Video: Interference - How Organized Crime Influences Professional Football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You can get a used copy on Amazon for $3. Get a dose of reality by an author who specializes in investigating organized crime.

51BiuzaakWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Interference-Organized-Influences-Professional-Football

This is an interesting account of what has gone on behind the scenes of professional football. The author provides an assortment of stories and accounts that the NFL has largely kept from the public.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not saying it isn't possible. In fact I believe the NFL fixes games when they want a specific outcome. Pats/Rams SB and the Steelers/Seahawks SB stand out.

But this was written in the 80s. Today players, especially QBs make enough money that they have no need for a bookies money. College players on the otherhand....

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
The same thing happens in all sports.

Just this morning, there's a story that one of the head honchos at the (English) Football Association says that the league needs a successful Manchester United for foreign markets and commercial revenue.

Makes all those favourable decisions they've received over the years more understandable, that's for certain.

nighttrain

Legend
I think the league, and it's use of referees has more to do with outcome of games than any mobster could ever hope, or conceive. Some calls every week leave the viewers astounded.
train
PS as a former Bookie out in Cali, I speak with some knowledge of what I'm sayin

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'd like to solve the puzzle Pat...

"Vanna White is more qualified to interview him"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
David Stern's NBA.
He was commissioner from 1984 until he announced his pending retirement 2 years ago.
The number of different NBA teams that won championships from 1984-2013 ? Eight.
Only eight teams in 30 years, and that includes a rogue championship from the Dallas Mavericks in 2011. So make that 7 different teams in 29 years.

The first NBA lottery for draft position under Stern in 1985, in which the NY Knicks miraculously beat the odds and got the first pick, and rejuvenated that franchise with future HOF'r Patrick Ewing...the big superstar big man. "New York....New York..." Commonly referred to as the frozen envelope draft or the creased envelope containing the NY Knicks team logo inside. David Stern was a NY city native btw. The NBA needed NY to be a factor again. Stern did his best to make it happen.

The Tim Donaghy referee scandal in 2007. The idea that this scandal was just one referee betting on games and working alone and an anomaly is simply ridiculous. Any casual NBA fan would tell you just how inconsistent...how agenda-driven and "star power" driven these officials operated nightly.

Just a few highlights above.

Stern made the NBA rich, corrupt and eventually, finally it has begun to crap out. I was an avid fan of the game from 1981 untilt around six years ago when i could take it no more. I don't watch anymore.

I could post a full page on this subject but instead... i'll just say have a nice day! :LOL:

/mojo's soap box rant

Last edited:

PhxRam

David Stern's NBA.
He was commissioner from 1984 until he announced his pending retirement 2 years ago.
The number of different NBA teams that won championships from 1984-2013 ? Eight.
Only eight teams in 30 years, and that includes a rogue championship from the Dallas Mavericks in 2011. So make that 7 different teams in 29 years.

The first NBA lottery for draft position under Stern in 1985, in which the NY Knicks miraculously beat the odds and got the first pick, and rejuvenated that franchise with future HOF'r Patrick Ewing...the big superstar big man. "New York....New York..." Commonly referred to as the frozen envelope draft or the creased envelope containing the NY Knicks team logo inside. David Stern was a NY city native btw. The NBA needed NY to be a factor again. Stern did his best to make it happen.

The Tim Donaghy referee scandal in 2007. The idea that this scandal was just one referee betting on games and working alone and an anomaly is simply ridiculous. Any casual NBA fan would tell you just how agenda-driven and "star power" driven these officials operated nightly.

Stern made the NBA rich, corrupt and eventually, finally it has begun to crap out. I was an avid fan of the game from 1981 untilt around six years ago when i could take it no more. I don't watch anymore.

I could post a full page on this subject but instead... i'll just say have a nice day! :LOL:

/mojo's soap box rant

Ewing was probably the most dominant player in NCAA since I have been watching.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
David Stern's NBA.

The Tim Donaghy referee scandal in 2007. The idea that this scandal was just one referee betting on games and working alone and an anomaly is simply ridiculous. Any casual NBA fan would tell you just inconsistent...how agenda-driven and "star power" driven these officials operated nightly.

/mojo's soap box rant

Agreed and I think there may be a day where Football is viewed the same way and I will quit watching. I have too many suspicions already with bogus calls by refs to allow myself to ignore them.

PhxRam

Agreed and I think there may be a day where Football is viewed the same way and I will quit watching. I have too many suspicions already with bogus calls by refs to allow myself to ignore them.

It not really the calls that bother me as much as the disparity of calls.

A team like NE can mug receivers all day long and maybe get called once a game. The 49ers DL can hold all game long, be called out publicly on it, and yet it still doesnt get called.

Then you have teams that are called for the smallest infractions on seemingly every scoring drive.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
As Phx says, it's the blatant disparity in the flags which is most annoying.

Justin Smith holds on nearly every single down, allowing Aldon Smith to make plays, yet never gets called. Nobody ever comments upon this.

And don't get me started on the Cheatriots! I went to the Rams' game at Wembley in 2012 and we were flagged for non-existent infractions while the Patsies got away with everything. I have never seen more one-sided officiating in my life, even in soccer matches (and that's saying something).

Overall, however, I'd say that arbitration is worse in soccer than it is in the NFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It not really the calls that bother me as much as the disparity of calls.

A team like NE can mug receivers all day long and maybe get called once a game. The 49ers DL can hold all game long, be called out publicly on it, and yet it still doesnt get called.

Then you have teams that are called for the smallest infractions on seemingly every scoring drive.

Like our team seems to be?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As Phx says, it's the blatant disparity in the flags which is most annoying.

Justin Smith holds on nearly every single down, allowing Aldon Smith to make plays, yet never gets called. Nobody ever comments upon this.

And don't get me started on the Cheatriots! I went to the Rams' game at Wembley in 2012 and we were flagged for non-existent infractions while the Patsies got away with everything. I have never seen more one-sided officiating in my life, even in soccer matches (and that's saying something).

Overall, however, I'd say that arbitration is worse in soccer than it is in the NFL.

NOT disagreeing that perennial playoff teams get the calls,I completely agree there,but as far as Smith holding,what he does isn't called because he does it on the way to the QB,if he just sat on the LOS and did what he does,it would be called.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
NOT disagreeing that perennial playoff teams get the calls,I completely agree there,but as far as Smith holding,what he does isn't called because he does it on the way to the QB,if he just sat on the LOS and did what he does,it would be called.
So holding is fine under certain circumstances?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
So holding is fine under certain circumstances?
For a d-lineman going upfield towards the QB, yes,Smith incorporates upfield movement in his and gets away with what he wouldn't if he was just holding and holding his ground

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not saying it isn't possible. In fact I believe the NFL fixes games when they want a specific outcome. Pats/Rams SB and the Steelers/Seahawks SB stand out.

But this was written in the 80s. Today players, especially QBs make enough money that they have no need for a bookies money. College players on the otherhand....
I posted because I think some think roses grow out of the owners' backsides, and I wanted to share another perspective on what this league has grown out of, which is not buried by billion dollar highly sophisticated media spinning. The leopard behind the lipstick is still there. Perhaps the sophistication of tools employed have changed, but I don't think the animal's spots have changed color.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
For a d-lineman going upfield towards the QB, yes,Smith incorporates upfield movement in his and gets away with what he wouldn't if he was just holding and holding his ground
Nah. Holding is a foul, no matter how you attempt to justify it.