Video: Jeff Fisher tells his staff he's been fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
I saw the video of Fish addressing the team with the same news and I mentioned it in a different post about the show. I have been very critical of his performance at HC for more than two years and I think it was absolutely the right decision to fire him. It was like a mercy-fire because he just had no clue how to create and operate a modern NFL offense. I have always liked the man and I know he did his best here, as he knew how to do it. Such as sad end for him and I hope he enjoys the next step in his life.

where'd you see the video of his addressing the team?

bnw

Pro Bowler
I feel sorry for the guy who gets fired who barely makes ends meet for his family.
I have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy who has been HC for 20+ years. There's an incredibly long list of folks who never get that opportunity.

Frankly, I found myself a bit angry watching it, as it shows just how out of touch he is/was. The team was not good for the majority of his Rams career, and last year was just a disaster. The look of surprise just makes me shake my head.
I agree and disagree. He certainly won't have to work so being there for his staff is the classy thing to do. I disagree that he was out of touch with management since management announced his contract extension only a few days before he was fired.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wow, that was actually a little hard to watch, you can hear the pain in his voice.

We're better off for it, but damn I feel for the guy. His coaching might be outdated, but you can't question his love for the game and for his team.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
As someone who constantly talks a lot of shit about his ineptitude on offense, he did handle himself as a HC pretty well. I'm still grateful for him rebuilding the roster from a nucleus of nobodies to a respectable squad. A lot of that anger stems mainly from defending him a lot throughout the years, only to get disappointing results outside of our division.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Like when he trotted out all the draft choices the Rams got when they had the coin flip against Washington.

I thought that was funny as f*ck, I would have done the same. It would have been even better if they had WON though.

It's not only 35 mill. He's getting 7 mill this year. So that's 42 mill.

Plus, all the money he made with the Titans all those years. He's easily sitting on 60+ plus mill.

Not if he has an over sized posse........and we don't know about his posse..........he may have a huge monthly overhead

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
Interesting how this post went from thank you for your service to get fu*ked, he gave his life for 5 years just to deal with what upper management gave him and we all know was a bust. Do I feel sorry for anyone getting paid 42 mill to hunt and fish, no but that's the system. Fish worked with what he was given, Rob Boras....realy?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Interesting how this post went from thank you for your service to get fu*ked, he gave his life for 5 years just to deal with what upper management gave him and we all know was a bust. Do I feel sorry for anyone getting paid 42 mill to hunt and fish, no but that's the system. Fish worked with what he was given, Rob Boras....realy?

Actually he worked with what he chose. So yeah, it is his fault. He made personel decisions. Not this "upper management" that you feel like blaming.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Aaron Donald mum on contract talks, but quick to praise Rams’ new coaches

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: June 29, 2017 at 1:43 pm | UPDATED: June 29, 2017 at 3:27 pm
SANTA MONICA – Aaron Donald seems pleased. The star defensive tackle increasingly is a part of the Southern California community, his kids are enjoying swim classes and he has effusive praise for the Rams’ new coaches.

There’s only one sure way to quiet Donald: Ask him about his new contract, or lack thereof.

Donald’s contract with the Rams doesn’t expire until after the 2018 season, but extension negotiations have started. Donald raised some eyebrows in May and June when he skipped a portion of the Rams’ (optional) offseason program due to the contract issue, but he did attend a mandatory mini-camp two weeks ago.

Donald and Rams running back Todd Gurley volunteered on Thursday at a YMCA conditioning camp sponsored by Gatorade. In his first public comments since April, Donald smiled but deflected multiple questions about his contract situation and his mindset regarding it.

“I’m just doing my job and keeping myself how I’m supposed to keep myself, and just let that stuff handle itself,” Donald said at University High. “It’s a fun game, but a serious business at the end of the day.”

Asked about taking care of himself, in the context of the team’s offseason work, Donald grinned and said, “I’ve got two kids.”

Asked later, in a radio interview, if he would confirm whether he will attend the start of Rams training camp next month if he doesn’t have a new contract, Donald gave a brief, general answer about getting ready for the start of the season. Donald’s current deal calls for a base salary of $1.8 million in 2017 and $6.9 million in 2018.

Donald had effusive praise for new Rams coach Sean McVay (a former offensive coordinator) and veteran defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Multiple times he praised McVay’s intelligence and relayed a story from early in the Rams’ offseason program.

“I was itching my head about a play, a defensive play, and he came to me and said, ‘You’ve got to do this, this and this,’” Donald said. “I said, ‘Wow.’ I’ve never had a coach who knew what was going on on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side of the ball. He knows every single trick on both sides of the ball. He’s definitely a smart guy. There’s going to be a lot of good things coming.

“Wade is just … everybody knows Wade. I’m excited just to have the opportunity to be around the guy and learn from him.”

