Video Interview: Jackson w/The Wall Street Journal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[wsj][/wsj]

Now that NFL running back Steven Jackson has voided his contract with the St. Louis Rams after 9 years with the team, the veteran 29-year-old power-back admits that stepping officially into free agency on March 12 will feel a bit surreal.

“I’ve only been a part of one organization, so this is all new to me. I kind of feel like I’m being drafted again,” he told The Wall Street Journal in a recent interview.

Jackson’s name has been churning through the NFL rumor mill in recent days, as analysts and fans speculate as to which teams could be a good fit for the aging but well-conditioned and brawny Jackson. In an era in which running backs typically don’t last long beyond the age of 30, Jackson told the WSJ that he hopes to be exception to that trend. “I’ll be 30 before the season starts, but I don’t look at it like I’m at the end of my career. I’m still physically fit, I’m more of a leader, and I’m stronger now than I was in my early 20s,” he said.

Jackson says his main focus going forward will be winning a Super Bowl. “I would easily say I could play another four or five (years), but that all comes (down) to mindset. I think a lot of times football players, not due to injury, some of the guys lose their passion,” he said. “What has been deprived me in my career is winning. So I’m still hungry for that.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/03/08/video-steen-jackson-tests-the-market/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/03/0 ... he-market/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ESPN speculates 5 landing spots for SJ.

Me; there is no chance in hell he ends up in Detroit.

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9024127/2013-nfl-free-agency-five-best-fits-running-back-steven-jackson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... en-jackson</a>

Let's take a look at the five best fits for Jackson:

Detroit Lions

Detroit has big salary-cap issues and with the Lions' wealth of other needs they probably can't afford to spend big money on a running back -- although Jackson could balance that offense nicely. Also, the Lions are probably not likely to contend for a title in 2013.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Although the Steelers snagged Jerome Bettis from the Rams some years ago, they too have serious salary-cap issues. Jackson would be a great fit in this offense and a massive upgrade over fellow big backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, but chances are that Pittsburgh will spend what little money it does have elsewhere and build through the draft as usual.

The Bengals certainly could use someone to take pressure off Andy Dalton, who isn't able to be the focal point of an offense like Matthew Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan. The Bengals also have an awful lot of cap room to use. They have a good offensive line, especially if tackle Andre Smith is brought back, and they have been to the playoffs in each of the past two seasons. BenJarvus Green-Ellis is pedestrian in all departments, but he could help with carries on early downs to ease some of the pressure off Jackson's shoulders. Adding youth at the position, preferably someone with big-play ability, via the draft should still be considered even if Jackson were brought in.

Green Bay Packers

No team devalues the running back position as much as the Packers, but Jackson is built for that climate. And with that fantastic passing attack, Jackson would see many favorable fronts to run against -- something he hasn't been accustomed to over his career. Aaron Rodgers would love him as a dump-off option as well and DuJuan Harris would be a nice change of pace to the bigger Jackson, who provides a power back mentality between the tackles that Green Bay has lacked. But would Green Bay actually spend the money needed to land Jackson? It's unlikely, especially since the Packers have major concerns with their offensive line and need reinforcements in their front seven. The Packers do have ample cap space, though.

Atlanta Falcons

This could be Jackson's best fit, narrowly over Cincinnati and Green Bay. However, even though this is a contending team, it has many needs: The Falcons need to fortify their safety and cornerback spots with William Moore and Brent Grimes entering free agency; they need a coverage linebacker and plenty of pass-rush help; and they also have to find a successor for Tony Gonzalez, even if he does decide to play in 2013. Running back is a massive need for the Falcons, especially since Michael Turner was recently released. Jacquizz Rodgers remains in the mix, but he isn't an every-down back. Rodgers would provide a fine complement to Jackson, and like in Green Bay with the Falcons' great passing game he would see very favorable boxes to run against. Atlanta has ample cap space, but will they have enough money left after trying to re-sign their own free agents?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he leaves the Rams to go to Detroit, I'll track him down in Laos and choke him out.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
SJ seems to be unaware that a big part of why he feels good is the limited number of carries he had this year.

Oh well,he and his new team are in for a big surprise if he gets 25 touches a game on a 30 year old body that OBTW HAD back surgery once already. When that happened I figured he had two decent years left and I HAVE noticed his knees don't lift as high as they once did.
I hate like hell seeing him go, but reality is reality, a dragon lives forever ,but not so little boys.

jap

Legend
Thordaddy said:
SJ seems to be unaware that a big part of why he feels good is the limited number of carries he had this year.

Yep, Fish used him very intelligently last season, platooning him with DR for the first half of the season before turning him loose on opponents in the seconds half. I suppose they want him to take a further step back this coming season to allow Isaiah and DR to start spreading their NFL wings. Terrance Ganaway still needs his official "Welcome to the NFL!" touches.

I wonder if the Rams brass will seriously consider drafting Marcus Lattimore, who is undoubtedly the most instinctive & most talented RB when healthy? With Ganaway, Pead, & DR in the backfield, we can bring Marcus along more slowly and alow him to recover fully before turning him loose on the rest of the NFL.