.

But then look at the offensive side of the ball. Schottenheimer was an uninspired hire from day one. Then he was kept on far too long. Then of course replaced two seasons in a row by guys that were not ready.

What is funny is we discussed so many good OC options here and on other fan sites, all of which were not good enough for Jeff Fisher. But honestly I believe had he hired one of them he might still have a job. Martz, as much as many do not like him, was out there and even quoted in an interview in saying he couldn't watch the Rams offense, that it was too painful. That dude would have given Fish what he lacked--offensive knowledge in his staff--and pushed the productivity up resulting in hope. Plus he'd be a second coordinator that no team would hire away as head coach, which would have been valuable for long term stability.

I hope Fish learned that lesson above. I really do, so that that if he gets another shot he can flip the script on what folks say about him. Still like the guy and think he has a lot of the elements you want in a coach, just way too smug in what he knows vice admitting to himself he needs help on that other side of the ball.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I saw the video of Fish addressing the team with the same news and I mentioned it in a different post about the show. I have been very critical of his performance at HC for more than two years and I think it was absolutely the right decision to fire him. It was like a mercy-fire because he just had no clue how to create and operate a modern NFL offense. I have always liked the man and I know he did his best here, as he knew how to do it. Such as sad end for him and I hope he enjoys the next step in his life.
Classy as always LR.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
tenor.gif

Reporter to Fisher;
" Hey Coach, did you find that red flag yet?

Fisher; "Yeah. I got it right here in my pocket".

"Here it is". :D

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
In answer to your "HUH?"

Left it open? Didn't Blake Williams take over, along with Chuck Cecil and Dave McGinnis?

It's funny, I actually looked up stats (something I rarely do now) to see how they ranked.

2012 - 14th in points, 114th in total yards

2013 - 13th in points, 15th in total yards

If that's "sucking", well bah gawd I can't wait to see what Wade Phillips can do.

Also, Tim Walton was never fired in the season. He was basically a 1 year rental coach. Besides, it was said that he had a lesser role in the defense, hence the rankings improving towards the end of the season.