‘ALL OR NOTHING’ ON AMAZON
Donald also is one of the stars of the eight-part documentary series “All or Nothing: A Season with the Los Angeles Rams,” which will be available on Amazon Prime Video on Friday.

The series, in a way, is continuation of the “Hard Knocks” series that covered Rams training camp and aired on HBO last August. The NFL Films crew continued to follow the players, coaches and staff members and received behind-the-scenes access to on- and off-field moments.

Arguably the most compelling moments of the series involve former Coach Jeff Fisher. The cameras were running on Dec. 12 when Fisher was fired, and much of one episode is dedicated to Fisher breaking that news to his fellow coaches and Rams players.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/2...alks-but-is-quick-to-praise-rams-new-coaches/

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was excited about Jeff too, but he reused to adapt. I would have loved to see him give control of the offense up to a REAL OC and succeed. But, so is life. Let's go McVay

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I thought that Fisher did his best work during his first year with the Rams.

He just never received, or disregarded, that "wake up call" which Vermeil took to heart when his second year with the Rams proved so disappointing.

Oh well, Fisher and those coaches "fired" many a player because that player's performance(s) was judged inadequate.

C'es't la vie.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Looks like Fassel went to the William Shatner School Of Acting

giphy.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree that he was out of touch with management since management announced his contract extension only a few days before he was fired.
You mean the extension that was allegedly agreed to over the summer, and yet was kept secret until Fisher leaked it?

In any event my point is that Fisher being surprised he was on the hot seat after that disaster makes me wish they'd hire him back just so they could fire him again

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Interesting how this post went from thank you for your service to get fu*ked, he gave his life for 5 years just to deal with what upper management gave him and we all know was a bust.
What did upper management give him? $42M, 5 years to make something good. He picked his players and he picked his coaches. It might have been different if Bradford could stay healthy and the lock out didn't happen. He had some bad breaks, but what sealed the deal was his choice in horrible QBs after Bradford, the last season's coaching hires and the way he handled his rookie QB. It's like, yeah we mortgaged the farm and were in a new city, but hey why should I have any urgency. These newbie coaches will do.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I think things like this should remain behind closed doors, a moment for Fisher and his staff to share privately. Still that's the modern world film everything I guess.

I keep reading/hearing that this should've been a shared private moment.

Nobody for one moment better believe that Fish didn't know they were filming that segment.

If Fish felt it was a necessary private moment and didn't want it to be shown in the future, he could've found ways to keep it private if he absolutely wanted it that way.

Personally, I didn't get any joy from seeing this emotional segment on film.......

but I was very elated the day "Fish" was officially let go.

addon.php
_______
filmowcy%2Bw%2Bpracy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The last two seasons he looked tired and bloated. Getting fired might have been a good thing for him. Yeah, head coaches make an unreal amount of money but they also put in tons of time working even during the offseason. That plus the stress of continually losing and the move from St. Louis may have pushed him over the edge physically and mentally.

Am I glad he's gone? Yeah! But I was also glad when Mike Martz got canned. :sneaky:

Sean+McVay.jpg

Let's hope Sean McVay doesn't end up looking like this after 5 seasons with the Rams.

roflbot.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not the first time a head coach's hires got him axed. Almost five years. If he had gotten that OC hire right, things would have been much different.

Either way I don't hate on the guy, he had his time and didn't get it done.

Scirca

Rookie
I'm glad he was fired. I feel no sympathy for him. This is business, in fact, he got lucky they fired him in time before he became the coach with the most loses in NFL history.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I thought that Fisher did his best work during his first year with the Rams.

He just never received, or disregarded, that "wake up call" which Vermeil took to heart when his second year with the Rams proved so disappointing.

Oh well, Fisher and those coaches "fired" many a player because that player's performance(s) was judged inadequate.

C'es't la vie.

Everything went wrong for the guy.

Never having consistency at QB, signing guys with all-pro records and Pro Bowl appearances that end up hurt, drafting not one, but TWO running backs that ended up with mental issues, a promising WR gets shot in the head, top pass rusher having back issues, 2 of his 3 CBs getting hurt, etc. I could go on.

There are a quite a number of legit criticisms for Jeff Fisher and friends, really all of them. The amount of shit he's gotten the past year or so, IMO is unnecessary.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
He should have stepped down. But I think his pride and his loyalty to the guys he brought aboard wouldn't have allowed him to do that. I appreciated the way he carried himself and the way he fought for his guys. But he did not adapt to the game and brought in coaches that were NOT up to the task.

NONE of the guys underneath him could challenge him for his spot, and I think he liked that. No way to grow if you never get out of your comfort zone... Fisher stuck with what got him there and it's the same complacency that got him fired. Was at the home game when the first FIRE FISHER chants rang out. It was intense. The writing was on the wall... sucks, because he loves the game... but it was time.