Victory in St. Louis: How to Make it Happen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
By Joe Stanfill@papapegasus on Sep 5 2014, 9:00a 40
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/9/5/6107293/st-louis-minnesota-vikings-keys-to-victory

20131222_jla_ac1_425.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

How can the Rams enjoy a post-victory speech by head coach Jeff Fisher? Well constant reader, scroll on.

The Minnesota Vikings come to town looking for a win against the home team. Here's how the St. Louis Rams can send them home hanging their heads.

Protecting Shaun Hill and Opening Holes for Zac Stacy- Any fan of football can tell you that if the quarterback is on his back his team will lose. I keep hearing about how Shaun Hill is a backup quarterback. The Rams offensive line has a starter under center and have to protect him like one. The alternative is having Case Keenum or Austin Davis handing the ball off to Stacy for the 2014 season.

The success of keeping Hill upright will depend on the effectiveness of the running game by Zac Stacy and company. If you can effectively run the ball the opposing defense can be caught on their heels, allowing the offensive line that split second advantage on passing downs. Shaun Hill is smart with the ball, boasting just 23 interceptions for 954 pass attempts. That's just one interception for every 41 pass attempts, and everyone knows the Rams won't toss the pigskin anywhere near 41 times per game.

Robert Quinn Must be Robert Quinn- Simply put right? People tend to focus on the fact that the Viking's most dangerous weapon is Adrian Peterson. I'll tell you what- he isn't. The most dangerous part of the Vikings offense is which ever journeyman quarterback is under center. Adrian Peterson is going to run the ball, and he's going to have a better day than most will against the Ram's fearsome defense. That's going to let Matt Cassel take the top off of the Ram's D.

Robert Quinn has to turn it up and disrupt any offensive rhythm the Vikings try to establish, starting with the quarterback. Having the quarterback's rhythm crushed will force a one-dimensional attack. The Rams were 5-2 against non-divisional opponents in 2013 when Quinn registered at least 1 sack. Robert Quinn must be unleashed!

Turnover Differential- He who turnith over thy ball shall lose. Over the past 5 seasons, teams with a positive turnover differential (more takeaways than giveaways) have an 810-220-2 record (coldhardfootballfacts.com). Under the guidance of new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the Rams will be hitting hard and putting helmets and hands on footballs. With Williams blitz heavy attack, the Rams will have plenty of chances to get after the ball. Anyone care to predict what the Ram's season turnover differential will be?

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
Also, We need to be loud !! Make it feel like a home field advantage.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
By Joe Stanfill@papapegasus on Sep 5 2014, 9:00a 40
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/9/5/6107293/st-louis-minnesota-vikings-keys-to-victory

20131222_jla_ac1_425.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

How can the Rams enjoy a post-victory speech by head coach Jeff Fisher? Well constant reader, scroll on.

The Minnesota Vikings come to town looking for a win against the home team. Here's how the St. Louis Rams can send them home hanging their heads.

Protecting Shaun Hill and Opening Holes for Zac Stacy- Any fan of football can tell you that if the quarterback is on his back his team will lose. I keep hearing about how Shaun Hill is a backup quarterback. The Rams offensive line has a starter under center and have to protect him like one. The alternative is having Case Keenum or Austin Davishanding the ball off to Stacy for the 2014 season.

The success of keeping Hill upright will depend on the effectiveness of the running game by Zac Stacy and company. If you can effectively run the ball the opposing defense can be caught on their heels, allowing the offensive line that split second advantage on passing downs. Shaun Hill is smart with the ball, boasting just 23 interceptions for 954 pass attempts. That's just one interception for every 41 pass attempts, and everyone knows the Rams won't toss the pigskin anywhere near 41 times per game.

Robert Quinn Must be Robert Quinn- Simply put right? People tend to focus on the fact that the Viking's most dangerous weapon is Adrian Peterson. I'll tell you what- he isn't. The most dangerous part of the Vikings offense is which ever journeyman quarterback is under center. Adrian Peterson is going to run the ball, and he's going to have a better day than most will against the Ram's fearsome defense. That's going to letMatt Cassel take the top off of the Ram's D.

Robert Quinn has to turn it up and disrupt any offensive rhythm the Vikings try to establish, starting with the quarterback. Having the quarterback's rhythm crushed will force a one-dimensional attack. The Rams were 5-2 against non-divisional opponents in 2013 when Quinn registered at least 1 sack. Robert Quinn must be unleashed!

Turnover Differential- He who turnith over thy ball shall lose. Over the past 5 seasons, teams with a positive turnover differential (more takeaways than giveaways) have an 810-220-2 record (coldhardfootballfacts.com). Under the guidance of new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the Rams will be hitting hard and putting helmets and hands on footballs. With Williams blitz heavy attack, the Rams will have plenty of chances to get after the ball. Anyone care to predict what the Ram's season turnover differential will be?
The Rams were +8 in Turnovers Last year, I expect us to be much improved with Coach Williams D!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He left out our knack for getting penalties at just the wrong time especially on ST's. That needs to be greatly reduced in this game and every game this season. Fisher's teams for some reason are penalty prone.

Rambition

Rookie
He left out our knack for getting penalties at just the wrong time especially on ST's. That needs to be greatly reduced in this game and every game this season. Fisher's teams for some reason are penalty prone.
lots of people point to the teams' youth as the main reason for that, but in my view, the main reason for that has been that fisher simply has not put a priority on reducing those penalties. perhaps he feels that reducing the penalties would require reigning in his players too much, and that there is a net gain in continuing in this fashion.

personally, i find it frustrating as hell to watch.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams defense has gotten quite a bit of praise this offseason before they've actually proven anything yet. This team wins the same way the won vs. the Saints, Colts, Texans, Bears last year. Defense forces turnovers of which the offense takes advantage while the offense limits their turnovers. Simple as that, IMO.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The Rams defense has gotten quite a bit of praise this offseason before they've actually proven anything yet. This team wins the same way the won vs. the Saints, Colts, Texans, Bears last year. Defense forces turnovers of which the offense takes advantage while the offense limits their turnovers. Simple as that, IMO.

I'd like to add that Shaun Hill with a much better rec.corps than we've had has to be every bit as good as Sam with the lesser recs. maybe better

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
"Shaun Hill is smart with the ball, boasting just 23 interceptions for 954 pass attempts. That's just one interception for every 41 pass attempts, and everyone knows the Rams won't toss the pigskin anywhere near 41 times per game."

I did not know this stat. I know we can win with Shaun but this gives me even more confidence.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
"Shaun Hill is smart with the ball, boasting just 23 interceptions for 954 pass attempts. That's just one interception for every 41 pass attempts, and everyone knows the Rams won't toss the pigskin anywhere near 41 times per game."

I did not know this stat. I know we can win with Shaun but this gives me even more confidence.

Me too, add in Britt and an improved Quick Tavon Bailey and Givens streaking down the field pulling the safety we might have a damned good passing attack.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See that prediction on Nfl.com they have Vikings up 26-20 lmao. I can't wait til we surprise the league and go 3-0 before the bye and tough stretch